Statistics means never having to say you're certain.

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

SubjectAuthor
* Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in ricebadgolferman
`* Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in riceHank Rogers
 +- Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in riceAlan
 +* Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in riceJohn Gardner
 |`* Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in riceYour Name
 | `* Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in ricebadgolferman
 |  +- Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in riceAlan
 |  +* Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in ricesms
 |  |`* Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in ricebadgolferman
 |  | `* Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in ricesms
 |  |  +- Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in riceAlan
 |  |  `* Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in riceHank Rogers
 |  |   `* Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice*Hemidactylus*
 |  |    `- Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in riceYour Name
 |  `- Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in riceJolly Roger
 `* Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in riceAlan Browne
  +* Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice*Hemidactylus*
  |`- Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in riceAlan Browne
  `- Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in ricebadgolferman

1
Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<xn0oi0y1lagkyjo001@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12276&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12276

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 16:50:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 16:50 UTC

Apple has warned customers not to chuck their iPhones in rice if they
get wet.

Water in your phone can cause all manner of issues, ranging from blurry
photos if the moisture is trapped in the camera lens, muffled or no
audio, an inability to charge or - worst case - a complete lack of
functionality.

And if you’ve ever had the misfortune of dropping your iPhone into
water, you may have assumed the best thing to do is put it in a bowl of
uncooked rice to help dry it out.

However, Apple actually strongly warns against this and says lashing
your phone in rice to dry out could do more harm than good.

If your phone does get wet, your iPhone may flash up with a
liquid-detection alert, which means that the device has detected liquid
in the lightning or USB-C connector, or on the cable or accessory
itself.

To protect your phone from damage, you won’t be able to use the
accessory or charge the phone until the connector, cable and accessory
are dry.

On its website, Apple warns: “If you charge your iPhone while the
Lightning or USB-C connector is wet, the pins on the connector or cable
can corrode and cause permanent damage or stop functioning, causing
connectivity issues for your iPhone or accessory.”

Not ideal, right?

So what should you do? Well, firstly, resist the urge to dig out a bag
of rice from your cupboard as Apple says this could make matters worse.

“Don't put your iPhone in a bag of rice,” Apple’s website states.
“Doing so could allow small particles of rice to damage your iPhone.”

It also tells customers not to attempt drying their iPhone using an
external heat source or compressed air; and not to insert a foreign
object, such as a cotton bud or a paper towel, into the connector.

Instead, Apple recommends that you tap your iPhone gently against your
hand with the connector facing down to remove excess liquid.

You should then leave your iPhone in a dry area with some airflow for
at least half an hour before trying to use the charger or connecting
accessory.

If the same warning flashes up, place your iPhone back in a dry place
with some airflow. Apple notes that it can take up to 24-hours to fully
dry out.

If you follow the above advice, your iPhone should dry out and normal
functionality should soon return.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/technology/apple-iphone-warning-wet-rice-148662-20240211

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<kGTyN.323717$7sbb.204862@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12281&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12281

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 18:19:21 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 00:19 UTC

badgolferman wrote:
> Apple has warned customers not to chuck their iPhones in rice if they
> get wet.
>
> Water in your phone can cause all manner of issues, ranging from blurry
> photos if the moisture is trapped in the camera lens, muffled or no
> audio, an inability to charge or - worst case - a complete lack of
> functionality.
>
> And if you’ve ever had the misfortune of dropping your iPhone into
> water, you may have assumed the best thing to do is put it in a bowl of
> uncooked rice to help dry it out.
>
> However, Apple actually strongly warns against this and says lashing
> your phone in rice to dry out could do more harm than good.
>
> If your phone does get wet, your iPhone may flash up with a
> liquid-detection alert, which means that the device has detected liquid
> in the lightning or USB-C connector, or on the cable or accessory
> itself.
>
> To protect your phone from damage, you won’t be able to use the
> accessory or charge the phone until the connector, cable and accessory
> are dry.
>
> On its website, Apple warns: “If you charge your iPhone while the
> Lightning or USB-C connector is wet, the pins on the connector or cable
> can corrode and cause permanent damage or stop functioning, causing
> connectivity issues for your iPhone or accessory.”
>
> Not ideal, right?
>
> So what should you do? Well, firstly, resist the urge to dig out a bag
> of rice from your cupboard as Apple says this could make matters worse.
>
> “Don't put your iPhone in a bag of rice,” Apple’s website states.
> “Doing so could allow small particles of rice to damage your iPhone.”
>
> It also tells customers not to attempt drying their iPhone using an
> external heat source or compressed air; and not to insert a foreign
> object, such as a cotton bud or a paper towel, into the connector.
>
> Instead, Apple recommends that you tap your iPhone gently against your
> hand with the connector facing down to remove excess liquid.
>
> You should then leave your iPhone in a dry area with some airflow for
> at least half an hour before trying to use the charger or connecting
> accessory.
>
> If the same warning flashes up, place your iPhone back in a dry place
> with some airflow. Apple notes that it can take up to 24-hours to fully
> dry out.
>
> If you follow the above advice, your iPhone should dry out and normal
> functionality should soon return.
>

> https://www.ladbible.com/news/technology/apple-iphone-warning-wet-rice-148662-20240211

I thought iphones were waterproof down to a certain
level/pressure. I must have misunderstood, or maybe it was just
sales propaganda.

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<uqh5el$2b8fo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12283&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12283

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:36:19 -0800
 by: Alan - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 01:36 UTC

On 2024-02-13 16:19, Hank Rogers wrote:
> badgolferman wrote:
>> Apple has warned customers not to chuck their iPhones in rice if they
>> get wet.
>>
>> Water in your phone can cause all manner of issues, ranging from blurry
>> photos if the moisture is trapped in the camera lens, muffled or no
>> audio, an inability to charge or - worst case - a complete lack of
>> functionality.
>>
>> And if you’ve ever had the misfortune of dropping your iPhone into
>> water, you may have assumed the best thing to do is put it in a bowl of
>> uncooked rice to help dry it out.
>>
>> However, Apple actually strongly warns against this and says lashing
>> your phone in rice to dry out could do more harm than good.
>>
>> If your phone does get wet, your iPhone may flash up with a
>> liquid-detection alert, which means that the device has detected liquid
>> in the lightning or USB-C connector, or on the cable or accessory
>> itself.
>>
>> To protect your phone from damage, you won’t be able to use the
>> accessory or charge the phone until the connector, cable and accessory
>> are dry.
>>
>> On its website, Apple warns: “If you charge your iPhone while the
>> Lightning or USB-C connector is wet, the pins on the connector or cable
>> can corrode and cause permanent damage or stop functioning, causing
>> connectivity issues for your iPhone or accessory.”
>>
>> Not ideal, right?
>>
>> So what should you do? Well, firstly, resist the urge to dig out a bag
>> of rice from your cupboard as Apple says this could make matters worse.
>>
>> “Don't put your iPhone in a bag of rice,” Apple’s website states.
>> “Doing so could allow small particles of rice to damage your iPhone.”
>>
>> It also tells customers not to attempt drying their iPhone using an
>> external heat source or compressed air; and not to insert a foreign
>> object, such as a cotton bud or a paper towel, into the connector.
>>
>> Instead, Apple recommends that you tap your iPhone gently against your
>> hand with the connector facing down to remove excess liquid.
>>
>> You should then leave your iPhone in a dry area with some airflow for
>> at least half an hour before trying to use the charger or connecting
>> accessory.
>>
>> If the same warning flashes up, place your iPhone back in a dry place
>> with some airflow. Apple notes that it can take up to 24-hours to fully
>> dry out.
>>
>> If you follow the above advice, your iPhone should dry out and normal
>> functionality should soon return.
>>

>> https://www.ladbible.com/news/technology/apple-iphone-warning-wet-rice-148662-20240211
>>

> I thought iphones were waterproof down to a certain level/pressure. I
> must have misunderstood, or maybe it was just sales propaganda.

How does the one contradict the other?

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<l32li3Fda5vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12284&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12284

From: usenet@gardner.host (John Gardner)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 14 Feb 2024 02:06:59 GMT
 by: John Gardner - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 02:06 UTC

Hank Rogers <hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> I thought iphones were waterproof down to a certain
> level/pressure. I must have misunderstood, or maybe it was just
> sales propaganda.

The time I dropped my phone into the pool leads me to believe they are.
Your mileage may vary depending on how old the phone is (and how shonky was
the battery replacement you may have had.)

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<uqhgii$2gm7u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12286&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12286

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 17:46:11 +1300
 by: Your Name - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:46 UTC

On 2024-02-14 02:06:59 +0000, John Gardner said:
> Hank Rogers <hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> I thought iphones were waterproof down to a certain
>> level/pressure. I must have misunderstood, or maybe it was just
>> sales propaganda.
>
> The time I dropped my phone into the pool leads me to believe they are.
> Your mileage may vary depending on how old the phone is (and how shonky was
> the battery replacement you may have had.)

The iPhone is water resistant, but that doesn't mean the connector (or
even the insides) can't get wet. You simply have to make sure it's
completely dry before using it again.

Same with pretty much every other water resistant device on the planet.

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<uqi8rm$4a21$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12287&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12287

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:40:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:40 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2024-02-14 02:06:59 +0000, John Gardner said:
>> Hank Rogers <hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought iphones were waterproof down to a certain
>>> level/pressure. I must have misunderstood, or maybe it was just
>>> sales propaganda.
>>
>> The time I dropped my phone into the pool leads me to believe they are.
>> Your mileage may vary depending on how old the phone is (and how shonky was
>> the battery replacement you may have had.)
>
> The iPhone is water resistant, but that doesn't mean the connector (or
> even the insides) can't get wet. You simply have to make sure it's
> completely dry before using it again.
>
> Same with pretty much every other water resistant device on the planet.

Given that IP68 rating means they can be submerged in 6 meters of water for
30 minutes and still survive, how do the insides get wet?

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<Xn3zN.329018$PuZ9.4388@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12288&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12288

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:39:03 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:39 UTC

On 2024-02-13 19:19, Hank Rogers wrote:

>> https://www.ladbible.com/news/technology/apple-iphone-warning-wet-rice-148662-20240211
>>

> I thought iphones were waterproof down to a certain level/pressure. I

Apple claim water resistant per various IP ratings (depending on model/
year).

> must have misunderstood, or maybe it was just sales propaganda.

You certainly confused "water resistant" with "water proof".

Independent tests show various iPhones exceeding their IP rating by a
wide margin to the point where - for brief immersions (hours) they could
be considered water proof. Many of these tests put the iPhones at
deeper depths for longer than 30 minutes. iPhones come out fine with
the exception of the speakers sounding muddled until they completely dry
out.

But the issue above seems to be on the exposed metal parts (connector)
which could still have water in them and that should be dry before
charging (insert whatever the current version of "duh" is). And the
iPhones go so far as to warn the user. Neat!

IOW : The whole post is a nothing burger from a nothing burger poster.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<uqilo4$2mmc1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12289&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12289

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 07:20:36 -0800
 by: Alan - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 15:20 UTC

On 2024-02-14 03:40, badgolferman wrote:
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> The time I dropped my phone into the pool leads me to believe they are.
>>> Your mileage may vary depending on how old the phone is (and how shonky was
>>> the battery replacement you may have had.)
>>
>> The iPhone is water resistant, but that doesn't mean the connector (or
>> even the insides) can't get wet. You simply have to make sure it's
>> completely dry before using it again.
>>
>> Same with pretty much every other water resistant device on the planet.
>>

> Given that IP68 rating means they can be submerged in 6 meters of water for
> 30 minutes and still survive, how do the insides get wet?

Given that you're completely out to lunch on what the IP68 rating means...

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<orKdnYCcQvGQflH4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12290&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12290

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: ecphoric@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 15:58:05 +0000
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 15:58 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2024-02-13 19:19, Hank Rogers wrote:
>

>>> https://www.ladbible.com/news/technology/apple-iphone-warning-wet-rice-148662-20240211
>>>

>> I thought iphones were waterproof down to a certain level/pressure. I
>
> Apple claim water resistant per various IP ratings (depending on model/
> year).
>
>> must have misunderstood, or maybe it was just sales propaganda.
>
> You certainly confused "water resistant" with "water proof".
>
> Independent tests show various iPhones exceeding their IP rating by a
> wide margin to the point where - for brief immersions (hours) they could
> be considered water proof. Many of these tests put the iPhones at
> deeper depths for longer than 30 minutes. iPhones come out fine with
> the exception of the speakers sounding muddled until they completely dry
> out.
>
> But the issue above seems to be on the exposed metal parts (connector)
> which could still have water in them and that should be dry before
> charging (insert whatever the current version of "duh" is). And the
> iPhones go so far as to warn the user. Neat!
>
> IOW : The whole post is a nothing burger from a nothing burger poster.

I’ve managed to not immerse my iPhone so far.

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<uqj0g1$2osvr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12291&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12291

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:24:01 -0800
 by: sms - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:24 UTC

On 2/14/2024 3:40 AM, badgolferman wrote:
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> The time I dropped my phone into the pool leads me to believe they are.
>>> Your mileage may vary depending on how old the phone is (and how shonky was
>>> the battery replacement you may have had.)
>>
>> The iPhone is water resistant, but that doesn't mean the connector (or
>> even the insides) can't get wet. You simply have to make sure it's
>> completely dry before using it again.
>>
>> Same with pretty much every other water resistant device on the planet.
>>

> Given that IP68 rating means they can be submerged in 6 meters of water for
> 30 minutes and still survive, how do the insides get wet?

My wife's IP68 rated Moto X4 fell in the pool once while she was
gardening. I dove in an retrieved it after about one minute. It was fine.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<xn0oi2fpoc07zcc004@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12292&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12292

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:48:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:48 UTC

sms wrote:

>>>The iPhone is water resistant, but that doesn't mean the
>>>connector (or even the insides) can't get wet. You simply have to
>>>make sure it's completely dry before using it again.
>>>
>>>Same with pretty much every other water resistant device on the
>>>planet.
>>>

>>Given that IP68 rating means they can be submerged in 6 meters of
>>water for 30 minutes and still survive, how do the insides get wet?
>
>My wife's IP68 rated Moto X4 fell in the pool once while she was
>gardening. I dove in an retrieved it after about one minute. It was
>fine.

I'm sure you're right, but I was responding to Your Name's claim that
even the insides can get wet.

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<iW7zN.80124$SyNd.50335@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12293&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12293

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:48:46 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:48 UTC

On 2024-02-14 10:58, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

>>> I thought iphones were waterproof down to a certain level/pressure. I
>>
>> Apple claim water resistant per various IP ratings (depending on model/
>> year).
>>
>>> must have misunderstood, or maybe it was just sales propaganda.
>>
>> You certainly confused "water resistant" with "water proof".
>>
>> Independent tests show various iPhones exceeding their IP rating by a
>> wide margin to the point where - for brief immersions (hours) they could
>> be considered water proof. Many of these tests put the iPhones at
>> deeper depths for longer than 30 minutes. iPhones come out fine with
>> the exception of the speakers sounding muddled until they completely dry
>> out.
>>
>> But the issue above seems to be on the exposed metal parts (connector)
>> which could still have water in them and that should be dry before
>> charging (insert whatever the current version of "duh" is). And the
>> iPhones go so far as to warn the user. Neat!
>>
>> IOW : The whole post is a nothing burger from a nothing burger poster.
>>
> I’ve managed to not immerse my iPhone so far.

Likewise, but it's a possible accident, esp. around the pool, so nice to
know these phones (and Watches) provide a very good margin of protection.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<xn0oi2fqxc09tzn005@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12294&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12294

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:49:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:49 UTC

Alan Browne wrote:

>On 2024-02-13 19:19, Hank Rogers wrote:
>

>>>https://www.ladbible.com/news/technology/apple-iphone-warning-wet-rice-148662-20240211
>>>

>>I thought iphones were waterproof down to a certain level/pressure.
>
>Apple claim water resistant per various IP ratings (depending on
>model/ year).
>
>>must have misunderstood, or maybe it was just sales propaganda.
>
>You certainly confused "water resistant" with "water proof".
>
>Independent tests show various iPhones exceeding their IP rating by a
>wide margin to the point where - for brief immersions (hours) they
>could be considered water proof. Many of these tests put the iPhones
>at deeper depths for longer than 30 minutes. iPhones come out fine
>with the exception of the speakers sounding muddled until they
>completely dry out.
>
>But the issue above seems to be on the exposed metal parts
>(connector) which could still have water in them and that should be
>dry before charging (insert whatever the current version of "duh"
>is). And the iPhones go so far as to warn the user. Neat!
>
>IOW : The whole post is a nothing burger from a nothing burger poster.

I guess that means Apple official announcements are "nothing burgers"
too...

--
"Things are more like they are now than they have ever been." ~
President Gerald Ford

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<l34jk5Fnm7qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12295&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12295

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 14 Feb 2024 19:46:13 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 19:46 UTC

On 2024-02-14, badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> The time I dropped my phone into the pool leads me to believe they
>>> are. Your mileage may vary depending on how old the phone is (and
>>> how shonky was the battery replacement you may have had.)
>>
>> The iPhone is water resistant, but that doesn't mean the connector
>> (or even the insides) can't get wet. You simply have to make sure
>> it's completely dry before using it again.
>>
>> Same with pretty much every other water resistant device on the
>> planet.
>
> Given that IP68 rating means they can be submerged in 6 meters of
> water for 30 minutes and still survive, how do the insides get wet?

The standard common sense boilerplate naturally applies:

"Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and
resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear."

Apple's recommendations:

To prevent liquid damage, avoid:

- Swimming or bathing with your iPhone

- Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such
as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing,
and so on

- Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room

- Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water

- Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in
extremely humid conditions

- Dropping your iPhone or subjecting it to other impacts

- Disassembling your iPhone, including removing screws

Minimize exposing your iPhone to soap, detergent, acids or acidic foods,
and any liquids — for example, perfume, insect repellent, lotions,
sunscreen, oil, adhesive remover, hair dye, and solvents. If your iPhone
comes into contact with any of these substances, follow the instructions
to clean your iPhone.

JR

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<uqje6f$2rdqp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12296&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12296

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 14:17:51 -0800
 by: sms - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 22:17 UTC

On 2/14/2024 10:48 AM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> I'm sure you're right, but I was responding to Your Name's claim that
> even the insides can get wet.

Sorry, I don't see his posts. But no, the insides don't get wet on an
IP68 phone, at least they are not supposed to.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not
indoctrination nor elitism. It's just that you don't know as much as
they do about the subject.”—Tin Foil Awards

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<uqjedv$2rfuv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12297&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12297

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 14:21:49 -0800
 by: Alan - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 22:21 UTC

On 2024-02-14 14:17, sms wrote:
> On 2/14/2024 10:48 AM, badgolferman wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I'm sure you're right, but I was responding to Your Name's claim that
>> even the insides can get wet.
>
> Sorry, I don't see his posts. But no, the insides don't get wet on an
> IP68 phone, at least they are not supposed to.

But the contacts in the ports most certainly do.

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<WJbzN.432236$p%Mb.377829@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12298&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12298

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 17:08:36 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 23:08 UTC

sms wrote:
> On 2/14/2024 10:48 AM, badgolferman wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I'm sure you're right, but I was responding to Your Name's
>> claim that
>> even the insides can get wet.
>
> Sorry, I don't see his posts. But no, the insides don't get wet
> on an IP68 phone, at least they are not supposed to.

Just wait a while, and allen brown or jughead lorenz will be
here to set you strait.

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<D4ScnWKmsJlgrE34nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12324&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12324

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: ecphoric@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 04:11:41 +0000
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 04:11 UTC

Hank Rogers <hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> sms wrote:
>> On 2/14/2024 10:48 AM, badgolferman wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I'm sure you're right, but I was responding to Your Name's
>>> claim that
>>> even the insides can get wet.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't see his posts. But no, the insides don't get wet
>> on an IP68 phone, at least they are not supposed to.
>>

> Just wait a while, and allen brown or jughead lorenz will be
> here to set you strait.

Dire Strait? You are sad:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/set%2Fput%20someone%20straight

Re: Apple issues official warning against putting your phone in rice

<uqphif$9jrs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12329&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12329

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:52:16 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 05:52 UTC

sms wrote:
> On 2/14/2024 10:48 AM, badgolferman wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I'm sure you're right, but I was responding to Your Name's
>> claim that even the insides can get wet.
>
> Sorry, I don't see his posts. But no, the insides don't get wet
> on an IP68 phone, at least they are not supposed to.

They're not supposed to, but they can. Things like deteriorating seals,
tiny cracks, etc. means it is possible for water inside ... which is
all I said: "can get wet". But then some fool always has to chime in
trying to make themselves look clever when they haven't even bothered