From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Greatest Hits Radio to depart medium wave
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 11:21:33 +0000
 by: Scott - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 11:21 UTC

See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67409426

GHR stations in other parts of the UK will also stop AM broadcasting
in the next few weeks. However in some areas, including the Borders
and Dumfries and Galloway, the station is transmitted on FM.

The changes come as the UK government's Media Bill works its way
through parliament.

It is expected to lead to significant regulatory changes for
commercial radio. It may make it easier for stations to change their
formats or share programmes providing they maintain commitments to
local news and information.

Re: Greatest Hits Radio to depart medium wave

<uk9rn5$1bc8n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9771&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9771

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Greatest Hits Radio to depart medium wave
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:29:37 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:29 UTC

Well that I'm afraid is a train which has already left the station. In most
of the big network owners stations you can get regional adverts and an
occasional traffic report or news item, but most of it seems to sound like
the same station nationwide, and nothing but a pre set playlist over night.
I wonder how long Boom Radio can be independent. I can recall when Smooth
was run by ex BBC people and genuinely tried to be different, but then they
sold out to Global and pretty soon documentaries and rare music stuff
vanished in vour of restricted playlists and general dumbed down content.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67409426
>
> GHR stations in other parts of the UK will also stop AM broadcasting
> in the next few weeks. However in some areas, including the Borders
> and Dumfries and Galloway, the station is transmitted on FM.
>
> The changes come as the UK government's Media Bill works its way
> through parliament.
>
> It is expected to lead to significant regulatory changes for
> commercial radio. It may make it easier for stations to change their
> formats or share programmes providing they maintain commitments to
> local news and information.

Re: Greatest Hits Radio to depart medium wave

<dusgmihcuoih3ds23t2a5j9iiubf1j321m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9773&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9773

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:39:36 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:39 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:29:37 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

>Well that I'm afraid is a train which has already left the station. In most
>of the big network owners stations you can get regional adverts and an
>occasional traffic report or news item, but most of it seems to sound like
>the same station nationwide, and nothing but a pre set playlist over night.
> I wonder how long Boom Radio can be independent. I can recall when Smooth
>was run by ex BBC people and genuinely tried to be different, but then they
>sold out to Global and pretty soon documentaries and rare music stuff
>vanished in vour of restricted playlists and general dumbed down content.
> Brian

You are right though there is another train following in the shape of
DAB. Now we get 'The Greatest Hits, Glasgow and the West' instead of
'Clyde 2' and we hear about the Glasgow LEZ.