Rocksolid Light

Welcome to Rocksolid Light

mail  files  register  newsreader  groups  login

Message-ID:  

Computers don't actually think. You just think they think. (We think.)


computers / Rocksolid Nodes Help / Re: domain for Message-ID

SubjectAuthor
* domain for Message-IDMarco Moock
`* Re: domain for Message-IDRetro Guy
 `* Re: domain for Message-IDMarco Moock
  `* Re: domain for Message-IDRetro Guy
   `* Re: domain for Message-IDMarco Moock
    `* Re: domain for Message-IDRetro Guy
     `- Re: domain for Message-IDRetro Guy

1
domain for Message-ID

<ur7s93$3v6nd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1005&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#1005

  copy link   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: domain for Message-ID
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 17:20:50 +0100
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 16
Message-ID: <ur7s93$3v6nd$1@dont-email.me>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Injection-Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 16:20:51 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="ec8cb4258d72532d4d9a319eeee42cf0";
logging-data="4168429"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+YuLi0AAXP1v/KIb/QYhZL"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:aFASWbFftlZg/RYlUxMrQl8Jkaw=
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 16:20 UTC

Hello!

In the config, the name

What to add to a username if not in the form of an email address
(include @):
controls the domain of the msg id.
That should be separated, the current setting os very confusing.

--
Gruß
Marco

Spam und Werbung bitte an ichwillgesperrtwerden@nirvana.admins.ws

Re: domain for Message-ID

<379ccac61b4c8f2b5755ba8271056005$1@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1006&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#1006

  copy link   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Message-ID: <379ccac61b4c8f2b5755ba8271056005$1@www.novabbs.org>
Organization: Rocksolid Light
From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Subject: Re: domain for Message-ID
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
User-Agent: 40tude_Dialog/2.0.15.41
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
References: <ur7s93$3v6nd$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:29:50 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 16:29 UTC

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 17:20:50 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:

> Hello!
>
> In the config, the name
>
> What to add to a username if not in the form of an email address
> (include @):
> controls the domain of the msg id.
> That should be separated, the current setting os very confusing.

How about if I change the explanation in Setup to NOT specify email
address, as that's old, before I had email verification so shouldn't be
necessary anymore, and make it say something like:

"domain name to use for Message-ID"?

Then it could stil just use that for email if for some reason it finds that
necessary. I'm probably the only Rslight admin that has users pre-email
verification times where that setting would be used for email.

Re: domain for Message-ID

<ur88qq$3v6nd$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1007&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#1007

  copy link   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: domain for Message-ID
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 20:55:06 +0100
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 24
Message-ID: <ur88qq$3v6nd$3@dont-email.me>
References: <ur7s93$3v6nd$1@dont-email.me>
<379ccac61b4c8f2b5755ba8271056005$1@www.novabbs.org>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:55:06 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="ec8cb4258d72532d4d9a319eeee42cf0";
logging-data="4168429"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+2ZcffcUxX2xz+hIi/N/w9"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:7KE0ezpxMrTsT3WWz+bOlmuxjmQ=
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:55 UTC

On 22.02.2024 um 09:29 Uhr Retro Guy wrote:

> "domain name to use for Message-ID"?
>
> Then it could stil just use that for email if for some reason it
> finds that necessary. I'm probably the only Rslight admin that has
> users pre-email verification times where that setting would be used
> for email.

I think it makes sense to separate those settings.

In a message-ID it is unproblematic to include my own domain name.
Although, I don't want that for users without a domain because if they
send spam, it looks like it originated from me.

If it is only used for the msg-id, simply renaming should be fine.

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to muell456@cartoonies.org

Re: domain for Message-ID

<0eabc1b92424adc01cff6ac1af3b7d45$1@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1008&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#1008

  copy link   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Message-ID: <0eabc1b92424adc01cff6ac1af3b7d45$1@www.novabbs.org>
Organization: Rocksolid Light
From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Subject: Re: domain for Message-ID
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
User-Agent: 40tude_Dialog/2.0.15.41
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
References: <ur7s93$3v6nd$1@dont-email.me> <379ccac61b4c8f2b5755ba8271056005$1@www.novabbs.org> <ur88qq$3v6nd$3@dont-email.me>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 13:08:57 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 20:08 UTC

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 20:55:06 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:

> On 22.02.2024 um 09:29 Uhr Retro Guy wrote:
>
>> "domain name to use for Message-ID"?
>>
>> Then it could stil just use that for email if for some reason it
>> finds that necessary. I'm probably the only Rslight admin that has
>> users pre-email verification times where that setting would be used
>> for email.
>
> I think it makes sense to separate those settings.
>
> In a message-ID it is unproblematic to include my own domain name.
> Although, I don't want that for users without a domain because if they
> send spam, it looks like it originated from me.
>
> If it is only used for the msg-id, simply renaming should be fine.

You've convinced me :)

Should I make a separate setting, or just tack something like
@invalid.invalid to users without an email address? That should not be
common if it happens at all.

Re: domain for Message-ID

<ur8aa6$2fl2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1009&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#1009

  copy link   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: domain for Message-ID
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:20:21 +0100
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 17
Message-ID: <ur8aa6$2fl2$1@dont-email.me>
References: <ur7s93$3v6nd$1@dont-email.me>
<379ccac61b4c8f2b5755ba8271056005$1@www.novabbs.org>
<ur88qq$3v6nd$3@dont-email.me>
<0eabc1b92424adc01cff6ac1af3b7d45$1@www.novabbs.org>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 20:20:22 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="ec8cb4258d72532d4d9a319eeee42cf0";
logging-data="81570"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/Rz8BaIID1ppIQVhEqQimj"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:4Jv6CpCAmqxI/jBarBv38TrOVEs=
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 20:20 UTC

On 22.02.2024 um 13:08 Uhr Retro Guy wrote:

> Should I make a separate setting, or just tack something like
> @invalid.invalid to users without an email address? That should not be
> common if it happens at all.

If you like, create a separate setting, but I think the best would be
to enforce entering an email address and then suggest @invalid.invalid
for the users in situations where it is appropriate. For Usenet, it
mostly isn't, although I dunno about synchronet/i2p.

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to muell456@cartoonies.org

Re: domain for Message-ID

<a6727db722d66095457a58da6a600e5a$1@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1010&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#1010

  copy link   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Message-ID: <a6727db722d66095457a58da6a600e5a$1@www.novabbs.org>
Organization: Rocksolid Light
From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Subject: Re: domain for Message-ID
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
User-Agent: 40tude_Dialog/2.0.15.41
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
References: <ur7s93$3v6nd$1@dont-email.me> <379ccac61b4c8f2b5755ba8271056005$1@www.novabbs.org> <ur88qq$3v6nd$3@dont-email.me> <0eabc1b92424adc01cff6ac1af3b7d45$1@www.novabbs.org> <ur8aa6$2fl2$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 14:20:37 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:20 UTC

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:20:21 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:

> On 22.02.2024 um 13:08 Uhr Retro Guy wrote:
>
>> Should I make a separate setting, or just tack something like
>> @invalid.invalid to users without an email address? That should not be
>> common if it happens at all.
>
> If you like, create a separate setting, but I think the best would be
> to enforce entering an email address and then suggest @invalid.invalid
> for the users in situations where it is appropriate. For Usenet, it
> mostly isn't, although I dunno about synchronet/i2p.

An email address is required when registering. If you have verification
enabled, an email is sent to verify. If not enabled, an email address at
least in the form of an email address is required.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with users from before this was all in the
code (so those few users do not have an email address associated with their
account.

I'll change the wording in Setup to specify it's for Message-ID. In a few
dsya, I'll do some testing to make sure you can't register without an
email. If I find an issue (I'll fix it), but also consider a setting for
it.

Re: domain for Message-ID

<8e244fe2f57feac5e074ca67134ccd10@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1011&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#1011

  copy link   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 01:13:10 +0000
Subject: Re: domain for Message-ID
From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
X-Rslight-Site: $2y$10$008JEDxvf7Yw2rjQISchWuJJ4e/6jXvqPZR0msorxDDAGStWX7T/m
X-Rslight-Posting-User: a93aefeeff923def71455caae2dbfb277a59e046
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
User-Agent: Rocksolid Light
References: <ur7s93$3v6nd$1@dont-email.me> <379ccac61b4c8f2b5755ba8271056005$1@www.novabbs.org> <ur88qq$3v6nd$3@dont-email.me> <0eabc1b92424adc01cff6ac1af3b7d45$1@www.novabbs.org> <ur8aa6$2fl2$1@dont-email.me> <a6727db722d66095457a58da6a600e5a$1@www.novabbs.org>
Organization: Rocksolid Light
Message-ID: <8e244fe2f57feac5e074ca67134ccd10@www.novabbs.org>
X-Face: .&YR-G(w(DZ$$,}%k=]*5*!p'=(anr"IT`wZG'2VWdfl\r)l[42u7JH`n(JUQ*e5*A|XCDf
?&\X&uwkl38"CYX3O8m}C8E4p'%N$2#kSTVzx{Ly|DjLT\Vk7NE}NQ(VC$Yq]i:7|z[.9iv^g>*8_B
H0=hZt'[%)4kG|
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 01:13 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:20:21 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:

>> On 22.02.2024 um 13:08 Uhr Retro Guy wrote:
>>
>>> Should I make a separate setting, or just tack something like
>>> @invalid.invalid to users without an email address? That should not be
>>> common if it happens at all.
>>
>> If you like, create a separate setting, but I think the best would be
>> to enforce entering an email address and then suggest @invalid.invalid
>> for the users in situations where it is appropriate. For Usenet, it
>> mostly isn't, although I dunno about synchronet/i2p.

> An email address is required when registering. If you have verification
> enabled, an email is sent to verify. If not enabled, an email address at
> least in the form of an email address is required.

> I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with users from before this was all in the
> code (so those few users do not have an email address associated with their
> account.

> I'll change the wording in Setup to specify it's for Message-ID. In a few
> dsya, I'll do some testing to make sure you can't register without an
> email. If I find an issue (I'll fix it), but also consider a setting for
> it.

I've pushed a new commit with the changes.

It's important to modify your rslight.inc.php, and any <section>.inc.php files before upgrading.

You need to add:
'server_path' => '@example.com',
to rslight.inc.php, just replace example.com with whatever you want. This is what will be tacked on to the end of the Message-ID. Email address stuff doesn't change.

--
Retro Guy


computers / Rocksolid Nodes Help / Re: domain for Message-ID

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor