To Perl, or not to Perl, that is the kvetching. -- Larry Wall in <199801200310.TAA11670@wall.org>

computers / alt.folklore.computers / Arithmeum in Bonn Germany

SubjectAuthor
* Arithmeum in Bonn GermanyJohn Levine
`* ABC Antanasoff-Berry Computer in Ames, IowaDavid LaRue
 +* Re: ABC Antanasoff-Berry Computer in Ames, IowaSn!pe
 |`- Re: ABC Antanasoff-Berry Computer in Ames, IowaScott Lurndal
 `* Re: ABC Antanasoff-Berry Computer in Ames, IowaScott Lurndal
  `- Re: ABC Antanasoff-Berry Computer in Ames, IowaDavid LaRue

1
Arithmeum in Bonn Germany

<uov69v$1fbc$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10193&group=alt.folklore.computers#10193

From: johnl@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Arithmeum in Bonn Germany
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 02:44:15 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 02:44 UTC

Speaking of museums, if you are ever in Bonn Germany or nearby (it's a
20 minute train trip from Cologne) don't miss the Arithmeum, a
remarkable collection of mechanical calculators. They let you
play with a lot of them.

There's also a little more modern computer stuff but the emphasis is
on mechanical, both digitial calculators and analog such as the many
kinds of slide rules and dividers.

https://www.arithmeum.uni-bonn.de/en/arithmeum.html

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

ABC Antanasoff-Berry Computer in Ames, Iowa

<XnsB104E9A0C465Dhueydlltampabayrrcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10194&group=alt.folklore.computers#10194

From: huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com (David LaRue)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: ABC Antanasoff-Berry Computer in Ames, Iowa
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 03:58:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David LaRue - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 03:58 UTC

John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote in news:uov69v$1fbc$1@gal.iecc.com:

> Speaking of museums, if you are ever in Bonn Germany or nearby (it's a
> 20 minute train trip from Cologne) don't miss the Arithmeum, a
> remarkable collection of mechanical calculators. They let you
> play with a lot of them.
>
> There's also a little more modern computer stuff but the emphasis is
> on mechanical, both digitial calculators and analog such as the many
> kinds of slide rules and dividers.
>
> https://www.arithmeum.uni-bonn.de/en/arithmeum.html

The ABC was dismantled, lost, and later rebuilt. It is currently housed at
the Durham Center of Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa. The ABC was
later credited as the first digital computer with all the components of a
computer around that time. It was built before ENIAC and before WW 1.

I saw a few bits of it in the Physics Building before it was
rebuilt/restored by graduate students.

Perhaps someone from ISU could tell us if the ABC is operable today.
Somewhere in my archives I have the announcment that the ABC restoration
was completed.

David, CS Major 1986

Re: ABC Antanasoff-Berry Computer in Ames, Iowa

<1qnxyo0.alzdoo1waomwmN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10195&group=alt.folklore.computers#10195

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: ABC Antanasoff-Berry Computer in Ames, Iowa
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:59:01 +0000
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:59 UTC

David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> The ABC was dismantled, lost, and later rebuilt. It is currently housed at
> the Durham Center of Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa. The ABC was
> later credited as the first digital computer with all the components of a
> computer around that time. It was built before ENIAC and before WW 1.

nitpick: before WWII, not WW 1

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: ABC Antanasoff-Berry Computer in Ames, Iowa

<_2QsN.44617$SyNd.14761@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10196&group=alt.folklore.computers#10196

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 15:18:18 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 15:18 UTC

David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> writes:
>John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote in news:uov69v$1fbc$1@gal.iecc.com:
>
>> Speaking of museums, if you are ever in Bonn Germany or nearby (it's a
>> 20 minute train trip from Cologne) don't miss the Arithmeum, a
>> remarkable collection of mechanical calculators. They let you
>> play with a lot of them.
>>
>> There's also a little more modern computer stuff but the emphasis is
>> on mechanical, both digitial calculators and analog such as the many
>> kinds of slide rules and dividers.
>>
>> https://www.arithmeum.uni-bonn.de/en/arithmeum.html
>>

>The ABC was dismantled, lost, and later rebuilt. It is currently housed at
>the Durham Center of Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa. The ABC was
>later credited as the first digital computer with all the components of a
>computer around that time. It was built before ENIAC and before WW 1.
>
>I saw a few bits of it in the Physics Building before it was
>rebuilt/restored by graduate students.

Dr. Stewart disassembled it when he was clearing space in
the basement of the physics building for an office when he
was a grad student (Dr. Stewart was CS department chairmen when I was
there). The only remaining piece was the memory drum.

I had the memory drum in my office on-campus for a
couple of months before VIESHA when I was com sci club
president.

>Perhaps someone from ISU could tell us if the ABC is operable today.
>Somewhere in my archives I have the announcment that the ABC restoration
>was completed.

The restoration was complete. It was at the computer history
museum last time I visited - I'm not sure where it is today.

I also took Dr. Atanasoff to dinner after he gave a presentation
to the CSC in 1981, IIRC.

>David, CS Major 1986

Scott, CS Major 1983

Re: ABC Antanasoff-Berry Computer in Ames, Iowa

<T4QsN.44618$SyNd.10485@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10197&group=alt.folklore.computers#10197

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 15:20:19 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 15:20 UTC

snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) writes:
>David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> The ABC was dismantled, lost, and later rebuilt. It is currently housed at
>> the Durham Center of Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa. The ABC was
>> later credited as the first digital computer with all the components of a
>> computer around that time. It was built before ENIAC and before WW 1.
>
>nitpick: before WWII, not WW 1

There was a lawsuit in the 1970's between sperry and honeywell,
a patent dispute. The judge determined that ABC had priority
over Eckert and Mauchley (whom I also met in 1980 at the ACM
national conference in Nashville).

I still have my copy of:
https://www.amazon.com/Atanasoff-Forgotten-Computer-Clark-Mollenhoff/dp/0813800323

Re: ABC Antanasoff-Berry Computer in Ames, Iowa

<XnsB1057BC25DB6Fhueydlltampabayrrcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10201&group=alt.folklore.computers#10201

From: huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com (David LaRue)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:10:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David LaRue - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:10 UTC

scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in

> David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> writes:
>>John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Speaking of museums, if you are ever in Bonn Germany or nearby (it's
>>> a 20 minute train trip from Cologne) don't miss the Arithmeum, a
>>> remarkable collection of mechanical calculators. They let you
>>> play with a lot of them.
>>>
>>> There's also a little more modern computer stuff but the emphasis is
>>> on mechanical, both digitial calculators and analog such as the many
>>> kinds of slide rules and dividers.
>>>
>>> https://www.arithmeum.uni-bonn.de/en/arithmeum.html
>>>

>>The ABC was dismantled, lost, and later rebuilt. It is currently
>>housed at the Durham Center of Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa.
>>The ABC was later credited as the first digital computer with all the
>>components of a computer around that time. It was built before ENIAC
>>and before WW 1.
>>
>>I saw a few bits of it in the Physics Building before it was
>>rebuilt/restored by graduate students.
>
> Dr. Stewart disassembled it when he was clearing space in
> the basement of the physics building for an office when he
> was a grad student (Dr. Stewart was CS department chairmen when I was
> there). The only remaining piece was the memory drum.
>
> I had the memory drum in my office on-campus for a
> couple of months before VIESHA when I was com sci club
> president.
>

>>Perhaps someone from ISU could tell us if the ABC is operable today.
>>Somewhere in my archives I have the announcment that the ABC
>>restoration was completed.
>
> The restoration was complete. It was at the computer history
> museum last time I visited - I'm not sure where it is today.
>
> I also took Dr. Atanasoff to dinner after he gave a presentation
> to the CSC in 1981, IIRC.
>

>>David, CS Major 1986
>
> Scott, CS Major 1983

Thank you, Scott. The details are much appreciated.