"Jesus saves...but Gretzky gets the rebound!" -- Daniel Hinojosa (hinojosa@hp-sdd)

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?

SubjectAuthor
* Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?Chris
+* Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?Hank Rogers
|`- Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?Chris
`* Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?Jolly Roger
 `* Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?Alan Browne
  +- Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?Chris
  `- Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?Jolly Roger

1
Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?

<ujqlmh$2dc8d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10582&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10582

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:14:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7tIi+ycaCqIECwKGWePdFxKobNY=
 by: Chris - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:14 UTC

Been spending the day using my ipad with my phone's hotspot. However, more
or less every time the ipad screen goes to sleep it disconnects and the
hotspot disables itself. So about 15 or 20 times today I've had to get my
phone out my pocket, enable the hotspot, go into the wifi setting on the
ipad, wait for it to connect, and then get on with work. A real PITA.

How can I stop the hotspot from disabling itself so quickly?

Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?

<DF68N.65316$cAm7.61046@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10586&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10586

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 13:17:49 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 19:17 UTC

Chris wrote:

> Been spending the day using my ipad with my phone's hotspot. However, more
> or less every time the ipad screen goes to sleep it disconnects and the
> hotspot disables itself. So about 15 or 20 times today I've had to get my
> phone out my pocket, enable the hotspot, go into the wifi setting on the
> ipad, wait for it to connect, and then get on with work. A real PITA.
>
> How can I stop the hotspot from disabling itself so quickly?

Even if nothing goes to sleep, I had the same problems with
hotspot stability. Finally gave up trying to use it. It's a
good idea, but definitely half-baked. It's even more unstable
if two devices are using it at the same time.

I don't know if the problem is with hardware, software, or
maybe the carrier.
Still good for emergency use, even if only for a few minutes.

Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?

<ksd0snF8715U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10588&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10588

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 25 Nov 2023 01:27:51 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 01:27 UTC

On 2023-11-24, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Been spending the day using my ipad with my phone's hotspot. However,
> more or less every time the ipad screen goes to sleep it disconnects
> and the hotspot disables itself. So about 15 or 20 times today I've
> had to get my phone out my pocket, enable the hotspot, go into the
> wifi setting on the ipad, wait for it to connect, and then get on with
> work. A real PITA.
>
> How can I stop the hotspot from disabling itself so quickly?

It's actually designed to function this way. It's meant to be a
temporary solution, not a long-term replacement for a wireless router.

JR

Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?

<eXn8N.16963$cnze.9624@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10597&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10597

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 09:57:13 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 14:57 UTC

On 2023-11-24 20:27, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-11-24, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Been spending the day using my ipad with my phone's hotspot. However,
>> more or less every time the ipad screen goes to sleep it disconnects
>> and the hotspot disables itself. So about 15 or 20 times today I've
>> had to get my phone out my pocket, enable the hotspot, go into the
>> wifi setting on the ipad, wait for it to connect, and then get on with
>> work. A real PITA.
>>
>> How can I stop the hotspot from disabling itself so quickly?

To Chris: I see a post online that suggests setting to Low Data Mode in
Cellular option may result in the hotspot dropping out quicker. Same
site says hotspot is dropped after 90 seconds if not used to conserve
battery life - but I don't believe this is accurate.

> It's actually designed to function this way. It's meant to be a
> temporary solution, not a long-term replacement for a wireless router.

Then it should have a time-out setting. On trips where my SO tethers to
my iPhone for cell-data, it's annoying having to re-connect again.
Also, during power failures (which are thankfully rare here) it's nice
to use the same feature w/o interruption.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?

<ujtbcd$2slma$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10601&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10601

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 17:37:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:x40A/YHj+b6P2h/R86dEcxhhXPE=
 by: Chris - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 17:37 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-11-24 20:27, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-11-24, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Been spending the day using my ipad with my phone's hotspot. However,
>>> more or less every time the ipad screen goes to sleep it disconnects
>>> and the hotspot disables itself. So about 15 or 20 times today I've
>>> had to get my phone out my pocket, enable the hotspot, go into the
>>> wifi setting on the ipad, wait for it to connect, and then get on with
>>> work. A real PITA.
>>>
>>> How can I stop the hotspot from disabling itself so quickly?
>

> To Chris: I see a post online that suggests setting to Low Data Mode in
> Cellular option may result in the hotspot dropping out quicker.

Not set here.

> Same
> site says hotspot is dropped after 90 seconds if not used to conserve
> battery life - but I don't believe this is accurate.

I can understand that being the reason, but would appreciate some control
over timeouts.

>> It's actually designed to function this way. It's meant to be a
>> temporary solution, not a long-term replacement for a wireless router.
>
> Then it should have a time-out setting.

Exactly. Also no-one mentioned a longterm solution. A days use when out of
the house/office is hardly unusual.

> On trips where my SO tethers to
> my iPhone for cell-data, it's annoying having to re-connect again.
> Also, during power failures (which are thankfully rare here) it's nice
> to use the same feature w/o interruption.

Yep. The timeouts are far too aggressive.

Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?

<ujtbce$2slma$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10602&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10602

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 17:37:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wjahSKZvO3SdURG/OlWMql1q1sA=

Hank Rogers <hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>>
>> Been spending the day using my ipad with my phone's hotspot. However, more
>> or less every time the ipad screen goes to sleep it disconnects and the
>> hotspot disables itself. So about 15 or 20 times today I've had to get my
>> phone out my pocket, enable the hotspot, go into the wifi setting on the
>> ipad, wait for it to connect, and then get on with work. A real PITA.
>>
>> How can I stop the hotspot from disabling itself so quickly?
>>

> Even if nothing goes to sleep, I had the same problems with
> hotspot stability. Finally gave up trying to use it. It's a
> good idea, but definitely half-baked. It's even more unstable
> if two devices are using it at the same time.

It feels worse than it used to be. I've done similar in the past and don't
remember it being such a faff.

> I don't know if the problem is with hardware, software, or
> maybe the carrier.
> Still good for emergency use, even if only for a few minutes.

Re: Any way to stop hotspot disconnecting so quickly?

<ksesa1Fo2uqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10604&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10604

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 25 Nov 2023 18:21:53 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 18:21 UTC

On 2023-11-25, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-11-24 20:27, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-11-24, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Been spending the day using my ipad with my phone's hotspot. However,
>>> more or less every time the ipad screen goes to sleep it disconnects
>>> and the hotspot disables itself. So about 15 or 20 times today I've
>>> had to get my phone out my pocket, enable the hotspot, go into the
>>> wifi setting on the ipad, wait for it to connect, and then get on with
>>> work. A real PITA.
>>>
>>> How can I stop the hotspot from disabling itself so quickly?
>
> To Chris: I see a post online that suggests setting to Low Data Mode in
> Cellular option may result in the hotspot dropping out quicker. Same
> site says hotspot is dropped after 90 seconds if not used to conserve
> battery life - but I don't believe this is accurate.
>
>> It's actually designed to function this way. It's meant to be a
>> temporary solution, not a long-term replacement for a wireless router.
>
> Then it should have a time-out setting. On trips where my SO tethers to
> my iPhone for cell-data, it's annoying having to re-connect again.
> Also, during power failures (which are thankfully rare here) it's nice
> to use the same feature w/o interruption.

Agreed.

JR