"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum." -- Arthur C. Clarke

devel / comp.sys.acorn.networking / Interworking between RISC OS and a Mac

SubjectAuthor
* Interworking between RISC OS and a MacRob Hemmings
+- Interworking between RISC OS and a MacChris Hughes
+* Interworking between RISC OS and a MacRichard Porter
|`* Interworking between RISC OS and a MacBob Latham
| +- Interworking between RISC OS and a MacRob Hemmings
| `- Interworking between RISC OS and a MacRichard Porter
`- Interworking between RISC OS and a MacFrederick

1
Interworking between RISC OS and a Mac

<5af6f09a1crhemmings@rgvk.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1144&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#1144

From: rhemmings@rgvk.co.uk (Rob Hemmings)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Subject: Interworking between RISC OS and a Mac
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 19:03:18 +0100
 by: Rob Hemmings - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:03 UTC

Can anyone tell me what is the current best way to try and move files
between RISC OS and a Mac. I've seen various methods mentioned over the
years but not very recently so I'm wondering what is currently thought to
be the best way?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob Hemmings Southport
Tel: +44 (0)1704 573210 rhemmings@rgvk.co.uk

Re: Interworking between RISC OS and a Mac

<2991f9f65a.chris@mytardis>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1145&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#1145

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Subject: Re: Interworking between RISC OS and a Mac
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 20:41:14 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 19:41 UTC

In message <5af6f09a1crhemmings@rgvk.co.uk>
Rob Hemmings <rhemmings@rgvk.co.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what is the current best way to try and move files
> between RISC OS and a Mac. I've seen various methods mentioned over the
> years but not very recently so I'm wondering what is currently thought to
> be the best way?

> Thanks in advance for any advice.

The June WROCC meeting was all about RISC OS and a Mac

https://www.wrocc.org.uk/meetings/2023/mark-stephens

From there you can watch the video on YouTube of the talk, by Mark
Stephens.

Hopefully that might help.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Interworking between RISC OS and a Mac

<6c5200f75a.news@user.minijem.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1146&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#1146

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
From: ricp@minijem.plus.com (Richard Porter)
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 21:55:00 +0100
 by: Richard Porter - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 20:55 UTC

The date being 21 Oct 2023, Rob Hemmings <rhemmings@rgvk.co.uk> decided to
write:

> Can anyone tell me what is the current best way to try and move files
> between RISC OS and a Mac. I've seen various methods mentioned over the
> years but not very recently so I'm wondering what is currently thought to
> be the best way?

> Thanks in advance for any advice.

I use a public area on NAS for transferring files.
I did have a LanMan98 connection but I don't think that works any more.
I'll be interested to see what others use.

--
Richard Porter

Re: Interworking between RISC OS and a Mac

<5af7495c64bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1148&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#1148

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 11:12:47 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 10:12 UTC

In article <6c5200f75a.news@user.minijem.plus.com>,
Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> wrote:

> I did have a LanMan98 connection but I don't think that works any
> more.

I cannot say for definite as I don't know which NAS and OS you are
using but in general, SMB1 is now disabled by default as in some
cases is ntlm auth. I would be surprised if you can't just switch it
back on, I've not seen any NAS yet that you can't. Actually, I've not
seen any device yet but there's probably some.

Bob.

Re: Interworking between RISC OS and a Mac

<5af76df46arhemmings@rgvk.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1150&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#1150

From: rhemmings@rgvk.co.uk (Rob Hemmings)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:52:29 +0100
 by: Rob Hemmings - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 16:52 UTC

In article <5af7495c64bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <6c5200f75a.news@user.minijem.plus.com>,
> Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> wrote:

> > I did have a LanMan98 connection but I don't think that works any
> > more.

> I cannot say for definite as I don't know which NAS and OS you are
> using but in general, SMB1 is now disabled by default as in some
> cases is ntlm auth. I would be surprised if you can't just switch it
> back on, I've not seen any NAS yet that you can't. Actually, I've not
> seen any device yet but there's probably some.

> Bob.

I don't have a NAS so that is not an option for me.

Thanks Chris for the link, I'll have a look at it.

Rob Hemmings Southport
Tel: +44 (0)1704 573210 rhemmings@rgvk.co.uk

Re: Interworking between RISC OS and a Mac

<c9f978f75a.news@user.minijem.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1151&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#1151

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
From: ricp@minijem.plus.com (Richard Porter)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:52:52 +0100
 by: Richard Porter - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 18:52 UTC

The date being 22 Oct 2023, Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> decided
to write:

> In article <6c5200f75a.news@user.minijem.plus.com>,
> Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> wrote:

>> I did have a LanMan98 connection but I don't think that works any
>> more.

> I cannot say for definite as I don't know which NAS and OS you are
> using but in general, SMB1 is now disabled by default as in some
> cases is ntlm auth. I would be surprised if you can't just switch it
> back on, I've not seen any NAS yet that you can't. Actually, I've not
> seen any device yet but there's probably some.

I might have misled you. I'm using stand-alone !lanman98 2.08 on an ARMX6
with OS 5.29. The NAS is a Seagate.

I can share files with the NAS from both ARMX6 and iMac but not directly
from the ARMX6 to the iMac (latest update) or vice versa.

Re: Interworking between RISC OS and a Mac

<mpro.s2ydyy00b0qdx01i1@ypical.nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1152&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#1152

From: atypicalink@[127.0.0.1] (Frederick)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 00:16:11 +0100
 by: Frederick - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 23:16 UTC

In message <5af6f09a1crhemmings@rgvk.co.uk>
Rob Hemmings <rhemmings@rgvk.co.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what is the current best way to try and move files
> between RISC OS and a Mac. I've seen various methods mentioned over the
> years but not very recently so I'm wondering what is currently thought
> to be the best way?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.

I use Moonfish & nfs from the Mac.

--