"Lead us in a few words of silent prayer." -- Bill Peterson, former Houston Oiler football coach

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / HELP. iPhone "Driving on" & "Driving off" question

SubjectAuthor
* HELP. iPhone "Driving on" & "Driving off" questionBill Powell
+* Re: HELP. iPhone "Driving on" & "Driving off" questionYour Name
|`- Re: HELP. iPhone "Driving on" & "Driving off" questionAlan Browne
`- Re: HELP. iPhone "Driving on" & "Driving off" questionJolly Roger

1
HELP. iPhone "Driving on" & "Driving off" question

<upkmrp$o8qf$1@matrix.hispagatos.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12100&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12100

From: bill@anarchists.org (Bill Powell)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: HELP. iPhone "Driving on" & "Driving off" question
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 07:35:36 +0100
 by: Bill Powell - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 06:35 UTC

I just got this text from my mother who doesn't know much about cars.
I don't use an iPhone. I only have an Android phone. Can you help here?

"Here is another question. I have my Bluetooth on my phone, which l use
when l am in my car to talk hand-free.

I have no idea if that has anything to do with this question and concern.

When I am in my car, with my phone, and l start the car, I get a message on
my phone they says "Driving".

So here is my concern. Sometimes, like just now, I get a message on my
phone that says "Car on" and then "Car off".

Well, I think it says "Driving on" and "Driving Off", but I can't remember
exactly.

It just happened and I have no idea why it happens.

The first few times I thought the car was stolen and I ran to check. It was
still there, thankfully.

Any idea why I keep getting these messages when I am not in the car?"

Re: HELP. iPhone "Driving on" & "Driving off" question

<upkplm$31lpg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12101&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12101

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: HELP. iPhone "Driving on" & "Driving off" question
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:23:34 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 07:23 UTC

On 2024-02-03 06:35:36 +0000, Bill Powell said:

> I just got this text from my mother who doesn't know much about cars.
> I don't use an iPhone. I only have an Android phone. Can you help here?
>
> "Here is another question. I have my Bluetooth on my phone, which l use
> when l am in my car to talk hand-free.
>
> I have no idea if that has anything to do with this question and concern.
>
> When I am in my car, with my phone, and l start the car, I get a message on
> my phone they says "Driving".
>
> So here is my concern. Sometimes, like just now, I get a message on my
> phone that says "Car on" and then "Car off".
>
> Well, I think it says "Driving on" and "Driving Off", but I can't remember
> exactly.
>
> It just happened and I have no idea why it happens.
> The first few times I thought the car was stolen and I ran to check. It was
> still there, thankfully.
>
> Any idea why I keep getting these messages when I am not in the car?"

Just turn off "the Driving" option in Settings > Focus > Driving

I don't know why there's a need ot add yet another useless "feature" to
iOS. If people haven't got enough willpower and / or intelligence to
simply ignore their cellphone while driving, they shouldn't be allowed
to drive in the first place.

Re: HELP. iPhone "Driving on" & "Driving off" question

<q%svN.86425$m4d.42287@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12108&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12108

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:31:34 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:31 UTC

On 2024-02-03 02:23, Your Name wrote:

> I don't know why there's a need ot add yet another useless "feature" to
> iOS. If people haven't got enough willpower and / or intelligence to
> simply ignore their cellphone while driving, they shouldn't be allowed
> to drive in the first place.

More unfounded prejudicial judgement from Your Name.

While I don't like to use my phone for voice calls while driving, it is
on occasion necessary - so for brief, action oriented calls - useful.

Further of course, the use of an iPhone in a car goes far beyond the
"phone" function, esp. where CarPlay is concerned.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: HELP. iPhone "Driving on" & "Driving off" question

<l27i6qFgnmuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12114&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12114

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 3 Feb 2024 19:24:10 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:24 UTC

On 2024-02-03, Bill Powell <bill@anarchists.org> wrote:
> I just got this text from my mother who doesn't know much about cars.
> I don't use an iPhone. I only have an Android phone. Can you help
> here?
>
> "Here is another question. I have my Bluetooth on my phone, which l
> use when l am in my car to talk hand-free.
>
> I have no idea if that has anything to do with this question and
> concern.
>
> When I am in my car, with my phone, and l start the car, I get a
> message on my phone they says "Driving".
>
> So here is my concern. Sometimes, like just now, I get a message on my
> phone that says "Car on" and then "Car off".
>
> Well, I think it says "Driving on" and "Driving Off", but I can't
> remember exactly.
>
> It just happened and I have no idea why it happens.
>
> The first few times I thought the car was stolen and I ran to check.
> It was still there, thankfully.
>
> Any idea why I keep getting these messages when I am not in the car?"

Well, let's see. We are on the internet, so surely we can find the
information you need quickly. I'll just search for "apple iphone
driving" and see what comes up...

Sure enough, the very first search result is to Apple's official website
with a page that tells you all about this feature. 😉

JR