What the world *really* needs is a good Automatic Bicycle Sharpener.

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

SubjectAuthor
* how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuseAdam
+* Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuseSten deJoode
|+- Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuseAlan
|`* Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuseAdam
| `- Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuseSten deJoode
+* Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuseYour Name
|`* Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuseAdam
| +- Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuseSten deJoode
| `* Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuseYour Name
|  `- Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuseSten deJoode
`* Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuseAlrescha
 `- Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuseSten deJoode

1
how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<uslkau$38a20$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12793&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12793

From: adam@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via
ifuse
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:47:26 -0700
 by: Adam - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 00:47 UTC

The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...
https://i.postimg.cc/QdM0WF6H/i-Pad-Files-US-Citizenship-Naturalization-Questions.png

But, I can't seem to find the files from the iPad. Sorry, I'm an iPad
newbie doing this for my neighbor, who is studying to become a US
citizen. On top of that, the iOS is in a foreign language. :-)

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<uslluv$35nah$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12794&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12794

From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 21:15:11 -0400
 by: Sten deJoode - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 01:15 UTC

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:47:26 -0700, Adam wrote:

> The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...
> https://i.postimg.cc/QdM0WF6H/i-Pad-Files-US-Citizenship-Naturalization-Questions.png
>
> But, I can't seem to find the files from the iPad. Sorry, I'm an iPad
> newbie doing this for my neighbor, who is studying to become a US
> citizen. On top of that, the iOS is in a foreign language. :-)

Linux is in the real world. No Apple device works in the real world.
In fact, Apple _hates_ their devices working in the real world.

Linux isn't supported.
It doesn't exist (to Apple).

Which is to say that Apple devices are designed ONLY for the walled garden.

When you're logged into Apple servers every moment of your life.
Apple devices, as a result, are nothing more than dumb terminals.

However, you can certainly do whatever you want to do.
If you're clever.
And with a little knowledge...

All of which has been posted before to this ng so it's in the archives.
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone>

Check these out first, and if you have questions, ask me.

Bear in mind you can always use ShareDrop (which isn't described below
as ShareDrop came after all those tutorials were written).
<https://www.sharedrop.io/>

I've done it all, but I haven't bothered in years as my newest iPad is only
used for Google Voice nowadays - as iOS doesn't do anything Android doesn't
already do (but iOS runs GV BETTER than Android does - so it's useful).

How to copy files both ways anywhere you want to/from iPhone/iPad over USB between Windows & iOS using Linux
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/qmkDxzo4bN0/>

Simultaneously slide Windows Linux iOS Android files back & forth over USB at 2GB per minute speeds using 100% native devices (no proprietary software needed)
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/CsU9N7FfJHk/>

How to transfer iPad photos/videos to/from Linux/Windows over Wi-Fi LAN
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/YtpKpDhWm_s/>

How to mount the entire mobile device file system on Linux
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/g-js5R9lrdE/>

How to read/write access iOS file systems on Ubuntu/Windows over USB cable
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/IFC52JXBQ1c/>

And to show how crappy Apple developers are, even Windows is a bitch
(it seems Apple hires only high school kids to do all their coding).

How to easily archive your iOS device and/or how to use your iOS device as a free USB stick (read & write)?
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/5hE4byjF930/>

Has anyone here already run a Linux iFuse (libimobiledevice) port on Windows?
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/5kbR0vzF9xE/>

Why doesn't Apple just let you manage your iOS file system natively on the PC?
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/WjeGznahZwc/>

The only place anything works with Apple is inside the walled garden.
--
Note that's more useful information that all the Apple nutjobs combined
have posted in their entire lives (as none of them know anything at all).

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<usm6ia$3f7h4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12801&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12801

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:58:34 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 05:58 UTC

On 2024-03-11 00:47:26 +0000, Adam said:

> The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...
> https://i.postimg.cc/QdM0WF6H/i-Pad-Files-US-Citizenship-Naturalization-Questions.png
>

> But, I can't seem to find the files from the iPad. Sorry, I'm an iPad
> newbie doing this for my neighbor, who is studying to become a US
> citizen. On top of that, the iOS is in a foreign language. :-)

The files should be in the Downloads or Documents folder, then they
should be accessible via the Files app.

iPadOS / iOS doesn't let you access files from anywhere you like. They
have to be in specific locations, one reason why you shouldn't really
use "manager" apps like iMazing or similar to transfer files across to
the iPad or iPhone unless you know what you're doing.

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<usn7sg$3mai3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12804&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12804

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux
via ifuse
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:27:12 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:27 UTC

On 2024-03-10 18:15, Sten deJoode wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:47:26 -0700, Adam wrote:
>
>> The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...
>> https://i.postimg.cc/QdM0WF6H/i-Pad-Files-US-Citizenship-Naturalization-Questions.png
>>
>> But, I can't seem to find the files from the iPad. Sorry, I'm an iPad
>> newbie doing this for my neighbor, who is studying to become a US
>> citizen. On top of that, the iOS is in a foreign language. :-)
>
> Linux is in the real world. No Apple device works in the real world.
> In fact, Apple _hates_ their devices working in the real world.

I hate to break it to you, Arlen...

....but real people use real Apple devices...

....to do real work...

....in the real world.

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<usndrb$3nnfr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12805&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12805

From: adam@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
via ifuse
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:08:59 -0700
 by: Adam - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:08 UTC

On 03/10/2024 06:15 PM, Sten deJoode wrote:
> [...]
>
> How to read/write access iOS file systems on Ubuntu/Windows over USB cable
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/IFC52JXBQ1c/>
>
> And to show how crappy Apple developers are, even Windows is a bitch
> (it seems Apple hires only high school kids to do all their coding).
>
> How to easily archive your iOS device and/or how to use your iOS device as a free USB stick (read & write)?
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/5hE4byjF930/>
>
> Has anyone here already run a Linux iFuse (libimobiledevice) port on Windows?
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/5kbR0vzF9xE/>
>
> Why doesn't Apple just let you manage your iOS file system natively on the PC?
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/WjeGznahZwc/>
>
> The only place anything works with Apple is inside the walled garden.

Thanks, before posting here, I searched and found the following...

How can I access afc:// iOS files from the Ubuntu terminal?
https://superuser.com/questions/1548122/how-can-i-access-afc-ios-files-from-the-ubuntu-terminal

mint@mint:~$ idevicepair pair
SUCCESS: Paired with device 12372579df8d3ba74b44b47daaabea5f7775a86b
mint@mint:~$ usbmuxd -f -v
[01:13:47.747][3] usbmuxd v1.1.1 starting up
[01:13:47.747][0] Could not open lockfile // will "sudo" fix this
mint@mint:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/iPad
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/mnt/iPad’: File exists
mint@mint:~$ sudo su // "sudo ifuse" ?!?!?
root@mint:/home/mint# ifuse /mnt/iPad
There was an error accessing the mount point: Input/output error
root@mint:/home/mint# exit
exit
mint@mint:~$ sudo usbmuxd -f -v
[04:19:45.978][3] usbmuxd v1.1.1 starting up
[04:19:45.978][1] Another instance is already running (pid 3671). exiting.
mint@mint:~$

Not sure about usage of "sudo su". How about using "sudo" with
"usbmuxd" and "ifuse" ?

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<usnfck$3o4gq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12806&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12806

From: adam@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
via ifuse
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:35:16 -0700
 by: Adam - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:35 UTC

On 03/10/2024 10:58 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2024-03-11 00:47:26 +0000, Adam said:
>>
>> The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...
>> https://i.postimg.cc/QdM0WF6H/i-Pad-Files-US-Citizenship-Naturalization-Questions.png
>>

>> But, I can't seem to find the files from the iPad. Sorry, I'm an iPad
>> newbie doing this for my neighbor, who is studying to become a US
>> citizen. On top of that, the iOS is in a foreign language. :-)
>
> The files should be in the Downloads or Documents folder, then they
> should be accessible via the Files app.
>
> iPadOS / iOS doesn't let you access files from anywhere you like. They
> have to be in specific locations, one reason why you shouldn't really
> use "manager" apps like iMazing or similar to transfer files across to
> the iPad or iPhone unless you know what you're doing.

Thanks, good to know. I knew there was some iOS file system rules I was
missing. So simple yet so hard to find when you need to know. But, these
types of file system rules are really arbitrary and senseless.
Come on, Apple !!

Also, just invested in a Plug-n-Play USB adapter for iPad. This should
make it easier for my neighbor. But, the "archaic" DCIM file system rule
is really an embarrassment for a pioneer company like Apple.
It may have been fine when it was hidden back then but it is now
sticking out like a sore thumb.
Come on, Apple !!

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<usnl27$38hda$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12808&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12808

From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:12:07 -0400
 by: Sten deJoode - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:12 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:35:16 -0700, Adam wrote:

> Thanks, good to know. I knew there was some iOS file system rules I was
> missing. So simple yet so hard to find when you need to know. But, these
> types of file system rules are really arbitrary and senseless.
> Come on, Apple !!

That Apple nut job named "Your Name" is dead wrong.
All the nutcases know nothing about how iOS works in the real world.

What you need is the Linux command listed below in my images.
It turns the iPad into a USB stick.

None of the Apple nut cases you're talking to will know any of this.
(They refuse to believe that Apple doesn't work in the real world.)

None of those Apple nut jobs, Your Name included, have any clue how to
interface an Apple device into the real world. The reason is simple.
a. They only know what works inside the walled garden
b. Hence, they never interfaced anything with the real world
c. They only know what Apple has fed them

Since Apple doesn't support the real world, Apple hasn't told them anything
about the real world.

> Also, just invested in a Plug-n-Play USB adapter for iPad. This should
> make it easier for my neighbor.

If you know what I know (see below for the extremely important command that
almost nobody knows which took me many many many hours to find but only
takes you one second to run) which turns the iPad into a USB drive.

No need for ANY software or hardware.
You just have to know the command.

None of the Apple nut jobs will know anything about the real world.

> But, the "archaic" DCIM file system rule
> is really an embarrassment for a pioneer company like Apple.
> It may have been fine when it was hidden back then but it is now
> sticking out like a sore thumb.
> Come on, Apple !!

Years ago, when I got my first iPad, I was dual booting to Ubuntu daily (in
the early Canonical Unity days) and I came to this very ng asking for help.

The Apple responders were all assholes (such as nospam, Jolly Roger, Alan
Baker, etc.) because they _hated_ that iOS ignores Linux interoperability.

At that time, what happened was one version of iOS worked with iFuse.
The next didn't. Apple broke something. I could look up what it was,
but it doesn't matter. The answer from the religious nut cases was
Linux interoperability was "not needed" and "not wanted", which is the
answer these Apple nut cases give to everything that every other operating
system except iOS easily does. (For example, iOS barely works with Windows,
and yet Ubuntu dual-boot works perfectly with Windows - simultaneously, on
the Windows file system - even when Windows isn't even booted).

In those days, long ago, there was David Empson who was the only Apple
responder on this newsgroup who knew anything about Apple products.

The rest (Alan Browne, Haemactylus, Your Name, etc.) masturbate to Apple
advertisements, but they don't actually understand anything about iOS.

I don't know much about iOS either, as it's a piece of shit operating
system; but I test it out empirically (less now than ever before since it's
so limited of an operating system, all it does is Google Voice without
creating a Google Account on the device - which I use instead of Google
Voice on Android - which does create a Google Account on the device).

It's been a few years since I interfaced iOS to Ubuntu, but it is true that
you have to stick things in places that Apple will let you stick them.

Looking at my old images, see if any of these images I took long ago will
help you get past the walled garden that the Apple nut jobs refuse to
believe exists (they're all like Trumpists who believe what they're told).

They think the only world that exists is inside the walled garden.
Hence, Apple can say that the real world (linux) isn't ever supported.

From my iFuse images folder... I did years ago what you are trying to do.
<https://i.postimg.cc/s2x0f9Js/files14.jpg> Simultaneous Linux, win & iOS
<https://i.postimg.cc/g269S8rT/files13.jpg> How does macOS work with iOS?
<https://i.postimg.cc/pVJf72fN/files12.jpg> iOS hacks very often will fail
<https://i.postimg.cc/cChf8mx1/files11.jpg> idiot iOS hacks just to copy
<https://i.postimg.cc/9MGdc2s7/files10.jpg> Android is 2-way fast over USB
<https://i.postimg.cc/mDx3xkp4/files09.jpg> iOS only DCIM & only 1-way
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xcCBngd/files08.jpg> iOS is just a dumb brick
<https://i.postimg.cc/KjK4nHwf/files07.jpg> Ubuntu is two-way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/Jhmy9KH7/files06.jpg> Ubuntu uses iFuse for magic
<https://i.postimg.cc/qqg61Rh8/files05.jpg> Ubuntu, movies _to_ iOS on USB
<https://i.postimg.cc/QMk7tvZW/files04.jpg> Ubuntu is two way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/d3SGkdgr/files03.jpg> Android is two way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/L8b18Zmx/files02.jpg> iOS "Files" is not useful
<https://i.postimg.cc/NFkXsJ0X/files01.jpg> iOS/Win is 1-way & DCIM only

Without that one command, the iOS device is just a dumb read-only brick.
BTW, I hope Apple didn't BLOCK that Linux command in later iOS releases!

Please go through my images, one by one, and try to reproduce as all you
need is iFuse installed on Ubuntu, plus a USB cable, plus an iPad.

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<usnmbp$3pp6a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12809&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12809

From: news@alrescha.com (Alrescha)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying
from Linux via ifuse
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:34:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bO25jGm+PtPDqPmmm7SxKwUiIh0=
 by: Alrescha - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:34 UTC

Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:

> The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...

In case it helps, the Files app on iOS understands SMB file sharing. Just
hit the three dots and choose “Connect to server”. Then you can drag and
drop.

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<usnmbi$3pp55$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12810&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12810

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 08:34:10 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:34 UTC

On 2024-03-11 17:35:16 +0000, Adam said:
> On 03/10/2024 10:58 PM, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2024-03-11 00:47:26 +0000, Adam said:
>>>
>>> The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/QdM0WF6H/i-Pad-Files-US-Citizenship-Naturalization-Questions.png
>>>

>>> But, I can't seem to find the files from the iPad. Sorry, I'm an iPad
>>> newbie doing this for my neighbor, who is studying to become a US
>>> citizen. On top of that, the iOS is in a foreign language. :-)
>>
>> The files should be in the Downloads or Documents folder, then they
>> should be accessible via the Files app.
>>
>> iPadOS / iOS doesn't let you access files from anywhere you like. They
>> have to be in specific locations, one reason why you shouldn't really
>> use "manager" apps like iMazing or similar to transfer files across to
>> the iPad or iPhone unless you know what you're doing.
>
> Thanks, good to know. I knew there was some iOS file system rules I was
> missing. So simple yet so hard to find when you need to know. But,
> these types of file system rules are really arbitrary and senseless.
> Come on, Apple !!
>
> Also, just invested in a Plug-n-Play USB adapter for iPad. This should
> make it easier for my neighbor. But, the "archaic" DCIM file system
> rule is really an embarrassment for a pioneer company like Apple.
> It may have been fine when it was hidden back then but it is now
> sticking out like a sore thumb.
> Come on, Apple !!

Do you put your kitchen utensils in the bathroom cabinet? Is your car
parked in your bedroom?

It's sensible to store things in proper locations to make them easy to find.
The entire Mac OS, and hence almost every other modern OS, was designed
so people could store their files in folders to make organising and
finding them much easier.

Putting things any old where is what lazy and disorganised people do,
and then they complain that they can't ever find anything.

If you use the iPad as it was meant to be used, then files
automatically go where they need to. The problems occur when people
start meddling by using "manager" apps to move files around. :-(

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<usntra$38u3u$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12811&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12811

From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:42:02 -0400
 by: Sten deJoode - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:42 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:34:18 -0000 (UTC), Alrescha wrote:

> Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>>
>> The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...
>
> In case it helps, the Files app on iOS understands SMB file sharing. Just
> hit the three dots and choose 'Connect to server'. Then you can drag and
> drop.

I don't know if the OP knows about SMB/CIFs or not, but on his Linux box
he'd have to add Samba to get SMB (which is very easy to add on Linux).

The problem is the Files app is a brain-dead walled-garden app, where what
the OP really wants is what everyone who has Linux would expect, which is
he can write his files ANYWHERE he wants to in the iOS file system.

He can do that because I've done it in the past (see my other posts).
But none of the Apple religious nutcases would know how to do it.

They don't realize the instant you add an Apple app, you _lose_
functionality, which, if you don't believe me, check out the old
SharePod (before Apple bought them and immediately broke the app).

<https://i.postimg.cc/fRtZFGSt/sharepod01.jpg>

Notice if you do NOT install iTunes, and if you don't install ANYTHING on
Windows, but you put the Sharepod.exe executable on the iPod, then you get
EXACTLY what everyone wants - which is the ability to read and write the
entire iPod filesystem sliding back and forth ANY DAMN FILE YOU WANT from
your Windows computer to your Apple iPod and vice versa.

Apple coders are so sophomoric they don't know how to code something that
perfect - such that it does - instantly - with no software on the PC -
exactly what you want - where you can copy any MP3 file from any iPod (it
doesn't even have to be registered to you or to anyone else) back and forth
to and from the PC.

Apple can't code anything that "just works" like that. It's perfect.

Until Apple bought them. Then they changed it so it no longer worked.
https://getsharepod.com/help
*(now it needs iTUnes to do LESS than it did before without iTunes!)*

If that doesn't show you how stupid Apple coders are, nothing else will.
Luckily the old last-known-before-apple-good-version still works fine!

This is something I've done thousands of times, and yet not a single one of
the Apple religious nut cases has ever done it because they're stuck with
iTunes bloatware (which removes functionality the instant you add it to
Windows).

End result: Apple software _removes_ functionality the instant you install
it. Don't believe me? Look at what Apple did to SharePod which used to
"just work" and now doesn't work without iTunes and is limited like you
can't believe (e.g., it requires an Apple ID - which is ridiculous).
<https://i.postimg.cc/LXzB3Lc0/appleid01.jpg>

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<usnur4$38v58$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12812&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12812

From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:59:00 -0400
 by: Sten deJoode - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:59 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 08:34:10 +1300, Your Name wrote:

> Do you put your kitchen utensils in the bathroom cabinet? Is your car
> parked in your bedroom?
>
> It's sensible to store things in proper locations to make them easy to find.
> The entire Mac OS, and hence almost every other modern OS, was designed
> so people could store their files in folders to make organising and
> finding them much easier.
>
> Putting things any old where is what lazy and disorganised people do,
> and then they complain that they can't ever find anything.
>
> If you use the iPad as it was meant to be used, then files
> automatically go where they need to. The problems occur when people
> start meddling by using "manager" apps to move files around. :-(

The Apple religious nutjobs like Your Name have no concept of what every
other operating system not from Apple has, which is the concept that you
can put anything you want anywhere you damn well want to put it.

Even when you're in the real world (i.e., Linux is in the real world) and
even though Apple says their operating systems don't work in the real
world.

<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios180.jpg> Read & write all!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios170.jpg> Anywhere you want
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios160.jpg> Any file you want
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios150.jpg> Copy Win10 to iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios140.jpg> read & write iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios130.jpg> iFuse mounts all!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios120.jpg> iFuse mounts iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios110.jpg> iFuse Windows mnt
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios100.jpg> iFuse is Ubuntu native
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios090.jpg> Which nobody knows!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios080.jpg> This is the trick!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios070.jpg> If you know a trick
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios060.jpg> For both read & write
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios050.jpg> Including DCIM folder
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios040.jpg> View iOS filesystem
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios030.jpg> iOS mounts on Ubuntu
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios020.jpg> Allow device access?
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios010.jpg> Trust This Computer?
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios000.jpg> Ubuntu before iOS

To be fair to Apple, Apple's operating systems are written exclusively for
people who have absolutely zero technical knowledge, and hence no
experience with putting data wherever YOU want to put your data.

Since Apple operating systems are made, essentially, for people who know
nothing about computers, it makes sense that Apple spectacularly constrains
where your data can go. Everything has to stay inside the walled garden.

But the OP is coming from Linux world, where Linux owners aren't ignorant
of computers like Apple owners tend to be (naive owners are whom Apple
advertises to, if you witness their ads for "emoji" being the biggest thing
they can put into the iOS 17.4 operating system and "yellow" colors being
the best they can do for the iPhone 14 hardware).

Apple's own advertisements prove Apple thinks its own customer is naive.
And they are.

But the OP isn't naive. He can choose wherever he wants to put his data.
Apple coders don't know how to code software that works in the real world.

But I've done everything the OP wants to do with Linux so it can be done.
(It just has been years since I've done it as those images are mine but old).

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<uso16o$392pd$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12813&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12813

From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:39:20 -0400
 by: Sten deJoode - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:39 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:08:59 -0700, Adam wrote:

> [...]
>
> mint@mint:~$ idevicepair pair
> SUCCESS: Paired with device 12372579df8d3ba74b44b47daaabea5f7775a86b
> mint@mint:~$ usbmuxd -f -v
> [01:13:47.747][3] usbmuxd v1.1.1 starting up
> [01:13:47.747][0] Could not open lockfile // will "sudo" fix this
> mint@mint:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/iPad
> mkdir: cannot create directory �/mnt/iPad�: File exists
> mint@mint:~$ sudo su // "sudo ifuse" ?!?!?
> root@mint:/home/mint# ifuse /mnt/iPad
> There was an error accessing the mount point: Input/output error
> root@mint:/home/mint# exit
> exit
> mint@mint:~$ sudo usbmuxd -f -v
> [04:19:45.978][3] usbmuxd v1.1.1 starting up
> [04:19:45.978][1] Another instance is already running (pid 3671). exiting.
> mint@mint:~$
>
> Not sure about usage of "sudo su". How about using "sudo" with

I have done what you want to do, and yet it's highly probable nobody on
this list has done it except me, so it's almost 100% chance none of them
know anything about it (plus most of them are Apple religious nut cases,
who are literally morons).

BTW, the reason I've done it is because I'm not stupid.
Most of the people on this list are stupid.

You can tell by the idiotic answers that they give you, none of which work
since all they know is the walled garden and Apple marketing
advertisements. They can't think outside the walled garden.

Anyway, the problem I have helping you is I haven't done it in years, but I
documented every step of the way, so take a look at the references I gave
you which were written at the time that I did it).

Bearing in mind NONE OF THIS IS DOCUMENTED anywhere, the key is this error:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios070.jpg>

Notice that until you know a trick, you can't WRITE to anywhere on the iOS
filesystem that you want to write to - so you get this error.
Error while creating directory x.
There was an error creating the directory in
gphoto2://%5Busb%3A001,003%5D/DCIM/101Apple.

I hesitate to give you the secret because Apple, once they know of
something that works outside the walled garden with their products, they
shut it down (like they did with Sharepod working without iTunes and
without needing an Apple ID and being able to move any file you want).
<https://i.postimg.cc/MT0CxMbZ/ipod007.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/rsj2G0KZ/ipod006.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/7hwyTMYT/ipod005.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/25LmpSK3/ipod004.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/RZF4RR17/ipod003.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/hPMKTwm4/ipod002.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/jdRsWKLk/ipod001.jpg>

Given Apple coders are so anti consumer they break everything
that works, you'll need to look at the next photo in the set.
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios110.jpg> iFuse mounts Windows
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios140.jpg> read and write iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios150.jpg> Copy Win10 to iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios160.jpg> Any file you want
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios170.jpg> Anywhere you want
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios180.jpg> Read & write all!

See the trick above. I don't want to spell it out lest Apple break it.
When you get the full read/write to/from the entire iOS
file system over USB without any special tools or hardware,
let us know you're successful.

But don't say how you did it as Apple will break it.
They don't want their devices working in the real world.