The world is coming to an end--save your buffers!

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh adverts

SubjectAuthor
* Times Radio Wales/Welsh advertsAndy Burns
`* Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh advertsMark Carver
 +* Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh advertsJMB99
 |`* Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh advertsMark Carver
 | `* Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh advertsJMB99
 |  `- Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh advertsScott
 `* Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh advertsBrian Gaff
  `- Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh advertsJ. P. Gilliver

1
Times Radio Wales/Welsh adverts

<ks14f2F37h6U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9702&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9702

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Times Radio Wales/Welsh adverts
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:15:12 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:15 UTC

Not exactly broadcast, as I'm listening using streaming devices, I know
they replace adverts with local/regional variations, but since the
weekend I've been getting adverts intended for Wales here in the East
Midlands.

Some are in English for Welsh businesses, others in Welsh apparently for
NHS organ donation.

Playout system confused?

Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh adverts

<ks180iFrb0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9703&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9703

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh adverts
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 14:15:43 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 14:15 UTC

On 20/11/2023 13:15, Andy Burns wrote:
> Not exactly broadcast, as I'm listening using streaming devices, I know
> they replace adverts with local/regional variations, but since the
> weekend I've been getting adverts intended for Wales here in the East
> Midlands.
>
> Some are in English for Welsh businesses, others in Welsh apparently for
> NHS organ donation.

I listen to Times Radio quite a bit. When indoors via Alexa. I can't say
I've noticed any 'wrong ads'

My Plusnet connection confuses C4's streaming service, because that
seems to think I live in Manchester (gong by some of the local ads) when
I live in Hampshire.

Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh adverts

<ujfrk5$bl18$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9704&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9704

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 14:48:36 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 14:48 UTC

On 20/11/2023 14:15, Mark Carver wrote:
> I listen to Times Radio quite a bit. When indoors via Alexa. I can't say
> I've noticed any 'wrong ads'
>
> My Plusnet connection confuses C4's streaming service, because that
> seems to think I live in Manchester (gong by some of the local ads) when
> I live in Hampshire.

Interesting, everyone seems keen to encourage streaming, they might get
more data on numbers of listeners but even without VPNs the indicated
location can be that of the ISP and not the listeners, and advertisers
are often very keen on targeting adverts to a particular area which is
easier with terrestrial transmitters.

Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh adverts

<ks1d62FravU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9705&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9705

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 15:43:59 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 15:43 UTC

On 20/11/2023 14:48, JMB99 wrote:
> On 20/11/2023 14:15, Mark Carver wrote:
>> I listen to Times Radio quite a bit. When indoors via Alexa. I can't
>> say I've noticed any 'wrong ads'
>>
>> My Plusnet connection confuses C4's streaming service, because that
>> seems to think I live in Manchester (gong by some of the local ads)
>> when I live in Hampshire.
>

> Interesting, everyone seems keen to encourage streaming, they might get
> more data on numbers of listeners but even without VPNs the indicated
> location can be that of the ISP and not the listeners, and advertisers
> are often very keen on targeting adverts to a particular area which is
> easier with terrestrial transmitters.

Alexa should know exactly where I live, she's often anxious to tell me
an Amazon order is out for delivery !

Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh adverts

<ujgn9o$gepn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9707&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9707

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 22:40:55 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 22:40 UTC

On 20/11/2023 15:43, Mark Carver wrote:

> Alexa should know exactly where I live, she's often anxious to tell me
> an Amazon order is out for delivery !

But she is probably not allowed to tell anyone else, privacy etc.

Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh adverts

<r7onli54jibt02e4gp2prlr1nlaler1a0o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9708&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9708

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 22:44:10 +0000
 by: Scott - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 22:44 UTC

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 22:40:55 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 20/11/2023 15:43, Mark Carver wrote:
>>
>> Alexa should know exactly where I live, she's often anxious to tell me
>> an Amazon order is out for delivery !
>
>But she is probably not allowed to tell anyone else, privacy etc.

It will be in paragraph 76.27 of the terms and conditions :-)

Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh adverts

<uk9t3j$1bj27$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9776&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9776

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:53:20 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:53 UTC

Yes, Amazon has me in the right place, but Google keeps moving me around
the se of England. I suspect that the answer to this is that something is
using the node address of the portal your isp is injecting you into is
located, not you yourself. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Mark Carver" <mark@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On 20/11/2023 13:15, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Not exactly broadcast, as I'm listening using streaming devices, I know
>> they replace adverts with local/regional variations, but since the
>> weekend I've been getting adverts intended for Wales here in the East
>> Midlands.
>>
>> Some are in English for Welsh businesses, others in Welsh apparently for
>> NHS organ donation.
>
> I listen to Times Radio quite a bit. When indoors via Alexa. I can't say
> I've noticed any 'wrong ads'
>
> My Plusnet connection confuses C4's streaming service, because that seems
> to think I live in Manchester (gong by some of the local ads) when I live
> in Hampshire.

Re: Times Radio Wales/Welsh adverts

<yi$kfx2dFJalFwLs@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9792&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9792

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:42:53 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:42 UTC

In message <uk9t3j$1bj27$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:53:20,
Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
>Yes, Amazon has me in the right place, but Google keeps moving me around
>the se of England. I suspect that the answer to this is that something is
>using the node address of the portal your isp is injecting you into is
>located, not you yourself. Brian

Amazon knows your delivery address, if you've ever bought from (or, I
suspect, through) them. IP-based locations I think do indeed use where
your ISP is (and may vary); mine certainly usually aren't even in the
same county (in fact I don't think they've ever been).

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change
[via Penny Mayes (mayes@pmail.net)]