"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." -- Frank Zappa

computers / alt.folklore.computers / on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

SubjectAuthor
* on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanJohanne Fairchild
+* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
|`- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanJohanne Fairchild
`* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanOrangeFish
 `* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
  +* Re: Emacs, was on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanJohn Levine
  |+- Re: Emacs, was on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
  |`- Re: Emacs, was on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanDave Garrett
  +* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanAhem A Rivet's Shot
  |+* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallmangreymaus
  ||+- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
  ||`* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanBud Frede
  || `* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanMike Spencer
  ||  `* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanLawrence D'Oliveiro
  ||   `* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanMike Spencer
  ||    `* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanLawrence D'Oliveiro
  ||     `* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanMike Spencer
  ||      `- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanLawrence D'Oliveiro
  |+- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
  |`* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanBud Frede
  | `- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanPeter Flass
  +* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanLawrence D'Oliveiro
  |+* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanScott Lurndal
  ||+- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanLawrence D'Oliveiro
  ||+- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
  ||`- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD.J.
  |`* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
  | +* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanJohn
  | |+* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanMike Spencer
  | ||+- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
  | ||`- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanBozo User
  | |+* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanScott Lurndal
  | ||`- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanJohn
  | |+- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
  | |+- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanBozo User
  | |+- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanLawrence D'Oliveiro
  | |`- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanBob Vloon
  | +- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallmangreymaus
  | `- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanLawrence D'Oliveiro
  +* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanDan Cross
  |`- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
  `* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanDennis Boone
   +- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanLawrence D'Oliveiro
   `* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanCharlie Gibbs
    +- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
    `* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanLawrence D'Oliveiro
     `* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
      +* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanScott Lurndal
      |+- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD
      |`- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanDan Espen
      `* Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanLawrence D'Oliveiro
       `- Re: on James Gosling versus Richard StallmanD

Pages:123
on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<8734s2vyy3.fsf@tudado.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10485&group=alt.folklore.computers#10485

From: jfairchild@tudado.org (Johanne Fairchild)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 19:55:16 -0300
sha1:DHYLv/JkDHEf7iRyhTR/xg51YzY=
 by: Johanne Fairchild - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 22:55 UTC

I've watched (some time ago) the two parts of James Gosling Oral History
for the Computer History Museum. IIRC, he accuses Richard Stallman of
plagiarism at some point in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6XHroNewc

I'm going to watch it all over to find out exactly what he said and I'll
post it here. I wonder if someone, however, remembers at what point in
the video he does say it. I also wonder if anyone has any verifiable
facts to share regarding the dispute. Thank you.

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<bec7604a-d011-d287-5907-5f93a0ed230d@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10489&group=alt.folklore.computers#10489

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 11:04:01 +0200
 by: D - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 09:04 UTC

On Wed, 3 Apr 2024, Johanne Fairchild wrote:

> I've watched (some time ago) the two parts of James Gosling Oral History
> for the Computer History Museum. IIRC, he accuses Richard Stallman of
> plagiarism at some point in
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6XHroNewc
>
> I'm going to watch it all over to find out exactly what he said and I'll
> post it here. I wonder if someone, however, remembers at what point in
> the video he does say it. I also wonder if anyone has any verifiable
> facts to share regarding the dispute. Thank you.

Please do. Sounds like a very interesting claim!

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<uumeep$n0u2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10490&group=alt.folklore.computers#10490

From: OrangeFish@invalid.invalid (OrangeFish)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 10:45:45 -0400
 by: OrangeFish - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 14:45 UTC

On 2024-04-03 18:55, Johanne Fairchild wrote:
> I've watched (some time ago) the two parts of James Gosling Oral History
> for the Computer History Museum. IIRC, he accuses Richard Stallman of
> plagiarism at some point in
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6XHroNewc
>
> I'm going to watch it all over to find out exactly what he said and I'll
> post it here. I wonder if someone, however, remembers at what point in
> the video he does say it. I also wonder if anyone has any verifiable
> facts to share regarding the dispute. Thank you.

Some commentary here:
https://www.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2017-February/010194.html

OF

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<c833ea6a-b602-422a-1908-c935f339d2c5@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10493&group=alt.folklore.computers#10493

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200
 by: D - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 17:04 UTC

On Thu, 4 Apr 2024, OrangeFish wrote:

> On 2024-04-03 18:55, Johanne Fairchild wrote:
>> I've watched (some time ago) the two parts of James Gosling Oral History
>> for the Computer History Museum. IIRC, he accuses Richard Stallman of
>> plagiarism at some point in
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6XHroNewc
>>
>> I'm going to watch it all over to find out exactly what he said and I'll
>> post it here. I wonder if someone, however, remembers at what point in
>> the video he does say it. I also wonder if anyone has any verifiable
>> facts to share regarding the dispute. Thank you.
>
> Some commentary here:
> https://www.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2017-February/010194.html
>
> OF

Oh, seems quite trivial. Not at all what I expected. Slightly related,
what's the gold standard for a minimalist Emacs? I'm a vim-man myself, but
every couple of years I get an itch to check it out, recoil and the
enormous size of standard emacs, try and look for something sane/smaller,
and then go back to vim. Any new contenders out there I should check out?

Re: Emacs, was on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<uumo48$28n4$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10494&group=alt.folklore.computers#10494

From: johnl@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Emacs, was on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 17:30:48 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 17:30 UTC

According to D <nospam@example.net>:
>Oh, seems quite trivial. Not at all what I expected. Slightly related,
>what's the gold standard for a minimalist Emacs? I'm a vim-man myself, but
>every couple of years I get an itch to check it out, recoil and the
>enormous size of standard emacs, try and look for something sane/smaller,
>and then go back to vim. Any new contenders out there I should check out?

It's not exactly new, but there's a commercial version of Emacs called
Epsilon that I have been using since the 1980s (that's not a typo.) It
is small and fast because it is written in C. Its extension language
eel looks a lot like C. It costs money and is totally worth it. I
originally used it on MS-DOS, now on FreeBSD, Linux, and MacOS.

You can find free evaluation versions (fully functional, time limited) here https://www.lugaru.com/

R's,
John
--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<20240404193747.c3922ee4944aec43d2ebc9b5@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10495&group=alt.folklore.computers#10495

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:37:47 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:37 UTC

On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200
D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

> Oh, seems quite trivial. Not at all what I expected. Slightly related,
> what's the gold standard for a minimalist Emacs? I'm a vim-man myself,
> but every couple of years I get an itch to check it out, recoil and the
> enormous size of standard emacs, try and look for something sane/smaller,
> and then go back to vim. Any new contenders out there I should check out?

There's a thing called neovim that some speak highly of - I've yet
to try it myself.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<slrnv0u7ur.16g8.maus@d1.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10496&group=alt.folklore.computers#10496

From: maus@d1.org (greymaus)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 4 Apr 2024 21:47:07 GMT
 by: greymaus - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 21:47 UTC

On 2024-04-04, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200
> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>
>> Oh, seems quite trivial. Not at all what I expected. Slightly related,
>> what's the gold standard for a minimalist Emacs? I'm a vim-man myself,
>> but every couple of years I get an itch to check it out, recoil and the
>> enormous size of standard emacs, try and look for something sane/smaller,
>> and then go back to vim. Any new contenders out there I should check out?
>
> There's a thing called neovim that some speak highly of - I've yet
> to try it myself.

There was an emacs for slackware that was very good,forget what it was
called. Every now and again I have the urge to install slackware, but
debian, afaik it is more up yo date, and then, again I remember, there
was something previous to Stallman, (microemacs)

--
greymausg@mail.com
Come Back Boris, all is forgiven,

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<uundvj$ugsb$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10497&group=alt.folklore.computers#10497

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 23:43:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 23:43 UTC

On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200, D wrote:

> ... recoil and the enormous size of standard emacs ...

Let’s face it: “Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping” just isn’t that
big a deal any more.

The nice thing with Emacs is, you can start using it right out of the box,
and grow from there. Make sure to install the documentation package (this
is separated out on Debian derivatives because the GNU “Free”
Documentation License isn’t really considered free), and remember that the
entire help system is accessible from CTRL/H (or F1, if you prefer).

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<giHPN.189577$taff.19718@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10498&group=alt.folklore.computers#10498

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 00:08:44 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 00:08 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> writes:
>On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200, D wrote:
>
>> ... recoil and the enormous size of standard emacs ...
>
>Let’s face it: “Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping” just isn’t that
>big a deal any more.
>
>The nice thing with Emacs is, you can start using it right out of the box,

The nice thing with vim is that you can start using it right out of the box.

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<uunft5$ur$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10499&group=alt.folklore.computers#10499

From: cross@spitfire.i.gajendra.net (Dan Cross)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 00:16:37 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: cross@spitfire.i.gajendra.net (Dan Cross)
 by: Dan Cross - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 00:16 UTC

In article <c833ea6a-b602-422a-1908-c935f339d2c5@example.net>,
D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Apr 2024, OrangeFish wrote:
>
>> On 2024-04-03 18:55, Johanne Fairchild wrote:
>>> I've watched (some time ago) the two parts of James Gosling Oral History
>>> for the Computer History Museum. IIRC, he accuses Richard Stallman of
>>> plagiarism at some point in
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6XHroNewc
>>>
>>> I'm going to watch it all over to find out exactly what he said and I'll
>>> post it here. I wonder if someone, however, remembers at what point in
>>> the video he does say it. I also wonder if anyone has any verifiable
>>> facts to share regarding the dispute. Thank you.
>>
>> Some commentary here:
>> https://www.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2017-February/010194.html
>
>Oh, seems quite trivial. Not at all what I expected.

That's not exactly what happened. Stallman basically
took Gosling's code and slapped his own copyright notices
on it; he did eventually excise all of it, but it was
definitely poor form to start.

>Slightly related, what's the gold standard for a
>minimalist Emacs?

Some folks speak highly of `mg`, which is very small.

- Dan C.

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<uungvf$vbtu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10500&group=alt.folklore.computers#10500

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 00:34:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 00:34 UTC

On Fri, 05 Apr 2024 00:08:44 GMT, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> writes:
>>On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200, D wrote:
>>
>>> ... recoil and the enormous size of standard emacs ...
>>
>>Let’s face it: “Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping” just isn’t that
>>big a deal any more.
>>
>>The nice thing with Emacs is, you can start using it right out of the
>>box,
>
> The nice thing with vim is that you can start using it right out of the
> box.

That’s very nice. Just like a proper editor.

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<9-GcnYl7T_EqxJL7nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10501&group=alt.folklore.computers#10501

Sender: <drb@yagi.h-net.org>
From: drb@ihatespam.msu.edu (Dennis Boone)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 01:53:59 +0000
 by: Dennis Boone - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 01:53 UTC

> Oh, seems quite trivial. Not at all what I expected. Slightly related,
> what's the gold standard for a minimalist Emacs? I'm a vim-man myself, but
> every couple of years I get an itch to check it out, recoil and the
> enormous size of standard emacs, try and look for something sane/smaller,
> and then go back to vim. Any new contenders out there I should check out?

Thoughts:

1. Current GNU emacs is only 2-3 times the size of vim.

2. Emacs is more than just an editor, it's really intended to be an
IDE, a complete working environment and a platform for building all
sorts of tools, including file management, email, calendar, task lists
and notes, and many other things.

3. Vim is more than just an editor, much like the above.

De

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<uunod6$14iih$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10502&group=alt.folklore.computers#10502

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 02:41:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 02:41 UTC

On Fri, 05 Apr 2024 01:53:59 +0000, Dennis Boone wrote:

> 2. Emacs is more than just an editor, it's really intended to be an
> IDE, a complete working environment and a platform for building all
> sorts of tools, including file management, email, calendar, task lists
> and notes, and many other things.

I wouldn’t call Emacs an “IDE”. An “IDE” is something that mandates its
own build toolchain, like Microsoft Visual Studio or Apple XCode do. Emacs
can work with any build toolchain.

Maybe call it an “orchestration platform”.

> 3. Vim is more than just an editor, much like the above.

Vim is still a text editor, though. Emacs is an editor.

Re: Emacs, was on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<5a503601-6a10-43b2-aec9-edaeb4f98279@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10503&group=alt.folklore.computers#10503

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 16:59:07 +0200
 by: D - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 14:59 UTC

On Thu, 4 Apr 2024, John Levine wrote:

> According to D <nospam@example.net>:
>> Oh, seems quite trivial. Not at all what I expected. Slightly related,
>> what's the gold standard for a minimalist Emacs? I'm a vim-man myself, but
>> every couple of years I get an itch to check it out, recoil and the
>> enormous size of standard emacs, try and look for something sane/smaller,
>> and then go back to vim. Any new contenders out there I should check out?
>
> It's not exactly new, but there's a commercial version of Emacs called
> Epsilon that I have been using since the 1980s (that's not a typo.) It
> is small and fast because it is written in C. Its extension language
> eel looks a lot like C. It costs money and is totally worth it. I
> originally used it on MS-DOS, now on FreeBSD, Linux, and MacOS.
>
> You can find free evaluation versions (fully functional, time limited) here https://www.lugaru.com/
>
> R's,
> John

Thank you very much John, will definitely have a look!

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<1eb4ec07-d2a6-c13d-4751-c6a1a1fca20b@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10504&group=alt.folklore.computers#10504

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 17:00:49 +0200
 by: D - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 15:00 UTC

On Thu, 4 Apr 2024, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200
> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>
>> Oh, seems quite trivial. Not at all what I expected. Slightly related,
>> what's the gold standard for a minimalist Emacs? I'm a vim-man myself,
>> but every couple of years I get an itch to check it out, recoil and the
>> enormous size of standard emacs, try and look for something sane/smaller,
>> and then go back to vim. Any new contenders out there I should check out?
>
> There's a thing called neovim that some speak highly of - I've yet
> to try it myself.

I've used vim for more than 2 decades and consider myself a power user,
but when it comes to vim vs neovim I'm not a power-power user, so for me
the difference is minimal. I now use neovim because it removed lots of old
code and support from the original vim and I wanted to "push" the vim
project to keep up, and now I'm stuck on neovim, but for my extremely
simple use cases (mostly day to day writing and system administration
with a little bit of scripting thrown in) no difference at all.

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<aeab6962-a5eb-dc2d-d7dd-c1f691aefd64@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10505&group=alt.folklore.computers#10505

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 17:02:47 +0200
 by: D - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 15:02 UTC

On Thu, 4 Apr 2024, greymaus wrote:

> On 2024-04-04, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200
>> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, seems quite trivial. Not at all what I expected. Slightly related,
>>> what's the gold standard for a minimalist Emacs? I'm a vim-man myself,
>>> but every couple of years I get an itch to check it out, recoil and the
>>> enormous size of standard emacs, try and look for something sane/smaller,
>>> and then go back to vim. Any new contenders out there I should check out?
>>
>> There's a thing called neovim that some speak highly of - I've yet
>> to try it myself.
>>

> There was an emacs for slackware that was very good,forget what it was
> called. Every now and again I have the urge to install slackware, but
> debian, afaik it is more up yo date, and then, again I remember, there
> was something previous to Stallman, (microemacs)

Slckware is one of my options to evaluate if my current distribution,
opensuse, should ever go with containers and r/o root. My list of options
to flee to would be alpine linux, slackware or freebsd.

I'm also fascinated by nixos, but I doubt I have the energy to learn an
entire language with too many decades invested in regular linux, but the
concept is nice and perhaps it might become a new standard for younglings?

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<10673cb1-64de-bd70-c37b-2b712694d4cb@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10506&group=alt.folklore.computers#10506

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 17:04:18 +0200
 by: D - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 15:04 UTC

On Thu, 4 Apr 2024, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200, D wrote:
>
>> ... recoil and the enormous size of standard emacs ...
>
> Let’s face it: “Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping” just isn’t that
> big a deal any more.
>
> The nice thing with Emacs is, you can start using it right out of the box,
> and grow from there. Make sure to install the documentation package (this
> is separated out on Debian derivatives because the GNU “Free”
> Documentation License isn’t really considered free), and remember that the
> entire help system is accessible from CTRL/H (or F1, if you prefer).

Same with vim. Since I like the unix philosophy I like ideally to have one
tool that does one thing well. I'd rather combine several commands, than
have one big program that does all.

In terms of vim I don't use any extensions but use it more or less out of
the box since I was more of an operations guy than a developer.

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<ba4d1f68-4a83-bc09-2458-198b94caef73@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10507&group=alt.folklore.computers#10507

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 17:04:32 +0200
 by: D - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 15:04 UTC

On Fri, 5 Apr 2024, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> writes:
>> On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200, D wrote:
>>
>>> ... recoil and the enormous size of standard emacs ...
>>
>> Let???s face it: ???Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping??? just isn???t that
>> big a deal any more.
>>
>> The nice thing with Emacs is, you can start using it right out of the box,
>
> The nice thing with vim is that you can start using it right out of the box.

Haha, touché! ;)

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<a829207c-f49f-2ced-f6b9-a743d80f8e5b@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10508&group=alt.folklore.computers#10508

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 17:04:57 +0200
 by: D - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 15:04 UTC

On Fri, 5 Apr 2024, Dan Cross wrote:

> In article <c833ea6a-b602-422a-1908-c935f339d2c5@example.net>,
> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

>>> Some commentary here:
>>> https://www.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2017-February/010194.html
>>
>> Oh, seems quite trivial. Not at all what I expected.
>
> That's not exactly what happened. Stallman basically
> took Gosling's code and slapped his own copyright notices
> on it; he did eventually excise all of it, but it was
> definitely poor form to start.
>
>> Slightly related, what's the gold standard for a
>> minimalist Emacs?
>
> Some folks speak highly of `mg`, which is very small.
>
> - Dan C.

Thank you Dan, mg added to the list to check out as well.

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<86sezz200b.fsf@building-m.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10509&group=alt.folklore.computers#10509

From: john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 17:27:16 +0000
 by: John - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 17:27 UTC

D <nospam@example.net> writes:

> On Thu, 4 Apr 2024, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200, D wrote:
>>
>>> ... recoil and the enormous size of standard emacs ...
>>
>> Let’s face it: “Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping” just isn’t that
>> big a deal any more.
>>
>> The nice thing with Emacs is, you can start using it right out of the box,
>> and grow from there. Make sure to install the documentation package (this
>> is separated out on Debian derivatives because the GNU “Free”
>> Documentation License isn’t really considered free), and remember that the
>> entire help system is accessible from CTRL/H (or F1, if you prefer).
>
> Same with vim. Since I like the unix philosophy I like ideally to have
> one tool that does one thing well. I'd rather combine several
> commands, than have one big program that does all.
>
> In terms of vim I don't use any extensions but use it more or less out
> of the box since I was more of an operations guy than a developer.

I think people get too hung up on "the unix philosophy" sometimes. I've
been using Unix and Unix-adjacent systems for over twenty years: Linux,
various BSDs, Solaris, Plan 9. At various times I've used emacs, vi,
acme, and sam as my primary editors. The main thing I think of anymore
when somebody starts talking about "the unix philosophy" is that nobody
dares to put a `find` program in Plan 9 because it's too GNU-ish, so we
all typed `du -a | grep <filename>` and scolded any newbie who dared
post on the mailing list asking for find.

Anyway, is there such a huge difference between "foo < xyz | bar | baz"
and "(baz (bar (foo xyz)))"? In both cases you're invoking little bits
of code, feeding the output of one to another, and it can be just as
interactive in emacs as in a shell. Does it make such a difference if
you type :s/foo/bar/g or M-x replace-regexp RET foo RET bar, aside from
a couple more keystrokes in the latter? (but not many, thanks to
tab-complete)

After years away, I've been exploring emacs again and there's a lot to
love in there. In some ways it doesn't feel super Unixy, sure, and
there's good reason for that: it grew up on a lot of non-Unix systems
first. But Unix isn't the ultimate evolution of the operating system,
and Emacs is basically the most coherent vision for a self-contained
environment which is as flexible/extensible as Unix. It's a spiritual
successor in some ways to the Lisp machines, where everything is just
*there* for inspection and evaluation and modification.

I think anybody who's interested in computing, and especially in
computer folklore, owes it to themselves to try using Emacs. It's cool
to come away from that attempt disliking it, but it's such a weird and
wild and interesting *thing*. Don't forget to run M-x list-packages and
see all the stuff people have built on top of this weirdly archaic
single-threaded lisp system.

john

p.s. try acme too, it's totally different but also a lot of fun.

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<54d01jlb0cn0avof6mdpad6rcgnhkniss4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10510&group=alt.folklore.computers#10510

From: chucktheouch@gmnol.com (D.J.)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 12:28:13 -0500
 by: D.J. - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 17:28 UTC

On Fri, 05 Apr 2024 00:08:44 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:
>Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> writes:
>>On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200, D wrote:
>>
>>> ... recoil and the enormous size of standard emacs ...
>>
>>Let’s face it: “Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swappingâ€? just isn’t that
>>big a deal any more.
>>
>>The nice thing with Emacs is, you can start using it right out of the box,
>
>The nice thing with vim is that you can start using it right out of the box.

I start using EditPad Lite 8 right out of the box.
--
Jim

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<eHWPN.231115$hN14.203116@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10511&group=alt.folklore.computers#10511

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
From: cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 17:39:22 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 17:39 UTC

On 2024-04-05, Dennis Boone <drb@ihatespam.msu.edu> wrote:

>> Oh, seems quite trivial. Not at all what I expected. Slightly related,
>> what's the gold standard for a minimalist Emacs? I'm a vim-man myself, but
>> every couple of years I get an itch to check it out, recoil and the
>> enormous size of standard emacs, try and look for something sane/smaller,
>> and then go back to vim. Any new contenders out there I should check out?
>
> Thoughts:
>
> 1. Current GNU emacs is only 2-3 times the size of vim.
>
> 2. Emacs is more than just an editor, it's really intended to be an
> IDE, a complete working environment and a platform for building all
> sorts of tools, including file management, email, calendar, task lists
> and notes, and many other things.

As the old saying goes, it's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't
want to visit there.

> 3. Vim is more than just an editor, much like the above.

My fingers speak vim, to the point where if I'm using a different
editor I'll often see a string of Js appear on the screen when
I'm trying to move down.

I did try emacs a couple of times, but its mindset is just
too foreign for me.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | The Internet is like a big city:
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | it has plenty of bright lights and

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<slrnv10gjo.p5f.maus@d1.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10512&group=alt.folklore.computers#10512

From: maus@d1.org (greymaus)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 5 Apr 2024 18:27:04 GMT
 by: greymaus - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 18:27 UTC

On 2024-04-05, D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
> This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text,
> while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
>
> --8323328-574512632-1712329460=:10296
>

> On Thu, 4 Apr 2024, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:04:21 +0200, D wrote:
>>
>>> ... recoil and the enormous size of standard emacs ...
>>
>> Let’s face it: “Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping” just isn’t that
>> big a deal any more.
>>
>> The nice thing with Emacs is, you can start using it right out of the box,
>> and grow from there. Make sure to install the documentation package (this
>> is separated out on Debian derivatives because the GNU “Free”
>> Documentation License isn’t really considered free), and remember that the
>> entire help system is accessible from CTRL/H (or F1, if you prefer).
>
> Same with vim. Since I like the unix philosophy I like ideally to have one
> tool that does one thing well. I'd rather combine several commands, than
> have one big program that does all.
>
> In terms of vim I don't use any extensions but use it more or less out of
> the box since I was more of an operations guy than a developer.
> --8323328-574512632-1712329460=:10296--

--
greymausg@mail.com
Come Back Boris, all is forgiven,
Oh, drat, he has.

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<87o7anlh8w.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10513&group=alt.folklore.computers#10513

From: mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 05 Apr 2024 16:52:15 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 19:52 UTC

John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> writes:

> I think anybody who's interested in computing, and especially in
> computer folklore, owes it to themselves to try using Emacs. It's cool
> to come away from that attempt disliking it, but it's such a weird and
> wild and interesting *thing*. Don't forget to run M-x list-packages and
> see all the stuff people have built on top of this weirdly archaic
> single-threaded lisp system.

1989: On a visit to a friend at Project Athena, the plunked me in
front of (what was them) a powerful Unix work station with some
manuals for a (obviously pre-HTML) multimedia authoring system.
Default editor was Emacs. I was a CP/M power user and hated Emacs.
Walked across to Kendall Sq. and bought the hardcopy Emacs manual, read
it all. Came grudgingly to terms with Emacs.

Fast forward over 30 years. Included some period logging into Unix
systems using my Osborne I as a dial-up terminal. 1999 conversion to
Caldera Linux which defaulted to XEmacs and KDE. Quickly downloaded
GNU Emacs, soon switched to Slackware with twm and have never looked
back.

I now use Emacs for email, news, shell and file management,
occasionally for writing a bit of C, Perl or shell scripts. I would
be crippled without it.

Every time I upgrade my Slackware system, I install the most recent
Emacs and try it. After hours of unsuccessfully trying to fix or
eliminate features that I hate -- abandonment of RMAIL,
unreadable standout colors, mouse stuff -- I revert to 20.7.2 that I
compiled in 1999.

Yes, I do know a bit of Lisp, once wrote a simple-minded embodiment of
Ashby's "homeostat" in XLisp, but have only tweaked Emacs lisp a
couple of very elementary time. Brain too old, perhaps, to really
beat up Emacs Lisp.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: on James Gosling versus Richard Stallman

<fHYPN.5$zaCc.2@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10514&group=alt.folklore.computers#10514

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 19:55:55 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 19:55 UTC

John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> writes:
>D <nospam@example.net> writes:
>

>> Same with vim. Since I like the unix philosophy I like ideally to have
>> one tool that does one thing well. I'd rather combine several
>> commands, than have one big program that does all.
>>
>> In terms of vim I don't use any extensions but use it more or less out
>> of the box since I was more of an operations guy than a developer.
>
>I think people get too hung up on "the unix philosophy" sometimes. I've
>been using Unix and Unix-adjacent systems for over twenty years: Linux,
>various BSDs, Solaris, Plan 9. At various times I've used emacs, vi,
>acme, and sam as my primary editors. The main thing I think of anymore
>when somebody starts talking about "the unix philosophy" is that nobody
>dares to put a `find` program in Plan 9 because it's too GNU-ish, so we
>all typed `du -a | grep <filename>` and scolded any newbie who dared
>post on the mailing list asking for find.

Gnu-ish? find(1) predates GNU.

>I think anybody who's interested in computing, and especially in
>computer folklore, owes it to themselves to try using Emacs.

Been there, done that, went back to vim.