Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. -- General Omar N. Bradley

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra

SubjectAuthor
* Radio Five Live Sports ExtraScott
+- Re: Radio Five Live Sports ExtraPhil
`* Re: Radio Five Live Sports ExtraBrian Gaff
 `* Re: Radio Five Live Sports ExtraScott
  `* Re: Radio Five Live Sports ExtraBrian Gaff
   +* Re: Radio Five Live Sports ExtraJMB99
   |+- Re: Radio Five Live Sports ExtraMark Carver
   |`- Re: Radio Five Live Sports ExtraBrian Gaff
   `* Re: Radio Five Live Sports ExtraPhil
    +- Re: Radio Five Live Sports ExtraBrian Gaff
    `* Re: Radio Five Live Sports ExtraScott
     `- Re: Radio Five Live Sports ExtraBrian Gaff

1
Radio Five Live Sports Extra

<02e7miliq45h33hirs5d17sa7pql4o13pi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9749&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9749

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Radio Five Live Sports Extra
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:31:34 +0000
 by: Scott - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:31 UTC

I did not realise this station had been renamed Radio 5 Sports Extra
(in 2022).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Radio_5_Sports_Extra

Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra

<uk5dof$ctlb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9763&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9763

From: philusenet1458@gmx.com (Phil)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:06:57 +0000
 by: Phil - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:06 UTC

On 26/11/2023 21:31, Scott wrote:
> I did not realise this station had been renamed Radio 5 Sports Extra
> (in 2022).
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Radio_5_Sports_Extra
Yes, I found it a strange move. Given it's the sister station of BBC
Radio 5 Live, which didn't change it's name and it's main purpose is
live sport commentary.

Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra

<uk9tvo$1bnhi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9784&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9784

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:08:21 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:08 UTC

I thought its always been called that, after all the other is Radio 5 Live.
This all came about when DAB was supposed to be wonderful and they could
easily create extra channels as and when needed to cover the world
tiddlywinks championships or whatever.
They did not want to tie it down to a name.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
>I did not realise this station had been renamed Radio 5 Sports Extra
> (in 2022).
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Radio_5_Sports_Extra

Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra

<fuugmita10jt81biatv3ssco3r77r11j39@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9786&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9786

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:12:20 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:12 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:08:21 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

>I thought its always been called that, after all the other is Radio 5 Live.
> This all came about when DAB was supposed to be wonderful and they could
>easily create extra channels as and when needed to cover the world
>tiddlywinks championships or whatever.
> They did not want to tie it down to a name.

Changed from 'Radio Five Live Sports Extra' to 'Radio Five Sports
Extra' (deleting 'Live').

Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra

<ukc8op$1qjje$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9800&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9800

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 09:24:38 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 09:24 UTC

I wonder how many committees it took to make that decision. 26 I'd imagine.
The BBC is getting more like the NHS every day!

Brian

--

--:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:08:21 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I thought its always been called that, after all the other is Radio 5
>>Live.
>> This all came about when DAB was supposed to be wonderful and they could
>>easily create extra channels as and when needed to cover the world
>>tiddlywinks championships or whatever.
>> They did not want to tie it down to a name.
>
> Changed from 'Radio Five Live Sports Extra' to 'Radio Five Sports
> Extra' (deleting 'Live').

Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra

<ukcjvk$1sa8n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9801&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9801

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 12:36:03 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 12:36 UTC

On 01/12/2023 09:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I wonder how many committees it took to make that decision. 26 I'd imagine.
> The BBC is getting more like the NHS every day!
>
> Brian

The BBC have often been accused of that but I think there have been many
times the BBC have been able to react quicker than ITV.

From memory, can't guarantee all correct but think there have been
other examples.

Weren't the BBC able to get breakfast TV started up whilst ITV were
still going through lots of committees?

ITV moved the evening news to late so the BBC moved their news to 22:00h
then ITV complained and wanted the BBC to moved their news away from 22:00h!

I remember our manager came back from one of their management meetings
and came up with the usual mantra of removing layers of management (they
always seem to end up back where it had always been). He gave an
example of Morrisons supermarkets where the person on the till could
take a problem direct to the store manager. So a colleague asked the
person on till next time he was in Morrisons, she was horrified - it had
to go through a whole series of layers - far more than we did, I
remember once taking a call direct from someone VERY senior and
regularly spoke to people quite senior. After privatisation, there was
a lot BS but we never saw or spoke to anyone senior.

Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra

<ksu50cF5baiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9802&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9802

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:22:14 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:22 UTC

On 01/12/2023 12:36, JMB99 wrote:

> Weren't the BBC able to get breakfast TV started up whilst ITV were
> still going through lots of committees?

No. They beat Tv-am (and not ITV BTW) to air by a fortnight, as a spoiler

Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra

<ukfaut$2cbth$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9811&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9811

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:20:25 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:20 UTC

That is a little like Internet isps where they assume its the customers
fault first of all so you never get a real tech person.
Brian

--

--:
"JMB99" <mb@nospam.net> wrote in message
> On 01/12/2023 09:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I wonder how many committees it took to make that decision. 26 I'd
>> imagine.
>> The BBC is getting more like the NHS every day!
>>
>> Brian
>

> The BBC have often been accused of that but I think there have been many
> times the BBC have been able to react quicker than ITV.
>
> From memory, can't guarantee all correct but think there have been other
> examples.
>
> Weren't the BBC able to get breakfast TV started up whilst ITV were still
> going through lots of committees?
>
> ITV moved the evening news to late so the BBC moved their news to 22:00h
> then ITV complained and wanted the BBC to moved their news away from
> 22:00h!
>
> I remember our manager came back from one of their management meetings and
> came up with the usual mantra of removing layers of management (they
> always seem to end up back where it had always been). He gave an example
> of Morrisons supermarkets where the person on the till could take a
> problem direct to the store manager. So a colleague asked the person on
> till next time he was in Morrisons, she was horrified - it had to go
> through a whole series of layers - far more than we did, I remember once
> taking a call direct from someone VERY senior and regularly spoke to
> people quite senior. After privatisation, there was a lot BS but we never
> saw or spoke to anyone senior.

Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra

<ukfm6k$2e322$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9812&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9812

From: philusenet1458@gmx.com (Phil)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:32:20 +0000
 by: Phil - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:32 UTC

On 01/12/2023 09:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I wonder how many committees it took to make that decision. 26 I'd imagine.
> The BBC is getting more like the NHS every day!
>
> Brian

I did wonder if it was some new manager, desperate put their 'stamp' on
things. Can't think of any logical reason to remove Live from the name.

Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra

<ukhnf3$2r1dh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9813&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9813

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:06:10 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:06 UTC

Maybe dead would have been more apt?

Brian

--

--:
"Phil" <philusenet1458@gmx.com> wrote in message
> On 01/12/2023 09:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I wonder how many committees it took to make that decision. 26 I'd
>> imagine.
>> The BBC is getting more like the NHS every day!
>>
>> Brian
>>
> I did wonder if it was some new manager, desperate put their 'stamp' on
> things. Can't think of any logical reason to remove Live from the name.

Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra

<mucpmi9g81ucgis3mcufuvdj7ndtfbls0l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9814&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9814

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 16:59:25 +0000
 by: Scott - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:59 UTC

On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:32:20 +0000, Phil <philusenet1458@gmx.com>
wrote:

>On 01/12/2023 09:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I wonder how many committees it took to make that decision. 26 I'd imagine.
>> The BBC is getting more like the NHS every day!
>>
>> Brian
>>
>I did wonder if it was some new manager, desperate put their 'stamp' on
>things. Can't think of any logical reason to remove Live from the name.

Tautology perhaps?

Re: Radio Five Live Sports Extra

<uks9c2$186d3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9818&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9818

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 11:13:03 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 11:13 UTC

Well Live is a peculiar term, we say things like recorded live. Live
interaction. It has come to mean it was live in that it happened in real
time interactively, rather than its happening now, as this is untrue, very
much so on digital platforms where there is a delay.
Brian

--

--: