Information is the inverse of entropy.

computers / alt.folklore.computers / Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

SubjectAuthor
* Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Vansh Kapoor
+* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?John Levine
|+- Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Bob Eager
|`* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Thomas Koenig
| +* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
| |`* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Niklas Karlsson
| | `* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Kerr-Mudd, John
| |  `- Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Scott Lurndal
| `- Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Carlos E.R.
+* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|`* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Carlos E.R.
| +- Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Julieta Shem
| `* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Andy Burns
|  +* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|  |`- Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Andy Burns
|  +* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Carlos E.R.
|  |`- Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Carlos E.R.
|  `* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Bob Martin
|   `* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?John Levine
|    +- Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Charlie Gibbs
|    `* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Lynn Wheeler
|     `- Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Peter Flass
+* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Julieta Shem
|+* Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Theo
||`- Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Stefan Ram
|`- Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?Scott Alfter
`- Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?songbird

Pages:12
Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<13aa29dc-fa7c-4794-802a-4934b56254bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10262&group=alt.folklore.computers#10262

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:40:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?
From: kapoorvansh200@gmail.com (Vansh Kapoor)
 by: Vansh Kapoor - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 01:40 UTC

I was reading this book 'Computer Systems' and it made me wander if the compiler exists in Operating system or it can individualy work with the processor main memory and I/O bridges.

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<ur12da$2jep$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10263&group=alt.folklore.computers#10263

From: johnl@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 02:22:34 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 02:22 UTC

According to Vansh Kapoor <kapoorvansh200@gmail.com>:
>I was reading this book 'Computer Systems' and it made me wander if the compiler exists in Operating system or it can individualy work with the processor main memory
>and I/O bridges.

It's less common now but there have been plenty of compilers that
worked without operating systems. The original FORTRAN compiler ran on
an IBM 704, loaded directly from mag tape. When I was using a PDP-8
around 1970 it didn't have an operating system but there were
assemblers and a Fortran compiler we loaded from paper tape.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<l3j5qkFf0eoU23@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10264&group=alt.folklore.computers#10264

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 20 Feb 2024 08:22:44 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 08:22 UTC

On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 02:22:34 +0000, John Levine wrote:

> According to Vansh Kapoor <kapoorvansh200@gmail.com>:
>>I was reading this book 'Computer Systems' and it made me wander if the
>>compiler exists in Operating system or it can individualy work with the
>>processor main memory and I/O bridges.
>
> It's less common now but there have been plenty of compilers that worked
> without operating systems. The original FORTRAN compiler ran on an IBM
> 704, loaded directly from mag tape. When I was using a PDP-8 around 1970
> it didn't have an operating system but there were assemblers and a
> Fortran compiler we loaded from paper tape.

And, indeed, that can apply to any program.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<20240220085033.1798c339ccd41b9157df0569@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10265&group=alt.folklore.computers#10265

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 08:50:33 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 08:50 UTC

On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:40:41 -0800 (PST)
Vansh Kapoor <kapoorvansh200@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was reading this book 'Computer Systems' and it made me wander if the
> compiler exists in Operating system or it can individualy work with the
> processor main memory and I/O bridges.

Most certainly, although it is far from common these days. The most
recent example I know of isn't exactly a compiler but it's close[1].
Smalltalk V/286 started running under MSDOS but promptly switched to
protected mode and abandoned the OS it had used only as a launcher.

[1] OK it was more like a seething mass of mutable objects with an embedded
compiler.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<87ttm3bg24.fsf@yaxenu.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10266&group=alt.folklore.computers#10266

From: jshem@yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 07:12:03 -0300
sha1:jApDLSXeBNEfxY5GnXddIyIFQCI=
 by: Julieta Shem - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:12 UTC

Vansh Kapoor <kapoorvansh200@gmail.com> writes:

> I was reading this book 'Computer Systems'

Is it interesting? Who are the authors?

> and it made me wander if the compiler exists in Operating system or it
> can individualy work with the processor main memory and I/O bridges.

It's not clear if you mean running the compiler without an operating
system of if the compiler is able to produce a program that can run
without an operating system. I think you mean the former---can the
compiler bootstrap the computer system and offer an interface to the
user to write programs, compile and run them? This would make the
compiler also be a text editor and a shell, essentially replacing the
entire operating system. That's not what typical compilers are.

A compiler such as GCC---the GNU C Compiler (these days called the GNU
Compiler Collection)---is definitely able to produce a program that can
run without an operating system. This is how an operating system kernel
is produced [1], but typical compilers (GCC included) are not meant to
run without an operating system.

(*) Footnotes

[1] A kernel is by definition a program that can run without an
operating system because a kernel is a program that prepares the
computer system to run other programs.

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<+Nn*OJsDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10267&group=alt.folklore.computers#10267

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 20 Feb 2024 13:05:38 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 13:05 UTC

Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org> wrote:
> Vansh Kapoor <kapoorvansh200@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I was reading this book 'Computer Systems'
>
> Is it interesting? Who are the authors?
>
> > and it made me wander if the compiler exists in Operating system or it
> > can individualy work with the processor main memory and I/O bridges.
>
> It's not clear if you mean running the compiler without an operating
> system of if the compiler is able to produce a program that can run
> without an operating system. I think you mean the former---can the
> compiler bootstrap the computer system and offer an interface to the
> user to write programs, compile and run them? This would make the
> compiler also be a text editor and a shell, essentially replacing the
> entire operating system. That's not what typical compilers are.

It really depends on the nature of your I/O. A compiler transforms source
code into object code (or machine code). With a modern compiler the source
and machine code are stored in files so you need something to provide a file
abstraction, which we call an OS. But I could imagine where you fed in
first the compiler binary on paper tape, then your source code on another
tape. This prints a tape holding the machine code output. Then you feed
that tape back into the machine to run it.

If you could do a modern reimagination of that idea you could have it work
without an OS. But it's hard to see why you would want to.

You could also implement file handling inside the compiler, so the compiler
talks to the storage directly to fetch files, and has the ability to load
and execute compiled code itself. But that's really just embedding OS
functions inside the compiler.

Theo

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<gdkeakxbi3.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10268&group=alt.folklore.computers#10268

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 14:01:04 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 13:01 UTC

On 2024-02-20 09:50, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:40:41 -0800 (PST)
> Vansh Kapoor <kapoorvansh200@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was reading this book 'Computer Systems' and it made me wander if the
>> compiler exists in Operating system or it can individualy work with the
>> processor main memory and I/O bridges.
>
> Most certainly, although it is far from common these days. The most
> recent example I know of isn't exactly a compiler but it's close[1].
> Smalltalk V/286 started running under MSDOS but promptly switched to
> protected mode and abandoned the OS it had used only as a launcher.
>
> [1] OK it was more like a seething mass of mutable objects with an embedded
> compiler.

I can not see the OP (because it comes from Google groups) but it is
common with small machines to not have an operating system.

This thing, for instance:

https://www.shelly.com/en

From second hand information, you compile adding the parts you are
going to use, as space is limited.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<C-20240220142426@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10269&group=alt.folklore.computers#10269

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 20 Feb 2024 13:28:57 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 13:28 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>It really depends on the nature of your I/O.

In a /freestanding environment/, C program execution may take place
without the benefit of an operating system; the name and type of the
function called at program startup, the library facilities available,
and the effect of program termination are all implementation-defined.

To learn more about C and freestanding environments, have a look at
ISO/IEC 9899:2023 (E)!

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<87y1bfkzis.fsf@yaxenu.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10270&group=alt.folklore.computers#10270

From: jshem@yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:59:07 -0300
sha1:m0Dl8VkCPOC9jSoz5Vil360Ymrs=
 by: Julieta Shem - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 13:59 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> writes:

[...]

> I can not see the OP (because it comes from Google groups)

Sadly, I couldn't see him either. I only saw after other people
replied. We should let the OP know that he's using a tool---Google
Groups---which is about to leave the USENET. IIRC, the date is what?
February 22nd 2024?

Dear OP, grab a program like Thunderbird (or some other) and get an
account at a free USENET server such as Eternal September, which you can
find at

https://www.eternal-september.org/

Google Groups is about to remove your ability to post to the USENET and
will also not let you see our replies. You have two days to act.

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<anmeak-9k4.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10271&group=alt.folklore.computers#10271

From: songbird@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 08:40:26 -0500
 by: songbird - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 13:40 UTC

Vansh Kapoor wrote:
> I was reading this book 'Computer Systems' and it made me wander if the compiler exists in Operating system or it can individualy work with the processor main memory and I/O bridges.

there's nothing preventing the OS from being some
kind of language interpreter or compiler, but i would
think that would be a very embedded type of system
these days.

one of the benefits of more recent ideas is that it
really helps to keep different functions isolated a
bit from each other so they can be tested and not
have the rest of the system so tightly coupled.

how would you upgrade such a monolithic system?
what would there be for quality control or testing?
etc.

songbird

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<sf6BN.367584$Wp_8.352862@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10272&group=alt.folklore.computers#10272

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
From: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter)
Originator: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 18:32:56 GMT
 by: Scott Alfter - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 18:32 UTC

In article <87ttm3bg24.fsf@yaxenu.org>, Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org> wrote:
>A compiler such as GCC---the GNU C Compiler (these days called the GNU
>Compiler Collection)---is definitely able to produce a program that can
>run without an operating system. This is how an operating system kernel
>is produced [1], but typical compilers (GCC included) are not meant to
>run without an operating system.

It's also how code is built to run on microcontrollers and such. You can't
run gcc on an AVR or STM32, but gcc will build code for both of those and
more.

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<l3n2fiF39snU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10277&group=alt.folklore.computers#10277

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 19:50:08 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 19:50 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> it is common with small machines to not have an operating system.
> This thing, for instance:
>
> https://www.shelly.com/en

I doubt that a 'smart' switch provides a compiler ...

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<20240221200623.714c3a41fc6f676d80d6a4d5@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10278&group=alt.folklore.computers#10278

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:06:23 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:06 UTC

On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 19:50:08 +0000
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
> > it is common with small machines to not have an operating system.
> > This thing, for instance:
> >
> > https://www.shelly.com/en
>
> I doubt that a 'smart' switch provides a compiler ...

Find out what chip/SOC it uses and look for the manufacturer's SDK.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
For forms of government let fools contest
Whate're is best administered is best - Alexander Pope

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<l3n6m6F3tmsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10279&group=alt.folklore.computers#10279

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:01:57 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:01 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I doubt that a 'smart' switch provides a compiler ...
>
> Find out what chip/SOC it uses and look for the manufacturer's SDK.

I think all the shelly devices can be flashed with tasmota, so ESP32 based

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<5p5iakxio9.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10280&group=alt.folklore.computers#10280

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:15:49 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:15 UTC

On 2024-02-21 20:50, Andy Burns wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> it is common with small machines to not have an operating system.
>> This thing, for instance:
>>
>> https://www.shelly.com/en
>
> I doubt that a 'smart' switch provides a compiler ...

No, you do it externally. Write the code, compile, link with the runtime
library, and flash it to the module. I haven't done it personally, so I
do not know more.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<l3o7msF9o5kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10285&group=alt.folklore.computers#10285

From: bob.martin@excite.com (Bob Martin)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 22 Feb 2024 06:25:32 GMT
 by: Bob Martin - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 06:25 UTC

On 21 Feb 2024 at 19:50:08, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> it is common with small machines to not have an operating system.
>> This thing, for instance:
>>
>> https://www.shelly.com/en
>
> I doubt that a 'smart' switch provides a compiler ...

Many of the early IBM 360 programs were loaded from card decks.
I remember using DEBE a lot.
OS/360 version was 4/5 when I started (never used DOS or TOS).

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<ur7uuo$21op$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10297&group=alt.folklore.computers#10297

From: johnl@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 17:06:32 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 17:06 UTC

It appears that Bob Martin <bob.martin@excite.com> said:
>Many of the early IBM 360 programs were loaded from card decks.
>I remember using DEBE a lot.

For very small 360s or I suppose for low level program developmen, IBM
had Basic Programming Support (BPS) all of which loaded from cards. It
had RPG, an assembler, loaders, I/O library, and some I/O utilities to
copy stuff and format disks.

https://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/bos_bps/

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<4wNBN.538661$83n7.310407@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10300&group=alt.folklore.computers#10300

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
From: cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:46:08 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:46 UTC

On 2024-02-22, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote:

> It appears that Bob Martin <bob.martin@excite.com> said:
>
>> Many of the early IBM 360 programs were loaded from card decks.
>> I remember using DEBE a lot.
>
> For very small 360s or I suppose for low level program developmen, IBM
> had Basic Programming Support (BPS) all of which loaded from cards. It
> had RPG, an assembler, loaders, I/O library, and some I/O utilities to
> copy stuff and format disks.
>
> https://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/bos_bps/

My first job was on a Univac 9300 (their answer to the 360/20).
We eventually added disks to it, but originally it was a card-based
system that had no operating system. Programs were loaded from
card decks; one of the things the linker did was to punch a boot
loader in front of the program image(s) that we had created with
the assembler. RPG was a huge self-loading card deck into which
you interspersed the various parts of your source code; by the
time this deck got all the way through the reader, it had punched
the binary of your program, complete with boot loader. (I was
able to recognize when someone was doing an RPG compile from
the next room by the rhythm of the printer, and could even tell
whether it compiled cleanly or had errors.)

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | The Internet is like a big city:
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | it has plenty of bright lights and

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<87o7c7tstq.fsf@localhost>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10309&group=alt.folklore.computers#10309

From: lynn@garlic.com (Lynn Wheeler)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 23:48:01 -1000
sha1:V4DNkU1yIgv4Navl3KfU0E/WVfo=
 by: Lynn Wheeler - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:48 UTC

John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> writes:
> For very small 360s or I suppose for low level program developmen, IBM
> had Basic Programming Support (BPS) all of which loaded from cards. It
> had RPG, an assembler, loaders, I/O library, and some I/O utilities to
> copy stuff and format disks.
>
> https://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/bos_bps/

I took two credit hr intro to fortran/computers. Univ had 709/1401 and
IBM pitched 360/67 for tss/360 as replacement. Pending availability of
360/67, the 1401 was replaced with 64k 360/30 (that had 1401 emulation)
to start getting 360 experience. At the end of the intro clss, I was
hired to rewrite 1401 MPIO (card reader->tape, tape->printer/punch, aka
unit record front end for 709 running tape->tape) for 360/30, part of
getting 360 experience. The univ shutdown datacenter over the weekend
and I got the whole place dedicated (but 48hrs w/o sleep made monday
classes hard). They gave me a bunch of hardware and software manuals and
I got to design and implement my own monitor, device drivers, interrupt
handlers, storage management, error recovery, etc and within a few weeks
had 2000 card program that ran stand-alone (IPL'ed with the BPS
loader).

I then modified it with assembler option that generated either the stand
alone version (took 30mins to assemble) or OS/360 with system services
macros (took 60mins to assemble, each DCB macro taking 5-6mins). I
quickly learned 1st thing coming in sat. morning was clean the tape
drives and printers, disassemble the 2540 printer/punch, clean it and
reassemble. Also sometimes sat. morning, production had finished early
and everything was powered off. Sometimes 360/30 wouldn't power on and
reading manuals and trail&error would place all the controllers in CE
mode, power-on the 360/30, individually power-on each controller, then
placing them back in normal mode.

Within a year of the intro class, the 360/67 arrived and I was hired
fulltime responsible for os/360 (TSS/360 never came to production so ran
as 360/65). Then some people from science center came out to install
CP67 (precursor to vm370) ... 3rd after CSC itself and MIT Lincoln labs;
and I mostly played with it in my 48hr weekend window. Initially cp67
kernel was couple dozen assembler source routines originally kept on
os/360 ... individually assembled and txt output placed in card tray in
correct order behind BPS loader to IPL kernel... which writes memory
image to disk. disk then can be IPLed to run CP67. Each module TXT deck
had diagonal stripe and module name across top ... so updating and
replacing individual module (in card tray) can be easily
identify/done. Later CP67 source was moved to CMS and it was possible to
assemble and then virtually punch BPS loader and TXT output that is
transferred to an input reader, (virtually) IPL it and have it written
to disk (potentially even the production system disk) for re-ipl.

One of the things I worked on was a mechanism for paging part of the
CP67 kernel (reducing fixed storage requirement) ... reworking some code
into 4kbyte segments ... which increased the number of ESD entry symbols
.... and eventually found I started running into the BPS loader 255 ESD
limit.

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<447160642.730405091.037709.peter_flass-yahoo.com@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10313&group=alt.folklore.computers#10313

From: peter_flass@yahoo.com (Peter Flass)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 13:10:57 -0700
sha1:irpR1mMvMdeFihJTWzEkoEwOBps=
 by: Peter Flass - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 20:10 UTC

Lynn Wheeler <lynn@garlic.com> wrote:
> John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> writes:
>> For very small 360s or I suppose for low level program developmen, IBM
>> had Basic Programming Support (BPS) all of which loaded from cards. It
>> had RPG, an assembler, loaders, I/O library, and some I/O utilities to
>> copy stuff and format disks.
>>
>> https://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/bos_bps/
>
> I took two credit hr intro to fortran/computers. Univ had 709/1401 and
> IBM pitched 360/67 for tss/360 as replacement. Pending availability of
> 360/67, the 1401 was replaced with 64k 360/30 (that had 1401 emulation)
> to start getting 360 experience. At the end of the intro clss, I was
> hired to rewrite 1401 MPIO (card reader->tape, tape->printer/punch, aka
> unit record front end for 709 running tape->tape) for 360/30, part of
> getting 360 experience. The univ shutdown datacenter over the weekend
> and I got the whole place dedicated (but 48hrs w/o sleep made monday
> classes hard). They gave me a bunch of hardware and software manuals and
> I got to design and implement my own monitor, device drivers, interrupt
> handlers, storage management, error recovery, etc and within a few weeks
> had 2000 card program that ran stand-alone (IPL'ed with the BPS
> loader).
>
> I then modified it with assembler option that generated either the stand
> alone version (took 30mins to assemble) or OS/360 with system services
> macros (took 60mins to assemble, each DCB macro taking 5-6mins).

One hack I thought of long past the time it would have been useful would be
to stick all the DCBs (and maybe etc.). into a separate module, assemble it
once, and then just link the object deck with the rest of the code.

--
Pete

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<q2enakxa1l.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10314&group=alt.folklore.computers#10314

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 22:08:10 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 21:08 UTC

On 2024-02-21 22:15, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2024-02-21 20:50, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>
>>> it is common with small machines to not have an operating system.
>>> This thing, for instance:
>>>
>>> https://www.shelly.com/en
>>
>> I doubt that a 'smart' switch provides a compiler ...
>
> No, you do it externally. Write the code, compile, link with the runtime
> library, and flash it to the module. I haven't done it personally, so I
> do not know more.

I realize now that you understand the question about running the
compiler without an OS, while I understood running the resulting program.

Well, I have not experienced compilers without an OS, but indeed an
interpreter without an OS. The Sinclair ZX81 or the Spectrum, had an
interpreter without an OS. Basic. The program would be saved to tape,
but there were no "files".

Even the original IBM PC could run Basic in ROM without an OS (and tape
recorder), but the BIOS in ROM was available to it.

Wikipedia mentions several compiled languages for the Spectrum:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum_software#Other_software>

Programming language implementations

C[26]
Pascal[27]
Prolog[28]
Forth[29]
Z80 assemblers/disassemblers:
OCP Editor/Assembler
HiSoft Devpac
ZEUS Assembler
Artic Assembler
Sinclair BASIC extensions and compilers:
Beta BASIC
Mega Basic
MCoder
COLT
HiSoft BASIC
ToBoS-FP

So the answer to the OP question is "yes".

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<urij4q$pjn4$2@newsreader4.netcologne.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10333&group=alt.folklore.computers#10333

From: tkoenig@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:52:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Thomas Koenig - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:52 UTC

John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> schrieb:
> According to Vansh Kapoor <kapoorvansh200@gmail.com>:
>>I was reading this book 'Computer Systems' and it made me wander if the compiler exists in Operating system or it can individualy work with the processor main memory
>>and I/O bridges.
>
> It's less common now but there have been plenty of compilers that
> worked without operating systems. The original FORTRAN compiler ran on
> an IBM 704, loaded directly from mag tape. When I was using a PDP-8
> around 1970 it didn't have an operating system but there were
> assemblers and a Fortran compiler we loaded from paper tape.

It can also be argued that MS-DOS or CP/M are not operating systems, but rather
a program loader and a collection of auxiliary routines, so a compilers
for these systems might also serve as examples.

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<20240226182339.3afe3899260ffed940e2cdf6@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10334&group=alt.folklore.computers#10334

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:23:39 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:23 UTC

On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:52:26 -0000 (UTC)
Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de> wrote:

> It can also be argued that MS-DOS or CP/M are not operating systems, but
> rather a program loader and a collection of auxiliary routines, so a
> compilers for these systems might also serve as examples.

The counter argument is that both include user interfaces and file
systems. But yeah they're borderline.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
For forms of government let fools contest
Whate're is best administered is best - Alexander Pope

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<l443vpF7ijpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10335&group=alt.folklore.computers#10335

From: nikke.karlsson@gmail.com (Niklas Karlsson)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 26 Feb 2024 18:35:37 GMT
 by: Niklas Karlsson - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:35 UTC

On 2024-02-26, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:52:26 -0000 (UTC)
> Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de> wrote:
>
>> It can also be argued that MS-DOS or CP/M are not operating systems, but
>> rather a program loader and a collection of auxiliary routines, so a
>> compilers for these systems might also serve as examples.
>
> The counter argument is that both include user interfaces and file
> systems. But yeah they're borderline.

Maybe you could call them (glorified) bootloaders? Those often have user
interfaces and at least rudimentary file system support.

Niklas
--
My main argument against autonomous probes is what alien cultures
would think us if the got hold of a deep-space probe running Windows 7.

Re: Can a compiler work without an Operating System?

<20240226165907.ac708a948e548c46d05f82ce@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10336&group=alt.folklore.computers#10336

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 16:59:07 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 16:59 UTC

On 26 Feb 2024 18:35:37 GMT
Niklas Karlsson <nikke.karlsson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2024-02-26, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:52:26 -0000 (UTC)
> > Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de> wrote:
> >
> >> It can also be argued that MS-DOS or CP/M are not operating systems, but
> >> rather a program loader and a collection of auxiliary routines, so a
> >> compilers for these systems might also serve as examples.
> >
> > The counter argument is that both include user interfaces and file
> > systems. But yeah they're borderline.
>
> Maybe you could call them (glorified) bootloaders? Those often have user
> interfaces and at least rudimentary file system support.

I don't like such grubby talk.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.