USENET would be a better laboratory if there were more labor and less oratory. -- Elizabeth Haley

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhone

SubjectAuthor
* Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhoneGelato
+* Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhAlan Browne
|`* Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhbadgolferman
| `- Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhHank Rogers
`* Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhBlueshirt
 `- Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhGelato

1
Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhone

<usgfv4$qem$1@rasp.pasdenom.info>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12721&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12721

From: gelato@.is.invalid (Gelato)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhone
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 21:02:13 -0500
sha1:XsCIcS/vp8WXwL6IiYf/R+unCMU= sha256:pFJtaFSemrapm473G59oE3nSSc+P8e+hrn6SIXK1tdY=
 by: Gelato - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 02:02 UTC

Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on
iPhone

Setting default apps is commonplace on Android, but over on iOS, Apple has
historically made this difficult. Over time, users have been given the
ability to set default browser apps and make other tweaks, but starting
next year, Apple will apparently allow iPhone users to set their default
navigation app as something other than Apple Maps, like Google Maps.

As a part of the same report that revealed Apple is working to improve the
ability to transfer data from iPhone to Android, our sister site 9to5Mac
also highlighted that Apple has confirmed that the iPhone will soon allow
users to set a default navigation app.

https://9to5google.com/2024/03/08/apple-iphone-default-navigation-app-google-maps/

Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhone

<am_GN.95796$zqTf.41295@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12728&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12728

Subject: Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation
app on iPhone
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 09:28:22 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 14:28 UTC

On 2024-03-08 21:02, Gelato wrote:
> Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on
> iPhone

Not sure what that means. When I navigate I've always chosen the app I
want - which used to be Google Maps, but now is Apple Maps (for short
trips); though I still prefer Google Maps for longer trips.

Both are on the main screen. Other nav related apps are in a "Nav"
folder on the main screen.

Perhaps this announcement is meant for other apps (incl. Apple apps)
that use a navigation app/api as a supporting layer? Not sure.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhone

<xn0oj4gpx9tgyu5000@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12731&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12731

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 16:05:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 16:05 UTC

Gelato wrote:

> Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default
> navigation app on iPhone

It's my default navigation app on my iPhone 15+ anyway... as I
deleted the Apple "Maps" app as it just doesn't perform to the
same level here as Google Maps does.

Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhone

<usi4ih$rea$1@rasp.pasdenom.info>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12733&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12733

From: gelato@.is.invalid (Gelato)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 12:00:00 -0500
sha1:ZEoavl49lIvd5Bidw4eC0j3hMXg= sha256:Y2Glxzipu/wLluF/qqmbaNP46fB+UhFktIryXy0+C8c=
 by: Gelato - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 17:00 UTC

On Sat, 9 Mar 2024 16:05:44 -0000 (UTC), Blueshirt wrote:

>> Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default
>> navigation app on iPhone
>
> It's my default navigation app on my iPhone 15+ anyway... as I
> deleted the Apple "Maps" app as it just doesn't perform to the
> same level here as Google Maps does.

I like Apple Maps in some ways even better than Google Maps and much better
than OSM maps because Apple is always more private and that alone is worth
using Apple products over similar products, even if they're better.

But I think what it may mean to be the default app is when any other app
needs a map, those apps will pop up whatever map is your default map app.

An example might be an app that identifies plants which shows a map of
where you are and where that plant is available around you, or a store app
that shows you where the stores are, or a banking app or even a cellular
debugging app which shows you all the towers nearby you on a map.

Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhone

<usid59$15ha5$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12742&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12742

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default
navigation app on iPhone
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 19:26:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 19:26 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2024-03-08 21:02, Gelato wrote:
>> Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on
>> iPhone
>
> Not sure what that means. When I navigate I've always chosen the app I
> want - which used to be Google Maps, but now is Apple Maps (for short
> trips); though I still prefer Google Maps for longer trips.
>
> Both are on the main screen. Other nav related apps are in a "Nav"
> folder on the main screen.
>
> Perhaps this announcement is meant for other apps (incl. Apple apps)
> that use a navigation app/api as a supporting layer? Not sure.

If you click on an address in your contact list or on the website using
Safari it will automatically bring up Apple Maps. That is your default
navigation app.

It would be interesting to see if asking Siri to guide you somewhere would
cause Google Maps to be used. I doubt that.

Re: Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhone

<usinhi$2i2mj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12743&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12743

From: Hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
app on iPhone
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 16:23:41 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 22:23 UTC

badgolferman wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> On 2024-03-08 21:02, Gelato wrote:
>>> Apple will let EU users set Google Maps as the default navigation app on
>>> iPhone
>>
>> Not sure what that means. When I navigate I've always chosen the app I
>> want - which used to be Google Maps, but now is Apple Maps (for short
>> trips); though I still prefer Google Maps for longer trips.
>>
>> Both are on the main screen. Other nav related apps are in a "Nav"
>> folder on the main screen.
>>
>> Perhaps this announcement is meant for other apps (incl. Apple apps)
>> that use a navigation app/api as a supporting layer? Not sure.
>>

> If you click on an address in your contact list or on the website using
> Safari it will automatically bring up Apple Maps. That is your default
> navigation app.
>
> It would be interesting to see if asking Siri to guide you somewhere would
> cause Google Maps to be used. I doubt that.

Maybe it's like microsoft windows. It always chooses edge browser, and bing
search. At least you can change that.