A triangle which has an angle of 135 degrees is called an obscene triangle.

computers / alt.os.linux / [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

SubjectAuthor
* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different diskMarioCPPP
+* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentCarlos E.R.
|`* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
| `* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentCarlos E.R.
|  `* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
|   `* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentCarlos E.R.
|    `* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
|     +* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentDavid W. Hodgins
|     |`- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
|     `- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentCarlos E.R.
+* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentDavid W. Hodgins
|+* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
||+- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentDavid W. Hodgins
||+* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentDavid W. Hodgins
|||`* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentDavid W. Hodgins
||| `* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
|||  +- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentJ.O. Aho
|||  +* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentDavid W. Hodgins
|||  |`- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
|||  `* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentCarlos E.R.
|||   `- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
||`- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentCarlos E.R.
|`* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentJ.O. Aho
| +- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
| `* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
|  `* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentJ.O. Aho
|   `* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
|    +- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentDavid W. Hodgins
|    `- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentBit Twister
+* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentJasen Betts
|`- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
+- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentbad sector
+* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
|+- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentChris Elvidge
|`- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentDavid W. Hodgins
`* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
 +- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
 `* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentCarlos E.R.
  `* [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentMarioCPPP
   `- [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, differentCarlos E.R.

Pages:12
[debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<u5qhj8$16qao$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1283&group=alt.os.linux#1283

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk
and partition
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 20:17:11 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 18:17 UTC

I guess this topic has just been "over-answered", but
googling I find a lot of answers where the disk has to be
formatted and the partition created and alike.

So a very short question.

Assume I launch file manager with ROOT privilege (is it
necessary ? maybe not, and maybe this could create copies
with wrong owner ?), then unhide both DOT files and backup
files (hence the file manager should "see" every file, right
?), then I copy the original /home to the destination.
(then I use a difference checking tool, I love FreeFileSync,
and verify all is ok)

Then
would be enough just edit FSTAB, commenting out the old home
and mount the new /home to the new partition ?
I mean, how to point not to the device as a whole, but to a
subfolder on it ?

Could I simply create a SymLink for /home (in the root
partition) pointing to the new folder ?

Tnx in advance for any mistake signalled.
Ciao

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<ik17ljxtpc.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1284&group=alt.os.linux#1284

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different
disk and partition
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 21:16:02 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 19:16 UTC

On 2023-06-07 20:17, MarioCPPP wrote:
> I guess this topic has just been "over-answered", but googling I find a
> lot of answers where the disk has to be formatted and the partition
> created and alike.
>
> So a very short question.
>
> Assume I launch file manager with ROOT privilege (is it necessary ?
> maybe not, and maybe this could create copies with wrong owner ?), then
> unhide both DOT files and backup files (hence the file manager should
> "see" every file, right ?), then I copy the original /home to the
> destination.
> (then I use a difference checking tool, I love FreeFileSync, and verify
> all is ok)
>
> Then
> would be enough just edit FSTAB, commenting out the old home and mount
> the new /home to the new partition ?
> I mean, how to point not to the device as a whole, but to a subfolder on
> it ?

Basic procedure:

0 - Mount the new disk/partition ANYWHERE (except /home). Format if
necessary.
Make sure you have all the tools needed installed.

1 - Log out of graphical session.

2 - Log in text mode, as root. I don't know for sure in Debian, but
it is usually [Ctrl][Alt][F1]

3 - run:

rsync --archive --acls --xattrs --hard-links --sparse \
--stats --human-readable /home /ANYWHERE

4 - If you need a filebrowser, use 'mc'.

5 - "umount /home"

6 - "umount /ANYWHERE"

7 - create directory "/home.old"

8 - edit fstab:
change the existing /home entry to mount in "/home.old"
create new entry for new disk or partition to mount as "/home"

9 - "mount /home"

Done.

You can mount "/home.old" if wished, for checking.
You can login in graphical mode again.

> Could I simply create a SymLink for /home (in the root partition)
> pointing to the new folder ?

if you wish. It has its caveats.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<op.156qkvjpa3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1285&group=alt.os.linux#1285

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 16:15:57 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 20:15 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 14:17:11 -0400, MarioCPPP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
> Then
> would be enough just edit FSTAB, commenting out the old home
> and mount the new /home to the new partition ?
> I mean, how to point not to the device as a whole, but to a
> subfolder on it ?
>
> Could I simply create a SymLink for /home (in the root
> partition) pointing to the new folder ?
>
> Tnx in advance for any mistake signalled.
> Ciao

Assuming the new disk is mounted in /mnt/newdisk at boot time.

Boot to run level 3 (text mode login). Login as root. Use a tool that handles
permissions, symlinks, hidden (dot) files, and sub-directories properly such
as mc to move /home to /mnt/newdisk.

Then create a symlink "ln -s /mnt/newdisk/home /home".

Reboot and login normally.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<u5r1p6$18m66$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1286&group=alt.os.linux#1286

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 00:53:26 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:53 UTC

On 07/06/23 21:16, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-06-07 20:17, MarioCPPP wrote:
>> I guess this topic has just been "over-answered", but
>> googling I find a lot of answers where the disk has to be
>> formatted and the partition created and alike.
>>
>> So a very short question.
>>
>> Assume I launch file manager with ROOT privilege (is it
>> necessary ? maybe not, and maybe this could create copies
>> with wrong owner ?), then unhide both DOT files and backup
>> files (hence the file manager should "see" every file,
>> right ?), then I copy the original /home to the destination.
>> (then I use a difference checking tool, I love
>> FreeFileSync, and verify all is ok)
>>
>> Then
>> would be enough just edit FSTAB, commenting out the old
>> home and mount the new /home to the new partition ?
>> I mean, how to point not to the device as a whole, but to
>> a subfolder on it ?
>

> Basic procedure:
>
>   0 - Mount the new disk/partition ANYWHERE (except /home).
> Format if necessary.
>       Make sure you have all the tools needed installed.
>
>   1 - Log out of graphical session.
>
>   2 - Log in text mode, as root. I don't know for sure in
> Debian, but it is usually [Ctrl][Alt][F1]
>
>   3 - run:
>
>       rsync --archive --acls --xattrs --hard-links --sparse \
>           --stats --human-readable  /home  /ANYWHERE
>
>   4 - If you need a filebrowser, use 'mc'.
>
>   5 - "umount /home"
>
>   6 - "umount /ANYWHERE"
>
>   7 - create directory "/home.old"
>
>   8 - edit fstab:
>       change the existing /home entry to mount in "/home.old"
>       create new entry for new disk or partition to mount
> as "/home"
this step is not so clear to me
anyway, tnx for all the stuff ! I have saved the post

>   9 - "mount /home"
>
> Done.
>
> You can mount "/home.old" if wished, for checking.
> You can login in graphical mode again.
>

>> Could I simply create a SymLink for /home (in the root
>> partition) pointing to the new folder ?
>
> if you wish. It has its caveats.

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<u5r1s1$18m66$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1287&group=alt.os.linux#1287

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 00:54:54 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:54 UTC

On 07/06/23 22:15, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 14:17:11 -0400, MarioCPPP
> <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
>> Then
>> would be enough just edit FSTAB, commenting out the old home
>> and mount the new /home to the new partition ?
>> I mean, how to point not to the device as a whole, but to a
>> subfolder on it ?
>>
>> Could I simply create a SymLink for /home (in the root
>> partition) pointing to the new folder ?
>>
>> Tnx in advance for any mistake signalled.
>> Ciao
>
> Assuming the new disk is mounted in /mnt/newdisk at boot time.
>
> Boot to run level 3 (text mode login). Login as root. Use a
> tool that handles
> permissions, symlinks, hidden (dot) files, and
> sub-directories properly such
> as mc to move /home to /mnt/newdisk.

I will study what mc is

> Then create a symlink "ln -s /mnt/newdisk/home /home".
>
> Reboot and login normally.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

wow ... that simple ! Not even edit fstab ...

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<op.156yjrnfa3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1288&group=alt.os.linux#1288

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 19:08:05 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 23:08 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 18:54:54 -0400, MarioCPPP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
> I will study what mc is

mc is the executable for midnight commander. http://www.midnight-commander.org/
Most distributions have it available, if not installed by default.
It's a text mode file manager.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<op.156yl3sya3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1289&group=alt.os.linux#1289

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 19:09:29 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 23:09 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 18:54:54 -0400, MarioCPPP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:

> On 07/06/23 22:15, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 14:17:11 -0400, MarioCPPP
>> <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
>>> Then
>>> would be enough just edit FSTAB, commenting out the old home
>>> and mount the new /home to the new partition ?
>>> I mean, how to point not to the device as a whole, but to a
>>> subfolder on it ?
>>>
>>> Could I simply create a SymLink for /home (in the root
>>> partition) pointing to the new folder ?
>>>
>>> Tnx in advance for any mistake signalled.
>>> Ciao
>>
>> Assuming the new disk is mounted in /mnt/newdisk at boot time.
>>
>> Boot to run level 3 (text mode login). Login as root. Use a
>> tool that handles
>> permissions, symlinks, hidden (dot) files, and
>> sub-directories properly such
>> as mc to move /home to /mnt/newdisk.
>
> I will study what mc is
>

>> Then create a symlink "ln -s /mnt/newdisk/home /home".
>>
>> Reboot and login normally.
>>
>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> wow ... that simple ! Not even edit fstab ...

Presumably /mnt/newdisk is already in the fstab. No changes needed in fstab
for moving /home, provided /mnt/newdisk is mounted before the user logs in.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<op.156y0gkka3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1290&group=alt.os.linux#1290

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 19:18:06 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 23:18 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 19:09:29 -0400, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 18:54:54 -0400, MarioCPPP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
>
>> On 07/06/23 22:15, David W. Hodgins wrote:

>>> Assuming the new disk is mounted in /mnt/newdisk at boot time.
>>>
>>> Boot to run level 3 (text mode login). Login as root. Use a
>>> tool that handles
>>> permissions, symlinks, hidden (dot) files, and
>>> sub-directories properly such
>>> as mc to move /home to /mnt/newdisk.
>>
>> I will study what mc is
>>

>>> Then create a symlink "ln -s /mnt/newdisk/home /home".
>>>
>>> Reboot and login normally.
>>>
>>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>>
>> wow ... that simple ! Not even edit fstab ...
>
> Presumably /mnt/newdisk is already in the fstab. No changes needed in fstab
> for moving /home, provided /mnt/newdisk is mounted before the user logs in.

Just occurred to me. I'm basing my answer on the assumption that currently
/home is not on it's own partition. If it is, then editing fstab is needed
and you would want to copy the contents of the existing /home to the new
one, and then edit fstab to mount the new partition instead of the old one.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<laq7ljxrd.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1291&group=alt.os.linux#1291

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 04:17:25 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 02:17 UTC

On 2023-06-08 00:53, MarioCPPP wrote:
> On 07/06/23 21:16, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2023-06-07 20:17, MarioCPPP wrote:

>>    5 - "umount /home"
>>
>>    6 - "umount /ANYWHERE"
>>
>>    7 - create directory "/home.old"
>>
>>    8 - edit fstab:
>>        change the existing /home entry to mount in "/home.old"
>>        create new entry for new disk or partition to mount as "/home"
>
> this step is not so clear to me

Ok, suppose you had:

/dev/sda35 /home ext4 defaults 1 2

/dev/sdb47 /ANYWHERE ext4 defaults 1 2

You do:

/dev/sda35 /home.old ext4 defaults 1 2

/dev/sdb47 /home ext4 defaults 1 2

>> 9 - "mount /home"

> anyway, tnx for all the stuff ! I have saved the post

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<idq7ljxrd.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1292&group=alt.os.linux#1292

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 04:18:58 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 02:18 UTC

On 2023-06-08 00:54, MarioCPPP wrote:
> On 07/06/23 22:15, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 14:17:11 -0400, MarioCPPP

>> Then create a symlink "ln -s /mnt/newdisk/home /home".
>>
>> Reboot and login normally.
>>
>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> wow ... that simple ! Not even edit fstab ...

It can have caveats.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<u5rvgr$sas$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1293&group=alt.os.linux#1293

From: usenet@revmaps.no-ip.org (Jasen Betts)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 07:20:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jasen Betts - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 07:20 UTC

On 2023-06-07, MarioCPPP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
> I guess this topic has just been "over-answered", but
> googling I find a lot of answers where the disk has to be
> formatted and the partition created and alike.
>
> So a very short question.

> Assume I launch file manager with ROOT privilege (is it
> necessary ?

root is deinately necessary. log out as user and log in as root.

> maybe not, and maybe this could create copies
> with wrong owner ?), then unhide both DOT files and backup
> files (hence the file manager should "see" every file, right
> ?), then I copy the original /home to the destination.
> (then I use a difference checking tool, I love FreeFileSync,
> and verify all is ok)

file mangler? probably not the best way maybe it can do this. maybe it
will mess up ownerships and permissions.
cp or rsync are are more likely to work.

> Then would be enough just edit FSTAB, commenting out the old home
> and mount the new /home to the new partition ?
> I mean, how to point not to the device as a whole, but to a
> subfolder on it ?

yes, i guess.

> Could I simply create a SymLink for /home (in the root
> partition) pointing to the new folder ?

If it's a new folder and not a new partition.

--
Jasen.
🇺🇦 Слава Україні

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<u5sdbg$1gbp7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1294&group=alt.os.linux#1294

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 13:17:02 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:17 UTC

On 08/06/23 04:17, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-06-08 00:53, MarioCPPP wrote:
>> On 07/06/23 21:16, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>> On 2023-06-07 20:17, MarioCPPP wrote:

>>>    5 - "umount /home"
>>>
>>>    6 - "umount /ANYWHERE"
>>>
>>>    7 - create directory "/home.old"
>>>
>>>    8 - edit fstab:
>>>        change the existing /home entry to mount in
>>> "/home.old"
>>>        create new entry for new disk or partition to
>>> mount as "/home"
>>
>> this step is not so clear to me
>
> Ok, suppose you had:
>
> /dev/sda35     /home      ext4  defaults  1 2
>
> /dev/sdb47     /ANYWHERE  ext4  defaults  1 2
>

> You do:
>
> /dev/sda35     /home.old  ext4  defaults  1 2
>
> /dev/sdb47     /home      ext4  defaults  1 2

I know, frequently I am dumb, but ... the Folder ANYWHERE
was not empty, and could contain almost anything, and only
one of its subfolders would actually contain a
"non-corrupted" home copy.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, the mount command would make
appear all the former structure (plus a nested copy of
original home, under the new /HOME.
Is this not a problem ? I mean, a lot of SW tend to expect
its own-made structure for app/data, config, local share and
so. Nesting that all deeper is fair ?
And where it is stated (in the mount command) the real new
home "entry point" ?

>>>    9 - "mount /home"
>

>> anyway, tnx for all the stuff ! I have saved the post

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<u5sdvf$1gbp7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1295&group=alt.os.linux#1295

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 13:27:43 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:27 UTC

On 08/06/23 01:18, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 19:09:29 -0400, David W. Hodgins
> <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 18:54:54 -0400, MarioCPPP
>> <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:

>>> I will study what mc is

>>> wow ... that simple ! Not even edit fstab ...
>>
>> Presumably /mnt/newdisk is already in the fstab. No
>> changes needed in fstab
>> for moving /home, provided /mnt/newdisk is mounted before
>> the user logs in.

first, yes : the "other" drive/partition IS JUST mounted in
FSTAB

> Just occurred to me. I'm basing my answer on the assumption
> that currently
> /home is not on it's own partition.

this further assumption is also correct : I have now a
really simple system FS structure (with everything, apart
from /tmp, mounted in ram, and SWAP, which has its own
partition, on the same drive as ROOT, an SSD, since I
per-use hibernation).

> If it is, then editing
> fstab is needed
> and you would want to copy the contents of the existing
> /home to the new
> one, and then edit fstab to mount the new partition instead
> of the old one.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Could you also give an opinion about my doubt (expressed in
a question to Mr Carlos E.R. in this thread) ?

The point, summed up, is that the target drive for the new
home is NON empty and that, possibly, the new home could be
attached to a more deeply nested folder in that partition.

I am scared that most programs won't be able to find their
data and config in the original "expected" position ... I'm
not sure I have been able to explain it properly (nor that
this would be a problem or not) ... If so, having home at
the TOP LEVEL in the structure, would solve ?
Despite many years of Linux using, I still tend to think the
disks as the FOREST (as it was under Windows) and I am
poorly able to figure out where exactly they are attached to
the SINGLE TREE that is Unix File System.
So I cannot manage in "imagination" the prepended prefix to
the new home (like /Pippo/media/NewPartition/Pippo/home) and
if this may originate problems in a program that does not
expect "/Pippo/media/NewPartition/" but plain "/".

Maybe, but also unsure, SYMLINK under "/" pointing to the
new home would cheat the SW ? Is it mandatory following a
symlink or a SW (i.d. cryptocoin wallets, telegram, clouds
and so) could refuse to find the relocated home ?

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<u5se4r$1gbp7$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1296&group=alt.os.linux#1296

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 13:30:34 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:30 UTC

On 08/06/23 09:20, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2023-06-07, MarioCPPP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
>> I guess this topic has just been "over-answered", but
>> googling I find a lot of answers where the disk has to be
>> formatted and the partition created and alike.
>>
>> So a very short question.
>
>> Assume I launch file manager with ROOT privilege (is it
>> necessary ?
>
> root is deinately necessary. log out as user and log in as root.
>
>> maybe not, and maybe this could create copies
>> with wrong owner ?), then unhide both DOT files and backup
>> files (hence the file manager should "see" every file, right
>> ?), then I copy the original /home to the destination.
>> (then I use a difference checking tool, I love FreeFileSync,
>> and verify all is ok)
>
> file mangler? probably not the best way maybe it can do this. maybe it
> will mess up ownerships and permissions.
> cp or rsync are are more likely to work.
>
>> Then would be enough just edit FSTAB, commenting out the old home
>> and mount the new /home to the new partition ?
>> I mean, how to point not to the device as a whole, but to a
>> subfolder on it ?
>
> yes, i guess.
>
>> Could I simply create a SymLink for /home (in the root
>> partition) pointing to the new folder ?
>
> If it's a new folder and not a new partition.

no, it would be on an another partition, and possibly not
even in the "top level". But I thought SYMLINKS were able to
cross file system boundaries (even if unsure if, for
programs, following a symlink is mandatory or if it could
refuse to follow it and simply not be finding their expected
folders for data and config).

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<kedsq1Ft1ruU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1297&group=alt.os.linux#1297

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 13:36:33 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:36 UTC

On 6/7/23 22:15, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 14:17:11 -0400, MarioCPPP
> <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
>> Then
>> would be enough just edit FSTAB, commenting out the old home
>> and mount the new /home to the new partition ?
>> I mean, how to point not to the device as a whole, but to a
>> subfolder on it ?
>>
>> Could I simply create a SymLink for /home (in the root
>> partition) pointing to the new folder ?
>>
>> Tnx in advance for any mistake signalled.
>> Ciao
>
> Assuming the new disk is mounted in /mnt/newdisk at boot time.
>
> Boot to run level 3 (text mode login). Login as root. Use a tool that
> handles
> permissions, symlinks, hidden (dot) files, and sub-directories properly
> such
> as mc to move /home to /mnt/newdisk.
>
> Then create a symlink "ln -s /mnt/newdisk/home /home".

I'm not that much of a fan for symlinks, if I have to use another file
systems subfolder, I tend to use bind mount instead, tend to cause less
issues when the disk is missing for one or another reason.

of course you would need to create the /home after you moved it (mkdir
/home) and then in fstab add:

/mnt/newdisk/home /home none bind 0 0

then "mount /home" and in most cases you won't need to do anything more
than just login as an user.

I do prefer btrfs here as you can just create a subvolume and mount that
one, but not so many tend to like btrfs.

--
//Aho

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<kedt2qFt1rvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1298&group=alt.os.linux#1298

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 13:41:14 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:41 UTC

On 6/8/23 13:27, MarioCPPP wrote:

> The point, summed up, is that the target drive for the new home is NON
> empty and that, possibly, the new home could be attached to a more
> deeply nested folder in that partition.
>
> I am scared that most programs won't be able to find their data and
> config in the original "expected" position ... I'm not sure I have been
> able to explain it properly

Most programs should be following the symlink, there can be cases where
some programs do not like a symlink and therefore there is a better
thing and use bind mount, you can bind mount the directory to /home,
applications will not see a difference from what it had been if you had
mounted a partition or a whole disk as /home.

See my other comment on this thread for a bit more.

--
//Aho

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<u5sgbk$1gkbv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1299&group=alt.os.linux#1299

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 14:08:14 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 12:08 UTC

On 08/06/23 13:36, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 6/7/23 22:15, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 14:17:11 -0400, MarioCPPP
>> <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
>>> Then
>>> would be enough just edit FSTAB, commenting out the old home
>>> and mount the new /home to the new partition ?
>>> I mean, how to point not to the device as a whole, but to a
>>> subfolder on it ?
>>>
>>> Could I simply create a SymLink for /home (in the root
>>> partition) pointing to the new folder ?
>>>
>>> Tnx in advance for any mistake signalled.
>>> Ciao
>>
>> Assuming the new disk is mounted in /mnt/newdisk at boot
>> time.
>>
>> Boot to run level 3 (text mode login). Login as root. Use
>> a tool that handles
>> permissions, symlinks, hidden (dot) files, and
>> sub-directories properly such
>> as mc to move /home to /mnt/newdisk.
>>
>> Then create a symlink "ln -s /mnt/newdisk/home /home".
>
> I'm not that much of a fan for symlinks, if I have to use
> another file systems subfolder, I tend to use bind mount
> instead, tend to cause less issues when the disk is missing
> for one or another reason.
mmm, well, the disk is internal, so this should not be a
problem. But reading your other answer, confirming that
following a symlink is not to be assumed mandatory, I think
I was a bit paranoid but not completely :D
I mean, I tend to use a lot of proprietary SW (expecially
clouds, wallets, stuff like lbry, telegram, freenet, that
tend to very heavily CACHE in "fixed" positions in the home
... hence the need to move it onto a larger and possibly
safer magnetic disk) that could turn their nose up.
I like this idea of BIND MOUNT, but I still don't dare try,
since I have not fully understood some details.

> of course you would need to create the /home after you moved
> it (mkdir /home) and then in fstab add:
>
> /mnt/newdisk/home  /home  none  bind  0 0
is this a complete command to be added to FSTAB ?

> then "mount /home"
a separate, later, command in FSTAB or where ?
If it is elsewhere ... where and how to get its execution
automatic ?
> and in most cases you won't need to do
> anything more than just login as an user.
>

> I do prefer btrfs here as you can just create a subvolume
> and mount that one, but not so many tend to like btrfs.
seems an advanced feature more critical for clumsy people
like me :\

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<u5sgcv$1gkbv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1300&group=alt.os.linux#1300

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 14:08:44 +0200

On 08/06/23 13:36, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 6/7/23 22:15, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 14:17:11 -0400, MarioCPPP
>> <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
>>> Then
>>> would be enough just edit FSTAB, commenting out the old home
>>> and mount the new /home to the new partition ?
>>> I mean, how to point not to the device as a whole, but to a
>>> subfolder on it ?
>>>
>>> Could I simply create a SymLink for /home (in the root
>>> partition) pointing to the new folder ?
>>>
>>> Tnx in advance for any mistake signalled.
>>> Ciao
>>
>> Assuming the new disk is mounted in /mnt/newdisk at boot
>> time.
>>
>> Boot to run level 3 (text mode login). Login as root. Use
>> a tool that handles
>> permissions, symlinks, hidden (dot) files, and
>> sub-directories properly such
>> as mc to move /home to /mnt/newdisk.
>>
>> Then create a symlink "ln -s /mnt/newdisk/home /home".
>
> I'm not that much of a fan for symlinks, if I have to use
> another file systems subfolder, I tend to use bind mount
> instead, tend to cause less issues when the disk is missing
> for one or another reason.
mmm, well, the disk is internal, so this should not be a
problem. But reading your other answer, confirming that
following a symlink is not to be assumed mandatory, I think
I was a bit paranoid but not completely :D
I mean, I tend to use a lot of proprietary SW (expecially
clouds, wallets, stuff like lbry, telegram, freenet, that
tend to very heavily CACHE in "fixed" positions in the home
... hence the need to move it onto a larger and possibly
safer magnetic disk) that could turn their nose up.
I like this idea of BIND MOUNT, but I still don't dare try,
since I have not fully understood some details.

> of course you would need to create the /home after you moved
> it (mkdir /home) and then in fstab add:
>
> /mnt/newdisk/home  /home  none  bind  0 0
is this a complete command to be added to FSTAB ?

> then "mount /home"
a separate, later, command in FSTAB or where ?
If it is elsewhere ... where and how to get its execution
automatic ?
> and in most cases you won't need to do
> anything more than just login as an user.
>

> I do prefer btrfs here as you can just create a subvolume
> and mount that one, but not so many tend to like btrfs.
seems an advanced feature more critical for clumsy people
like me :\

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<kee6urF667U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1301&group=alt.os.linux#1301

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 16:29:47 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 14:29 UTC

On 6/8/23 14:08, MarioCPPP wrote:
> On 08/06/23 13:36, J.O. Aho wrote:

>> of course you would need to create the /home after you moved it (mkdir
>> /home) and then in fstab add:
>>
>> /mnt/newdisk/home  /home  none  bind  0 0
>
> is this a complete command to be added to FSTAB ?

this is what you would add in the fstab as I mentioned just two lines
above the fstab line.
>> then "mount /home"
>
> a separate, later, command in FSTAB or where ?

mount command is what you run on the command line
(console/xterm/konsole/...), if you don't dare to do that, then you can
do the microsoft way of doing things: reboot.

--
//Aho

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<u5t2mp$1iqu1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1302&group=alt.os.linux#1302

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 19:21:29 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 17:21 UTC

On 08/06/23 16:29, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 6/8/23 14:08, MarioCPPP wrote:
>> On 08/06/23 13:36, J.O. Aho wrote:
>
>>> of course you would need to create the /home after you
>>> moved it (mkdir /home) and then in fstab add:
>>>
>>> /mnt/newdisk/home  /home  none  bind  0 0
>>
>> is this a complete command to be added to FSTAB ?
>
> this is what you would add in the fstab as I mentioned just
> two lines above the fstab line.
>>> then "mount /home"
>>
>> a separate, later, command in FSTAB or where ?
>
> mount command is what you run on the command line
> (console/xterm/konsole/...), if you don't dare to do that,
> then you can do the microsoft way of doing things: reboot.

please confirm if I have got it right.
the BIND command is necessary and sufficient, but simply
does not update current status, and no "permanent" mount
command is needed if one just reboots the system.
If so, a reboot is safer for me !
The microsoft way .... :D Well, it hurts, but I guess I
deserve the joke :D ! Tnx

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<qcl9ljxmr2.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1303&group=alt.os.linux#1303

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 21:05:30 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 19:05 UTC

On 2023-06-08 13:17, MarioCPPP wrote:
> On 08/06/23 04:17, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> this step is not so clear to me
>>
>> Ok, suppose you had:
>>
>> /dev/sda35     /home      ext4  defaults  1 2
>>
>> /dev/sdb47     /ANYWHERE  ext4  defaults  1 2
>>

>> You do:
>>
>> /dev/sda35     /home.old  ext4  defaults  1 2
>>
>> /dev/sdb47     /home      ext4  defaults  1 2
>

> I know, frequently I am dumb, but ... the Folder ANYWHERE was not empty,
> and could contain almost anything, and only one of its subfolders would
> actually contain a "non-corrupted" home copy.

Huh, no, the destination partition should be empty. I am assuming it is
freshly formatted. You did not say you were using a disk with things inside.

> Now, correct me if I'm wrong, the mount command would make appear all
> the former structure (plus a nested copy of original home, under the new
> /HOME.

If there is a directory /home.new with contents, and then you do:

mount /dev/sdb47 /home.new

all the previous contents of /home.new will disappear from sight, and
you will only see the contents of /dev/sdb47

> Is this not a problem ? I mean, a lot of SW tend to expect its own-made
> structure for app/data, config, local share and so. Nesting that all
> deeper is fair ?

I did not nest anything. The structure should be clear, you are now
saying things you did not say at the start. This changes things.

> And where it is stated (in the mount command) the real new home "entry
> point" ?

In fstab, or in the command if done as I posted above.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<op.158ln4zca3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1304&group=alt.os.linux#1304

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 16:25:06 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 20:25 UTC

On Thu, 08 Jun 2023 13:21:29 -0400, MarioCPPP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
> please confirm if I have got it right.
>
> the BIND command is necessary and sufficient, but simply
> does not update current status, and no "permanent" mount
> command is needed if one just reboots the system.
> If so, a reboot is safer for me !
>
> The microsoft way .... :D Well, it hurts, but I guess I
> deserve the joke :D ! Tnx

The mount command using the --bind option takes effect immediately, but does
not survive rebooting.

Adding the line to /etc/fstab will only take effect when booting or rebooting.

If the entry is added to /etc/fstab and the mount comand is run, then the
change takes effect immediately and will survive a reboot.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<op.158ld4tba3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1305&group=alt.os.linux#1305

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 16:19:06 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 20:19 UTC

On Thu, 08 Jun 2023 07:27:43 -0400, MarioCPPP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
> Could you also give an opinion about my doubt (expressed in
> a question to Mr Carlos E.R. in this thread) ?
>
> The point, summed up, is that the target drive for the new
> home is NON empty and that, possibly, the new home could be
> attached to a more deeply nested folder in that partition.
>
> I am scared that most programs won't be able to find their
> data and config in the original "expected" position ... I'm
> not sure I have been able to explain it properly (nor that
> this would be a problem or not) ... If so, having home at
> the TOP LEVEL in the structure, would solve ?
> Despite many years of Linux using, I still tend to think the
> disks as the FOREST (as it was under Windows) and I am
> poorly able to figure out where exactly they are attached to
> the SINGLE TREE that is Unix File System.
> So I cannot manage in "imagination" the prepended prefix to
> the new home (like /Pippo/media/NewPartition/Pippo/home) and
> if this may originate problems in a program that does not
> expect "/Pippo/media/NewPartition/" but plain "/".
>
> Maybe, but also unsure, SYMLINK under "/" pointing to the
> new home would cheat the SW ? Is it mandatory following a
> symlink or a SW (i.d. cryptocoin wallets, telegram, clouds
> and so) could refuse to find the relocated home ?

I've moved directories and then used a symlink pointing to them many times
and never encountered a problem due to that. While there is some software
that will use the realpath (see man realpath), it still works.

I've done it in the middle of a system upgrade when I realized the upgrade
was going to run out of space in one partition without moving things around.

Most programs will follow symlinks with the effect that looking at the symlink
transparently replaces all references to the symlink with the file or directory
the symlink points to. The programs that don't follow symlinks show you the
symlink and the name it points to. The ones that don't follow symlinks do so
intentionally so that you can see the symlink.

A bind mount works in a way very similar to a symlink. The difference is that
a bind mount hides the directory used as the mount point and anything in it.

With a symlink programs can see that it is a symlink or look at what the symlink
points to. With a bind mount, it's invisible unless you look in /proc/mounts or
the output of a program that reads /proc/mounts, such as the mount command.

See https://www.tecmint.com/everything-is-file-and-types-of-files-linux/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting_process_of_Linux

I advocate skimming documentation like this. Don't try to memorize it, just
learn the concepts and where to look for details if wanted later.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<1aq9ljx44v.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1306&group=alt.os.linux#1306

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 22:29:21 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 20:29 UTC

On 2023-06-08 13:27, MarioCPPP wrote:
> On 08/06/23 01:18, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 19:09:29 -0400, David W. Hodgins
>> <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> Could you also give an opinion about my doubt (expressed in a question
> to Mr Carlos E.R. in this thread) ?
>
> The point, summed up, is that the target drive for the new home is NON
> empty and that, possibly, the new home could be attached to a more
> deeply nested folder in that partition.

/dev/sdb47 /home.dirty ext4 defaults 1 2
/home.dirty/home.new /home none bind 0 2

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: [debian] move /home folder to an existing, non empty, different disk and partition

<u5ul3c$1rmhh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1307&group=alt.os.linux#1307

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
disk and partition
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 09:41:31 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 07:41 UTC

On 08/06/23 22:19, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> [...]
> intentionally so that you can see the symlink.
>
> A bind mount works in a way very similar to a symlink. The
> difference is that
> a bind mount hides the directory used as the mount point and
> anything in it.
>
> With a symlink programs can see that it is a symlink or look
> at what the symlink
> points to. With a bind mount, it's invisible unless you look
> in /proc/mounts or
> the output of a program that reads /proc/mounts, such as the
> mount command.
>
> See
> https://www.tecmint.com/everything-is-file-and-types-of-files-linux/
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting_process_of_Linux
>
> I advocate skimming documentation like this. Don't try to
> memorize it, just
> learn the concepts and where to look for details if wanted

strangely, I have understood well your point (you explained
it very clearly).
Bind is sort of "override" (that hides the overridden) while
symlink is a good "hint" to follow it but nothing more.
Name hiding is common in programming and "overloading" of
methods.

I must say the bind method will fit best for me, as I will
MOVE completely the data on the larger partition, then empty
the original home, so no need to make it accessible any
longer I guess.

Intresting topic unexpected to me !
Ciao