Perfection is achieved only on the point of collapse. -- C. N. Parkinson

computers / alt.os.linux / program to improve dark photographs

SubjectAuthor
* program to improve dark photographsMarioCPPP
+* program to improve dark photographsMarioCPPP
|`* program to improve dark photographsJ.O. Aho
| `* program to improve dark photographsMarioCPPP
|  +* program to improve dark photographsJ.O. Aho
|  |`- program to improve dark photographsMarioCPPP
|  `- program to improve dark photographsGordon
`* program to improve dark photographsPeter Pearson
 +- program to improve dark photographsMarioCPPP
 `- program to improve dark photographsCarlos E.R.

1
program to improve dark photographs

<uak7p4$1fmgf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1158&group=alt.os.linux#1158

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: program to improve dark photographs
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 03:14:12 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 01:14 UTC

I have a lot of photos of my cat, that left me recently.
Many of them is really dark (too little light in the room
when the shot was taken).

Can you recommend some Linux SW to improve the photos ? I
have never worked on graphics this way.

Tnx in advance.

P.S.
I just have a lot installed, but not knowing the best tools
of each.

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti

Re: program to improve dark photographs

<uak9rs$1jles$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1159&group=alt.os.linux#1159

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: program to improve dark photographs
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 03:49:48 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 01:49 UTC

On 05/08/23 03:14, MarioCPPP wrote:

> I have a lot of photos of my cat, that left me recently.
> Many of them is really dark (too little light in the room
> when the shot was taken).
>
> Can you recommend some Linux SW to improve the photos ? I
> have never worked on graphics this way.
>
> Tnx in advance.
>
> P.S.
> I just have a lot installed, but not knowing the best tools
> of each.

Actually, I found to have GLIMPSE 0.2.0 which, under the
COLOR menu has an EXPOSITION TOOL (for both luminance and
black threshold) that is managing to obtain good results.
I don't need to win a photo prize after all, just to be able
to look at that funny huge wiskers and see the light in her
greenish eyes.
(=^||^=) miao

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: program to improve dark photographs

<kj6ebuFh08lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1161&group=alt.os.linux#1161

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 10:08:30 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 08:08 UTC

On 8/5/23 03:49, MarioCPPP wrote:
> On 05/08/23 03:14, MarioCPPP wrote:
>>
>> I have a lot of photos of my cat, that left me recently. Many of them
>> is really dark (too little light in the room when the shot was taken).
>>
>> Can you recommend some Linux SW to improve the photos ? I have never
>> worked on graphics this way.
>>
>> Tnx in advance.
>>
>> P.S.
>> I just have a lot installed, but not knowing the best tools of each.
>>

> Actually, I found to have GLIMPSE 0.2.0 which, under the COLOR menu has
> an EXPOSITION TOOL (for both luminance and black threshold) that is
> managing to obtain good results.
> I don't need to win a photo prize after all, just to be able to look at
> that funny huge wiskers and see the light in her greenish eyes.

If you want a more professional tool then take a look at Darktable, this
one is kind of what Adobes Lightroom is, but of course open source.

There is also LightZone, RawTherapee, Fotoxx, A Photo Tool, photivo and
so on, each of them with there strong and weak sides and don't forget
GIMP which also has some color adjustment stuff and always saves in it's
own format when doing a "save as".

--
//Aho

Re: program to improve dark photographs

<ual5to$1mrav$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1162&group=alt.os.linux#1162

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 11:48:40 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:48 UTC

On 05/08/23 10:08, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 8/5/23 03:49, MarioCPPP wrote:
>> On 05/08/23 03:14, MarioCPPP wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a lot of photos of my cat, that left me recently.
>>> Many of them is really dark (too little light in the room
>>> when the shot was taken).
>>>
>>> Can you recommend some Linux SW to improve the photos ? I
>>> have never worked on graphics this way.
>>>
>>> Tnx in advance.
>>>
>>> P.S.
>>> I just have a lot installed, but not knowing the best
>>> tools of each.
>>>

>> Actually, I found to have GLIMPSE 0.2.0 which, under the
>> COLOR menu has an EXPOSITION TOOL (for both luminance and
>> black threshold) that is managing to obtain good results.
>> I don't need to win a photo prize after all, just to be
>> able to look at that funny huge wiskers and see the light
>> in her greenish eyes.
>
> If you want a more professional tool then take a look at
> Darktable, this one is kind of what Adobes Lightroom is, but
> of course open source.
>
> There is also LightZone, RawTherapee, Fotoxx, A Photo Tool,
> photivo and so on, each of them with there strong and weak
> sides and don't forget GIMP which also has some color
> adjustment stuff and always saves in it's own format when
> doing a "save as".

Tnx a lot !!! Since you happen to know a lot, what should I
try first ? I mean, to just adjust "exposition" of dark
photos. I just have this specific problem, I have never done
photo-editing, and possibly will never do again. I must just
take out all the good from that set of old JPG (for that cat
miss me so much).

The name RawTherapee inspires md :D

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: program to improve dark photographs

<kj75rhF9bslU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1166&group=alt.os.linux#1166

From: pkpearson@nowhere.invalid (Peter Pearson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: 5 Aug 2023 14:49:21 GMT
 by: Peter Pearson - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 14:49 UTC

On Sat, 5 Aug 2023 03:14:12 +0200, MarioCPPP wrote:

> I have a lot of photos of my cat, that left me recently.
> Many of them is really dark (too little light in the room
> when the shot was taken).
>
> Can you recommend some Linux SW to improve the photos ? I
> have never worked on graphics this way.
[snip]

I use gimp for this sort of thing. For your application,
several of the options under the Colors drop-down might be
good; I like the flexibility of Colors/Curves. A lot of
gimp's user interface confuses me, though.

If you want to process a lot of files in a batch mode,
the ImageMagick utility "convert" might be useful. Or
"mogrify", which replaces the original file with the modified
file (so backup first, of course).

I'm grateful to J.O.Aho for calling to my attention the
variety of gimp alternatives available.

Slightly amusing linguistic side-note: in English, when
your cat is no more, you miss your cat. In some other languages,
the cat misses you.

--
To email me, substitute nowhere->runbox, invalid->com.

Re: program to improve dark photographs

<kj762tF9drmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1167&group=alt.os.linux#1167

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 16:53:17 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 14:53 UTC

On 8/5/23 11:48, MarioCPPP wrote:
> On 05/08/23 10:08, J.O. Aho wrote:

>>> Actually, I found to have GLIMPSE 0.2.0 which, under the COLOR menu
>>> has an EXPOSITION TOOL (for both luminance and black threshold) that
>>> is managing to obtain good results.
>>> I don't need to win a photo prize after all, just to be able to look
>>> at that funny huge wiskers and see the light in her greenish eyes.
>>
>> If you want a more professional tool then take a look at Darktable,
>> this one is kind of what Adobes Lightroom is, but of course open source.
>>
>> There is also LightZone, RawTherapee, Fotoxx, A Photo Tool, photivo
>> and so on, each of them with there strong and weak sides and don't
>> forget GIMP which also has some color adjustment stuff and always
>> saves in it's own format when doing a "save as".
>
> Tnx a lot !!! Since you happen to know a lot, what should I try first ?

I'm far from an expert on these, I was just trying to find alternatives
to some of the Adobe products for my other half, but later on it ended
with one of those Adobe cloud account and a virtual machine with
hardware support as the University courses required Adobe tools.

I would put my money on darktable and the only of those listed that I
have ever tested, except Gimp which I do use from time to time.

There would of course be a lot of reading:
https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/development/en/overview/

There are also youtube instruction videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiWBZ3FOMo8

Sadly not as much as for Adobe products, as not enough people have
discovered open source tools for professionals.

> I mean, to just adjust "exposition" of dark photos. I just have this
> specific problem

If glimpse does everything you need, then why not use it, I'm not
advocating that you have to use a specific tool, just wanted to show
that there are quite many tools for Linux when it comes to image
manipulation.

> I have never done photo-editing, and possibly will
> never do again. I must just take out all the good from that set of old
> JPG (for that cat miss me so much).

Yeah, cats are special, we wouldn't even have internat if it hadn't been
to share cat pictures, which reminds me that it's the best day to follow
#CatsOfMastodon

--
//Aho

Re: program to improve dark photographs

<uaoq5b$2e7r8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1179&group=alt.os.linux#1179

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 20:52:27 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 18:52 UTC

On 05/08/23 16:49, Peter Pearson wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Aug 2023 03:14:12 +0200, MarioCPPP wrote:
>>
>> I have a lot of photos of my cat, that left me recently.
>> Many of them is really dark (too little light in the room
>> when the shot was taken).
>>
>> Can you recommend some Linux SW to improve the photos ? I
>> have never worked on graphics this way.
> [snip]
>
> I use gimp for this sort of thing. For your application,
> several of the options under the Colors drop-down might be
> good; I like the flexibility of Colors/Curves. A lot of
> gimp's user interface confuses me, though.
>
> If you want to process a lot of files in a batch mode,
> the ImageMagick utility "convert" might be useful. Or
> "mogrify", which replaces the original file with the modified
> file (so backup first, of course).
>
> I'm grateful to J.O.Aho for calling to my attention the
> variety of gimp alternatives available.
>
> Slightly amusing linguistic side-note: in English, when
> your cat is no more, you miss your cat. In some other languages,
> the cat misses you.

yes, I have been careful. Indeed in italian I'd have said
"She misses TO me" (= mi manca), but I remembered in English
it is transitive (not reflexive).

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: program to improve dark photographs

<uaoq6s$2e7r8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1180&group=alt.os.linux#1180

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 20:53:15 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 18:53 UTC

On 05/08/23 16:53, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 8/5/23 11:48, MarioCPPP wrote:
CUT

> Yeah, cats are special, we wouldn't even have internat if it
> hadn't been to share cat pictures, which reminds me that
> it's the best day to follow #CatsOfMastodon

oh ! A valid reasont to give another try to Mastodon (I
opened an account, never used)

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: program to improve dark photographs

<2vf5qjxv0i.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1181&group=alt.os.linux#1181

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 23:29:38 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 21:29 UTC

On 2023-08-05 16:49, Peter Pearson wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Aug 2023 03:14:12 +0200, MarioCPPP wrote:
>>
>> I have a lot of photos of my cat, that left me recently.
>> Many of them is really dark (too little light in the room
>> when the shot was taken).
>>
>> Can you recommend some Linux SW to improve the photos ? I
>> have never worked on graphics this way.
> [snip]
>
> I use gimp for this sort of thing. For your application,
> several of the options under the Colors drop-down might be
> good; I like the flexibility of Colors/Curves. A lot of
> gimp's user interface confuses me, though.

Same here. The curve adjustment works wonders.

otherwise, tools like "shotwell" have an automatic enhancement button
which might work.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: program to improve dark photographs

<kjgel0Fp1naU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1187&group=alt.os.linux#1187

From: Gordon@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: 9 Aug 2023 03:14:40 GMT
 by: Gordon - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 03:14 UTC

On 2023-08-05, MarioCPPP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
> On 05/08/23 10:08, J.O. Aho wrote:

>>> Actually, I found to have GLIMPSE 0.2.0 which, under the
>>> COLOR menu has an EXPOSITION TOOL (for both luminance and
>>> black threshold) that is managing to obtain good results.
>>> I don't need to win a photo prize after all, just to be
>>> able to look at that funny huge wiskers and see the light
>>> in her greenish eyes.
>>
>> If you want a more professional tool then take a look at
>> Darktable, this one is kind of what Adobes Lightroom is, but
>> of course open source.
>>
>> There is also LightZone, RawTherapee, Fotoxx, A Photo Tool,
>> photivo and so on, each of them with there strong and weak
>> sides and don't forget GIMP which also has some color
>> adjustment stuff and always saves in it's own format when
>> doing a "save as".
>
> Tnx a lot !!! Since you happen to know a lot, what should I
> try first ?

In cases such as this I just try out the options from the recommendations.
You will soon see if it working "out of the box" or it is worth trying the
next.

I agree with the others that Curves in GIMP works wonders, but not in all
cases.

Seems to me you a great deal of sentiment for you cat and thus you would be
willing to spend some time getting something that works.

I also find it worthwhile to do a search for the matter in question. ChatGPT
is probably not needed. A simple web search for "improving photos with a dark
subject"

Gives us
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=improving+photos+with+a+dark+subject&ia=web

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiIbTuAeH8w
This is using a woman with dark skin

https://www.kevinandamanda.com/how-to-brighten-a-dark-subject-on-a-light-background/
This takes you through how to do it in Photoshop, Gimp has similar tools.

Many other links.

Adding Linux to the search might be useful.

It was once pointed out to me, that the speaker knew nothing about everything
apart from knowing how to find it. That really does apply these days.

Of course people are a source of knowledge.