The most important early product on the way to developing a good product is an imperfect version.

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Can you share your location one direction?

SubjectAuthor
* Can you share your location one direction?Connor Shannon
`* Re: Can you share your location one direction?Alan Browne
 `* Re: Can you share your location one direction?Jolly Roger
  `* Re: Can you share your location one direction?Connor Shannon
   +* Re: Can you share your location one direction?Jörg Lorenz
   |`- Re: Can you share your location one direction?Jörg Lorenz
   `* Re: Can you share your location one direction?Jolly Roger
    `* Re: Can you share your location one direction?Connor Shannon
     `* Re: Can you share your location one direction?Jolly Roger
      `* Re: Can you share your location one direction?Connor Shannon
       `* Re: Can you share your location one direction?Jolly Roger
        `* Re: Can you share your location one direction?Connor Shannon
         `- Re: Can you share your location one direction?Jolly Roger

1
Can you share your location one direction?

<us83q0$3vhq4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12630&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12630

From: cshannon1898@yahoo.com (Connor Shannon)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Can you share your location one direction?
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 13:45:36 -0800
 by: Connor Shannon - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:45 UTC

Hi, I just got a new iPhone it has satellite SOS which is really cool,
I'm glad they built in a demo so you could try it out. I found a
satellite right away and then tried it a couple hours later and found
another one.

Apple's web page about that says, "To share your location with a friend
via satellite, you must already be sharing your location with that
friend in Find My." I thought maybe I could set up a couple of friends
for emergencies but they don't want to share their location so I guess I
can't do that? When I added their names in FindMy it said, "Name can see
your location" but then there was a little spinny circle which I guess
would go on forever unless they shared back so I don't think they really
could see me.

I guess maybe you can send the location one time with a text message but
you can't use FindMy unless the other person does it too, right?

Re: Can you share your location one direction?

<NeNFN.77892$Wbff.30382@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12631&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12631

Subject: Re: Can you share your location one direction?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 17:43:57 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:43 UTC

On 2024-03-05 16:45, Connor Shannon wrote:
> Hi, I just got a new iPhone it has satellite SOS which is really cool,
> I'm glad they built in a demo so you could try it out. I found a
> satellite right away and then tried it a couple hours later and found
> another one.
>
> Apple's web page about that says, "To share your location with a friend
> via satellite, you must already be sharing your location with that
> friend in Find My." I thought maybe I could set up a couple of friends
> for emergencies but they don't want to share their location so I guess I
> can't do that? When I added their names in FindMy it said, "Name can see
> your location" but then there was a little spinny circle which I guess
> would go on forever unless they shared back so I don't think they really
> could see me.
>
> I guess maybe you can send the location one time with a text message but
> you can't use FindMy unless the other person does it too, right?

Not my understanding of it. When I pick up a buddy for breakfast on the
weekend, I send my position (not via satellite) using FindMy so he can
guess where to walk to to intercept my car. I don't see his position at
all.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Can you share your location one direction?

<l4ptd2FjjpsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12635&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12635

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 6 Mar 2024 00:58:11 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 00:58 UTC

On 2024-03-05, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2024-03-05 16:45, Connor Shannon wrote:
>> Hi, I just got a new iPhone it has satellite SOS which is really
>> cool, I'm glad they built in a demo so you could try it out. I found
>> a satellite right away and then tried it a couple hours later and
>> found another one.
>>
>> Apple's web page about that says, "To share your location with a
>> friend via satellite, you must already be sharing your location with
>> that friend in Find My." I thought maybe I could set up a couple of
>> friends for emergencies but they don't want to share their location
>> so I guess I can't do that? When I added their names in FindMy it
>> said, "Name can see your location" but then there was a little spinny
>> circle which I guess would go on forever unless they shared back so I
>> don't think they really could see me.
>>
>> I guess maybe you can send the location one time with a text message
>> but you can't use FindMy unless the other person does it too, right?
>
> Not my understanding of it. When I pick up a buddy for breakfast on
> the weekend, I send my position (not via satellite) using FindMy so he
> can guess where to walk to to intercept my car. I don't see his
> position at all.

Right. I do this when buddies visit town to let them know where I am as
I drive to pick them up from hotels and airports.

JR

Re: Can you share your location one direction?

<usa9f6$hjm3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12646&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12646

From: cshannon1898@yahoo.com (Connor Shannon)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 09:34:29 -0800
 by: Connor Shannon - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:34 UTC

On 3/5/24 4:58 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2024-03-05, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> On 2024-03-05 16:45, Connor Shannon wrote:
>>> Hi, I just got a new iPhone it has satellite SOS which is really
>>> cool, I'm glad they built in a demo so you could try it out. I found
>>> a satellite right away and then tried it a couple hours later and
>>> found another one.
>>>
>>> Apple's web page about that says, "To share your location with a
>>> friend via satellite, you must already be sharing your location with
>>> that friend in Find My." I thought maybe I could set up a couple of
>>> friends for emergencies but they don't want to share their location
>>> so I guess I can't do that? When I added their names in FindMy it
>>> said, "Name can see your location" but then there was a little spinny
>>> circle which I guess would go on forever unless they shared back so I
>>> don't think they really could see me.
>>>
>>> I guess maybe you can send the location one time with a text message
>>> but you can't use FindMy unless the other person does it too, right?
>>
>> Not my understanding of it. When I pick up a buddy for breakfast on
>> the weekend, I send my position (not via satellite) using FindMy so he
>> can guess where to walk to to intercept my car. I don't see his
>> position at all.
>
> Right. I do this when buddies visit town to let them know where I am as
> I drive to pick them up from hotels and airports.

Hi sorry I'm still trying to learn this new Usenet software I don't know
what happened to the msg I sent last night.

Anyway like I said at first Apple says, "To share your location with a
friend via satellite, you must already be sharing your location with
that friend in Find My." ALREADY SHARING. With satellite you have to set
things up first when you have cellular or wifi. They said that about
other things when I was reading the satellite info, too. So you can't
just go into FindMy and send your location over a satellite like you can
normally like Alan and JR do.

So if you have to set sharing up first, does the other person have to
share back?

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/send-your-location-via-satellite-iph2aac8ae20/ios

Re: Can you share your location one direction?

<usab3c$hsta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12647&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12647

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:02:20 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:02 UTC

On 06.03.24 18:34, Connor Shannon wrote:
> Anyway like I said at first Apple says, "To share your location with a
> friend via satellite, you must already be sharing your location with
> that friend in Find My." ALREADY SHARING. With satellite you have to set
> things up first when you have cellular or wifi. They said that about
> other things when I was reading the satellite info, too. So you can't
> just go into FindMy and send your location over a satellite like you can
> normally like Alan and JR do.
>
> So if you have to set sharing up first, does the other person have to
> share back?
>
> https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/send-your-location-via-satellite-iph2aac8ae20/ios

Location sharing can be only in one direction (mobile network).

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: Can you share your location one direction?

<usab64$hsta$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12648&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12648

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:03:48 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:03 UTC

https://support.apple.com/en-us/105104

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: Can you share your location one direction?

<l4rpv7Fsc8jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12649&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12649

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 6 Mar 2024 18:11:51 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:11 UTC

On 2024-03-06, Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 3/5/24 4:58 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Not my understanding of it. When I pick up a buddy for breakfast on
>>> the weekend, I send my position (not via satellite) using FindMy so
>>> he can guess where to walk to to intercept my car. I don't see his
>>> position at all.
>>
>> Right. I do this when buddies visit town to let them know where I am
>> as I drive to pick them up from hotels and airports.
>>

> Hi sorry I'm still trying to learn this new Usenet software I don't
> know what happened to the msg I sent last night.
>
> Anyway like I said at first Apple says, "To share your location with a
> friend via satellite, you must already be sharing your location with
> that friend in Find My." ALREADY SHARING. With satellite you have to
> set things up first when you have cellular or wifi. They said that
> about other things when I was reading the satellite info, too. So you
> can't just go into FindMy and send your location over a satellite like
> you can normally like Alan and JR do.

Yes, and that makes sense, because satellite communications are
necessarily restricted in nature.

> So if you have to set sharing up first, does the other person have to
> share back?

Again, no. Sharing your location with someone is a one-way transaction.
If they want to share their location with you, that's a separate
transaction.

JR

Re: Can you share your location one direction?

<usdleg$1am11$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12690&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12690

From: cshannon1898@yahoo.com (Connor Shannon)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 16:17:20 -0800
 by: Connor Shannon - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 00:17 UTC

On 3/6/24 10:11 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2024-03-06, Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Right. I do this when buddies visit town to let them know where I am
>>> as I drive to pick them up from hotels and airports.
>>>

>> Hi sorry I'm still trying to learn this new Usenet software I don't
>> know what happened to the msg I sent last night.
>>
>> Anyway like I said at first Apple says, "To share your location with a
>> friend via satellite, you must already be sharing your location with
>> that friend in Find My." ALREADY SHARING. With satellite you have to
>> set things up first when you have cellular or wifi. They said that
>> about other things when I was reading the satellite info, too. So you
>> can't just go into FindMy and send your location over a satellite like
>> you can normally like Alan and JR do.
>
> Yes, and that makes sense, because satellite communications are
> necessarily restricted in nature.
>
>> So if you have to set sharing up first, does the other person have to
>> share back?
>
> Again, no. Sharing your location with someone is a one-way transaction.
> If they want to share their location with you, that's a separate
> transaction.

Okay, I guess my iPhone is right that I've shared my location as soon as
I choose someone. But if the other person doesn't accept (share back) I
get that little spinny circle. If they never accept, I don't think it
will ever stop. That's okay? It won't run the battery down or anything?

Re: Can you share your location one direction?

<l4v8oqFe36dU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12694&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12694

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 8 Mar 2024 01:42:50 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 01:42 UTC

On 2024-03-08, Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 3/6/24 10:11 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2024-03-06, Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So if you have to set sharing up first, does the other person have
>>> to share back?
>>
>> Again, no. Sharing your location with someone is a one-way
>> transaction. If they want to share their location with you, that's a
>> separate transaction.
>>

> Okay, I guess my iPhone is right that I've shared my location as soon
> as I choose someone. But if the other person doesn't accept (share
> back)

Again, sharing your location with someone absolutely does not require
them to share their location with you.

> I get that little spinny circle.

You have yet to adequately describe what this "little spinny circle"
actually is. For all we know, it's a normal part of Find My.

> If they never accept

There is no "accept" from the other person. You share your location with
them, and they can see it on a map.

> I don't think it will ever stop. That's okay? It won't run the
> battery down or anything?

No. Show us screenshots of it.

JR

Re: Can you share your location one direction?

<usdrha$1bnn5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12697&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12697

From: cshannon1898@yahoo.com (Connor Shannon)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:01:14 -0800
 by: Connor Shannon - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 02:01 UTC

On 3/7/24 5:42 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2024-03-08, Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Again, no. Sharing your location with someone is a one-way
>>> transaction. If they want to share their location with you, that's a
>>> separate transaction.
>>>

>> Okay, I guess my iPhone is right that I've shared my location as soon
>> as I choose someone. But if the other person doesn't accept (share
>> back)
>
> Again, sharing your location with someone absolutely does not require
> them to share their location with you.
>
>> I get that little spinny circle.
>
> You have yet to adequately describe what this "little spinny circle"
> actually is. For all we know, it's a normal part of Find My.
>
>> If they never accept
>
> There is no "accept" from the other person. You share your location with
> them, and they can see it on a map.
>
>> I don't think it will ever stop. That's okay? It won't run the
>> battery down or anything?
>
> No. Show us screenshots of it.

I don't think I can put a screenshot here but here's one some body else
posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/17otedu/share_my_location_spinning_circle/

Re: Can you share your location one direction?

<l5185jFndb9U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12705&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12705

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 8 Mar 2024 19:44:52 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:44 UTC

On 2024-03-08, Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 3/7/24 5:42 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Okay, I guess my iPhone is right that I've shared my location as
>>> soon as I choose someone. But if the other person doesn't accept
>>> (share back)
>>
>> Again, sharing your location with someone absolutely does not require
>> them to share their location with you.
>>
>>> I get that little spinny circle.
>>
>> You have yet to adequately describe what this "little spinny circle"
>> actually is. For all we know, it's a normal part of Find My.
>>
>>> If they never accept
>>
>> There is no "accept" from the other person. You share your location
>> with them, and they can see it on a map.
>>
>>> I don't think it will ever stop. That's okay? It won't run the
>>> battery down or anything?
>>
>> No. Show us screenshots of it.
>>

> I don't think I can put a screenshot here but here's one some body
> else posted:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/17otedu/share_my_location_spinning_circle/

Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with the other person accepting
anything. And if you read u/Jane-Bingum-The-Just's comment, it's likely
just a glitch on your own device.

JR

Re: Can you share your location one direction?

<usfq36$1sj9f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12707&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12707

From: cshannon1898@yahoo.com (Connor Shannon)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 11:48:53 -0800
 by: Connor Shannon - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:48 UTC

On 3/8/24 11:44 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2024-03-08, Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Again, sharing your location with someone absolutely does not require
>>> them to share their location with you.

>>> You have yet to adequately describe what this "little spinny circle"
>>> actually is. For all we know, it's a normal part of Find My.

>>> There is no "accept" from the other person. You share your location
>>> with them, and they can see it on a map.

>>> No. Show us screenshots of it.
>>>

>> I don't think I can put a screenshot here but here's one some body
>> else posted:
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/17otedu/share_my_location_spinning_circle/
>
> Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with the other person accepting
> anything. And if you read u/Jane-Bingum-The-Just's comment, it's likely
> just a glitch on your own device.

Well all I can say is that rebooting didn't help and as soon as one of
the two friends I tried to share with shared back to me his location
appeared and the spinny circle went away but the other one kept spinning
b'cuz the other person didn't share back.

Re: Can you share your location one direction?

<l53mo5F3nuqU10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12739&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12739

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 9 Mar 2024 18:05:57 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:05 UTC

On 2024-03-08, Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 3/8/24 11:44 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> I don't think I can put a screenshot here but here's one some body
>>> else posted:
>>>
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/17otedu/share_my_location_spinning_circle/
>>
>> Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with the other person accepting
>> anything. And if you read u/Jane-Bingum-The-Just's comment, it's likely
>> just a glitch on your own device.
>
> Well all I can say is that rebooting didn't help and as soon as one of
> the two friends I tried to share with shared back to me his location
> appeared and the spinny circle went away

A spinning circle on your device doesn't matter as long as the other
person can see your location.

> but the other one kept spinning b'cuz the other person didn't share
> back.

Nope, that's not why.

JR