From: bill@anarchists.org (Bill Powell)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: More cores - iPhone 16 - A18
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 15:25:23 +0100
 by: Bill Powell - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:25 UTC

The article outlines the rumors for more cores in the iPhone 16 A18.
https://www.macrumors.com/2024/02/14/iphone-16-upgraded-neural-engine-rumor/

Neural Engine history for iPhones:
2-core Neural Engine in the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X
8-core Neural Engine in the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR
8-core Neural Engine in the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max
16-core Neural Engine in all iPhone 12 models
16-core Neural Engine in all iPhone 13 models
16-core Neural Engine in all iPhone 14 models
16-core Neural Engine in all iPhone 15 models

The short article used the words "neural engine" 16 times.
Which indicates it's very important to Apple.

But what does "neural engine" mean?

Re: More cores - iPhone 16 - A18

<ZJpzN.359283$xHn7.105159@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12301&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12301

Subject: Re: More cores - iPhone 16 - A18
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 10:04:25 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 15:04 UTC

On 2024-02-15 09:25, Bill Powell wrote:
> The article outlines the rumors for more cores in the iPhone 16 A18.
> https://www.macrumors.com/2024/02/14/iphone-16-upgraded-neural-engine-rumor/
>
> Neural Engine history for iPhones:
> 2-core Neural Engine in the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X
> 8-core Neural Engine in the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR
> 8-core Neural Engine in the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max
> 16-core Neural Engine in all iPhone 12 models
> 16-core Neural Engine in all iPhone 13 models
> 16-core Neural Engine in all iPhone 14 models
> 16-core Neural Engine in all iPhone 15 models
>
> The short article used the words "neural engine" 16 times.
> Which indicates it's very important to Apple.
>
> But what does "neural engine" mean?

It can mean many things related to machine learning, but in Apple
context is a product name for machine learning, AI functions, etc.

There's an article here (that I did not read in full), but should give
you the gist:
https://apple.fandom.com/wiki/Neural_Engine

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.