Remember the good old days, when CPU was singular?

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

SubjectAuthor
* Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?sms
+- Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Bill Powell
+* Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Jörg Lorenz
|`* Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Alan Browne
| +* Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Enrico Papaloma
| |`- Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Alan Browne
| `* Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Hank Rogers
|  +* Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Sten deJoode
|  |+- Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Alan
|  |`- Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?sms
|  `* Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Alan Browne
|   `* Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Chris
|    `- Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Alan Browne
`* Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?badgolferman
 +- Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Jörg Lorenz
 +- Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Your Name
 `* Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?sms
  +- Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?badgolferman
  `- Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?Wolf Greenblatt

1
Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<upbk3f$14bh6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12041&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12041

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:53:20 -0800
 by: sms - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:53 UTC

Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

About three years ago there was a report that Apple was working on this
feature
<https://www.financialexpress.com/life/technology-apple-is-apparently-working-on-bringing-multiple-user-support-to-iphones-2156134/>
which has been on Android for many years.

It would be a really useful feature to have multiple user accounts on an
iPhone. I use this capability often on my Android phone and wish I could
use it on my iPhone as well.

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<upd739$kdpf$1@matrix.hispagatos.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12048&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12048

From: bill@anarchists.org (Bill Powell)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:23:37 +0100
 by: Bill Powell - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:23 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:53:20 -0800, sms wrote:

> Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?
>
> About three years ago there was a report that Apple was working on this
> feature
> <https://www.financialexpress.com/life/technology-apple-is-apparently-working-on-bringing-multiple-user-support-to-iphones-2156134/>
> which has been on Android for many years.
>
> It would be a really useful feature to have multiple user accounts on an
> iPhone. I use this capability often on my Android phone and wish I could
> use it on my iPhone as well.

Android has the concept of a profile such as a work & personal profile.
Is that the same as a user or are multiple users another level altogether?

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<upd8dl$1fa1e$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12049&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12049

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:46:13 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:46 UTC

Am 30.01.24 um 20:53 schrieb sms:
> Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

You do not understand anything.
An iPhone is a personal device.

> About three years ago there was a report that Apple was working on this
> feature
> <https://www.financialexpress.com/life/technology-apple-is-apparently-working-on-bringing-multiple-user-support-to-iphones-2156134/>
> which has been on Android for many years.

Who cares about Android and a feature that almost nobody useses.
Once more you are trying to start a flamewar, you idiot.

> It would be a really useful feature to have multiple user accounts on an
> iPhone. I use this capability often on my Android phone and wish I could
> use it on my iPhone as well.

*Troll*

It would not be useful at all. If it were a requirement by the market
Apple had introduced it long ago.

--
Sent with Bettterbird from an Intel-Mac running a Linux Mint (LMDE) with
Cinnamon Flavour. Simply better.

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<xn0ohh868rbryek000@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12051&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12051

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 15:37:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 15:37 UTC

sms wrote:

>Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?
>
>About three years ago there was a report that Apple was working on
>this feature
><https://www.financialexpress.com/life/technology-apple-is-apparently-
>working-on-bringing-multiple-user-support-to-iphones-2156134/> which
>has been on Android for many years.
>
>It would be a really useful feature to have multiple user accounts on
>an iPhone. I use this capability often on my Android phone and wish I
>could use it on my iPhone as well.

Other than a work and personal profile on the same phone, I'm not so
sure what this is good for. Do you share your phone with other people?

Speaking of a work profile, I carry a work iphone and personal iphone.
The work phone has MDM on it and supposedly the administrators can
perform many remote functions on the phone, including monitoring usage,
lost. On Android phones with this capability would an administrator be
able to monitor the personal profile as well?

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<upe1ot$1kemf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12052&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12052

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:58:53 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:58 UTC

Am 31.01.24 um 16:37 schrieb badgolferman:
> Speaking of a work profile, I carry a work iphone and personal iphone.
> The work phone has MDM on it and supposedly the administrators can
> perform many remote functions on the phone, including monitoring usage,
> lost.

+1; same here for more than a decade.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<upeav4$1m5s7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12054&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12054

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 09:35:48 +1300
 by: Your Name - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 20:35 UTC

On 2024-01-31 15:37:03 +0000, badgolferman said:

> sms wrote:
>
>> Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?
>>
>> About three years ago there was a report that Apple was working on
>> this feature
>> <https://www.financialexpress.com/life/technology-apple-is-apparently-
>> working-on-bringing-multiple-user-support-to-iphones-2156134/> which
>> has been on Android for many years.
>>
>> It would be a really useful feature to have multiple user accounts on
>> an iPhone. I use this capability often on my Android phone and wish I
>> could use it on my iPhone as well.
>
> Other than a work and personal profile on the same phone, I'm not so
> sure what this is good for. Do you share your phone with other people?

If you give your phone to your little kids to keep them occupied
playing games on it, then a second user profile with limitable access
could be handy. Multiple user profiles is probably more useful feature
on iPadOS though.

Rumouredly iOS 18 (and presumably iPadOS 18) is going to be "the
biggest update in iPhone history". What that means in reality remains
to be seen - it might include multiple user profiles, but is more
likely just the usual load of useless bloat "features" only ever used
by half a dozen geeks, rather than actually fixing any of the existing
bugs and inconsistencies. :-(

> Speaking of a work profile, I carry a work iphone and personal iphone.
> The work phone has MDM on it and supposedly the administrators can
> perform many remote functions on the phone, including monitoring usage,
> lost. On Android phones with this capability would an administrator be
> able to monitor the personal profile as well?

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<ooyuN.273751$Wp_8.212834@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12055&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12055

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 15:50:28 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 20:50 UTC

On 2024-01-31 05:46, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 30.01.24 um 20:53 schrieb sms:
>> Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?
>
> You do not understand anything.
> An iPhone is a personal device.

But is often used for both. I have one iPhone (paid for by my co.), but
I use it extensively for private use as well.

It would be nice if it had firewalled personal and business "sides" to
it segregating the two. (This is not a die hard requirement for me, but
for many people I know it is - indeed some carry two phones at pretty
much all times which is a PITA). I know others who have a personal and
business phone number on the same phone, which helps, but that doesn't
segregate personal/business things at the AppleID level.

Some companies are also very protective of the company side of
smartphones due to server, e-mail and text message access. For that
reason they issue phones to their employees for work only.

IIRC - Blackberry had a mode selection for personal and business with a
strict in device firewall between them.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<upefmt$n8t$1@news.gegeweb.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12056&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12056

From: enrico@papaloma.net (Enrico Papaloma)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 22:56:45 +0100
 by: Enrico Papaloma - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 21:56 UTC

On 1/31/2024 9:50 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> Blackberry had a mode selection for personal and business with a
> strict in device firewall between them.

With a little creative configuring, you can create totally separate work
and personal profiles on any Android phone.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3597994/how-to-better-separate-your-work-and-personal-life-on-android.html

An Android Work Profile can be set up on an Android device to separate work
apps and data from personal apps and data. With a Work Profile you can
securely and privately use the same device for work and personal purposes,
your organization manages your work apps and data while your personal apps,
data, and usage remain private.
https://support.google.com/work/android/answer/6191949

Another way to manage personal & work on a phone is to create users.
when you switch to a separate account, you will have a separate list of
installed apps, lock screen, separate partitioned storage, notification
settings, and more. It feels pretty much like setting up a new phone.
https://techwiser.com/ways-to-create-a-separate-profile-for-work-on-android/

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<_7AuN.205154$vFZa.63773@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12058&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12058

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 16:49:22 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 22:49 UTC

Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2024-01-31 05:46, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 30.01.24 um 20:53 schrieb sms:
>>> Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?
>>
>> You do not understand anything.
>> An iPhone is a personal device.
>
> But is often used for both.  I have one iPhone (paid for by my
> co.), but I use it extensively for private use as well.
>
> It would be nice if it had firewalled personal and business
> "sides" to it segregating the two.

Dammit, you're dense. Jughead has already told you that an
iphone is a PERSONAL device only. You just don't get it. It's
not part of the apple "ecosystem".

Jeeze. Steve is turning over in his grave.

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<upfpkj$opmt$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12070&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12070

From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 04:52:19 -0500
 by: Sten deJoode - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 09:52 UTC

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 16:49:22 -0600, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Dammit, you're dense. Jughead has already told you that an
> iphone is a PERSONAL device only. You just don't get it. It's
> not part of the apple "ecosystem".

Clearly, enterprise us of an iPhone is not needed.
Nobody wants to use an iPhone in the corporate world.

At least that's what the ghost of nospam would claim whenever thousands of
things iPhones can't do that Android easily does come up for discussion.

Apparently Apple terminated nospam's contract to contradict everything
truthful said on this newsgroup, leaving Jolly Roger to take his place.

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<EeNuN.274352$Wp_8.99558@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12071&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12071

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 08:44:04 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 13:44 UTC

On 2024-01-31 16:56, Enrico Papaloma wrote:
> On 1/31/2024 9:50 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>> Blackberry had a mode selection for personal and business with a
>> strict in device firewall between them.
>
> With a little creative configuring, you can create totally separate work
> and personal profiles on any Android phone.
> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3597994/how-to-better-separate-your-work-and-personal-life-on-android.html
>
> An Android Work Profile can be set up on an Android device to separate work
> apps and data from personal apps and data. With a Work Profile you can
> securely and privately use the same device for work and personal purposes,
> your organization manages your work apps and data while your personal apps,
> data, and usage remain private.
> https://support.google.com/work/android/answer/6191949
>
> Another way to manage personal & work on a phone is to create users.
> when you switch to a separate account, you will have a separate list of
> installed apps, lock screen, separate partitioned storage, notification
> settings, and more. It feels pretty much like setting up a new phone.
> https://techwiser.com/ways-to-create-a-separate-profile-for-work-on-android/

All very nice (I didn't dig in to see how far that goes), but I would
like to see such functionality on iOS. So it's an Apple issue.
Apple (OTOH) are individual focused - with some overlap where family is
concerned.

The last of the descriptions (above) is precisely what Apple could do in
a heartbeat (long beat mind you) using existing structure (eg: Macs can
have multiple users with common and individual apps; separate data for
those apps). There would remain the issue of phone number assignment to
sort out.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<EiNuN.274353$Wp_8.249815@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12072&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12072

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 08:48:20 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 13:48 UTC

On 2024-01-31 17:49, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:
>>>
>>> You do not understand anything.
>>> An iPhone is a personal device.
>>
>> But is often used for both.  I have one iPhone (paid for by my co.),
>> but I use it extensively for private use as well.
>>
>> It would be nice if it had firewalled personal and business "sides" to
>> it segregating the two.
>
> Dammit, you're dense. Jughead has already told you that an iphone is a
> PERSONAL device only. You just don't get it. It's not part of the apple
> "ecosystem".

Your perverse humour aside, this is something Apple could implement. I
agree Apple see things as "personal" devices, but if they want more
corporate appreciation, they should make it more corporately palatable.

To be sure, at companies I used to work for, using a personal device for
work would put severe limits on what that device could access. On the
flip side, using a business device for personal use would be frowned
upon - other than occasional e-mails/messages. Thus - a lot of people
carry two phones... a PITA at best.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<upgi20$25231$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12075&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12075

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 08:49:03 -0800
 by: Alan - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:49 UTC

On 2024-02-01 01:52, Sten deJoode wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 16:49:22 -0600, Hank Rogers wrote:
>
>> Dammit, you're dense. Jughead has already told you that an
>> iphone is a PERSONAL device only. You just don't get it. It's
>> not part of the apple "ecosystem".
>
> Clearly, enterprise us of an iPhone is not needed.
> Nobody wants to use an iPhone in the corporate world.

Clearly, you are delusional.

> At least that's what the ghost of nospam would claim whenever thousands of
> things iPhones can't do that Android easily does come up for discussion.
>
> Apparently Apple terminated nospam's contract to contradict everything
> truthful said on this newsgroup, leaving Jolly Roger to take his place.

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<upgrvn$270at$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12078&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12078

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 19:38:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:NrmjHXHgy7WVn5rdIsgq04e/9/g=
 by: Chris - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 19:38 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2024-01-31 17:49, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Alan Browne wrote:

>>> But is often used for both.  I have one iPhone (paid for by my co.),
>>> but I use it extensively for private use as well.
>>>
>>> It would be nice if it had firewalled personal and business "sides" to
>>> it segregating the two.
>>
>> Dammit, you're dense. Jughead has already told you that an iphone is a
>> PERSONAL device only. You just don't get it. It's not part of the apple
>> "ecosystem".
>
> Your perverse humour aside, this is something Apple could implement. I
> agree Apple see things as "personal" devices, but if they want more
> corporate appreciation, they should make it more corporately palatable.
>
> To be sure, at companies I used to work for, using a personal device for
> work would put severe limits on what that device could access. On the
> flip side, using a business device for personal use would be frowned
> upon - other than occasional e-mails/messages. Thus - a lot of people
> carry two phones... a PITA at best.

I wonder if it would have helped this guy? ;)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-67473221

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<Y5UuN.251663$Ama9.151133@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12080&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12080

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:32:40 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 21:32 UTC

On 2024-02-01 14:38, Chris wrote:

> I wonder if it would have helped this guy? ;)
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-67473221

Possibly.

Elected critters often feel entitled:

- to things taxpayers pay for
- to lie about things they should have paid for
- to be excused once they get caught and pay for it w/o further penalty

That said, I was in cattle class a bunch of years ago with a Canadian
senator (political appointee) sitting next to me. I asked why she
wasn't in business class (Montreal - Ft-Lauderdale - about 3.5 hours).
She replied that it was a personal trip and she was pinching pennies.
Nice old bird - very pleasant conversation with lighter tales of
backroom intrigue in the senate dealing with "the other side".

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<uph7p2$28uh4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12081&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12081

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:59:46 -0800
 by: sms - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 22:59 UTC

On 1/31/2024 7:37 AM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> Other than a work and personal profile on the same phone, I'm not so
> sure what this is good for. Do you share your phone with other people?

No, but there are times when I want the same app as a different user,
even though I'm the only person using the phone.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<uph7u5$28uh4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12082&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12082

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 15:02:29 -0800
 by: sms - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 23:02 UTC

On 2/1/2024 1:52 AM, Sten deJoode wrote:

<snip>

> Apparently Apple terminated nospam's contract to contradict everything
> truthful said on this newsgroup, leaving Jolly Roger to take his place.

LOL, I often wondered why "he who must not be named" did what he did. So
you're saying he was actually being paid to state "that what was not so."

I wonder what happened to him. I don't wish anything bad to happen to
our favorite trolls but it's nice when they leave.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not
indoctrination nor elitism. It's just that you don't know as much as
they do about the subject.”—Tin Foil Awards

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<xn0ohkdfct7ltsc00a@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12083&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12083

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 23:15:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 23:15 UTC

sms wrote:

>On 1/31/2024 7:37 AM, badgolferman wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>Other than a work and personal profile on the same phone, I'm not so
>>sure what this is good for. Do you share your phone with other
>>people?
>
>No, but there are times when I want the same app as a different user,
>even though I'm the only person using the phone.

Like for sockpuppet purposes?

Re: Any progress on iOS allowing multiple users?

<upi4ml$804c$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12084&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12084

From: wolf@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 02:13:25 -0500
logging-data="262284"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 07:13 UTC

On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:59:46 -0800, sms wrote:

>> Other than a work and personal profile on the same phone, I'm not so
>> sure what this is good for. Do you share your phone with other people?
>
> No, but there are times when I want the same app as a different user,
> even though I'm the only person using the phone.

A classic example is your camera app, where you may have work photos and
personal photos so you want to keep them separated using the same app.

On Android you can not only keep them separated but when you automatically
sync them back to the computer you can have the work profile automatically
sync with the work computer whenever the phone sees the work wifi ap.

And whenever your phone sees your home wifi, it can automatically sync the
personal photos with your personal computer on any platform (not just mac).
https://syncthing.net/downloads/

While syncthing works on Android & all the desktops (including the mac)
https://visitsteve.com/news/studio-log/installing-syncthing-on-os-x-macos/
it's iOS that can't allow the multiple users & the iOS syncthing freeware.

It's one more of many useful capabilities available on everything but iOS.