"I've seen it. It's rubbish." -- Marvin the Paranoid Android

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weight behind Beeper

SubjectAuthor
* U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weight behind BeeperWally J
`* Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weightAlan
 +* Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weightJolly Roger
 |`* Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weightJörg Lorenz
 | `- Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weightHank Rogers
 `* Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weightAlan Browne
  `- Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weight behind BeeperBradley

1
U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weight behind Beeper

<ul79ke$2s7du$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11027&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11027

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weight behind Beeper
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 11:25:03 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:25 UTC

U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass) is throwing her weight behind Beeper
<https://techcrunch.com/2023/12/10/senator-warren-calls-out-apple-for-shutting-down-beepers-imessage-to-android-solution/>
"Chatting between different platforms should be easy and secure"

"In explaining its decision to cut off Beeper's access to its servers,
Apple said that it took 'steps to steps to protect our users by blocking
techniques that exploit fake credentials in order to gain access to
iMessage.' It also suggested that Beeper's techniques 'posed significant
risks to user security and privacy, including the potential for metadata
exposure and enabling unwanted messages, spam, and phishing attacks.'"

Heh heh heh... given Apple coders are incompetent... that's pretty funny.

Apple sure has a funny way of proving that it's incompetent at coding,
given a mere child (yet again) broke into their "most secure" systems.
--
While Apple is brilliant at marketing what they claim is a secure platform,
what Apple says when their code is shown to be untested proves otherwise.

Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weight behind Beeper

<ul7d8c$37nog$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11032&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11032

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weight
behind Beeper
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 08:26:52 -0800
 by: Alan - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:26 UTC

On 2023-12-11 07:25, Wally J wrote:
> U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass) is throwing her weight behind Beeper
> <https://techcrunch.com/2023/12/10/senator-warren-calls-out-apple-for-shutting-down-beepers-imessage-to-android-solution/>
> "Chatting between different platforms should be easy and secure"
>
> "In explaining its decision to cut off Beeper's access to its servers,
> Apple said that it took 'steps to steps to protect our users by blocking
> techniques that exploit fake credentials in order to gain access to
> iMessage.' It also suggested that Beeper's techniques 'posed significant
> risks to user security and privacy, including the potential for metadata
> exposure and enabling unwanted messages, spam, and phishing attacks.'"
>
> Heh heh heh... given Apple coders are incompetent... that's pretty funny.
>
> Apple sure has a funny way of proving that it's incompetent at coding,
> given a mere child (yet again) broke into their "most secure" systems.

No one "broke" into anything.

Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weight behind Beeper

<ktos5fFikq3U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11035&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11035

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
behind Beeper
Date: 11 Dec 2023 16:37:03 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:37 UTC

On 2023-12-11, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2023-12-11 07:25, Wally J wrote:
>> U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass) is throwing her weight behind Beeper
>> <https://techcrunch.com/2023/12/10/senator-warren-calls-out-apple-for-shutting-down-beepers-imessage-to-android-solution/>
>> "Chatting between different platforms should be easy and secure"
>>
>> "In explaining its decision to cut off Beeper's access to its servers,
>> Apple said that it took 'steps to steps to protect our users by blocking
>> techniques that exploit fake credentials in order to gain access to
>> iMessage.' It also suggested that Beeper's techniques 'posed significant
>> risks to user security and privacy, including the potential for metadata
>> exposure and enabling unwanted messages, spam, and phishing attacks.'"
>>
>> Heh heh heh... given Apple coders are incompetent... that's pretty funny.
>>
>> Apple sure has a funny way of proving that it's incompetent at coding,
>> given a mere child (yet again) broke into their "most secure" systems.
>
> No one "broke" into anything.

Also, senator Warren doesn't know what she's talking about. Beeper isn't
a competitor to iMessage.

JR

Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weight behind Beeper

<ul7j90$38l6o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11043&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11043

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
behind Beeper
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 19:09:36 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:09 UTC

Am 11.12.23 um 17:37 schrieb Jolly Roger:
> On 2023-12-11, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>> On 2023-12-11 07:25, Wally J wrote:
>>> U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass) is throwing her weight behind Beeper
>>> <https://techcrunch.com/2023/12/10/senator-warren-calls-out-apple-for-shutting-down-beepers-imessage-to-android-solution/>
>>> "Chatting between different platforms should be easy and secure"
>>>
>>> "In explaining its decision to cut off Beeper's access to its servers,
>>> Apple said that it took 'steps to steps to protect our users by blocking
>>> techniques that exploit fake credentials in order to gain access to
>>> iMessage.' It also suggested that Beeper's techniques 'posed significant
>>> risks to user security and privacy, including the potential for metadata
>>> exposure and enabling unwanted messages, spam, and phishing attacks.'"
>>>
>>> Heh heh heh... given Apple coders are incompetent... that's pretty funny.
>>>
>>> Apple sure has a funny way of proving that it's incompetent at coding,
>>> given a mere child (yet again) broke into their "most secure" systems.
>>
>> No one "broke" into anything.
>
> Also, senator Warren doesn't know what she's talking about. Beeper isn't
> a competitor to iMessage.

A cheap freeloader who does not bring much added value.

Warren is certainly not a qualified person to discuss technicalities of
the topic.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weight behind Beeper

<%tIdN.17982$83n7.14528@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11045&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11045

behind Beeper
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:24:58 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:24 UTC

On 2023-12-11 11:26, Alan wrote:

> No one "broke" into anything.

In a sense, yes they did. By copying traffic from an old Mac they
managed to get their Android registered for iMessage. This is criminal
trespass and using a service in violation of Apple's TOS for that
service (using Apple devices).

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weight behind Beeper

<ZeJdN.17071$p%Mb.12542@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11054&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11054

behind Beeper
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:17:11 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 19:17 UTC

Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 11.12.23 um 17:37 schrieb Jolly Roger:

>>> No one "broke" into anything.
>>
>> Also, senator Warren doesn't know what she's talking about.
>> Beeper isn't
>> a competitor to iMessage.
>
> A cheap freeloader who does not bring much added value.
>
> Warren is certainly not a qualified person to discuss
> technicalities of the topic.

And neither are you, JugHead.

Re: U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is throwing her weight behind Beeper

<ul7nvj$39lkf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11055&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11055

From: bradley@nospam.com (Bradley)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:29:56 -0500
 by: Bradley - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 19:29 UTC

On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:24:58 -0500, Alan Browne wrote:

>> No one "broke" into anything.
>
> In a sense, yes they did. By copying traffic from an old Mac they
> managed to get their Android registered for iMessage. This is criminal
> trespass and using a service in violation of Apple's TOS for that
> service (using Apple devices).

If Apple's Messages API is public facing, and if no agreements are signed,
Beeper can do whatever they want to do with Apple's public facing APIs.

Whether or not it's criminal isn't up to you as reverse engineering has
long been held in the USA as not illegal as long as certain things did not
happen such as Beeper likely never signed any legally binding agreement
with Apple not to reverse engineer their public facing interfaces.

It's the same with reverse engineering Google's Play Store or Google's
public facing YouTube API, both of which have plenty of apps doing that.

It's not illegal as long as you didn't steal the code or sign an agreement
not to use the public facing API (which you usually sign when you log in).