Real Users hate Real Programmers.

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Call recording apps

SubjectAuthor
* Call recording appsCameo
+* Re: Call recording appsAlan Browne
|`* Re: Call recording appsCameo
| +- Re: Call recording appsbadgolferman
| `- Re: Call recording appsAlan Browne
+* Re: Call recording appsJolly Roger
|`- Re: Call recording appsBlueshirt
`* Re: Call recording appsJörg Lorenz
 +* Re: Call recording appsPeter
 |+* Re: Call recording appsJörg Lorenz
 ||+* Re: Call recording appsCameo
 |||+* Re: Call recording appsbadgolferman
 |||`- Re: Call recording appsJörg Lorenz
 ||+- Re: Call recording appsAlan Browne
 ||`- Re: Call recording appsRod Speed
 |`- Re: Call recording appsRod Speed
 `- Re: Call recording appsRod Speed

1
Call recording apps

<uoqjo8$1o6e3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11946&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11946

From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Call recording apps
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:03:07 +0100
 by: Cameo - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 09:03 UTC

While browsing, I get a lot of pop-up offers for different call
recording apps and I wonder if any of you are using them and how
satisfied are you with them. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they are
legal, and if they are, why Apple does not offer one such app free or a
low cost. I find such apps very useful.

Re: Call recording apps

<s98sN.70532$Vrtf.1434@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11948&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11948

Subject: Re: Call recording apps
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 08:21:28 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 13:21 UTC

On 2024-01-24 04:03, Cameo wrote:
> While browsing, I get a lot of pop-up offers for different call
> recording apps and I wonder if any of you are using them and how
> satisfied are you with them. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they are
> legal, and if they are, why Apple does not offer one such app free or a
> low cost. I find such apps very useful.

In the US some states require you inform the other party.

I believe Apple make recording phone calls impossible on the device -
part of Apple's privacy policy. There are workarounds, of course, such
as using speaker and another device to record both sides.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Call recording apps

<uor4s5$1qv1h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11949&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11949

From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:55:21 +0100
 by: Cameo - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 13:55 UTC

On 1/24/2024 2:21 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2024-01-24 04:03, Cameo wrote:
>> While browsing, I get a lot of pop-up offers for different call
>> recording apps and I wonder if any of you are using them and how
>> satisfied are you with them. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they are
>> legal, and if they are, why Apple does not offer one such app free or
>> a low cost. I find such apps very useful.
>
> In the US some states require you inform the other party.

You are right about the US situation, though I have always had the
impression that the EU is even more obsessed with privacy than the US.

> I believe Apple make recording phone calls impossible on the device -
> part of Apple's privacy policy.  There are workarounds, of course, such
> as using speaker and another device to record both sides.

So than how can these pop-up app ads advertise themselves? They sure do
not require another device for the scheme to work. Besides, it would not
be very practical. BTW, to my knowledge Android also makes it hard for
such apps to exist.

Re: Call recording apps

<uor64d$s7j8$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11950&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11950

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:16:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:16 UTC

Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

> So than how can these pop-up app ads advertise themselves? They sure do
> not require another device for the scheme to work. Besides, it would not
> be very practical. BTW, to my knowledge Android also makes it hard for
> such apps to exist.

I’m sure Arlen can help you find one on the Android side. This function is
one of his pet peeves with iOS.

Re: Call recording apps

<N99sN.250215$Wp_8.221112@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11951&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11951

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 09:30:05 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:30 UTC

On 2024-01-24 08:55, Cameo wrote:
> On 1/24/2024 2:21 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2024-01-24 04:03, Cameo wrote:
>>> While browsing, I get a lot of pop-up offers for different call
>>> recording apps and I wonder if any of you are using them and how
>>> satisfied are you with them. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they are
>>> legal, and if they are, why Apple does not offer one such app free or
>>> a low cost. I find such apps very useful.
>>
>> In the US some states require you inform the other party.
>
> You are right about the US situation, though I have always had the
> impression that the EU is even more obsessed with privacy than the US.
>
>> I believe Apple make recording phone calls impossible on the device -
>> part of Apple's privacy policy.  There are workarounds, of course,
>> such as using speaker and another device to record both sides.
>
> So than how can these pop-up app ads advertise themselves? They sure do
> not require another device for the scheme to work.

I'm sure someone has the answer - Google away.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Call recording apps

<l1ctirFiaadU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11952&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11952

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 24 Jan 2024 16:52:43 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:52 UTC

On 2024-01-24, Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:
> While browsing, I get a lot of pop-up offers

I am constantly amazed that there are still people bumbling around the
web with no ad blocking & tracking protection whatsoever today...

> for different call recording apps and I wonder if any of you are using
> them and how satisfied are you with them. Frankly, I'm not even sure
> if they are legal, and if they are, why Apple does not offer one such
> app free or a low cost. I find such apps very useful.

The only ones that will work with Apple devices will rely on call
forwarding, where your calls get forwarded to some strange company that
records your calls (and then does who knows what with them - a privacy
nightmare). Apps are not allowed access to calls on Apple devices in the
interest of security and privacy.

JR

Re: Call recording apps

<nnd$5dd9546c$3c5ae5da@74519000fad124dc>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11953&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11953

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:07:18 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:07 UTC

Jolly Roger wrote:

> On 2024-01-24, Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:
> > While browsing, I get a lot of pop-up offers
>
> I am constantly amazed that there are still people bumbling around
> the web with no ad blocking & tracking protection whatsoever
> today...

Maybe some people like constant pop-ups interfering with their
browsing?!

I don't, but there's nowt as queer as folk as my old Nan used to
say...

Re: Call recording apps

<uosujs$271ln$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11954&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11954

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 07:20:44 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 06:20 UTC

Am 24.01.24 um 10:03 schrieb Cameo:
> While browsing, I get a lot of pop-up offers for different call
> recording apps and I wonder if any of you are using them and how
> satisfied are you with them. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they are
> legal, and if they are, why Apple does not offer one such app free or a
> low cost. I find such apps very useful.

In Europe it is illegal except the other party explicitly agrees to it.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Call recording apps

<uou5fc$2cv12$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11957&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11957

From: confused@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:23:55 +0000
 by: Peter - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:23 UTC

J�rg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>> While browsing, I get a lot of pop-up offers for different call
>> recording apps and I wonder if any of you are using them and how
>> satisfied are you with them. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they are
>> legal, and if they are, why Apple does not offer one such app free or a
>> low cost. I find such apps very useful.
>
> In Europe it is illegal except the other party explicitly agrees to it.

If you both want to use a call recording app, which one do you use?

Re: Call recording apps

<uou6b3$2cprg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11958&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11958

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:38:42 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:38 UTC

Am 25.01.24 um 18:23 schrieb Peter:
> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>>> While browsing, I get a lot of pop-up offers for different call
>>> recording apps and I wonder if any of you are using them and how
>>> satisfied are you with them. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they are
>>> legal, and if they are, why Apple does not offer one such app free or a
>>> low cost. I find such apps very useful.
>>
>> In Europe it is illegal except the other party explicitly agrees to it.
>
> If you both want to use a call recording app, which one do you use?

None. I respect the privacy of my callers.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Call recording apps

<uouafm$2dp0r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11959&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11959

From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 19:49:31 +0100
 by: Cameo - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:49 UTC

On 1/25/2024 6:38 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:

>>> In Europe it is illegal except the other party explicitly agrees to it.
>>
>> If you both want to use a call recording app, which one do you use?
>
> None. I respect the privacy of my callers.

It often happens that you need to take notes during a phone call but you
are not in a position to do that. For instance during driving. I was
thinking about such situations when a call recorder could come handy.

Re: Call recording apps

<peysN.230125$Ama9.120814@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11960&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11960

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:01:41 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 19:01 UTC

On 2024-01-25 12:38, Jörg Lorenz wrote:

>>> In Europe it is illegal except the other party explicitly agrees to it.
>>
>> If you both want to use a call recording app, which one do you use?
>
> None. I respect the privacy of my callers.

What if they don't respect yours?

What if it's a legal matter?

Canada is a one-party consent system. So I consent to me recording the
call if I want to. If you say something legally inconvenient to you,
that is your problem when I present it in discovery and ask the
embarrassing questions.

Companies here generally disclose that they are recording conversations
for "training and other purposes", but we all know it's for two purposes:
1) Keep their people sharp and their statements legally contained.
2) To gather anything you say that would benefit them legally.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Call recording apps

<uoufak$v5nc$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11961&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11961

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:12:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:12 UTC

Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:
> On 1/25/2024 6:38 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:

>>> If you both want to use a call recording app, which one do you use?
>>
>> None. I respect the privacy of my callers.
>>
> It often happens that you need to take notes during a phone call but you
> are not in a position to do that. For instance during driving. I was
> thinking about such situations when a call recorder could come handy.

I wonder if you could start Voice Memo recording and then place the call on
speaker mode. Try that and see how it works.

Re: Call recording apps

<uouj5e$2fan4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11963&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11963

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:17:34 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:17 UTC

Am 25.01.24 um 19:49 schrieb Cameo:
> On 1/25/2024 6:38 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:

>>> If you both want to use a call recording app, which one do you use?
>>
>> None. I respect the privacy of my callers.
>>
> It often happens that you need to take notes during a phone call but you
> are not in a position to do that. For instance during driving. I was
> thinking about such situations when a call recorder could come handy.

Fiddling around with a call recording app while driving? Not seriously.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Call recording apps

<op.2h4jeuisbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11964&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11964

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:29:08 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:29 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote
> Cameo wrote

>> While browsing, I get a lot of pop-up offers for different call
>> recording apps and I wonder if any of you are using them and how
>> satisfied are you with them. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they are
>> legal, and if they are, why Apple does not offer one such app free or a
>> low cost. I find such apps very useful.

> In Europe it is illegal except the other party explicitly agrees to it..

Its not that black and white.

Re: Call recording apps

<op.2h4jm9txbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11965&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11965

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:34:11 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:34 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 04:38:42 +1100, Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

>>> In Europe it is illegal except the other party explicitly agrees to it.
>> If you both want to use a call recording app, which one do you use?
>
> None. I respect the privacy of my callers.

But call recording isnt just for callers. Its useful when calling,
particularly when calling commercial operation to ask them
about the detail of their service or what they are selling.

Re: Call recording apps

<op.2h4jkabvbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11966&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11966

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:32:24 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:32 UTC

Peter <confused@nospam.net> wrote
> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote

>>> While browsing, I get a lot of pop-up offers for different call
>>> recording apps and I wonder if any of you are using them and how
>>> satisfied are you with them. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they are
>>> legal, and if they are, why Apple does not offer one such app free or a
>>> low cost. I find such apps very useful.

>> In Europe it is illegal except the other party explicitly agrees to it.

> If you both want to use a call recording app, which one do you use?

Quite a few of the voip apps allow that.

Re: Call recording apps

<4XBsN.255948$Wp_8.91638@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11967&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11967

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:14:01 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 23:14 UTC

badgolferman wrote:
> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

>>> None. I respect the privacy of my callers.
>>>
>> It often happens that you need to take notes during a phone call but you
>> are not in a position to do that. For instance during driving. I was
>> thinking about such situations when a call recorder could come handy.
>>

> I wonder if you could start Voice Memo recording and then place the call on
> speaker mode. Try that and see how it works.

Uh-oh. I think you got poor Jughead worked up on a fine point
of europe law.

Shame on you.