Xerox never comes up with anything original.

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

SubjectAuthor
* Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conductEnrico Papaloma
+* Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conductYour Name
> [...]
| |  `- Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conductAlan
| `- Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conductYour Name
+- Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conductJoerg Lorenz
+* Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conductAlan Browne
|`* Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conductGelato
| +* Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conductAlan Browne
| |`- Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conductGelato
| `* Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conductYour Name
|  `- Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conductGelato
`- Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conductChris

Pages:123
Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<uttqcd$1d8k$1@news.gegeweb.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13097&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13097

From: enrico@papaloma.net (Enrico Papaloma)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 07:35:58 +0100
 by: Enrico Papaloma - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 06:35 UTC

At least three proposed class actions have been filed since Friday in
California and New Jersey federal courts by iPhone owners who claim Apple
inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct.

The lawsuits, seeking to represent millions of consumers, mirror the
Justice Department's claims that Apple violated U.S. antitrust law by
suppressing technology for messaging apps, digital wallets and other items
that would have increased competition in the market for smartphones.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/consumers-sue-apple-taking-page-us-justice-department-lawsuit-2024-03-25/

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<uttqvn$1ll59$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13098&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13098

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 19:46:15 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 06:46 UTC

On 2024-03-26 06:35:58 +0000, Enrico Papaloma said:

> At least three proposed class actions have been filed since Friday in
> California and New Jersey federal courts by iPhone owners who claim Apple
> inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct.
>
> The lawsuits, seeking to represent millions of consumers, mirror the
> Justice Department's claims that Apple violated U.S. antitrust law by
> suppressing technology for messaging apps, digital wallets and other items
> that would have increased competition in the market for smartphones.
>
> https://www.reuters.com/technology/consumers-sue-apple-taking-page-us-justice-department-lawsuit-2024-03-25/

Oh dear, even more greedy brainless morons jumping on the bandwagon. :-(

If you don't like the Apple products, simply go and buy Microsoft,
Android, etc. products instead. There's a massive array of other
choices for the dumbasses to use.

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utu3gu$1n9vm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13099&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13099

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive
conduct
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:11:58 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:11 UTC

On 26.03.24 07:35, Enrico Papaloma wrote:
> At least three proposed class actions have been filed since Friday in
> California and New Jersey federal courts by iPhone owners who claim Apple
> inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct.

Bullshit, little Arlen!

From: Enrico Papaloma <enrico@papaloma.net>

--
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utu3it$1n9vm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13100&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13100

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
conduct
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:13:01 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:13 UTC

On 26.03.24 07:46, Your Name wrote:
> On 2024-03-26 06:35:58 +0000, Enrico Papaloma said:
>>
>> At least three proposed class actions have been filed since Friday in
>> California and New Jersey federal courts by iPhone owners who claim Apple
>> inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct.
>>
>> The lawsuits, seeking to represent millions of consumers, mirror the
>> Justice Department's claims that Apple violated U.S. antitrust law by
>> suppressing technology for messaging apps, digital wallets and other items
>> that would have increased competition in the market for smartphones.
>>
>> https://www.reuters.com/technology/consumers-sue-apple-taking-page-us-justice-department-lawsuit-2024-03-25/
>>

> Oh dear, even more greedy brainless morons jumping on the bandwagon. :-(

This is Arlen. Injection-Info: vpngate.v4.open.ad.jp

--
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<xn0ojrzqr8liuat003@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13102&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13102

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:05:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:05 UTC

Your Name wrote:

>On 2024-03-26 06:35:58 +0000, Enrico Papaloma said:
>>
>>At least three proposed class actions have been filed since Friday
>>in California and New Jersey federal courts by iPhone owners who
>>claim Apple inflated the cost of its products through
>>anticompetitive conduct.
>>
>>The lawsuits, seeking to represent millions of consumers, mirror the
>>Justice Department's claims that Apple violated U.S. antitrust law
>>by suppressing technology for messaging apps, digital wallets and
>>other items that would have increased competition in the market for
>>smartphones.
>>
>>https://www.reuters.com/technology/consumers-sue-apple-taking-page-u
>>s-justice-department-lawsuit-2024-03-25/
>
>Oh dear, even more greedy brainless morons jumping on the bandwagon.
>:-(
>
>If you don't like the Apple products, simply go and buy Microsoft,
>Android, etc. products instead. There's a massive array of other
>choices for the dumbasses to use.

Are there realistic alternatives to Apple Pay or iMessage? Samsung Pay
or Google Pay are not accepted by most vendors that accept Apple Pay.

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<xn0ojrzr78ljfhf004@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13103&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13103

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:06:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:06 UTC

Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>On 26.03.24 07:46, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2024-03-26 06:35:58 +0000, Enrico Papaloma said:
>>>
>>> At least three proposed class actions have been filed since
>>>Friday in California and New Jersey federal courts by iPhone
>>>owners who claim Apple inflated the cost of its products through
>>>anticompetitive conduct.
>>>
>>> The lawsuits, seeking to represent millions of consumers, mirror
>>>the Justice Department's claims that Apple violated U.S.
>>>antitrust law by suppressing technology for messaging apps,
>>>digital wallets and other items that would have increased
>>>competition in the market for smartphones.
>>>

>>>https://www.reuters.com/technology/consumers-sue-apple-taking-page-us-justice-department-lawsuit-2024-03-25/
>>>

>> Oh dear, even more greedy brainless morons jumping on the
>>bandwagon. :-(
>
>This is Arlen. Injection-Info: vpngate.v4.open.ad.jp

How can you be so wrong all the time?

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<ViBMN.104140$_a1e.94399@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13109&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13109

conduct
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:52:37 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 14:52 UTC

On 2024-03-26 02:35, Enrico Papaloma wrote:
> At least three proposed class actions have been filed since Friday in
> California and New Jersey federal courts by iPhone owners who claim Apple
> inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct.
>
> The lawsuits, seeking to represent millions of consumers, mirror the
> Justice Department's claims that Apple violated U.S. antitrust law by
> suppressing technology for messaging apps, digital wallets and other items
> that would have increased competition in the market for smartphones.
>
> https://www.reuters.com/technology/consumers-sue-apple-taking-page-us-justice-department-lawsuit-2024-03-25/

Yes, to get this crap off the ground you have to have your stooges...
classic.

--
“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utuoaj$1t74$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13111&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13111

From: mickeydavis078XX@ptd.net (Mickey D)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:06:59 -0400
sha1:YNHQowiT1pgbdSTDmTtAMR6gUwY= sha256:XvoaiSZyzZcuhMHs0frt2JpedMNcmj4S8c2Cf2qFXR4=
 by: Mickey D - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:06 UTC

On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 19:46:15 +1300, Your Name wrote:

> If you don't like the Apple products, simply go and buy Microsoft

That's no different than you saying if you don't like the crime in NYC,
move to Mexico. It doesn't change that the laws are what matter.

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utuqaf$ouj$1@rasp.pasdenom.info>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13115&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13115

From: gelato@.is.invalid (Gelato)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:41:02 -0400
sha1:fUytu1EyH/02tjzmw4BwN5lAUhU= sha256:4Wt1UDuM9qqTrfMYzlHLqC2Kv5tEbmF76nPiEgYTQgE=
Abuse-backup: sgr59@free.fr
 by: Gelato - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:41 UTC

On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:52:37 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

>> https://www.reuters.com/technology/consumers-sue-apple-taking-page-us-justice-department-lawsuit-2024-03-25/
>
> Yes, to get this crap off the ground you have to have your stooges...
> classic.

Are there any lawyers on this newsgroup?

Many times Apple paid huge sums for their unethical behavior to settle
cases (without admitting guilt) where some of those settlements for Apple's
unethical behavior are with the government, but others are with individual
state's class action suits (like this new set seems to be for CA & NJ).

Does one loss take precedence over the other?

That is, if the DOJ successfully penalizes Apple's unethical behavior in
the federal lawsuit, does that loss leave open these class action lawsuits?

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utuvvb$1u75s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13116&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13116

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
conduct
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:17:31 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 17:17 UTC

Am 26.03.24 um 13:06 schrieb badgolferman:
> Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>>> Oh dear, even more greedy brainless morons jumping on the
>>> bandwagon. :-(
>>
>> This is Arlen. Injection-Info: vpngate.v4.open.ad.jp
>

> How can you be so wrong all the time?

I'm right but you are the brain dead Troll of the group for years with
your meaningless OT-threads you open all the time.

I even suspect that you coordinate with Arlen and all his
reincarnations. My goodness you must be bored!

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utv36g$292p7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13117&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13117

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
conduct
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:12:32 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:12 UTC

On 2024-03-26 05:05, badgolferman wrote:
> Your Name wrote:
>
>> On 2024-03-26 06:35:58 +0000, Enrico Papaloma said:
>>>
>>> At least three proposed class actions have been filed since Friday
>>> in California and New Jersey federal courts by iPhone owners who
>>> claim Apple inflated the cost of its products through
>>> anticompetitive conduct.
>>>
>>> The lawsuits, seeking to represent millions of consumers, mirror the
>>> Justice Department's claims that Apple violated U.S. antitrust law
>>> by suppressing technology for messaging apps, digital wallets and
>>> other items that would have increased competition in the market for
>>> smartphones.
>>>
>>> https://www.reuters.com/technology/consumers-sue-apple-taking-page-u
>>> s-justice-department-lawsuit-2024-03-25/
>>
>> Oh dear, even more greedy brainless morons jumping on the bandwagon.
>> :-(
>>
>> If you don't like the Apple products, simply go and buy Microsoft,
>> Android, etc. products instead. There's a massive array of other
>> choices for the dumbasses to use.
>

> Are there realistic alternatives to Apple Pay or iMessage Samsung Pay > or Google Pay are not accepted by most vendors that accept Apple Pay.

How is that Apple's problem?

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utv37u$292p7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13118&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13118

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
conduct
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:13:18 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:13 UTC

On 2024-03-26 08:06, Mickey D wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 19:46:15 +1300, Your Name wrote:
>
>> If you don't like the Apple products, simply go and buy Microsoft
>
> That's no different than you saying if you don't like the crime in NYC,
> move to Mexico. It doesn't change that the laws are what matter.

Making a product that most people like so much that they keep buying it
is not a crime.

Articulate how Apple is supposed to have committed a crime

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<HBEMN.115685$Sf59.83995@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13122&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13122

conduct
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 14:37:27 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:37 UTC

On 2024-03-26 11:41, Gelato wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:52:37 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>>> https://www.reuters.com/technology/consumers-sue-apple-taking-page-us-justice-department-lawsuit-2024-03-25/
>>
>> Yes, to get this crap off the ground you have to have your stooges...
>> classic.
>
> Are there any lawyers on this newsgroup?
>
> Many times Apple paid huge sums for their unethical behavior to settle
> cases (without admitting guilt) where some of those settlements for Apple's
> unethical behavior are with the government, but others are with individual
> state's class action suits (like this new set seems to be for CA & NJ).

Casting shade (again) doesn't make it fact.

> Does one loss take precedence over the other?
>
> That is, if the DOJ successfully penalizes Apple's unethical behavior in
> the federal lawsuit, does that loss leave open these class action lawsuits?

The class action, once certified, goes on its own. The class lawyers
will use every bit of ammo from any other case that they can, of course.

--
“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”
- Charles de Gaulle.

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utv4sh$29ndl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13123&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13123

From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through
anticompetitive conduct
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:41:21 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:s06uudveDlUiZvjqWUkc2qFvkdI=
 by: Cameo - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:41 UTC

Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2024-03-26 08:06, Mickey D wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 19:46:15 +1300, Your Name wrote:
>>
>>> If you don't like the Apple products, simply go and buy Microsoft
>>
>> That's no different than you saying if you don't like the crime in NYC,
>> move to Mexico. It doesn't change that the laws are what matter.
>
> Making a product that most people like so much that they keep buying it
> is not a crime.
>
> Articulate how Apple is supposed to have committed a crime

Besides, nobody is forced to buy Apple products. There are plenty of
alternatives.

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<xn0ojsci092u2k4000@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13124&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13124

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:10:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:10 UTC

Alan wrote:

>>>If you don't like the Apple products, simply go and buy Microsoft,
>>>Android, etc. products instead. There's a massive array of other
>>>choices for the dumbasses to use.
>>

>>Are there realistic alternatives to Apple Pay or iMessage Samsung
>>Pay > or Google Pay are not accepted by most vendors that accept
>>Apple Pay.
>
>How is that Apple's problem?

You said there were other choices.

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utvenh$2c3mc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13125&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13125

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
conduct
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 14:29:21 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 21:29 UTC

On 2024-03-26 13:10, badgolferman wrote:

>>> Are there realistic alternatives to Apple Pay or iMessage Samsung
>>> Pay > or Google Pay are not accepted by most vendors that accept
>>> Apple Pay.
>>
>> How is that Apple's problem?
>
> You said there were other choices.

There are.

It's not Apple's problem that they aren't as popular with people

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utvik5$2d09f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13129&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13129

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:35:50 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:35 UTC

On 2024-03-26 12:05:40 +0000, badgolferman said:
> Your Name wrote:
>> On 2024-03-26 06:35:58 +0000, Enrico Papaloma said:
>>>
>>> At least three proposed class actions have been filed since Friday
>>> in California and New Jersey federal courts by iPhone owners who
>>> claim Apple inflated the cost of its products through
>>> anticompetitive conduct.
>>>
>>> The lawsuits, seeking to represent millions of consumers, mirror the
>>> Justice Department's claims that Apple violated U.S. antitrust law
>>> by suppressing technology for messaging apps, digital wallets and
>>> other items that would have increased competition in the market for
>>> smartphones.
>>>
>>> https://www.reuters.com/technology/consumers-sue-apple-taking-page-u
>>> s-justice-department-lawsuit-2024-03-25/
>>
>> Oh dear, even more greedy brainless morons jumping on the bandwagon.
>> :-(
>>
>> If you don't like the Apple products, simply go and buy Microsoft,
>> Android, etc. products instead. There's a massive array of other
>> choices for the dumbasses to use.
>
> Are there realistic alternatives to Apple Pay or iMessage? Samsung Pay
> or Google Pay are not accepted by most vendors that accept Apple Pay.

It's not even remotely Apple's fault that those other companies
products are near useless. That's why most people use Apple in the
first place - "it just works".

If those other products and services aren't working properly, then go
complain to Samsung, Google, etc., or if you're American you can sue
those companies.

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utvipv$2d0ut$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13130&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13130

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:38:55 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:38 UTC

On 2024-03-26 20:10:17 +0000, badgolferman said:

>>> Are there realistic alternatives to Apple Pay or iMessage Samsung
>>> Pay > or Google Pay are not accepted by most vendors that accept
>>> Apple Pay.
>>
>> How is that Apple's problem?
>
> You said there were other choices.

There *are* other choices. There are even other payment options that
{shock, horror} do not even require a smartphone at all.

It's not Apple's problem if the other "smartphone wallets", etc. are
near useless. That's like saying your Honda is awful, so you'll sue
Toyota. It's moronically stupid. :-\

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utvitg$2d2de$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13131&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13131

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:40:48 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:40 UTC

On 2024-03-26 15:06:59 +0000, Mickey D said:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 19:46:15 +1300, Your Name wrote:
>>
>> If you don't like the Apple products, simply go and buy Microsoft
>
> That's no different than you saying if you don't like the crime in NYC,
> move to Mexico. It doesn't change that the laws are what matter.

Apple has not broken any laws. :-\
They've simply provided products and services that actually work
properly, unlike most of their competitor's awful products / services
.... that's why people use Apple in the first place!

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utvj3h$2d3oc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13132&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13132

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:44:01 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:44 UTC

On 2024-03-26 15:41:02 +0000, Gelato said:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:52:37 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.reuters.com/technology/consumers-sue-apple-taking-page-us-justice-department-lawsuit-2024-03-25/
>>>

>> Yes, to get this crap off the ground you have to have your stooges...
>> classic.
>
> Are there any lawyers on this newsgroup?
>
> Many times Apple paid huge sums for their unethical behavior to settle
> cases (without admitting guilt) where some of those settlements for Apple's
> unethical behavior are with the government, but others are with individual
> state's class action suits (like this new set seems to be for CA & NJ).
>
> Does one loss take precedence over the other?
>
> That is, if the DOJ successfully penalizes Apple's unethical behavior in
> the federal lawsuit, does that loss leave open these class action lawsuits?

You do relaise that despite the usual misleading sensationalist
headlines, many of these latest idiotic lawsuits are aimed at *all* the
big tech companies: Google, Meta, Microsoft, etc. ... not just Apple.

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utvq8c$2ek50$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13137&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13137

From: Hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
conduct
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 19:46:04 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 00:46 UTC

badgolferman wrote:
> Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>>> Oh dear, even more greedy brainless morons jumping on the
>>> bandwagon. :-(
>>
>> This is Arlen. Injection-Info: vpngate.v4.open.ad.jp
>

> How can you be so wrong all the time?

Jughead sees arlen *EVERYWHERE*

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utvuh7$3k6o1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13140&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13140

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 07:29:03 +0530
 by: Indira - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 01:59 UTC

Cameo wrote:

>> Articulate how Apple is supposed to have committed a crime
>>

> Besides, nobody is forced to buy Apple products. There are plenty of
> alternatives.

Did not a single one of you dumb Apple nut cases read the DOJ brief?

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utvulv$sp7$1@rasp.pasdenom.info>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13141&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13141

From: gelato@.is.invalid (Gelato)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:01:35 -0400
sha1:O2ei418RkP2bdxkdeUm+AR16ZjE= sha256:CTElg+8Q6b+7E4u3app7V2HcQlxbAcP2i2QVuEo5tWA=
Abuse-backup: sgr59@free.fr
 by: Gelato - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 02:01 UTC

On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 14:37:27 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

>> Does one loss take precedence over the other?
>>
>> That is, if the DOJ successfully penalizes Apple's unethical behavior in
>> the federal lawsuit, does that loss leave open these class action lawsuits?
>
> The class action, once certified, goes on its own. The class lawyers
> will use every bit of ammo from any other case that they can, of course.

Thanks. So they're separate. Good to know. Much appreciated.
I hope Apple prevails.

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<utvv77$tki$1@rasp.pasdenom.info>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13144&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13144

From: gelato@.is.invalid (Gelato)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:10:47 -0400
sha1:aIZSrVaHKqUtkTYB5bpJEJhWz64= sha256:34Tr23VRJDWtO7l4tqTk/x8bpJuEO8wZ8y+iVC6mkeM=
Abuse-backup: sgr59@free.fr
 by: Gelato - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 02:10 UTC

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:44:01 +1300, Your Name wrote:

>> That is, if the DOJ successfully penalizes Apple's unethical behavior in
>> the federal lawsuit, does that loss leave open these class action lawsuits?
>
> You do relaise that despite the usual misleading sensationalist
> headlines, many of these latest idiotic lawsuits are aimed at *all* the
> big tech companies: Google, Meta, Microsoft, etc. ... not just Apple.

+1

Lawyers keep companies honest, so I wouldn't be surprised if the recent
Apple $490 million loss in court due to Tim Cook misleading investors
happens also to those others you named, Google, Meta & Microsoft.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/15/apple-reaches-490-million-settlement-over-tim-cooks-china-sales-comments-.html

When I google, I see google paid $700 million in 2023 for what Apple did.
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2023-12-19/google-to-pay-700-million-to-us-states-consumers-in-app-store-settlement

And Meta paid $725 million in 2022 for leaking its users privacy records.
https://www.reuters.com/legal/facebook-parent-meta-pay-725-mln-settle-lawsuit-relating-cambridge-analytica-2022-12-23/

But it's much harder to find Microsoft losing similar lawsuits recently.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/business/2002/06/04/sec-says-microsoft-broke-law/3ac765b3-cdd8-4abb-a068-2d0e12a895eb/

Do you have a more recent lawsuit where lawyers had to keep Microsoft
honest as they are doing in the past three years for Apple, Meta & Google?

Re: Apple inflated the cost of its products through anticompetitive conduct

<l6hfseF5vmnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13145&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13145

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
conduct
Date: 27 Mar 2024 02:50:54 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 02:50 UTC

On 2024-03-26, badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Are there realistic alternatives to Apple Pay or iMessage Samsung Pay
>>
>>How is that Apple's problem?
>
> You said there were other choices.

How dare a company make unique products and services! HANG THEM!!!

JR