There's no future in time travel.

computers / alt.folklore.computers / For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museum.

SubjectAuthor
* For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museum.D
+* Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museum.Scott Lurndal
|+* Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History MuseuKurt Weiske
||`- Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History MuseuScott Lurndal
|`* Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museum.Joe Makowiec
| `- Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museum.D
`- Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museum.John Levine

1
For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museum.

<ba3af7c6-da1b-d290-79f7-c960c492e50f@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10185&group=alt.folklore.computers#10185

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museum.
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 11:12:23 +0100
 by: D - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 10:12 UTC

And for those on the other side of the Atlantic, I can recommend this one:

https://computerhistory.org/

Enjoy if you do get the chance!

Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museum.

<%FvsN.259411$c3Ea.254380@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10189&group=alt.folklore.computers#10189

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:06:19 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:06 UTC

D <nospam@example.net> writes:
>And for those on the other side of the Atlantic, I can recommend this one:
>
>https://computerhistory.org/

And it's in a former SGI building! Check out the replica ABC computer
while you're there, or the working 1401.

Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museum.

<uov5do$1bcv$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10192&group=alt.folklore.computers#10192

From: johnl@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 02:29:12 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 02:29 UTC

According to D <nospam@example.net>:
>And for those on the other side of the Atlantic, I can recommend this one:
>
>https://computerhistory.org/
>
>Enjoy if you do get the chance!

It's a pretty good museum, but where I live, it's not that much close than Bletchley.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museu

<65B3C607.5719.news.afc@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10198&group=alt.folklore.computers#10198

From: kurt.weiske@realitycheckbbs.org.remove-xvw-this (Kurt Weiske)
Subject: Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museu
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 06:46:00 -0800
 by: Kurt Weiske - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:46 UTC

To: scott
-=> scott wrote to alt.folklore.computers <=-

>https://computerhistory.org/

sc> And it's in a former SGI building! Check out the replica ABC computer
sc> while you're there, or the working 1401.

I live not too far from there, it's definitely worth doing the docent
tour. Speaking to a docent who, in our case, worked in the valley in the
1970s was eye-opening to me and my son. He had lots of tales of his
times not just in the industry, but Silicon Valley in its infancy.

The 1401 is exciting to see - I went during the Vintage Computer
festival onsite, and they fired it up and ran a couple of jobs through
it. My son was amazed at how many people it took to run.

They asked for volunteers. The support team, which all seemed to be IBM
customers or field circus engineers back in the day had brought the
system back from a garage. They were hoping to get some kids to
volunteer some time to learn how the systems work and what needs to be
done to maintain them. What a wonderful opportunity to learn from a
generation that built the foundation of what we have now!

kurt weiske | kweiske at realitycheckbbs dot org
| http://realitycheckbbs.org
| 1:218/700@fidonet

.... YORGAMAK HAS ARRIVED AND WILL INITIATE DESTRUCTIMATION.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Win32 NewsLink 1.114
* realitycheckBBS - Aptos, CA - telnet://realitycheckbbs.org

Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museu

<AMQsN.246881$Ama9.111986@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10199&group=alt.folklore.computers#10199

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:06:56 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:06 UTC

"Kurt Weiske" <kurt.weiske@realitycheckbbs.org.remove-xvw-this> writes:
> To: scott
>-=> scott wrote to alt.folklore.computers <=-
>
> >https://computerhistory.org/
>
> sc> And it's in a former SGI building! Check out the replica ABC computer
> sc> while you're there, or the working 1401.
>
> I live not too far from there, it's definitely worth doing the docent
> tour. Speaking to a docent who, in our case, worked in the valley in the
> 1970s was eye-opening to me and my son. He had lots of tales of his
> times not just in the industry, but Silicon Valley in its infancy.
>
> The 1401 is exciting to see - I went during the Vintage Computer
> festival onsite, and they fired it up and ran a couple of jobs through
> it. My son was amazed at how many people it took to run.

That may have been the same VCF I was at. I dropped off a couple
of NCD X-terminals at the swap meet.

Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museum.

<XnsB10AC827E4865makowiecatnycapdotrE@95.217.65.137>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10232&group=alt.folklore.computers#10232

From: makowiec@invalid.invalid (Joe Makowiec)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 00:40:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Makowiec - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 00:40 UTC

On 25 Jan 2024 in alt.folklore.computers, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> D <nospam@example.net> writes:
>>And for those on the other side of the Atlantic, I can recommend
>>this one:
>>
>>https://computerhistory.org/
>
> And it's in a former SGI building! Check out the replica ABC
> computer while you're there, or the working 1401.

Late to the game, but it's about 6 miles from the HP garage.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History Museum.

<de58adf1-b4f8-3369-c944-8528fcec3bd7@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10233&group=alt.folklore.computers#10233

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: For those on the other side of the atlantic: Computer History
Museum.
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:48:43 +0100
 by: D - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 09:48 UTC

On Thu, 1 Feb 2024, Joe Makowiec wrote:

> On 25 Jan 2024 in alt.folklore.computers, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>
>> D <nospam@example.net> writes:
>>> And for those on the other side of the Atlantic, I can recommend
>>> this one:
>>>
>>> https://computerhistory.org/
>>
>> And it's in a former SGI building! Check out the replica ABC
>> computer while you're there, or the working 1401.
>
> Late to the game, but it's about 6 miles from the HP garage.

What a shame I didn't know! I would definitely have walked over there for
a photo or two. =(