From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.math,alt.philosophy,comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: Why_is_Gödel's_G_unprovable_in_F_???
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 15:33:26 -0500
 by: olcott - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 20:33 UTC

"We are therefore confronted with a proposition which asserts its own
unprovability." (Gödel 1931:39-41)

If we take the simplest possible essence of Gödel's logic sentence we
have: G asserts its own unprovability in F.

This means that G is asserting that there is no sequence of inference
steps in F that derives G.

For G to be satisfied in F there would have to be a sequence of
inference steps in F that proves there is no such sequence of inference
steps in F.

This is like René Descartes saying:
“I think therefore thoughts do not exist”

...."there is also a close relationship with the “liar” antinomy,14"
(Gödel 1931:39-41)

"14 Every epistemological antinomy can likewise be used for a similar
undecidability proof."(Gödel 1931:39-41)

So we can see from the above that it is true that G is unprovable in F,
yet without arithmetization and diagonalization hiding the reason why G
is unprovable in F we can see that G is unprovable in F because G is
self-contradictory in F, not because F is in anyway incomplete.

Gödel, Kurt 1931. On Formally Undecidable Propositions of Principia
Mathematica And Related Systems

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius