From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: iWatch blood-oxygen sensor issue
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 15:50:49 +0100
 by: Cameo - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 14:50 UTC

Now that Apple lost the patent fight against Masimo, I wonder how this
effects the Series 9 iWatches that have been sold or are in the
distribution channels, because I would still like to get one of those
that have the sensor built in. On the other hand, if Apple is forced to
disable those sensors via software or firmware update, I would not rush
to buy one of the last ones that still have the sensor built in.
What is your take on this issue? I am kinda' new in the Apple world.
Oh, I wonder if the US court decision would also apply to watches sold
in EU where I live right now.

Re: iWatch blood-oxygen sensor issue

<wTRqN.45195$LONb.39429@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11914&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11914

Subject: Re: iWatch blood-oxygen sensor issue
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:44:28 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 15:44 UTC

On 2024-01-20 09:50, Cameo wrote:
> Now that Apple lost the patent fight against Masimo, I wonder how this

They haven't even had the patent fight yet.

> effects the Series 9 iWatches that have been sold or are in the
> distribution channels, because I would still like to get one of those
> that have the sensor built in. On the other hand, if Apple is forced to

I see below that you say you're not in the US, then those watches are
probably not affected. Contact a local Apple Store for info.

> disable those sensors via software or firmware update, I would not rush
> to buy one of the last ones that still have the sensor built in.
> What is your take on this issue? I am kinda' new in the Apple world.
> Oh, I wonder if the US court decision would also apply to watches sold
> in EU where I live right now.

Of course it doesn't. OTOH, Masimo having made some progress in the US
may attempt to have similar legal orders made in large markets such as
the EU.

I suspect this will all blow over once it reaches a court of law and
either Apple prove they did not infringe or Masimo wins and forces Apple
to the table.

To whit: Masimo's CEO stated Friday that they are looking for a Win-Win
with Apple.

There are other facets to this (other court cases, appeal of the ITC
order, etc.).

So, as usual, Apple will heavy hand this in court to the end.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.