From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: War story for Easter
Date: 29 Mar 2024 07:36:41 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 07:36 UTC

(not that it has any connection to Easter). Apologies if I've posted this
before.

Our university's ICL 2960 was reasonably reliable - rather more so after
we retired VME/K (the manufacturer-supplied operating system) in favour of
EMAS, an operating system from the University of Edinburgh. The main
points of hardware failure seemed to be fans and power supply units.

When the machine did break down, it caused great disruption to classes,
and these were not easily rescheduled. We were thus under great pressure
to get back in operation as soon as possible. We had invaluable assistance
in this from our site engineers, in particular a lovely man who lived near
me.

One of the most frustrating things was the time it took a spare PSU to
reach us, even with two engineers doing a halfway meet (the trials of
being at the 'wrong' end of the county). So we had a cunning plan; we kept
unofficial on-site spares - unknown to the engineers' manager, who, by
judicious use of smoke and mirrors, was persuaded (unwittingly) to provide
several spare units, at least one of each kind.

The problem was where to store them. They had to be accessible to the
engineers, but could not be kept in the room provided for them, because
their manager might have noticed. Instead, they were stored under the
false floor in the machine room, scattered in various empty spaces.

Of course, there was then the problem of finding the right unit without
lifting half the floor. This was solved by the production of a 'treasure
map', the grid corresponding to the floor tile layout. The map was taped
to the back of a drawer in the engineers' room...well away from management
eyes.

We still found a couple of mislaid PSUs when the machine was
decommissioned.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: War story for Easter

<20240329085924.c1e3f031a7abfddf7afe1933@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10408&group=alt.folklore.computers#10408

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: War story for Easter
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 08:59:24 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 08:59 UTC

On 29 Mar 2024 07:36:41 GMT
Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:

> (not that it has any connection to Easter). Apologies if I've posted this
> before.
>
> Our university's ICL 2960 was reasonably reliable - rather more so after
> we retired VME/K (the manufacturer-supplied operating system) in favour of
> EMAS, an operating system from the University of Edinburgh. The main
> points of hardware failure seemed to be fans and power supply units.
>
> When the machine did break down, it caused great disruption to classes,
> and these were not easily rescheduled. We were thus under great pressure
> to get back in operation as soon as possible. We had invaluable assistance
> in this from our site engineers, in particular a lovely man who lived near
> me.
>
> One of the most frustrating things was the time it took a spare PSU to
> reach us, even with two engineers doing a halfway meet (the trials of
> being at the 'wrong' end of the county). So we had a cunning plan; we kept
> unofficial on-site spares - unknown to the engineers' manager, who, by
> judicious use of smoke and mirrors, was persuaded (unwittingly) to provide
> several spare units, at least one of each kind.
>
> The problem was where to store them. They had to be accessible to the
> engineers, but could not be kept in the room provided for them, because
> their manager might have noticed. Instead, they were stored under the
> false floor in the machine room, scattered in various empty spaces.
>
> Of course, there was then the problem of finding the right unit without
> lifting half the floor. This was solved by the production of a 'treasure
> map', the grid corresponding to the floor tile layout. The map was taped
> to the back of a drawer in the engineers' room...well away from management
> eyes.
>
> We still found a couple of mislaid PSUs when the machine was
> decommissioned.

Sounds a bit like an Easter egg hunt!

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: War story for Easter

<cb3e02e8-b1d1-3b87-81c2-931305863222@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10410&group=alt.folklore.computers#10410

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:20:11 +0100
 by: D - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 11:20 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024, Bob Eager wrote:

> (not that it has any connection to Easter). Apologies if I've posted this
> before.
>
> Our university's ICL 2960 was reasonably reliable - rather more so after
> we retired VME/K (the manufacturer-supplied operating system) in favour of
> EMAS, an operating system from the University of Edinburgh. The main
> points of hardware failure seemed to be fans and power supply units.
>
> When the machine did break down, it caused great disruption to classes,
> and these were not easily rescheduled. We were thus under great pressure
> to get back in operation as soon as possible. We had invaluable assistance
> in this from our site engineers, in particular a lovely man who lived near
> me.
>
> One of the most frustrating things was the time it took a spare PSU to
> reach us, even with two engineers doing a halfway meet (the trials of
> being at the 'wrong' end of the county). So we had a cunning plan; we kept
> unofficial on-site spares - unknown to the engineers' manager, who, by
> judicious use of smoke and mirrors, was persuaded (unwittingly) to provide
> several spare units, at least one of each kind.
>
> The problem was where to store them. They had to be accessible to the
> engineers, but could not be kept in the room provided for them, because
> their manager might have noticed. Instead, they were stored under the
> false floor in the machine room, scattered in various empty spaces.
>
> Of course, there was then the problem of finding the right unit without
> lifting half the floor. This was solved by the production of a 'treasure
> map', the grid corresponding to the floor tile layout. The map was taped
> to the back of a drawer in the engineers' room...well away from management
> eyes.
>
> We still found a couple of mislaid PSUs when the machine was
> decommissioned.

Thank you for sharing!

Let me add an anecdote of my own... (I did not experience this myself, but
the story is fun none the less).

There once upon a time was a company that did backups according to all the
rules in the books, and they used tapes, and they rotated them and stored
them off site according to best practice (almost).

Then one day, they had a problem and had to restore from an off site tape.
They stored their tapes in a box in some kind of self-storage facility. So
said and done... the admin went there, opened the box, got the correct
tape labeled all nicely and went back to the office as a happy camper.

Once there, they discovered that on the tape there was just garbage.

What was wrong?

An investigation showed that apparently the neighbour who had the
self-storage unit wall-to-wall with theirs, was storing strong magnets
there and that was what erased all their backup tapes.

Take care everyone! ;)

Re: War story for Easter

<20240329122204.db1761ec91f47246f3fb9907@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10411&group=alt.folklore.computers#10411

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:22:04 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:22 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:20:11 +0100
D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

> There once upon a time was a company that did backups according to all
> the rules in the books, and they used tapes, and they rotated them and
> stored them off site according to best practice (almost).

Now that brings to mind a site I set up with an Altos Xenix box, a
bunch of terminals, Uniplex and some proprietary software. As part of the
setting up we provided a box of tapes labelled with days of the week
including several Friday tapes and instructed them to change the tape every
day and take the Friday tape offsite to be replaced by the oldest one.
Normal stuff.

Time passes and there's a disaster, the hard disk failed. Not a big
problem, replacement disk gets put in and I'm on site to get them back up
and running. So I put last night's backup tape in and of course it's
corrupt, turns out the disk failed *during* the backup. So I tell them the
bad news, they've lost a day's work and I load the previous day's tape in.
It's *blank*.

Turns out that for the last six months they had never changed the
tape so despite all the careful planning they had no backup. They learned!

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: War story for Easter

<uu7kq3$ipoh$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10428&group=alt.folklore.computers#10428

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 00:02:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 00:02 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:20:11 +0100, D wrote:

> An investigation showed that apparently the neighbour who had the
> self-storage unit wall-to-wall with theirs, was storing strong magnets
> there and that was what erased all their backup tapes.

I’m not sure that strong static magnetic fields on their own are able to
erase tapes. This may be hearsay, but I remember a friend telling me about
a demonstration done with those crane magnets used to pick up cars at
wreckers’ yards, being used to lift a load of magtape reels, after which
they read perfectly.

It takes oscillating fields to erase magnetic media. Something like a
high-current transformer, perhaps?

Re: War story for Easter

<c473eed3-6f80-4c23-6fca-38d4f86f2e35@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10434&group=alt.folklore.computers#10434

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 14:56:23 +0100
 by: D - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 13:56 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:20:11 +0100
> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>
>> There once upon a time was a company that did backups according to all
>> the rules in the books, and they used tapes, and they rotated them and
>> stored them off site according to best practice (almost).
>
> Now that brings to mind a site I set up with an Altos Xenix box, a
> bunch of terminals, Uniplex and some proprietary software. As part of the
> setting up we provided a box of tapes labelled with days of the week
> including several Friday tapes and instructed them to change the tape every
> day and take the Friday tape offsite to be replaced by the oldest one.
> Normal stuff.
>
> Time passes and there's a disaster, the hard disk failed. Not a big
> problem, replacement disk gets put in and I'm on site to get them back up
> and running. So I put last night's backup tape in and of course it's
> corrupt, turns out the disk failed *during* the backup. So I tell them the
> bad news, they've lost a day's work and I load the previous day's tape in.
> It's *blank*.
>
> Turns out that for the last six months they had never changed the
> tape so despite all the careful planning they had no backup. They learned!

Ouch! Experience can be a cruel but effective teacher!