If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. -- Albert Einstein

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / iPhone survives 16,000-foot drop

SubjectAuthor
* iPhone survives 16,000-foot dropbadgolferman
+* Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot dropLarry Wolff
|`* Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot dropJolly Roger
| `* Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot dropLarry Wolff
|  `- Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot dropJolly Roger
`* Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot drop*Hemidactylus*
 +- Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot dropJolly Roger
 `- Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot dropAlan Browne

1
iPhone survives 16,000-foot drop

<xn0ogl279lxtj0002@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11798&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11798

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: iPhone survives 16,000-foot drop
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 18:51:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 18:51 UTC

On Saturday, one of Alaska Airlines’ planes had a window and fuselage
blew out midair, forcing an emergency landing. Despite the shock, no
one got hurt. While the story itself is incredible, a post on X
(formerly known as Twitter) has gone viral as an iPhone from this plane
was found intact on a road near Beaverton, Oregon.

According to Seanathan Bates, he found an iPhone from the Alaska
Airlines flight on the side of the road. It was still in Airplane Mode
with half a battery and open to a baggage claim for this flight. The
iPhone, which had a case and screen protector, was intact after a
16,000-foot drop.

Interestingly, while the case and the screen protector look as good as
new, there was just a tiny issue: A broken-off charger plug still
inside it. But despite that, everything seemed to be working just fine.
Another X user posted where the airplane was when its panel blew out
and where the iPhone was later found.

The image seems to imply the person who lost the iPhone after the
Alaska Airlines incident had an iPhone 14 Pro or one of the iPhone 15
models. While Apple claims the Ceramic Shield technology brings the
toughest screen to a smartphone, I’m sure the company hasn’t tested
that many 16,000-foot drops. In addition, the phone possibly landed on
grass, which helped soften the fall.

https://bgr.com/tech/iphone-survives-16000-foot-drop-after-alaska-airlines-1282-panel-blows-out-mid-flight/

Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot drop

<unhm9t$3vbn4$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11799&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11799

From: larrywolff@larrywolff.net (Larry Wolff)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot drop
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 15:35:09 -0500
 by: Larry Wolff - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 20:35 UTC

On 1/8/2024 6:51 PM, badgolferman wrote:

> While Apple claims the Ceramic Shield technology brings the
> toughest screen to a smartphone

It's still glass no matter what fancy brand name they concoct for it.

> I'm sure the company hasn't tested
> that many 16,000-foot drops.

Terminal velocity + soft landings = people survived falling over six miles
https://www.statista.com/chart/19708/known-occasions-where-people-survived-falls/

Terminal velocity of a human is around 120mph
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_skydiving)

> In addition, the phone possibly landed on
> grass, which helped soften the fall.

A phone? About 40mph (but the test phone was dropped onto a hard surface)
(https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6813341/Terminal_Velocity_of_Phone__Rev3.0.pdf)

Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot drop

<aQCdnbbafLew4gH4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11802&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11802

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: ecphoric@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2024 23:03:09 +0000
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 23:03 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, one of Alaska Airlines’ planes had a window and fuselage
> blew out midair, forcing an emergency landing. Despite the shock, no
> one got hurt. While the story itself is incredible, a post on X
> (formerly known as Twitter) has gone viral as an iPhone from this plane
> was found intact on a road near Beaverton, Oregon.
>
> According to Seanathan Bates, he found an iPhone from the Alaska
> Airlines flight on the side of the road. It was still in Airplane Mode
> with half a battery and open to a baggage claim for this flight. The
> iPhone, which had a case and screen protector, was intact after a
> 16,000-foot drop.
>
> Interestingly, while the case and the screen protector look as good as
> new, there was just a tiny issue: A broken-off charger plug still
> inside it. But despite that, everything seemed to be working just fine.
> Another X user posted where the airplane was when its panel blew out
> and where the iPhone was later found.
>
> The image seems to imply the person who lost the iPhone after the
> Alaska Airlines incident had an iPhone 14 Pro or one of the iPhone 15
> models. While Apple claims the Ceramic Shield technology brings the
> toughest screen to a smartphone, I’m sure the company hasn’t tested
> that many 16,000-foot drops. In addition, the phone possibly landed on
> grass, which helped soften the fall.
>
> https://bgr.com/tech/iphone-survives-16000-foot-drop-after-alaska-airlines-1282-panel-blows-out-mid-flight/

Just shows the skullduggery of Apple marketing that Apple never tests their
phones by dropping them from 16000 feet from an airplane. The charger plug
broke off. Full stop.

Yet the iKooks like nospam and Jolly Roger will still tout the
indestructibility of iPhones because they are far to the left on the
Dunning-Kruger graphs and part of the peak of the scientifically
irrefutable Mount Stupid. I have a lot of books and too much time for
usenet rants.

Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot drop

<l03livFg0osU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11803&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11803

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 9 Jan 2024 01:24:47 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 01:24 UTC

On 2024-01-08, Larry Wolff <larrywolff@larrywolff.net> wrote:
> On 1/8/2024 6:51 PM, badgolferman wrote:
>
>> While Apple claims the Ceramic Shield technology brings the
>> toughest screen to a smartphone
>
> It's still glass no matter what fancy brand name they concoct for it.

Ah, so is all glass the same?

You must be fun at parties.

JR

Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot drop

<l03llfFg0osU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11804&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11804

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 9 Jan 2024 01:26:07 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 01:26 UTC

On 2024-01-08, *Hemidactylus* <ecphoric@allspamis.invalid> wrote:
> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday, one of Alaska Airlines’ planes had a window and fuselage
>> blew out midair, forcing an emergency landing. Despite the shock, no
>> one got hurt. While the story itself is incredible, a post on X
>> (formerly known as Twitter) has gone viral as an iPhone from this
>> plane was found intact on a road near Beaverton, Oregon.
>>
>> According to Seanathan Bates, he found an iPhone from the Alaska
>> Airlines flight on the side of the road. It was still in Airplane
>> Mode with half a battery and open to a baggage claim for this flight.
>> The iPhone, which had a case and screen protector, was intact after a
>> 16,000-foot drop.
>>
>> Interestingly, while the case and the screen protector look as good
>> as new, there was just a tiny issue: A broken-off charger plug still
>> inside it. But despite that, everything seemed to be working just
>> fine. Another X user posted where the airplane was when its panel
>> blew out and where the iPhone was later found.
>>
>> The image seems to imply the person who lost the iPhone after the
>> Alaska Airlines incident had an iPhone 14 Pro or one of the iPhone 15
>> models. While Apple claims the Ceramic Shield technology brings the
>> toughest screen to a smartphone, I’m sure the company hasn’t tested
>> that many 16,000-foot drops. In addition, the phone possibly landed
>> on grass, which helped soften the fall.
>>
>> https://bgr.com/tech/iphone-survives-16000-foot-drop-after-alaska-airlines-1282-panel-blows-out-mid-flight/
>>
> Just shows the skullduggery of Apple marketing that Apple never tests
> their phones by dropping them from 16000 feet from an airplane. The
> charger plug broke off. Full stop.
>
> Yet the iKooks like nospam and Jolly Roger will still tout the
> indestructibility of iPhones because they are far to the left on the
> Dunning-Kruger graphs and part of the peak of the scientifically
> irrefutable Mount Stupid. I have a lot of books and too much time for
> usenet rants.

Nice. 🤣

JR

Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot drop

<uni9oj$182v$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11805&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11805

From: larrywolff@larrywolff.net (Larry Wolff)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 21:07:15 -0500
 by: Larry Wolff - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 02:07 UTC

On 1/8/2024 7:24 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

>> It's still glass no matter what fancy brand name they concoct for it.
>
> Ah, so is all glass the same?

The results would have been the same no matter what phone it was.
And all the trade names in the world doesn't make glass not glass.

Even people have survived falling from taller than Mount Everest.
If they land in a soft spot (as terminal velocity is all that matters).

If you don't even understand glass, you probably don't know what that means
which is that any phone that finds a soft spot to land will easily survive.

Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot drop

<l03rbhFgvhaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11807&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11807

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 9 Jan 2024 03:03:13 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 03:03 UTC

On 2024-01-09, Larry Wolff <larrywolff@larrywolff.net> wrote:
> On 1/8/2024 7:24 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>>> It's still glass no matter what fancy brand name they concoct for
>>> it.
>>
>> Ah, so is all glass the same?
>
> The results would have been the same no matter what phone it was.

Well not necessarily considering the impact angle, velocity, and surface
wouldn't be the same.

> And all the trade names in the world doesn't make glass not glass.

Nobody here (except you) is making that claim - least of all Apple.

> you don't even understand glass

Sure, pumpkin.

JR

Re: iPhone survives 16,000-foot drop

<HQknN.136897$Ama9.65954@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11819&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11819

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 18:41:27 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 23:41 UTC

On 2024-01-08 18:03, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday, one of Alaska Airlines’ planes had a window and fuselage
>> blew out midair, forcing an emergency landing. Despite the shock, no
>> one got hurt. While the story itself is incredible, a post on X
>> (formerly known as Twitter) has gone viral as an iPhone from this plane
>> was found intact on a road near Beaverton, Oregon.
>>
>> According to Seanathan Bates, he found an iPhone from the Alaska
>> Airlines flight on the side of the road. It was still in Airplane Mode
>> with half a battery and open to a baggage claim for this flight. The
>> iPhone, which had a case and screen protector, was intact after a
>> 16,000-foot drop.
>>
>> Interestingly, while the case and the screen protector look as good as
>> new, there was just a tiny issue: A broken-off charger plug still
>> inside it. But despite that, everything seemed to be working just fine.
>> Another X user posted where the airplane was when its panel blew out
>> and where the iPhone was later found.
>>
>> The image seems to imply the person who lost the iPhone after the
>> Alaska Airlines incident had an iPhone 14 Pro or one of the iPhone 15
>> models. While Apple claims the Ceramic Shield technology brings the
>> toughest screen to a smartphone, I’m sure the company hasn’t tested
>> that many 16,000-foot drops. In addition, the phone possibly landed on
>> grass, which helped soften the fall.
>>
>> https://bgr.com/tech/iphone-survives-16000-foot-drop-after-alaska-airlines-1282-panel-blows-out-mid-flight/
>>
> Just shows the skullduggery of Apple marketing that Apple never tests their
> phones by dropping them from 16000 feet from an airplane. The charger plug
> broke off. Full stop.
>
> Yet the iKooks like nospam and Jolly Roger will still tout the
> indestructibility of iPhones because they are far to the left on the
> Dunning-Kruger graphs and part of the peak of the scientifically
> irrefutable Mount Stupid. I have a lot of books and too much time for
> usenet rants.

Cute.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.