From: sniffer@dewberryfields.co.uk (Sniffer)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Subject: Iyonix - Soundblaster
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 11:07:51 +0000
 by: Sniffer - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 11:07 UTC

Seasons greetings All,

I asked this question on the RISCOS Open forum but got no response so I
thought I'd try here on the off chance.

Is anybody aware of any driver software/module etc to facilitate the use
of a pci SoundBlaster card on an Iyo? My Iyo has no sound whatsoever and
I seem to recall it was possible to use a SB card with the Iyo but for
the life of me, I can't find anything definitive.

Re: Iyonix - Soundblaster

<gVh*65Wyz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1217&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#1217

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Subject: Re: Iyonix - Soundblaster
Date: 27 Dec 2023 14:51:22 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:51 UTC

Sniffer <sniffer@dewberryfields.co.uk> wrote:
> Seasons greetings All,
>
> I asked this question on the RISCOS Open forum but got no response so I
> thought I'd try here on the off chance.
>
> Is anybody aware of any driver software/module etc to facilitate the use
> of a pci SoundBlaster card on an Iyo? My Iyo has no sound whatsoever and
> I seem to recall it was possible to use a SB card with the Iyo but for
> the life of me, I can't find anything definitive.

Supposedly there was:
"Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI sound card for Iyonix (S/H)"
https://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/individual/newprodpages/prodinfo.php?prodcode=CRE-SB05700SH

But it helpfully says: "Iyonix drivers available from: ?"

I'm not sure if that's Chris selling it 'optimistically' as I don't remember
them (PCI TV drivers did exist). I can find some references to Soundblaster
audio on the RiscPC PC Card, but that's different.

You can also use USB audio devices:
https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/USB%20sound%20and%20sound%20in%20general
https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/2051?page=1
but I'm not clear how good support is for just regular audio output, rather
than via special apps.

Theo

Re: Iyonix - Soundblaster

<umhflv$3tmpl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1218&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#1218

From: sniffer@dewberryfields.co.uk (Sniffer)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 15:25:51 +0000
 by: Sniffer - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 15:25 UTC

On 27/12/2023 14:51, Theo wrote:
> Sniffer <sniffer@dewberryfields.co.uk> wrote:
>> Seasons greetings All,
>>
>> I asked this question on the RISCOS Open forum but got no response so I
>> thought I'd try here on the off chance.
>>
>> Is anybody aware of any driver software/module etc to facilitate the use
>> of a pci SoundBlaster card on an Iyo? My Iyo has no sound whatsoever and
>> I seem to recall it was possible to use a SB card with the Iyo but for
>> the life of me, I can't find anything definitive.
>
> Supposedly there was:
> "Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI sound card for Iyonix (S/H)"
> https://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/individual/newprodpages/prodinfo.php?prodcode=CRE-SB05700SH
>
> But it helpfully says: "Iyonix drivers available from: ?"
>
> I'm not sure if that's Chris selling it 'optimistically' as I don't remember
> them (PCI TV drivers did exist). I can find some references to Soundblaster
> audio on the RiscPC PC Card, but that's different.
>
> You can also use USB audio devices:
> https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/USB%20sound%20and%20sound%20in%20general
> https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/2051?page=1
> but I'm not clear how good support is for just regular audio output, rather
> than via special apps.
>
> Theo

Ok, thanks Theo. The ROSS document looks like a good read.

I'm probably mis-remembering with respect to PCI cards.

--

Re: Iyonix - Soundblaster

<umjqv3$clu4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1219&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#1219

From: news@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 12:50:43 +0000
 by: druck - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 12:50 UTC

On 27/12/2023 11:07, Sniffer wrote:
> Seasons greetings All,
>
> I asked this question on the RISCOS Open forum but got no response so I
> thought I'd try here on the off chance.
>
> Is anybody aware of any driver software/module etc to facilitate the use
> of a pci SoundBlaster card on an Iyo? My Iyo has no sound whatsoever and
> I seem to recall it was possible to use a SB card with the Iyo but for
> the life of me, I can't find anything definitive.

I know some work was done on USB audio, but I think it was only input.

---druck

Re: Iyonix - Soundblaster

<5b1a08b1e9Spambin@argonet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1220&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#1220

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 23 21:45:09 UTC
From: Spambin@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
 by: Stuart - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 21:45 UTC

In article <umjqv3$clu4$1@dont-email.me>,
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
> On 27/12/2023 11:07, Sniffer wrote:
> > Seasons greetings All,
> >
> > I asked this question on the RISCOS Open forum but got no response so
> > I thought I'd try here on the off chance.
> >
> > Is anybody aware of any driver software/module etc to facilitate the
> > use of a pci SoundBlaster card on an Iyo? My Iyo has no sound
> > whatsoever and I seem to recall it was possible to use a SB card with
> > the Iyo but for the life of me, I can't find anything definitive.

> I know some work was done on USB audio, but I think it was only input.

Jim LeSurf has done a lot of work on USB audio but this would probably be
primarily on later machines/versions of Risc OS.

See

https://www.audiomisc.co.uk/USB/ScopePlus.html

and particularly

https://www.audiomisc.co.uk/software/index.html

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Iyonix - Soundblaster

<umpdhe$1an3r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=1221&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#1221

From: sniffer@dewberryfields.co.uk (Sniffer)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 15:38:22 +0000
 by: Sniffer - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 15:38 UTC

On 27/12/2023 14:51, Theo wrote:
> Sniffer <sniffer@dewberryfields.co.uk> wrote:
>> Seasons greetings All,
>>
>> I asked this question on the RISCOS Open forum but got no response so I
>> thought I'd try here on the off chance.
>>
>> Is anybody aware of any driver software/module etc to facilitate the use
>> of a pci SoundBlaster card on an Iyo? My Iyo has no sound whatsoever and
>> I seem to recall it was possible to use a SB card with the Iyo but for
>> the life of me, I can't find anything definitive.
>
> Supposedly there was:
> "Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI sound card for Iyonix (S/H)"
> https://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/individual/newprodpages/prodinfo.php?prodcode=CRE-SB05700SH
>
> But it helpfully says: "Iyonix drivers available from: ?"
>
> I'm not sure if that's Chris selling it 'optimistically' as I don't remember
> them (PCI TV drivers did exist). I can find some references to Soundblaster
> audio on the RiscPC PC Card, but that's different.
>
> You can also use USB audio devices:
> https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/USB%20sound%20and%20sound%20in%20general
> https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/2051?page=1
> but I'm not clear how good support is for just regular audio output, rather
> than via special apps.

I got a response on the RISCOS Open forum and was provided with a couple
of archives. It turns out I already had one of them, i.e. an app file
named sblive_play. Funny how age dims ones memory!

This app does actually play audio files (used a wav as a test) on the
Iyo and the sound is output through the SoundBlaster card, which is great.

Is there a way on the Iyo to select, system wide, an audio device? Using
the 'Sound' configuration you can select/change various options but a
device isn't one of them. Maybe a module config option?

Other than that I guess it must be possible to write something, as
module, to direct system sounds to the pci card?

Mike.