May the bluebird of happiness twiddle your bits.

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Re: Ducking keyboard

SubjectAuthor
* Ducking keyboardChris
+* Re: Ducking keyboardTyrone
|`* Re: Ducking keyboardChris
| `- Re: Ducking keyboardTyrone
`* Re: Ducking keyboardJörg Lorenz
 `* Re: Ducking keyboardChris
  +- Re: Ducking keyboardPaul Goodman
  `* Re: Ducking keyboardJörg Lorenz
   +- Re: Ducking keyboardJörg Lorenz
   `- Re: Ducking keyboardChris

1
Ducking keyboard

<ujq19f$2a758$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10575&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10575

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Ducking keyboard
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 11:26:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:IOf+kcSETpQtm505V9k9EeQdbXs=
 by: Chris - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 11:26 UTC

So I upgraded to ios 17 and one of the things I looking forward to was the
improvements to the keyboard and typing. It was highlighted in the launch
event.

Frankly, I'm underwhelmed. The predictive text is still far too sanitised.
Even words like murder aren't offered up as options. Swearing is unreliable
and the correction of two words is too aggressive which changes the
original meaning drastically . Selecting words is a ducking nightmare, the
cursor rarely ends up where I want it even in "spacebar" mode.

There are weird visual artefacts such as randomly highlighted words (in
dark grey and hard to see in dark mode) and red underlines that don't
respond to anything. I suspect the red underline is spell checker but it
doesn't offer up suggestions. Should it?

One improvement is it no longer offers up nonsense words as options.

Anyone seeing genuine improvements? I normally swipe to type if that makes
a difference.

Re: Ducking keyboard

<7xudnSPvRZRTLP34nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10576&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10576

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Ducking keyboard
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 14:23:10 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 14:23 UTC

On Nov 24, 2023 at 6:26:39 AM EST, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I upgraded to ios 17 and one of the things I looking forward to was the
> improvements to the keyboard and typing. It was highlighted in the launch
> event.
>
> Frankly, I'm underwhelmed. The predictive text is still far too sanitised.
> Even words like murder aren't offered up as options. Swearing is unreliable
> and the correction of two words is too aggressive which changes the
> original meaning drastically . Selecting words is a ducking nightmare, the
> cursor rarely ends up where I want it even in "spacebar" mode.

I always turn all of that shit off, for the reasons you list. I want a
keyboard, not a fucking "smart keyboard" that forces me to put quotes around a
word it does not recognize/does not want me to use.

Re: Ducking keyboard

<ujqdvt$2c28d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10577&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10577

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 16:03:24 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 15:03 UTC

On 24.11.23 12:26, Chris wrote:
> Frankly, I'm underwhelmed. The predictive text is still far too sanitised.
> Even words like murder aren't offered up as options. Swearing is unreliable
> and the correction of two words is too aggressive which changes the
> original meaning drastically .

The first thing I turn off when I get a new device and it is plain
censorship and language discrimination. It is not Apple's business how
the general public uses the language. That applies also to the gender
crap they started one or two major OS-versions before.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Ducking keyboard

<ujql6n$2d94c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10580&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10580

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:06:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:dEHaXCQGbODNYDULw2DMLDOdjfo=
 by: Chris - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:06 UTC

Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2023 at 6:26:39 AM EST, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> So I upgraded to ios 17 and one of the things I looking forward to was the
>> improvements to the keyboard and typing. It was highlighted in the launch
>> event.
>>
>> Frankly, I'm underwhelmed. The predictive text is still far too sanitised.
>> Even words like murder aren't offered up as options. Swearing is unreliable
>> and the correction of two words is too aggressive which changes the
>> original meaning drastically . Selecting words is a ducking nightmare, the
>> cursor rarely ends up where I want it even in "spacebar" mode.
>>
> I always turn all of that shit off, for the reasons you list. I want a
> keyboard, not a fucking "smart keyboard" that forces me to put quotes around a
> word it does not recognize/does not want me to use.

What exactly do you turn off? I can't see what options affect my issues
above.

Re: Ducking keyboard

<ujqlg3$2db2k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10581&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10581

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:11:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:d8IJ+K5YAP2A9Rb1avFIVekzCJ4=
 by: Chris - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:11 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 24.11.23 12:26, Chris wrote:
>> Frankly, I'm underwhelmed. The predictive text is still far too sanitised.
>> Even words like murder aren't offered up as options. Swearing is unreliable
>> and the correction of two words is too aggressive which changes the
>> original meaning drastically .
>
> The first thing I turn off when I get a new device and it is plain
> censorship and language discrimination.

What is it that you switch off which helps with those issues?

Re: Ducking keyboard

<WaucnTYTcIrgR_34nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10583&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10583

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: no_email@invalid.invalid (Paul Goodman)
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:16:45 +0000
 by: Paul Goodman - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:16 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On 24.11.23 12:26, Chris wrote:
>>> Frankly, I'm underwhelmed. The predictive text is still far too sanitised.
>>> Even words like murder aren't offered up as options. Swearing is unreliable
>>> and the correction of two words is too aggressive which changes the
>>> original meaning drastically .
>>
>> The first thing I turn off when I get a new device and it is plain
>> censorship and language discrimination.
>
> What is it that you switch off which helps with those issues?

Settings -> General -> Keyboard; Turn off “auto correction” and
“predictive”. That may do what you want.

Paul Goodman

Re: Ducking keyboard

<ujqm8d$2dapn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10584&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10584

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:24:29 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:24 UTC

Am 24.11.23 um 18:11 schrieb Chris:
> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On 24.11.23 12:26, Chris wrote:
>>> Frankly, I'm underwhelmed. The predictive text is still far too sanitised.
>>> Even words like murder aren't offered up as options. Swearing is unreliable
>>> and the correction of two words is too aggressive which changes the
>>> original meaning drastically .
>>
>> The first thing I turn off when I get a new device and it is plain
>> censorship and language discrimination.
>
> What is it that you switch off which helps with those issues?

Auto-Capitalization
Auto-Correction
Predictive

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Ducking keyboard

<ujqmbu$2dapm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10585&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10585

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:26:22 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:26 UTC

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207525

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Ducking keyboard

<te-dnRBfTtYa1Pz4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10587&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10587

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 01:10:31 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 01:10 UTC

On Nov 24, 2023 at 12:06:32 PM EST, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
>> On Nov 24, 2023 at 6:26:39 AM EST, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> So I upgraded to ios 17 and one of the things I looking forward to was the
>>> improvements to the keyboard and typing. It was highlighted in the launch
>>> event.
>>>
>>> Frankly, I'm underwhelmed. The predictive text is still far too sanitised.
>>> Even words like murder aren't offered up as options. Swearing is unreliable
>>> and the correction of two words is too aggressive which changes the
>>> original meaning drastically . Selecting words is a ducking nightmare, the
>>> cursor rarely ends up where I want it even in "spacebar" mode.
>>>
>> I always turn all of that shit off, for the reasons you list. I want a
>> keyboard, not a fucking "smart keyboard" that forces me to put quotes around a
>> word it does not recognize/does not want me to use.
>
> What exactly do you turn off? I can't see what options affect my issues
> above.

As others have said. The only thing I have on is Enable Caps Lock.

Re: Ducking keyboard

<ujtbi8$2smm2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10603&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10603

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 17:40:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tuW5VmFENeWOMmWDftjCV1vWU5I=
 by: Chris - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 17:40 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 24.11.23 um 18:11 schrieb Chris:
>> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> The first thing I turn off when I get a new device and it is plain
>>> censorship and language discrimination.
>>
>> What is it that you switch off which helps with those issues?
>
> Auto-Capitalization
> Auto-Correction
> Predictive

I've turned Predictive off - the others already were off - but doesn't seem
to have made much of a difference.