From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Apple's In-House 5G Modem Work Faces Further Delays
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 15:14:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:58I5kRj/CWf8HiOMKGBAIQ9tKA8=
 by: badgolferman - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 15:14 UTC

Apple is continuing to run into troubles in its attempt to develop a 5G
modem to replace Qualcomm's 5G modems in the iPhone and other products,
reports Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Apple in 2019 acquired the majority of Intel's smartphone business and
started in on a serious effort to develop its own modem hardware, but the
project has suffered multiple setbacks. Apple is still "years away" from
creating a chip that is able to perform as well as or better than chips
from rival Qualcomm.

The Cupertino company initially wanted to have an in-house modem chip ready
to go by 2024, a goal that could not be met, and now Gurman says that Apple
is also going to miss an extended spring 2025 launch timeline. As of now,
the modem chip launch has been postponed until the end of 2025 or early
2026, and Apple is still planning to introduce the technology in a version
of the low-cost iPhone SE.

Development on a modem chip is said to be in the early stages, and it "may
lag behind the competition by years." One version in development does not
support faster mmWave technology, and Apple has also run into issues with
the Intel code that it has been working with. Rewrites have been required,
and adding new features has been causing existing features to break, plus
Apple has to be careful not to infringe on Qualcomm patents while
developing the chip.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/11/16/apple-in-house-5g-modem-delays/

Re: Apple's In-House 5G Modem Work Faces Further Delays

<uj891t$7m5l$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10307&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10307

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 13:48:46 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 17:48 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote

> Apple is continuing to run into troubles in its attempt to develop a 5G
> modem to replace Qualcomm's 5G modems in the iPhone and other products,
> reports Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Bear in mind that to know Apple is to be able to predict Apple, and I said
from the start that Apple won't release the 5G modem IC until _after_ the
patents expire (because Apple is incompetent at independent IC design).

I also said that, without those patents, Apple will be _years behind_
Qualcomm, Samsung, MediaTek & Huawei because being ten years behind on
their first IC shows design incompetence like nothing else possibly can.

The only people who believe Apple's claims are those who are ignorant of
Apple's sordid record on GPUs, holes in secure enclave & Bionic CPUs, etc.
--
Never forget Apple is like Big Soda & Big Tobacco - all Marketing. No R&D.

Re: Apple's In-House 5G Modem Work Faces Further Delays

<uj8dv0$2tr71$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10312&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10312

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:12:31 -0800
 by: Alan - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 19:12 UTC

On 2023-11-17 09:48, Wally J wrote:
> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> Apple is continuing to run into troubles in its attempt to develop a 5G
>> modem to replace Qualcomm's 5G modems in the iPhone and other products,
>> reports Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.
>
> Bear in mind that to know Apple is to be able to predict Apple, and I said
> from the start that Apple won't release the 5G modem IC until _after_ the
> patents expire (because Apple is incompetent at independent IC design).

You mean aside from the completely independent IC design of the Apple
Silicon CPUs, right?

> I also said that, without those patents, Apple will be _years behind_
> Qualcomm, Samsung, MediaTek & Huawei because being ten years behind on
> their first IC shows design incompetence like nothing else possibly can.
>
> The only people who believe Apple's claims are those who are ignorant of
> Apple's sordid record on GPUs, holes in secure enclave & Bionic CPUs, etc.

LOL!

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Re: Apple's In-House 5G Modem Work Faces Further Delays