From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: notifications
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 02:57:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 02:57 UTC

I see messages on other forums that Android has a better notification
system than iOS. Since there are people here who use both operating systems
maybe you can tell me how Android’s notifications are better. In the
limited amount of experience I have with Android, I wasn’t able to notice
much difference.

Re: notifications

<up7hho$bpe7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12019&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12019

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: notifications
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 07:45:12 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 06:45 UTC

Am 29.01.24 um 03:57 schrieb badgolferman:
> I see messages on other forums that Android has a better notification
> system than iOS. Since there are people here who use both operating systems
> maybe you can tell me how Android’s notifications are better. In the
> limited amount of experience I have with Android, I wasn’t able to notice
> much difference.

I use a Pixel 7 and an iPhone 14.
To manage notifications is much much more complicated on the stock
Android than on iOS. And it is much more prone to mistakes and unwanted
behaviour. Perhaps there are users that appreciate the slightly higher
granularity of the possible settings. I don't.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: notifications

<up93ga$ofj$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12029&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12029

From: andrew@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:57:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:mBv12w1PUg/dia4jG9B/vP7FTFQ= sha256:9Qn2BZfDSmW9fSoK+X03snTQy9jIxWj5fh52EBAI9uo=
 by: Andrew - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:57 UTC

J�rg Lorenz wrote on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 07:45:12 +0100 :

>> I see messages on other forums that Android has a better notification
>> system than iOS. Since there are people here who use both operating systems
>> maybe you can tell me how Android's notifications are better. In the
>> limited amount of experience I have with Android, I wasn't able to notice
>> much difference.
>
> I use a Pixel 7 and an iPhone 14.
> To manage notifications is much much more complicated on the stock
> Android than on iOS. And it is much more prone to mistakes and unwanted
> behaviour. Perhaps there are users that appreciate the slightly higher
> granularity of the possible settings. I don't.

Android notifications have a level of control that goes from beginner to
expert, where what I like most is the easy access to the full summary.

From that reverse-sorted notification history, Android can see every
notification on a per-app basis which is really all I ever need.

However, Android allows one-to-one control of each apps so you can stifle
those apps which may be getting out of hand if they give spurious alerts.

If desired, one by one, you can list the apps in any order and choose which
are allowed to give you notifications for your personal or work profile.

For each app and for each profile you can set the sound or vibration, and
you can set whether they're allowed on the lock screen, and whether or not
they can set a badge (a little red number) or a popup notification.

If you allow lock-screen notifications, you can disable showing content.
And you can lump apps into notification categories for easier management.

You can set the notification popup style as brief or detailed for privacy.
You can enable floating notifications (ie bubbles).

And you can turn on or off the ability to suggest actions for each pop up
notification (and you can suggest replies for those that need it).

There's even a notification snooze button if you don't have time at the
moment to deal with the notification response.

For apps that give important notifications you don't want to miss, you can
even set notification reminders (although I don't know anyone using that).

You can set a notification do-not-disturb which can be timed to go back on
after a given time period or even to have notifications sleep overnight.

You can set a series of notification sounds, and even set a given
notification to that of a spoken speech-to-text wave file where all you do
is speak what you want spoken when the notification comes up.

You can even throw the notification from one device to another, although
again, I'm not sure who wants their notifications cast over to their TV.

For those who have nothing else to do, there are even "flash notifications"
built into Android which will flash the camera or screen when enabled.

I don't know what iOS has but probably it has all that as it's basic stuff.