Besides, I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you? -- Patrick Volkerding

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

SubjectAuthor
* Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenWally J
`* Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenbadgolferman
 +* Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenWally J
 |`* Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenbadgolferman
 | `- Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenWally J
 `* Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenYour Name
  `* Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenbadgolferman
   +* Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenAlan
   |`* Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenbadgolferman
   | `- Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenWally J
   `* Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenWally J
    +- Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenAlan
    `* Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenHank Rogers
     `- Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screenbadgolferman

1
Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<uk770s$3go77$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10720&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10720

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 07:24:12 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:24 UTC

My mom has an iPhone she upgraded this week to iOS 17 and it constantly
keeps bothering her to add a passcode (which she doesn't want to do).

The argument she taught me (years ago) was she doesn't have a passcode when
she turns on a light, watches the TV, opens a jar of peanut butter, or
whatever, so why does she need a passcode when she looks at her phone.

Anyway, she wants this new iOS 17 message to go away, but I'm in a
different state than she is (heh heh heh) both figuratively and literally,
in that I updated my iPad to see what it was doing but I can only go as
high as iOS 16.7.2 (which, interestingly enough, also nags me too).

I was able to get rid of the request for a passcode but she can't get rid
of it. Mine still says with a red (1) "Update Apple ID Settings", which if
I tap it, it says "Some account services require you to sign in again", to
which I flip the bird to Apple for constantly forcing mothership tracking.

But I can live with Apple constantly nagging (forever) for me to repeatedly
log into Apple's mothership privacy-destroying tracking servers - but she
is saying it's asking her for the passcode = and that bothers her a lot.

In summary, how does she get rid of the iOS 17 requirement for a passcode?

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<xn0o9wld6ikvbmi000@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10722&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10722

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:41:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:41 UTC

Wally J wrote:

>My mom has an iPhone she upgraded this week to iOS 17 and it
>constantly keeps bothering her to add a passcode (which she doesn't
>want to do).
>
>The argument she taught me (years ago) was she doesn't have a
>passcode when she turns on a light, watches the TV, opens a jar of
>peanut butter, or whatever, so why does she need a passcode when she
>looks at her phone.
>
>Anyway, she wants this new iOS 17 message to go away, but I'm in a
>different state than she is (heh heh heh) both figuratively and
>literally, in that I updated my iPad to see what it was doing but I
>can only go as high as iOS 16.7.2 (which, interestingly enough, also
>nags me too).
>
>I was able to get rid of the request for a passcode but she can't get
>rid of it. Mine still says with a red (1) "Update Apple ID Settings",
>which if I tap it, it says "Some account services require you to sign
>in again", to which I flip the bird to Apple for constantly forcing
>mothership tracking.
>
>But I can live with Apple constantly nagging (forever) for me to
>repeatedly log into Apple's mothership privacy-destroying tracking
>servers - but she is saying it's asking her for the passcode = and
>that bothers her a lot.
>
>In summary, how does she get rid of the iOS 17 requirement for a
>passcode?

Tell her to enable Face ID and she won't need to enter a passcode
except for occassional times like system updates. Alternatev she could
go to Settings / Face ID & Passcoe and turn off the Passcode. Maybe
that will work and maybe it won't.

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<uk7em3$3h4uc$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10723&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10723

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:34:59 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:34 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote

>>In summary, how does she get rid of the iOS 17 requirement for a
>>passcode?
>
> Tell her to enable Face ID and she won't need to enter a passcode
> except for occassional times like system updates. Alternatev she could
> go to Settings / Face ID & Passcoe and turn off the Passcode. Maybe
> that will work and maybe it won't.

Hi badgolferman,

Thanks for trying to help as it's always dangerous to try to help someone.
She doesn't want _any_ verification (and I can't blame her either).
So FaceID (which is merely a marketing gimmick) isn't what she wants.

BTW, have _you_ seen this requirement by Apple to create the passcode?
Here's a screenshot of my iPad asking for it when I updated to 16.7.2.
<https://i.postimg.cc/9fPjQpr3/nag01.jpg> 3 iOS nag items
<https://i.postimg.cc/wxwgN0Fg/nag02.jpg> 2 iOS nag items
<https://i.postimg.cc/3NVqB4dC/nag03.jpg> 1 iOS nag item (permanent)

But notice I was able to get past the idiotic requirement for a passcode.
But I'm not in iOS 17 so that's why I need to ask the group for help.

As an aside, notice there are 3 privacy-stealing Apple requests:
1. Set up 2FA (which you can _never_ get rid of once you set it up)
2. Set up a passcode (which means Apple thinks you live in a slum)
3. Log into Apple servers (which is a request you can't get rid of)

Notice Apple forces periodic login into Apple servers, and, since I tested
it, after about two years of NOT logging into Apple servers, Apple will
unilaterally brick your iPad (ask me how I know this) without your consent.

Anyway, with that rant over with, the main question here is what does she
have to do on iOS 17 (which I don't have!) to get rid of Apple's passcode
request (she doesn't want any biometrics or PINs as she doesn't need 'em).
--
I learn about Apple, not from what Apple says, but from what Apple does.

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<xn0o9wot1ipk8l0000@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10726&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10726

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:52:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:52 UTC

Wally J wrote:

>>>In summary, how does she get rid of the iOS 17 requirement for a
>>>passcode?
>>
>> Tell her to enable Face ID and she won't need to enter a passcode
>> except for occassional times like system updates. Alternatev she
>>could go to Settings / Face ID & Passcoe and turn off the
>>Passcode. Maybe that will work and maybe it won't.
>
>Hi badgolferman,
>
>Thanks for trying to help as it's always dangerous to try to help
>someone. She doesn't want any verification (and I can't blame her
>either). So FaceID (which is merely a marketing gimmick) isn't what
>she wants.

https://ibb.co/cLNGB4J

Like I said, it may work and it may not.

--
"Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment." ~
Ira Gassen

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<uk7nrq$3hks1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10728&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10728

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:11:39 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:11 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote

> https://ibb.co/cLNGB4J
>
> Like I said, it may work and it may not.

Oh. Perfect. That image helped a lot. Thanks for being persistent.
I called her up with that and sent it to her & that solved the problem.

In summary, on my iPad (updated to iOS 16.7.2), it's this...
Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > Turn Passcode On (because it's off).
On her iPhone (newly upgraded to iOS 17), it was this...
Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Turn Passcode Off

Turning that off solved the 2nd of 3 annoyances from Apple's upgrade.
Thanks for being a purposefully helpful human being.

Much appreciated.
Now she only has the 1 permanent nag item to re-identify herself to Apple.
--
Apple says they don't track you, but all the facts shows that they do.

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<uk8647$vnfr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10732&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10732

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:15:03 +1300
 by: Your Name - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 20:15 UTC

Wally J wrote:

> My mom has an iPhone she upgraded this week to iOS 17 and it
> constantly keeps bothering her to add a passcode (which she doesn't
> want to do).
>
> The argument she taught me (years ago) was she doesn't have a
> passcode when she turns on a light, watches the TV, opens a jar of
> peanut butter, or whatever, so why does she need a passcode when she
> looks at her phone.

Since when does a light, TV, or jar of peanut butter store your
personal infomation that could be used someone else if the phone is
stolen or is lost?? If the phone is set-up to connect to your home
network, then it could also be used to gain access to other things on
that network.

Your "Mom" sounds just much of a dumbass as you are ... which is no
surprise since "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". :-\

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<uk8c8p$10kqf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10734&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10734

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:59:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:G7+10KNz+l40Lq+mXoGCZp2phFI=
 by: badgolferman - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:59 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> Wally J wrote:
>>
>> My mom has an iPhone she upgraded this week to iOS 17 and it
>> constantly keeps bothering her to add a passcode (which she doesn't
>> want to do).
>>
>> The argument she taught me (years ago) was she doesn't have a
>> passcode when she turns on a light, watches the TV, opens a jar of
>> peanut butter, or whatever, so why does she need a passcode when she
>> looks at her phone.
>
> Since when does a light, TV, or jar of peanut butter store your
> personal infomation that could be used someone else if the phone is
> stolen or is lost?? If the phone is set-up to connect to your home
> network, then it could also be used to gain access to other things on
> that network.
>
> Your "Mom" sounds just much of a dumbass as you are ... which is no
> surprise since "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". :-\

Wow! Insulting people’s family is stepping over a line. Hopefully you will
reconsider and apologize for your misstep.

The mere fact that Apple provides an option to disable the passcode shows
even they recognize not everyone wants/needs it.

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<uk8d6b$10opv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10735&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10735

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:15:39 -0800
 by: Alan - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:15 UTC

On 2023-11-29 13:59, badgolferman wrote:
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>> Wally J wrote:
>>>
>>> My mom has an iPhone she upgraded this week to iOS 17 and it
>>> constantly keeps bothering her to add a passcode (which she doesn't
>>> want to do).
>>>
>>> The argument she taught me (years ago) was she doesn't have a
>>> passcode when she turns on a light, watches the TV, opens a jar of
>>> peanut butter, or whatever, so why does she need a passcode when she
>>> looks at her phone.
>>
>> Since when does a light, TV, or jar of peanut butter store your
>> personal infomation that could be used someone else if the phone is
>> stolen or is lost?? If the phone is set-up to connect to your home
>> network, then it could also be used to gain access to other things on
>> that network.
>>
>> Your "Mom" sounds just much of a dumbass as you are ... which is no
>> surprise since "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". :-\
>>

> Wow! Insulting people’s family is stepping over a line. Hopefully you will
> reconsider and apologize for your misstep.

You assume that the "mom" in this example actually exists.

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<uk8nug$3nta4$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10736&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10736

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:19:12 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 01:19 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote

> The mere fact that Apple provides an option to disable the passcode shows
> even they recognize not everyone wants/needs it.

Thanks for helping me out as my mom is not technical so the image you sent
was perfect in helping me solve the problem for her phone on iOS 17.

Your helpful image showed Apple allows you to bypass the passcode request.
<https://ibb.co/cLNGB4J>

On my iPad (admittedly on iOS 16 and not 17), I was able to skip the
request to set up a passcode during the initial post-OS-update settings.

Then I was able to skip the request for 2FV (which, as I recall, once you
accept, you can _never_ get rid of it). Apple was sued for this practice.

The only thing you can't ever get rid of is the requirement that you re-log
into the Apple servers (which most people don't realize they're doing).

Note: I'm not talking logging in the first time; I'm saying you have to
constantly and repeatedly log in again, and again, and again, even though
you're always logged in anyway (if you don't believe me, try it yourself).

In summary, thanks for your help as I didn't see what she saw because I
skipped the passcode request at the beginning so my iPad didn't show red.
--
There are two kinds of people on Usenet... one type is purposefully
helpful. The other is not. Those people are here only for their amusement.

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<uk8ocp$12aur$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10737&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10737

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:26:49 -0800
 by: Alan - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 01:26 UTC

On 2023-11-29 17:19, Wally J wrote:
> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> The mere fact that Apple provides an option to disable the passcode shows
>> even they recognize not everyone wants/needs it.
>
> Thanks for helping me out as my mom is not technical so the image you sent
> was perfect in helping me solve the problem for her phone on iOS 17.
>
> Your helpful image showed Apple allows you to bypass the passcode request.
> <https://ibb.co/cLNGB4J>
>
> On my iPad (admittedly on iOS 16 and not 17), I was able to skip the
> request to set up a passcode during the initial post-OS-update settings.
>
> Then I was able to skip the request for 2FV (which, as I recall, once you
> accept, you can _never_ get rid of it). Apple was sued for this practice.

Cite, please.

> The only thing you can't ever get rid of is the requirement that you re-log
> into the Apple servers (which most people don't realize they're doing).

Which most competent people don't have to do.

> Note: I'm not talking logging in the first time; I'm saying you have to
> constantly and repeatedly log in again, and again, and again, even though
> you're always logged in anyway (if you don't believe me, try it yourself).

I've used an iPhone for more than a decade and it doesn't happen the way
you talk about.

> In summary, thanks for your help as I didn't see what she saw because I
> skipped the passcode request at the beginning so my iPad didn't show red.

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<8DR9N.162533$svP4.131332@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10738&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10738

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:32:45 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 01:32 UTC

Wally J wrote:
> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> The mere fact that Apple provides an option to disable the passcode shows
>> even they recognize not everyone wants/needs it.
>
> Thanks for helping me out as my mom is not technical so the image you sent
> was perfect in helping me solve the problem for her phone on iOS 17.

A good son would buy mom a new android.

She shouldn't have to piss around with apple stuff.

Think about it when your check comes.

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<uk90ep$176d4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10739&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10739

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 03:44:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:HES6A7CeOyfFxE/Ix2tIPn5JYWM=
 by: badgolferman - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 03:44 UTC

Hank Rogers <hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Wally J wrote:
>> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> The mere fact that Apple provides an option to disable the passcode shows
>>> even they recognize not everyone wants/needs it.
>>
>> Thanks for helping me out as my mom is not technical so the image you sent
>> was perfect in helping me solve the problem for her phone on iOS 17.
>>

> A good son would buy mom a new android.
>
> She shouldn't have to piss around with apple stuff.
>
> Think about it when your check comes.

My mother’s 84-year-old husband wanted a Galaxy flip phone last year. Both
of us tried to talk him out of switching from his iPhone 6 to the new
Android system. He still doesn’t know how to make a call, retrieve
voicemails, send texts, etc. He can only receive messages and answer them
as they come in. He gets so frustrated with the phone that he slams it on
the table constantly. At least it’s built for abuse, so I can say that much
about it!

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<uk9o9l$1asjd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10741&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10741

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:31:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:4PKkxaA86UptrXPM0aqyDganKtE=
 by: badgolferman - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:31 UTC

Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2023-11-29 13:59, badgolferman wrote:
>> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Your "Mom" sounds just much of a dumbass as you are ... which is no
>>> surprise since "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". :-\
>>>

>> Wow! Insulting people’s family is stepping over a line. Hopefully you will
>> reconsider and apologize for your misstep.
>
> You assume that the "mom" in this example actually exists.

Doesn’t matter. There was no need to call someone’s “mother” a dumb ass.
You guys are so full of hate for Arlen that you’re willing to stoop to
teenage tactics to get back at him. There are better ways to insult him
directly if you feel the need to play that game. How would you react if
your mother was called a dumb ass?

Re: Need help on iOS 17 removing the new passcode nag screen

<ukafta$3r0o7$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10743&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#10743

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:14:18 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:14 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote

>> You assume that the "mom" in this example actually exists.
>>

> Doesn't matter. There was no need to call someone's mother a dumb ass.
> You guys are so full of hate for Arlen that you're willing to stoop to
> teenage tactics to get back at him.

Hi badgolferman,

As you saw in this thread, those who assume I'm lying about whom I was
trying to help think everyone else does that which they themselves do.

Importantly, as you said, it doesn't matter whom I was trying to help.
What matters is the correct answer to the question, which I appreciated.
<https://ibb.co/cLNGB4J>

Given you get a request to add a passcode when updating or upgrading...
Q: How do you turn Apple's passcode request off?
A: Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > Turn Passcode Off (iPad, iOS 16.7.2)
Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Turn Passcode Off (iPhone iOS 17.1.1)

And you are correct that Apple provides that option precisely because there
are millions of iOS owners who want to turn passcodes & touch/face-ID off.

Thanks for your kind courteous purposefully helpful advice.