From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: News pictures on a loop
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 22:07:46 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 22:07 UTC

I can understand running a loop of the same clips of video in coverage
like the release of the hostages but why can't they time-stamp the
pictures so we know when they taken. Though BBC News has left a
"LATEST" time-stamp on the pictures for ages.

Re: News pictures on a loop

<$h3wd6pnYnYlFwaR@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9738&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9738

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 22:33:11 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: News pictures on a loop
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 22:33 UTC

In message <ujtr7i$2uu5e$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 25 Nov 2023 22:07:46,
JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> writes
>I can understand running a loop of the same clips of video in coverage
>like the release of the hostages but why can't they time-stamp the
>pictures so we know when they taken. Though BBC News has left a
>"LATEST" time-stamp on the pictures for ages.

I've been saying news footage should be time (and date) stamped for
ages. Nobody's interested. The news channel is very obviously aimed at
dippers, not long-term viewers.

Another irritant: "designated as a terrorist organisation by the UK". If
they're going to say it at all, it should be (as it was occasionally at
the start) "by the UK and some other countries", or similar; only
mentioning the UK gives an incorrect impression. But I'd certainly live
with that one if I could have timestamps. (And a few more maps and other
such info. - such as figures - rather than a talking head _in vision_,
which adds nothing at all.)

Advertising is legalized lying. - H.G. Wells

Re: News pictures on a loop

<ujv5sd$37odl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9739&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9739

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 10:15:41 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 10:15 UTC

On 25/11/2023 22:33, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> Another irritant: "designated as a terrorist organisation by the UK". If
> they're going to say it at all, it should be (as it was occasionally at
> the start) "by the UK and some other countries", or similar; only
> mentioning the UK gives an incorrect impression. But I'd certainly live
> with that one if I could have timestamps. (And a few more maps and other
> such info. - such as figures - rather than a talking head _in vision_,
> which adds nothing at all.)

They do sometimes say something like that.

When this all started, the Daily Mail and others kept attacking the BBC
for calling the HAMAS terrorists 'militants' even though they were doing
the same themselves!

I noticed today that the Daily Mail report of yesterday hostage release
still keeps calling the HAMAS terrorists 'militants' - I am sure not
just the Daily Mail though the Guardian probably calls them Freedom
Fighters.

It is probably better to timestamp the footage with actual date and time
rather than "LATEST".

Re: News pictures on a loop

<2CrCVNuUs1YlFw5O@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9745&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9745

Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:49:56 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:49 UTC

In message <ujv5sd$37odl$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 26 Nov 2023 10:15:41,
JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> writes
[]
>It is probably better to timestamp the footage with actual date and
>time rather than "LATEST".

Of course it would be. But that would mean admitting.

As individuals, politicians are usually quite charming, so it is quite hard to
dislike them, but in most cases, it is worth making the effort.
- Mark Williams (UMRA), 2013-4-26