From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: deleted Messages conversation
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 17:29:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 17:29 UTC

I have an ongoing almost daily Messages conversation with two other
people. One has an iPhone and the other has an Android.

Today I sent them a link to a news story and added a separate comment
afterwards. The guy with the Android wrote back and said he
inadvertently deleted the conversation. At first I thought he was
talking about deleting it on his own phone, but I see even on my own
phone everything up to September 14 in that three-person conversation
has been deleted too!

How did this happen? The guy is 78 years-old and not the most tech
savvy. Why would his deleted conversation affect my phone?

Re: deleted Messages conversation

<xn0o9bqomwujjw7004@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10173&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10173

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: deleted Messages conversation
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 17:38:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 17:38 UTC

badgolferman wrote:

>I have an ongoing almost daily Messages conversation with two other
>people. One has an iPhone and the other has an Android.
>
>Today I sent them a link to a news story and added a separate comment
>afterwards. The guy with the Android wrote back and said he
>inadvertently deleted the conversation. At first I thought he was
>talking about deleting it on his own phone, but I see even on my own
>phone everything up to September 14 in that three-person conversation
>has been deleted too!
>
>How did this happen? The guy is 78 years-old and not the most tech
>savvy. Why would his deleted conversation affect my phone?

Never mind, I was wrong. He created a new conversation with his reply
and added the other person's home number rather than their cell number.
That's why the conversation was missing month's of messages. Sorry for
the false alarm.

Re: deleted Messages conversation

<uj0bf4$1aoeo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10174&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10174

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 18:40:52 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 17:40 UTC

On 14.11.23 18:29, badgolferman wrote:
> I have an ongoing almost daily Messages conversation with two other
> people. One has an iPhone and the other has an Android.
>
> Today I sent them a link to a news story and added a separate comment
> afterwards. The guy with the Android wrote back and said he
> inadvertently deleted the conversation. At first I thought he was
> talking about deleting it on his own phone, but I see even on my own
> phone everything up to September 14 in that three-person conversation
> has been deleted too!
>
> How did this happen? The guy is 78 years-old and not the most tech
> savvy. Why would his deleted conversation affect my phone?

It seems obvious that it is a server issue. You do not tell us which
software you are using.

Probably your friend is administrator of this chat group.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Re: deleted Messages conversation