From: eli@usa.ve (Oscar)
Newsgroups: comp.internet.services.google,talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,sac.politics
Subject: Went woke going broke. Google Employees Scramble for Answers After Layoffs Hit Long-Tenured and Recently Promoted Employees
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 11:13:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Oscar - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 11:13 UTC

As Google announced a companywide layoff, employees said they unexpectedly
found their access cut off.
Employees have rallied to find out who's been laid off while demanding
answers from leadership.
Company leadership must confront the outspoken employee base that remains.
Google employees are scrambling for answers from leadership and from
colleagues as the company undergoes a massive layoff.

On Friday, Alphabet-owned Google announced it was cutting 12,000
employees, roughly 6% of the full-time workforce. While employees had been
bracing for a potential layoff, they are questioning leadership about the
criteria for layoffs that surprised some employees, who woke up to find
their access to company properties cut off. Some of the laid-off employees
had been long-tenured or recently promoted.

Shortly after CEO Sundar Pichai�s initial email to employees Friday
morning, Google's search boss, Prabhakar Raghavan, sent an email to
employees saying he also feels "the responsibility to reach out" and
asking them to save questions for a town hall scheduled for Monday. There
will be "bumps in the road" as the organization moves forward with the
layoffs, Raghavan said.

The company provided an FAQ for the layoffs, which CNBC has seen, but
employees have complained that it doesn�t give much detail on many
answers. Employees have flooded Dory, the company's question-asking
platform, and set up virtual communities to figure out who's been laid off
and why. Directors have been telling employees to hold questions for the
town hall.

Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The scramble highlights the challenges Google could face in maintaining a
supportive and productive company culture for its restive workforce of
more than 160,000 full-time employees. Further confrontations are
possible, as the company said it plans to lay off international employees
but has yet to determine which ones.

So far in the U.S., employees have been laid off across business units
including Chrome, Cloud, and its experimental Area 120 unit. Some
employees working on the company's artificial intelligence programs were
also laid off, according to Bloomberg.

A list of top-rated inquiries from employees, viewed by CNBC, contained
pointed questions for executives.

�How were the layoffs decided? Some high performers were let go from our
teams,� one top-rated question read. �This negatively impacts the
remaining Googlers who see someone with high recognition, positive
reviews, promo but still getting laid off.�

�What metrics were used to determine who was laid off?� another top-rated
question read. �Was the decision based on their performance, scope of
work, or both, or something else?�

Another asked: �How much runway are we hoping to gain with the layoffs?�
and �Would you explain clearly what the layoff allows Google to do that
Google could not have done without layoffs?"

Another highly rated one questioned a statement from Pichai�s email that
said, �I take full responsibility for the decisions that led us here.�

�What does taking full responsibility entail?� an employee asked on Dory.
�Responsibility without consequence seems like an empty platitude. Is
leadership forgoing bonuses and pay raises this year? Will anyone be
stepping down?"

Some employees came together on their own, organizing ad hoc groups to try
to get answers. Employees created a Google doc spreadsheet as a way to
keep track of people who were laid off and which part of the business they
worked in.

More than 5,000 laid-off employees started a Discord channel called Google
post-layoffs, ranging in topics from venting to labor organizing and
immigration issues. Some employees organized virtual Google meetings.
Others tried to organize physical meet-ups.

Some turned to the company's internal meme generator as a means to connect
with each other, for answers and for comfort.

One meme showed Mila Kunis from the film "Friends with Benefits." Kunis
spoke to the Google logo, saying the line: �The sad thing is, I actually
thought you were different.� Another meme showed former President Bill
Clinton gesturing the word "zero� with the title �Leadership paycut.�

�Alphabet leadership claims �full responsibility� for this decision, but
that is little comfort to the 12,000 workers who are now without jobs,�
said Parul Koul, executive chair of Alphabet Workers Union-CWA in a
statement Friday. �This is egregious and unacceptable behavior by a
company that made $17 billion dollars in profit last quarter alone.�

<https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/business/money-report/google-employees-
scramble-for-answers-after-layoffs-hit-long-tenured-and-recently-promoted-
employees/3135582/>

Re: Went woke going broke. Google Employees Scramble for Answers After Layoffs Hit Long-Tenured and Recently Promoted Employees

<GC-dnWVOV5WfmE3-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=108&group=comp.internet.services.google#108

Newsgroups: comp.internet.services.google,alt.politics.usa,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,sac.politics
From: 26C.Z968@noaada.net (26C.Z968)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 11:19:09 -0500
 by: 26C.Z968 - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:19 UTC

On 1/24/23 6:13 AM, Oscar wrote:
> As Google announced a companywide layoff, employees said they unexpectedly
> found their access cut off.
> Employees have rallied to find out who's been laid off while demanding
> answers from leadership.
> Company leadership must confront the outspoken employee base that remains.
> Google employees are scrambling for answers from leadership and from
> colleagues as the company undergoes a massive layoff.
>
> On Friday, Alphabet-owned Google announced it was cutting 12,000
> employees, roughly 6% of the full-time workforce.

We WISH it was because Goog had gone so 'Woke' ... but
in the end it's just plain Jane capitalism - shifts
in demand for various services. Slower economy means
people don't blow as much money on esoteric 'stuff'.
Goog's super duper purple glitter service options
all just lost out to expensive eggs.

Re: Went woke going broke. Google Employees Scramble for Answers After Layoffs Hit Long-Tenured and Recently Promoted Employees

<bv71thdem4do5r8u9hpad1ag2kchrkj5cu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=109&group=comp.internet.services.google#109

From: governor.swill@gmail.com (Governor Swill)
Newsgroups: comp.internet.services.google,alt.politics.usa,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,sac.politics
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 22:26:03 -0500
 by: Governor Swill - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 03:26 UTC

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 11:19:09 -0500, "26C.Z968" <26C.Z968@noaada.net>
wrote:

>On 1/24/23 6:13 AM, Oscar wrote:
>> As Google announced a companywide layoff, employees said they unexpectedly
>> found their access cut off.
>> Employees have rallied to find out who's been laid off while demanding
>> answers from leadership.
>> Company leadership must confront the outspoken employee base that remains.
>> Google employees are scrambling for answers from leadership and from
>> colleagues as the company undergoes a massive layoff.
>>
>> On Friday, Alphabet-owned Google announced it was cutting 12,000
>> employees, roughly 6% of the full-time workforce.
>

> We WISH it was because Goog had gone so 'Woke' ... but
> in the end it's just plain Jane capitalism -

Of course it is. It's business as usual and I fail to see the
problem. Tech "churn", aka "employee turnover", is notoriously high
due to the speed of change of their products and society's use of
them. Tech churn rivals hospitality churn.

> shifts in demand for various services.

Which changes tend to happen quickly.

> Slower economy means
> people don't blow as much money on esoteric 'stuff'.
> Goog's super duper purple glitter service options
> all just lost out to expensive eggs.

What slow economy?
Hiring is up.
Corporate profits are up.
Real wages are up.
Inflation is dropping.
Gasoline is dropping.
The market economy is functioning.
Even non essential industries like travel and hospitality are doing
well.

What's your definition of a "slow economy"?

Swill
--
The US budget deficit is bigger than the entire Russian economy.

US deficit 5 year average: $1.8T
<https://fiscaldata.treasury.gov/americas-finance-guide/national-deficit/>
Russia GDP 5 year average: 1.7T
<https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/gdp>