"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." -- John Wooden

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

SubjectAuthor
* Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?david
+* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Jörg Lorenz
|`* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Jörg Lorenz
| `* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Theo
|  `* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Jörg Lorenz
|   +- Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Carlos E. R.
|   `- Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?micky
+* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Dave Roya
|+- Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Dave Roya
|`* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Carlos E. R.
| +* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Dave Roya
| |`* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Carlos E. R.
| | `* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Oscar Mayer
| |  `- Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Chris
| `- Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Jörg Lorenz
+- Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?sms
+- Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Your Name
`* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?sms
 +* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?david
 |+* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Your Name
 ||`- Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Chris
 |`* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?sms
 | `* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Carlos E. R.
 |  `* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Your Name
 |   `- Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Carlos E. R.
 `* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Frank Slootweg
  `* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?sms
   `* Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Frank Slootweg
    `- Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?Wally J

Pages:12
Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk18du$24e1c$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10640&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10640

From: this@is.invalid (david)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 22:11:27 -0700
 by: david - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 05:11 UTC

Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

I know there are tablets with data SIM cards but I am looking for a
Christmas gift for someone with bad eyes. Either operating system.

Does anyone sell a tablet with a phone SIM card slot?
(Verizon USA)

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk1ksi$3mjcj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10641&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10641

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:44:02 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 08:44 UTC

https://schlepptop.net/tablet-mit-telefonfunktion#welchestablet

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk1lel$3mjcj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10642&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10642

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:53:41 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 08:53 UTC

On 27.11.23 09:44, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 27.11.23 06:11, david wrote:
>> Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
>>
>> I know there are tablets with data SIM cards but I am looking for a
>> Christmas gift for someone with bad eyes. Either operating system.
>>
>> Does anyone sell a tablet with a phone SIM card slot?
>> (Verizon USA)
>
> https://schlepptop.net/tablet-mit-telefonfunktion#welchestablet

BTW: It is quite easy to make phone calls to regular landlines or
mobiles on any tablet by using Skype (or other providers) even without a
SIM-card.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk1mfv$3n0qf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10643&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10643

Followup: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:11:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:11 UTC

On 26 Nov 2023 22:11:27 -0700 david wrote:
>Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
>
>I know there are tablets with data SIM cards but I am looking for a
>Christmas gift for someone with bad eyes. Either operating system.
>
>Does anyone sell a tablet with a phone SIM card slot?
>(Verizon USA)

A tablet with a SIM slot which is aimed at data will usually work with a
'phone SIM' - for data.

What I think you mean is can you make a phone call with it? Which requires
(a) the device to be capable of making/receiving phone calls and (b) the
mobile operator to allow it.

I think the answer to (a) is generally no, but I think people have done
it. And by definition: if you can phone with it, it's a phone! (Or a
'phablet').
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk1p4a$3nded$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10644&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10644

Followup: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:56:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:56 UTC

On 27 Nov 2023 09:11:27 -0000 (UTC) Dave Royal wrote:
>On 26 Nov 2023 22:11:27 -0700 david wrote:
>>Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
>>
>>I know there are tablets with data SIM cards but I am looking for a
>>Christmas gift for someone with bad eyes. Either operating system.
>>
>>Does anyone sell a tablet with a phone SIM card slot?
>>(Verizon USA)
>
>A tablet with a SIM slot which is aimed at data will usually work with a
>'phone SIM' - for data.
>
>What I think you mean is can you make a phone call with it? Which requires
>(a) the device to be capable of making/receiving phone calls and (b) the
>mobile operator to allow it.
>
>I think the answer to (a) is generally no, but I think people have done
>it. And by definition: if you can phone with it, it's a phone! (Or a
>'phablet').

I see the word "phablet" is still sometimes used now most phones got
bigger. For example the Samsung Galaxy Ultra mentioned here is 163.4 mm
(6.43 in) x 78.1 mm (3.07 in). Phones with '+' in the name are usually
bigger - iPhones too.
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S23>

I will probably continue to use iPhones because I can still get smaller
ones, though even the SE is too big IMO. But I use an Android tablet too.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<ksjakgFsg1aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10645&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10645

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 11:50:56 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 10:50 UTC

On 2023-11-27 10:11, Dave Royal wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2023 22:11:27 -0700 david wrote:
>> Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
>>
>> I know there are tablets with data SIM cards but I am looking for a
>> Christmas gift for someone with bad eyes. Either operating system.
>>
>> Does anyone sell a tablet with a phone SIM card slot?
>> (Verizon USA)
>
> A tablet with a SIM slot which is aimed at data will usually work with a
> 'phone SIM' - for data.
>
> What I think you mean is can you make a phone call with it? Which requires
> (a) the device to be capable of making/receiving phone calls and (b) the
> mobile operator to allow it.

The mobile operator has no say on the matter.

I have an Asus tablet that indeed has a SIM slot and can do phone calls
if there is a SIM in it. And I have seen people using tablets to make
standard phone calls — the first time I saw it was a lady whose phone
had been stolen and used the tablet for some time. Yep, she was carrying
the big tablet in her purse, it was a sight.

But my tablet is quite old, not being made currently.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk1u5v$3o6r9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10649&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10649

Followup: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 11:22:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 11:22 UTC

On 27 Nov 2023 11:50:56 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:
>On 2023-11-27 10:11, Dave Royal wrote:
>> On 26 Nov 2023 22:11:27 -0700 david wrote:
>>> Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
>>>
>>> I know there are tablets with data SIM cards but I am looking for a
>>> Christmas gift for someone with bad eyes. Either operating system.
>>>
>>> Does anyone sell a tablet with a phone SIM card slot?
>>> (Verizon USA)
>>
>> A tablet with a SIM slot which is aimed at data will usually work with a
>> 'phone SIM' - for data.
>>
>> What I think you mean is can you make a phone call with it? Which requires
>> (a) the device to be capable of making/receiving phone calls and (b) the
>> mobile operator to allow it.
>
>The mobile operator has no say on the matter.

They can do. I had a 3-mobile UK payg SIM in a phone which I also used for
data - I think it was in a Nokia phone tethered to my Maemo tablet. I got
a 3g Nexus 7 tablet and it wouldn't work - message said it was only for
use in phones. 3-mobile sold a 'data' SIM for these newfangled tablets -
which did not do phone calls. (My wife got one for her first iPad - it
still works.) So the operator could tell what device it was in and
allow/block accordingly.

It was some years ago, and data is more common and cheaper now, but I'm
sure they could still do it - for commercial reasons.

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<Ssx*U-rwz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10651&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10651

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 27 Nov 2023 11:38:32 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 11:38 UTC

In comp.mobile.android Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 27.11.23 09:44, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> > On 27.11.23 06:11, david wrote:
> >> Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
> >>
> >> I know there are tablets with data SIM cards but I am looking for a
> >> Christmas gift for someone with bad eyes. Either operating system.
> >>
> >> Does anyone sell a tablet with a phone SIM card slot?
> >> (Verizon USA)
> >
> > https://schlepptop.net/tablet-mit-telefonfunktion#welchestablet

A lot of Samsung there - I think historically they have been the major
manufacturer who put phone functionality in tablets. They are also one of
the better Android tablet manufacturers. They would be my starting point in
this quest - not just those listed above, but also older models purchased
used.

iPads don't do LTE/5G voice calls, so that side of the fence is out.

> BTW: It is quite easy to make phone calls to regular landlines or
> mobiles on any tablet by using Skype (or other providers) even without a
> SIM-card.

While that is true, it's not quite the same as having regular phone service
- eg can't make emergency calls, might not work so well in areas of low
signal, the app needs to be always connected to receive calls. Also, such
apps may not handle SMS and MMS.

Going for a tablet with regular LTE/5G voice is a much simpler prospect,
IMO.

Theo

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<ksjet6Fsg1aU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10654&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10654

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 13:03:50 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 12:03 UTC

On 2023-11-27 12:22, Dave Royal wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2023 11:50:56 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> A tablet with a SIM slot which is aimed at data will usually work with a
>>> 'phone SIM' - for data.
>>>
>>> What I think you mean is can you make a phone call with it? Which requires
>>> (a) the device to be capable of making/receiving phone calls and (b) the
>>> mobile operator to allow it.
>>
>> The mobile operator has no say on the matter.
>
> They can do. I had a 3-mobile UK payg SIM in a phone which I also used for
> data - I think it was in a Nokia phone tethered to my Maemo tablet. I got
> a 3g Nexus 7 tablet and it wouldn't work - message said it was only for
> use in phones. 3-mobile sold a 'data' SIM for these newfangled tablets -
> which did not do phone calls. (My wife got one for her first iPad - it
> still works.) So the operator could tell what device it was in and
> allow/block accordingly.

That was because the tablet wanted only data. I'm talking of tablets
that do full phone service.

> It was some years ago, and data is more common and cheaper now, but I'm
> sure they could still do it - for commercial reasons.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk2evu$3qs28$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10659&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10659

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 17:09:33 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 16:09 UTC

Am 27.11.23 um 12:38 schrieb Theo:
> While that is true, it's not quite the same as having regular phone service
> - eg can't make emergency calls, might not work so well in areas of low
> signal, the app needs to be always connected to receive calls. Also, such
> apps may not handle SMS and MMS.
>
> Going for a tablet with regular LTE/5G voice is a much simpler prospect,
> IMO.

Good arguments. Depends on priority and readiness to spend money. A new
tablet and a regular service cost every month. If this person with a
reduced vision remains basically at home and has a reasonable wireless
network the solution can be much simpler. Nevertheless I would not
recommend Skype as sole connection to the world for a handicapped person.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk2f7a$3qs28$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10660&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10660

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 17:13:30 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 16:13 UTC

Am 27.11.23 um 11:50 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 2023-11-27 10:11, Dave Royal wrote:
>> On 26 Nov 2023 22:11:27 -0700 david wrote:
>>> Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
>>>
>>> I know there are tablets with data SIM cards but I am looking for a
>>> Christmas gift for someone with bad eyes. Either operating system.
>>>
>>> Does anyone sell a tablet with a phone SIM card slot?
>>> (Verizon USA)
>>
>> A tablet with a SIM slot which is aimed at data will usually work with a
>> 'phone SIM' - for data.
>>
>> What I think you mean is can you make a phone call with it? Which requires
>> (a) the device to be capable of making/receiving phone calls and (b) the
>> mobile operator to allow it.
>
> The mobile operator has no say on the matter.

Sorry that is simply wrong!
The mobile provider determines what the SIM-card-access can and cannnot do.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk2fpv$3r4i9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10661&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10661

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 08:23:27 -0800
 by: sms - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 16:23 UTC

On 11/26/2023 9:11 PM, david wrote:
> Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
>
> I know there are tablets with data SIM cards but I am looking for a
> Christmas gift for someone with bad eyes. Either operating system.
>
> Does anyone sell a tablet with a phone SIM card slot?
> (Verizon USA)

There are some tablets with phone SIM cards but not sure if they would
work with a Verizon SIM since they are certain not to pass the Verizon
IMEI test.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<ksk31gF553gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10665&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10665

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 18:47:28 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 17:47 UTC

On 2023-11-27 17:09, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 27.11.23 um 12:38 schrieb Theo:
>> While that is true, it's not quite the same as having regular phone
>> service
>> - eg can't make emergency calls, might not work so well in areas of low
>> signal, the app needs to be always connected to receive calls.  Also,
>> such
>> apps may not handle SMS and MMS.
>>
>> Going for a tablet with regular LTE/5G voice is a much simpler prospect,
>> IMO.
>
> Good arguments. Depends on priority and readiness to spend money. A new
> tablet and a regular service cost every month. If this person with a
> reduced vision remains basically at home and has a reasonable wireless
> network the solution can be much simpler. Nevertheless I would not
> recommend Skype as sole connection to the world for a handicapped person.

Absolutely correct, relying on skype (or any similar) is a no-no for a
person with needs. It has a to be an actual phone, mobile or fixed;
probably the former, considering the need to visit doctors, or anything
or anyone out out home.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk320e$3u5pn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10667&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10667

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 10:34:06 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 21:34 UTC

On 2023-11-27 05:11:27 +0000, david said:

> Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
>
> I know there are tablets with data SIM cards but I am looking for a
> Christmas gift for someone with bad eyes. Either operating system.
>
> Does anyone sell a tablet with a phone SIM card slot?
> (Verizon USA)

The iPad doesn't come with the "Phone" app, so even if you put a
phone-enabled SIM into it, there's nothing you can use to make /
receive phone calls since it is not designed to do that. There may be
third-party apps to get around it or some hack to transfer across the
Phone app from an iPhone.

Most phones these days have the Accessibility features to help those
with "bad eyes". There are also add-on third-party software which is
designed for to help as well.

There are also companies that make phones specifically for those with
eyesight problems - bigger buttons, larger text, etc.

It's probably better to look into getting one of those options rather
than trying to phone-enable a tablet if it's solely to be used as an
actual phone.

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk3a3q$3vbmh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10668&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10668

From: nobody@oscarmayer.com (Oscar Mayer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 18:52:26 -0500
 by: Oscar Mayer - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 23:52 UTC

On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 13:03:50 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> That was because the tablet wanted only data. I'm talking of tablets
> that do full phone service.

https://mynexttablet.com/best-lte-tablets/

That says some iPads can do 5G & LTE.
Isn't that "5G" & "LTE" for the phone SIM or is that only for a data SIM?

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk3j7k$gfb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10676&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10676

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 18:28:05 -0800
 by: sms - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 02:28 UTC

On 11/26/2023 9:11 PM, david wrote:
> Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
>
> I know there are tablets with data SIM cards but I am looking for a
> Christmas gift for someone with bad eyes. Either operating system.
>
> Does anyone sell a tablet with a phone SIM card slot?
> (Verizon USA)

Unfortunately, Verizon will not activate service on one of the Android
tablets that does have built-in LTE capability and that supports phone
calls. I have one such tablet (Hyundai).

Even if you moved an activated SIM card from a phone into an LTE tablet
with phone support, and it worked, Verizon would eventually realize that
the device's IMEI is not from a device that they support and they would
cut off service. Probably the same situation for AT&T. An AT&T or
Verizon MVNO might be less strict than Verizon itself, especially a
virtual carrier like MobileX, since Verizon might never actually see the
IMEI of the device.

An iPad/iPhone combination might be the best option. If you have a Wi-Fi
iPad, and an iPhone on Verizon, you can make phone calls from the iPad
and it's pretty seamless. You can get an iPhone SE2022 for under $200
then use any Wi-Fi iPad.

If she could tolerate T-Mobile service, they are much less strict about
devices. In my area that would not be an option because of the T-Mobile
coverage issues but in some areas T-Mobile works acceptably well.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not
indoctrination nor elitism. It's just that you don't know as much as
they do about the subject.”—Tin Foil Awards

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk3nr8$27g8v$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10681&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10681

From: this@is.invalid (david)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 20:46:48 -0700
 by: david - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 03:46 UTC

Using <news:uk3j7k$gfb$1@dont-email.me>, sms wrote:

> Unfortunately, Verizon will not activate service on one of the Android
> tablets that does have built-in LTE capability and that supports phone
> calls. I have one such tablet (Hyundai).

She already has a SIM card on an iPhone 14 activated by Verizon.
If I get her a "phone" tablet, can the SIM work without re-activation?

> Even if you moved an activated SIM card from a phone into an LTE tablet
> with phone support, and it worked, Verizon would eventually realize that
> the device's IMEI is not from a device that they support and they would
> cut off service. Probably the same situation for AT&T. An AT&T or
> Verizon MVNO might be less strict than Verizon itself, especially a
> virtual carrier like MobileX, since Verizon might never actually see the
> IMEI of the device.
>
> An iPad/iPhone combination might be the best option. If you have a Wi-Fi
> iPad, and an iPhone on Verizon, you can make phone calls from the iPad
> and it's pretty seamless. You can get an iPhone SE2022 for under $200
> then use any Wi-Fi iPad.

Does the iPad have a "dialer" that uses the iPhone somehow?

> If she could tolerate T-Mobile service, they are much less strict about
> devices. In my area that would not be an option because of the T-Mobile
> coverage issues but in some areas T-Mobile works acceptably well.

I can't ask her to switch as she is very happy with Verizon cell service.

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk3utg$5p3f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10682&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10682

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:47:29 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 05:47 UTC

On 2023-11-28 03:46:48 +0000, david said:

> Using <news:uk3j7k$gfb$1@dont-email.me>, sms wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, Verizon will not activate service on one of the Android
>> tablets that does have built-in LTE capability and that supports phone
>> calls. I have one such tablet (Hyundai).
>
> She already has a SIM card on an iPhone 14 activated by Verizon.
> If I get her a "phone" tablet, can the SIM work without re-activation?

A SIM card can go into pretty much anything, but it's up to the SIM
type, the telecom company, and the device manufacturer / operating
system maker as to what can be done with it.

If the Sim comes from a phone, putting it into an iPad will not make
the iPad work as a phone. To make phone calls from an iPad, you need to
pair it with an iPhone (with it's own SIM) on the same wi-fi network -
even then, some telecoms comanies don't allow that either (similar to
how they don't allow hotspotting for data).

>> Even if you moved an activated SIM card from a phone into an LTE tablet
>> with phone support, and it worked, Verizon would eventually realize
>> that the device's IMEI is not from a device that they support and they
>> would cut off service. Probably the same situation for AT&T. An AT&T or
>> Verizon MVNO might be less strict than Verizon itself, especially a
>> virtual carrier like MobileX, since Verizon might never actually see
>> the IMEI of the device.
>>
>> An iPad/iPhone combination might be the best option. If you have a
>> Wi-Fi iPad, and an iPhone on Verizon, you can make phone calls from the
>> iPad and it's pretty seamless. You can get an iPhone SE2022 for under
>> $200 then use any Wi-Fi iPad.
>
> Does the iPad have a "dialer" that uses the iPhone somehow?

Once paired with an iPhone on the same wi-fi network, the iPhone does
all the calling work and the iPad is simply a bigger-screened remote
terminal for it. There is no dialer app on the iPad, you just tap on a
phone number in your Contacts address book or elsewhere. I don't know
how easy it is to use once set-up though.

Make and receive phone calls on iPad

<https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/make-and-receive-phone-calls-ipadf97892b2/ipados>

There are various third-party "dialer" apps on the App Store, but I've
never even looked at them, so can't say if they're any good or work
like the iPhone's dialer. (Some may well be proprietary systems that
require a paid account to make phone calls via their own system.)

>> If she could tolerate T-Mobile service, they are much less strict about
>> devices. In my area that would not be an option because of the T-Mobile
>> coverage issues but in some areas T-Mobile works acceptably well.
>
> I can't ask her to switch as she is very happy with Verizon cell service.

Since she already has an iPhone, if you haven't already done it, you're
probably better to simply turn on the Accessiblity options to make the
text size bigger and/or change the colours used.

Set up vision-related accessibility features on iPhone

<https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/overview-iph732dc028d/17.0/ios/17.0>

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk472s$6qk4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10684&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10684

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 08:06:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:JZLqDSsoufH1fS2odUHqrp7pQmw=
 by: Chris - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 08:06 UTC

Oscar Mayer <nobody@oscarmayer.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 13:03:50 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> That was because the tablet wanted only data. I'm talking of tablets
>> that do full phone service.
>
> https://mynexttablet.com/best-lte-tablets/
>
> That says some iPads can do 5G & LTE.
> Isn't that "5G" & "LTE" for the phone SIM or is that only for a data SIM?

ipads don't have a phone app so can't make phone calls. The SIM can only be
used for data.

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk47e9$6scs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10685&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10685

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 08:12:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jblTzb7cuejpLc7Xg0LaTVtUBUM=
 by: Chris - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 08:12 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2023-11-28 03:46:48 +0000, david said:
>
>> Using <news:uk3j7k$gfb$1@dont-email.me>, sms wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, Verizon will not activate service on one of the Android
>>> tablets that does have built-in LTE capability and that supports phone
>>> calls. I have one such tablet (Hyundai).
>>
>> She already has a SIM card on an iPhone 14 activated by Verizon.
>> If I get her a "phone" tablet, can the SIM work without re-activation?
>
> A SIM card can go into pretty much anything, but it's up to the SIM
> type, the telecom company, and the device manufacturer / operating
> system maker as to what can be done with it.
>
> If the Sim comes from a phone, putting it into an iPad will not make
> the iPad work as a phone. To make phone calls from an iPad, you need to
> pair it with an iPhone (with it's own SIM) on the same wi-fi network -
> even then, some telecoms comanies don't allow that either (similar to
> how they don't allow hotspotting for data).
>

>>> Even if you moved an activated SIM card from a phone into an LTE tablet
>>> with phone support, and it worked, Verizon would eventually realize
>>> that the device's IMEI is not from a device that they support and they
>>> would cut off service. Probably the same situation for AT&T. An AT&T or
>>> Verizon MVNO might be less strict than Verizon itself, especially a
>>> virtual carrier like MobileX, since Verizon might never actually see
>>> the IMEI of the device.
>>>
>>> An iPad/iPhone combination might be the best option. If you have a
>>> Wi-Fi iPad, and an iPhone on Verizon, you can make phone calls from the
>>> iPad and it's pretty seamless. You can get an iPhone SE2022 for under
>>> $200 then use any Wi-Fi iPad.
>>
>> Does the iPad have a "dialer" that uses the iPhone somehow?
>
> Once paired with an iPhone on the same wi-fi network, the iPhone does
> all the calling work and the iPad is simply a bigger-screened remote
> terminal for it. There is no dialer app on the iPad, you just tap on a
> phone number in your Contacts address book or elsewhere. I don't know
> how easy it is to use once set-up though.
>
> Make and receive phone calls on iPad
>
> <https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/make-and-receive-phone-calls-ipadf97892b2/ipados>
>

> There are various third-party "dialer" apps on the App Store, but I've
> never even looked at them, so can't say if they're any good or work
> like the iPhone's dialer. (Some may well be proprietary systems that
> require a paid account to make phone calls via their own system.)

The main issue is that they won't be always on in the background and won't
be able to always *receive* calls.

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk55i6.4us.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10689&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10689

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 28 Nov 2023 15:47:15 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:47 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 11/26/2023 9:11 PM, david wrote:
> > Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?
> >
> > I know there are tablets with data SIM cards but I am looking for a
> > Christmas gift for someone with bad eyes. Either operating system.
> >
> > Does anyone sell a tablet with a phone SIM card slot?
> > (Verizon USA)
>
> Unfortunately, Verizon will not activate service on one of the Android
> tablets that does have built-in LTE capability and that supports phone
> calls. I have one such tablet (Hyundai).
>
> Even if you moved an activated SIM card from a phone into an LTE tablet
> with phone support, and it worked, Verizon would eventually realize that
> the device's IMEI is not from a device that they support and they would
> cut off service. Probably the same situation for AT&T. An AT&T or
> Verizon MVNO might be less strict than Verizon itself, especially a
> virtual carrier like MobileX, since Verizon might never actually see the
> IMEI of the device.
>
> An iPad/iPhone combination might be the best option. If you have a Wi-Fi
> iPad, and an iPhone on Verizon, you can make phone calls from the iPad
> and it's pretty seamless. You can get an iPhone SE2022 for under $200
> then use any Wi-Fi iPad.
>
> If she could tolerate T-Mobile service, they are much less strict about
> devices. In my area that would not be an option because of the T-Mobile
> coverage issues but in some areas T-Mobile works acceptably well.

You mean I can use my TV provider for my current Philips TV, but can't
buy/use a new Samsung because my TV provider 'doesn't support that
device'?

Check. Makes perfect sense.

[Car/petrol analogy left as an excercise for the reader.]

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk56la$bqq4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10693&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10693

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 09:05:45 -0800
 by: sms - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 17:05 UTC

On 11/27/2023 7:46 PM, david wrote:
> Using <news:uk3j7k$gfb$1@dont-email.me>, sms wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, Verizon will not activate service on one of the Android
>> tablets that does have built-in LTE capability and that supports phone
>> calls. I have one such tablet (Hyundai).
>
> She already has a SIM card on an iPhone 14 activated by Verizon.
> If I get her a "phone" tablet, can the SIM work without re-activation?

It is not guaranteed. While it would likely work initially, when Verizon
eventually sees that their SIM card is active on a device with an IMEI
that is not on their approved list, they would stop service. They do
check this because they don't want customers putting a SIM card into a
hotspot and using unlimited data on the hotspot. Some hotspot users will
change the IMEI of their hotspot to that of a "donor phone" to get
around this but I doubt that this is possible to do on a tablet.

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk5erm$d6pb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10700&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10700

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:25:41 -0800
 by: sms - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:25 UTC

On 11/28/2023 7:47 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

<snip>

> You mean I can use my TV provider for my current Philips TV, but can't
> buy/use a new Samsung because my TV provider 'doesn't support that
> device'?

This is a flawed analogy. As most analogies are.

The carriers in the U.S. care very much about which devices are active
on their networks.

They especially don't want users putting their phone SIM cards into
hotspots and then using their unlimited data plan to replace broadband
internet. In areas where they have deployed 5G mmWave they are happy to
sell you "wireless broadband" service because they have the capacity for
that kind of usage. Some hotspot users bypass these restrictions by
changing the IMEI of their hotspot to the IMEI of a "donor phone."

They also don't want devices on their network that don't support a
sufficient number of the LTE bands that they use. This is both for
capacity reasons and because subscribers would complain about data
speeds if the device only supported legacy LTE bands.

They probably wouldn't care about someone using a tablet as a phone, but
there aren't enough such customers, or such tablets, that they would
bother to add them to their whitelist.

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<ksmuj6Fth6dU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10702&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10702

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:49:58 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:49 UTC

On 2023-11-28 18:05, sms wrote:
> On 11/27/2023 7:46 PM, david wrote:
>> Using <news:uk3j7k$gfb$1@dont-email.me>, sms wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, Verizon will not activate service on one of the
>>> Android tablets that does have built-in LTE capability and that
>>> supports phone calls. I have one such tablet (Hyundai).
>>
>> She already has a SIM card on an iPhone 14 activated by Verizon.
>> If I get her a "phone" tablet, can the SIM work without re-activation?
>
> It is not guaranteed. While it would likely work initially, when Verizon
> eventually sees that their SIM card is active on a device with an IMEI
> that is not on their approved list, they would stop service. They do
> check this because they don't want customers putting a SIM card into a
> hotspot and using unlimited data on the hotspot. Some hotspot users will
> change the IMEI of their hotspot to that of a "donor phone" to get
> around this but I doubt that this is possible to do on a tablet.

Gosh.

Some providers here even sell themselves routers with SIMs, on
batteries, intended for going on vacation. I have one such SIM, I pay 9€
a month (and not all months). And the router I bought separately, from a
computer seller, because I did not consider the ISP router good enough.
Pity it is 4G only.

They don't care at all. I think the SIM has now 50 gigs/month.

Funny info: that router even does SMS. I did not have to use a phone for
activation, ever.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Is there a tablet with a phone SIM card?

<uk5npa$el1a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10707&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10707

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:58:02 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:58 UTC

On 2023-11-28 19:49:58 +0000, Carlos E. R. said:
> On 2023-11-28 18:05, sms wrote:

>>> She already has a SIM card on an iPhone 14 activated by Verizon.
>>> If I get her a "phone" tablet, can the SIM work without re-activation?
>>
>> It is not guaranteed. While it would likely work initially, when
>> Verizon eventually sees that their SIM card is active on a device with
>> an IMEI that is not on their approved list, they would stop service.
>> They do check this because they don't want customers putting a SIM card
>> into a hotspot and using unlimited data on the hotspot. Some hotspot
>> users will change the IMEI of their hotspot to that of a "donor phone"
>> to get around this but I doubt that this is possible to do on a tablet.
>
> Gosh.
>
> Some providers here even sell themselves routers with SIMs, on
> batteries, intended for going on vacation. I have one such SIM, I pay
> 9€ a month (and not all months). And the router I bought separately,
> from a computer seller, because I did not consider the ISP router good
> enough. Pity it is 4G only.
>
> They don't care at all. I think the SIM has now 50 gigs/month.
>
> Funny info: that router even does SMS. I did not have to use a phone
> for activation, ever.

Here in New Zealand, the internet providers that have a 4G / 5G home
plans send SMS messages to their modems for things like acknowledgement
of the monthly invoice being paid ... but the stupid thing is that you
have to log in to the modem and go to the modem's SMS page to read
them, there's no notification that an SMS has arrived (neither on the
devices nor a light on the modem), and so almost nobody even knows the
SMS function is even there. It is limited though to only receiveing SMS
from the provider. It usually can't be used to send messages nor
receive messages from other senders.

I've never tried putting the modem's SIM into a phone, but, although it
of course has it's own phone number, it is almost certainly a data only
SIM.