When I left you, I was but the pupil. Now, I am the master. -- Darth Vader

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

SubjectAuthor
* Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Mickey D
+* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Your Name
|+- Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-badgolferman
|`* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Chris
| `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Joerg Lorenz
|  `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Mickey D
|   `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Jörg Lorenz
|    `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Mickey D
|     +- Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Jörg Lorenz
|     +* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Chris
|     |`* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Mickey D
|     | `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Chris
|     |  `- Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Tyrone
|     `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Your Name
|      +- Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Indira
|      `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Peter Piper
|       `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Cameo
|        `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Jörg Lorenz
|         `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-badgolferman
|          `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Jörg Lorenz
|           `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Jolly Roger
|            `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-*Hemidactylus*
|             `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Mickey D
|              `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Alan
|               `- Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Tyrone
+* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Jörg Lorenz
|`- Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Hank Rogers
+- Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Jolly Roger
`* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Alan Browne
 `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Peter
  `* Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Jolly Roger
   `- Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Bob Campbell

Pages:12
Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvs00n$cmd$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13620&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13620

From: mickeydavis078XX@ptd.net (Mickey D)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:32:23 -0400
sha1:81R8mO+KkQ+NpfjSAwRquCfXVrM= sha256:JOaHcKhSr86u559es8H8ZkeMw6YpjKTkClShDhrL0O4=
 by: Mickey D - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 20:32 UTC

The recommendation by Trust Wallet is to disable iMessage until Apple
figures out how so many holes have been recently found in their platform.

Trust Wallet has stated that dark web hackers are targeting iPhone and iOS
users through zero-day exploits in Apple's default messaging app, iMessage.
The Trust Wallet warning suggests that the exploitation corridor has
existed on these Apple devices since the beginning of Apple's messaging
system, which proves a huge hole is in Apple's testing infrastructure.

Trust Wallet recommends completely disabling iMessage from Apple settings
to mitigate the issue while waiting for code fixes. Currently, Apple has
not addressed nor denied these claims as the problem is lack of testing for
zero-day holes in Apple's messaging system.

Be informed this is not Apple's first warning of holes in Apple's testing.
Trust Wallet is the second crypto wallet app to recently warn users about
issues related to Apple's lack of testing for security vulnerabilities.

Previously, the Bitcoin wallet UniSat informed users about fake apps
impersonating them on the App Store. And just last month, the crypto
community became aware of the GoFetch attack vector on Apple's products.

That apple vulnerability allows hackers to steal cryptographic keys due to
an untested CPU cache bug in Apple's MacBook M1, M2, and M3 computer chips.

The company has acknowledged the issue due to Apple's lack of testing, but
details about a security patch have not yet emerged.

As a precautionary measure, advice from industry players like the CEO of
Errata Security, Robert Graham, suggests that users with significant crypto
assets should transfer their assets away from Apple's untested iOS devices.

Trust Wallet's warning to iOS users about the iMessage vulnerability
underscores the critical importance of Apple's inherent historic lack of
spending money to address security concerns in Apple's mobile platforms.

The fact all these security holes exist shows Apple's pervasive
advertisements to the contrary to be nothing more than brazen falsehoods.

This new indication of high-risk attacks via Apple's iMessage highlights
the evolving sophistication of cyber threats targeting cryptocurrency
users, where Apple's lack of testing makes everyone using iOS vulnerable.

The recommendation to disable iMessage temporarily as a mitigation strategy
reflects the urgency of the situation while awaiting fixes from Apple.
However, the lack of official response from Apple leaves users in a
precarious position, emphasizing the need for timely action to safeguard
sensitive assets.

Trust Wallet's alert adds to a growing chorus of concerns regarding Apple's
security infrastructure, with previous warnings from other crypto wallet
apps and recent revelations about the GoFetch attack vector amplifying the
urgency for robust security measures.

As the crypto community grapples with these vulnerabilities, proactive
steps, such as transferring significant crypto assets from iOS devices, are
advised to mitigate potential risks. Ultimately, this episode underscores
the ongoing importance of vigilance and collaboration among industry
stakeholders to ensure the security of digital assets in an increasingly
interconnected digital landscape.

https://www.bulbapp.io/p/89113c83-fc9b-41ca-a62a-cfebca540f11/trust-wallet-warns-ios-users-about-imessage-vulnerability

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvs78b$2glca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13624&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13624

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:35:55 +1200
 by: Your Name - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 22:35 UTC

On 2024-04-18 20:32:23 +0000, Mickey D said:

> The recommendation by Trust Wallet ...

Stay *WELL* away from all scam "cryptocurrency" bollocks.

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvsg2f$4ed6$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13626&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13626

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users
About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 01:06:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 01:06 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2024-04-18 20:32:23 +0000, Mickey D said:
>>
>> The recommendation by Trust Wallet ...
>
> Stay *WELL* away from all scam "cryptocurrency" bollocks.

Okay, no cryptocurrency for me. Now what about iMessage?

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvsuvl$2oiks$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13629&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13629

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New
iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 07:20:53 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 05:20 UTC

Am 18.04.24 um 22:32 schrieb Mickey D:
> The recommendation by Trust Wallet is to disable iMessage until Apple
> figures out how so many holes have been recently found in their platform.
>
> Trust Wallet has stated that dark web hackers are targeting iPhone and iOS
> users through zero-day exploits in Apple's default messaging app, iMessage.

Who the fuck is Trust Wallet? Why sould I listen to them instead of Apple?

You are an idiot and Troll!

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<66221759$5$1258345$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13631&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13631

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: invalid@nospam.com (Hank Rogers)
Date: 19 Apr 2024 07:03:54 GMT
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 07:03 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 18.04.24 um 22:32 schrieb Mickey D:
>> The recommendation by Trust Wallet is to disable iMessage until Apple
>> figures out how so many holes have been recently found in their platform.
>>
>> Trust Wallet has stated that dark web hackers are targeting iPhone and iOS
>> users through zero-day exploits in Apple's default messaging app, iMessage.
>
> Who the fuck is Trust Wallet? Why sould I listen to them instead of Apple?
>
> You are an idiot and Troll!

Jughead, are you sure he’s not Arlen?

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvthlq$2us07$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13632&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13632

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 11:39:54 +0100
 by: Chris - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:39 UTC

On 18/04/2024 23:35, Your Name wrote:
> On 2024-04-18 20:32:23 +0000, Mickey D said:
>>
>> The recommendation by Trust Wallet ...
>
> Stay *WELL* away from all scam "cryptocurrency" bollocks.

Yeah, this isn't new news.

It's just a rehash of the recent hardware flaw discovered in Apple
M-series cpus. The biggest risk - although still tiny - from the flaw is
cryptography, hence why the crypto community are concerned.

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvtnjo$30617$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13633&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13633

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:21:12 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 12:21 UTC

On 19.04.24 12:39, Chris wrote:
> On 18/04/2024 23:35, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2024-04-18 20:32:23 +0000, Mickey D said:
>>>
>>> The recommendation by Trust Wallet ...
>>
>> Stay *WELL* away from all scam "cryptocurrency" bollocks.
>
> Yeah, this isn't new news.
>
> It's just a rehash of the recent hardware flaw discovered in Apple
> M-series cpus. The biggest risk - although still tiny - from the flaw is
> cryptography, hence why the crypto community are concerned.

Has nothing to do with iMsg as claimed by the OP.

--
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvtuvc$1tgq$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13635&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13635

From: mickeydavis078XX@ptd.net (Mickey D)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:26:53 -0400
sha1:rXlfqaMKkCXq/XSwUC9X5tUC7aI= sha256:8Fdu6pwCHRTTOZvm9gAnm1HE8eqXjzUoRDsJanC89is=
 by: Mickey D - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:26 UTC

On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:21:12 +0200, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>>> Stay *WELL* away from all scam "cryptocurrency" bollocks.
>>
>> Yeah, this isn't new news.
>>
>> It's just a rehash of the recent hardware flaw discovered in Apple
>> M-series cpus. The biggest risk - although still tiny - from the flaw is
>> cryptography, hence why the crypto community are concerned.
>
> Has nothing to do with iMsg as claimed by the OP.

You're confused by the huge number of Apple zero-day holes, only some of
which are known to be found in Apple's M-series unpatchably flawed chips.

However, it's not yet fully clear that this $2 million iOS zero-day is what
the hackers claim it to be, according to the news that is all over the net.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/24/04/18/exploit-seller-wants-2-million-for-a-zero-day-imessage-attack-vector-that-probably-doesnt-exist

"It's important to note, as Tech Crunch highlights, that there is currently
no definitive proof of the exploit's existence. The proof is derived from a
dark web advertisement for something called "iMessage Exploit."
https://techcrunch.com/2024/04/16/a-crypto-wallet-makers-warning-about-an-imessage-bug-sounds-like-a-false-alarm/

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvu16f$31vcr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13636&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13636

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:04:47 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:04 UTC

Am 19.04.24 um 16:26 schrieb Mickey D:

>>> Yeah, this isn't new news.
>>>
>>> It's just a rehash of the recent hardware flaw discovered in Apple
>>> M-series cpus. The biggest risk - although still tiny - from the flaw is
>>> cryptography, hence why the crypto community are concerned.
>>
>> Has nothing to do with iMsg as claimed by the OP.
>
> You're confused by the huge number of Apple zero-day holes, only some of
> which are known to be found in Apple's M-series unpatchably flawed chips.

M-series chips have nothing to do with iOS.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvu21u$r8b$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13637&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13637

From: mickeydavis078XX@ptd.net (Mickey D)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 11:19:26 -0400
sha1:4MFqVvvLYae5865Vo5xwIpqVI4c= sha256:QZ7H6jLjPbtmcTIyxUMPAEAmnJCUV2ZHEEcTXBBHpdk=
 by: Mickey D - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:19 UTC

On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:04:47 +0200, Jörg Lorenz wrote:

>>> Has nothing to do with iMsg as claimed by the OP.
>>
>> You're confused by the huge number of Apple zero-day holes, only some of
>> which are known to be found in Apple's M-series unpatchably flawed chips.
>
> M-series chips have nothing to do with iOS.

Nobody said it did. You are confused by the huge number of zero day holes
in Apple's products that you can't separate which of those many zero-day
holes are in iMessage (which can be patched) and which of the holes are in
Apple's millions of hopelessly flawed CPU chips (which can't be patched).

Back to the subject matter at hand, the net has been flooded with the
suggestion for iOS users to disable iMessages due to a "credible" warning.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/digital-assets/2024/04/17/disable-imessages-asap-high-risk-alert-issued-over-credible-iphone-exploit/

For days, that has been the news but more recently the news has tempered
that dire warning saying that the evidence is mostly in hackers' news.
https://crypto.news/trust-wallet-warns-apple-ios-users-of-imessage-vulnerability/

Non-hacker news has recently been reporting that it could be a false alarm.
https://www.androidheadlines.com/2024/04/iphone-users-warned-about-imessage-exploit-but-it-could-be-fake.html

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvu29t$31vcs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13638&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13638

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:23:41 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:23 UTC

Am 19.04.24 um 17:19 schrieb Mickey D:

>>> You're confused by the huge number of Apple zero-day holes, only some of
>>> which are known to be found in Apple's M-series unpatchably flawed chips.
>>
>> M-series chips have nothing to do with iOS.
>
> Nobody said it did.

You did. You logical capabilites are very limited.

EOD

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvu4fq$331ev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13639&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13639

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:00:57 +0100
 by: Chris - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:00 UTC

On 19/04/2024 16:19, Mickey D wrote:

>>> You're confused by the huge number of Apple zero-day holes, only some of
>>> which are known to be found in Apple's M-series unpatchably flawed chips.
>>
>> M-series chips have nothing to do with iOS.
>
> Nobody said it did. You are confused by the huge number of zero day holes
> in Apple's products that you can't separate which of those many zero-day
> holes are in iMessage (which can be patched) and which of the holes are in
> Apple's millions of hopelessly flawed CPU chips (which can't be patched).
>
> Back to the subject matter at hand, the net has been flooded with the
> suggestion for iOS users to disable iMessages due to a "credible" warning.
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/digital-assets/2024/04/17/disable-imessages-asap-high-risk-alert-issued-over-credible-iphone-exploit/
>
> For days, that has been the news but more recently the news has tempered
> that dire warning saying that the evidence is mostly in hackers' news.
> https://crypto.news/trust-wallet-warns-apple-ios-users-of-imessage-vulnerability/
>
> Non-hacker news has recently been reporting that it could be a false alarm.
> https://www.androidheadlines.com/2024/04/iphone-users-warned-about-imessage-exploit-but-it-could-be-fake.html

These are all reporting on the Trust Wallet story. That's not a flood,
just an echo.

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvu65t$1g20$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13640&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13640

From: mickeydavis078XX@ptd.net (Mickey D)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 12:29:49 -0400
sha1:ofBH5e1+m/5l2YNP1JR7Qx59KtU= sha256:Rx2sH7gw5p4Tp8Yx5JuRaZELiC50KpDY9Egh/dsysio=
 by: Mickey D - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:29 UTC

On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:00:57 +0100, Chris wrote:

>> Non-hacker news has recently been reporting that it could be a false alarm.
>> https://www.androidheadlines.com/2024/04/iphone-users-warned-about-imessage-exploit-but-it-could-be-fake.html
>
> These are all reporting on the Trust Wallet story. That's not a flood,
> just an echo.

While I disagree with the user who thinks this is all about the M1 flaws,
I agree with you that initially, it was widely reported to be so bad that
all iOS users were suggested to disable the app to prevent being hacked.

You have to take these seriously because iMessage is frequently hacked.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/apple-zero-click-imessage-exploit-used-to-infect-iphones-with-spyware/

These iMessages zero-day holes are so frequent, that you have to take them
at face value, as almost every one that is reported turns out to be true.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2023/06/02/warning-issued-for-iphone-users-as-ongoing-imessage-0-click-attack-revealed/

Apple is never going to be the first to let you know about its holes, and,
in fact, Apple doesn't tell you iOS iMessages holes are on the rise.
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/apple-iphone-security-update-points-growing-problem-zero-days-rcna2012

Apple has historically been the last entity to tell users anything about
its many iMessages flaws, all of which are due to Apple's lack of testing.
https://www.macworld.com/article/227626/imessage-security-flaw-faq.html

In this case, the news for days was that iMessages was so seriously broken
that users around the world were told to completely disable it in settings.
https://cointelegraph.com/news/apple-ios-imessage-zero-day-crypto-exploit-warning-trust-wallet

Then, slowly, the news started to report that, while the initial evidence
of the $2 million dollar hack is correct - it may be a false alarm.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/24/04/18/exploit-seller-wants-2-million-for-a-zero-day-imessage-attack-vector-that-probably-doesnt-exist

All we can do now is wait to see whether the advertised $2M hack is real.
Or not.

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<l8forcFjupbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13643&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13643

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: 19 Apr 2024 17:44:12 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:44 UTC

On 2024-04-18, Mickey D <mickeydavis078XX@ptd.net> wrote:
> The recommendation by Trust Wallet is to disable iMessage

Yes, everyone should definitely disable iMessage based on a questionable
and unverified claim that totally isn't bogus:

A crypto wallet maker’s warning about an iMessage bug sounds like a false alarm
<https://techcrunch.com/2024/04/16/a-crypto-wallet-makers-warning-about-an-imessage-bug-sounds-like-a-false-alarm/>
---
Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai11:51 AM PDT•April 16, 2024

A crypto wallet maker claimed this week that hackers may be targeting
people with an iMessage “zero-day” exploit — but all signs point to an
exaggerated threat, if not a downright scam.

Trust Wallet’s official X (previously Twitter) account wrote that “we
have credible intel regarding a high-risk zero-day exploit targeting
iMessage on the Dark Web. This can infiltrate your iPhone without
clicking any link. High-value targets are likely. Each use raises
detection risk.”

The wallet maker recommended iPhone users to turn off iMessage
completely “until Apple patches this,” even though no evidence shows
that “this” exists at all.

The tweet went viral, and has been viewed over 3.6 million times as of
our publication. Because of the attention the post received, Trust
Wallet, which is owned by crypto exchange Binance, hours later wrote a
follow-up post. The wallet maker doubled down on its decision to go
public, saying that it “actively communicates any potential threats and
risks to the community.”

When reached by email, Trust Wallet’s John Broadley declined to provide
TechCrunch with evidence of the company’s claim. Trust Wallet Chief
Information Security Officer Eve Lam reiterated the company’s advice to
users, also without providing evidence for the claim that there’s an
imminent threat.

Apple spokesperson Scott Radcliffe declined to comment when reached
Tuesday.

As it turns out, according to Trust Wallet’s CEO Eowyn Chen, the “intel”
is an advertisement on a dark web site called CodeBreach Lab, where
someone is offering said alleged exploit for $2 million in bitcoin
cryptocurrency. The advert titled “iMessage Exploit” claims the
vulnerability is a remote code execution (or RCE) exploit that requires
no interaction from the target — commonly known as “zero-click” exploit
— and works on the latest version of iOS. Some bugs are called zero-days
because the vendor has no time, or zero days, to fix the vulnerability.
In this case, there is no evidence of an exploit to begin with.

A screenshot of the dark web ad claiming to sell an alleged iMessage
exploit. Image Credits: TechCrunch A screenshot of the dark web ad
claiming to sell an alleged iMessage exploit. Image Credits: TechCrunch

RCEs are some of the most powerful exploits because they allow hackers
to remotely take control of their target devices over the internet. An
exploit like an RCE coupled with a zero-click capability is incredibly
valuable because those attacks can be conducted invisibly without the
device owner knowing. In fact, a company that acquires and resells
zero-days is currently offering between $3 to $5 million for that kind
of zero-click zero-day, which is also a sign of how hard it is to find
and develop these types of exploits.

Given the circumstances of how and where this zero-day is being sold,
it’s very likely that it is all just a scam, and that Trust Wallet fell
for it, spreading what people in the cybersecurity industry would call
FUD, or “fear uncertainty and doubt.”

Zero-days do exist, and have been used by government hacking units for
years. But in reality, you probably don’t need to turn off iMessage
unless you are a high-risk user, such as a journalist or dissident under
an oppressive government, for example.

It’s better advice to suggest people turn on Lockdown Mode, a special
mode that disables certain Apple device features and functionalities
with the goal of reducing the avenues hackers can use to attack iPhones
and Macs.

According to Apple, there is no evidence anyone has successfully hacked
someone’s Apple device while using Lockdown Mode. Several cybersecurity
experts like Runa Sandvik and the researchers who work at Citizen Lab,
who have investigated dozens of cases of iPhone hacks, recommend using
Lockdown Mode.

For its part, CodeBreach Lab appears to be a new website with no track
record. When we checked, a search on Google returned only seven results,
one of which is a post on a well-known hacking forum asking if anyone
had previously heard of CodeBreach Lab.

On its homepage — with typos — CodeBreach Lab claims to offer several
types of exploits other than for iMessage, but provides no further
evidence.

The owners describe CodeBreach Lab as “the nexus of cyber disruption.”
But it would probably be more fitting to call it the nexus of
braggadocio and naivety.

TechCrunch could not reach CodeBreach Lab for comment because there is
no way to contact the alleged company. When we attempted to buy the
alleged exploit — because why not — the website asked for the buyer’s
name, email address, and then to send $2 million in bitcoin to a
specific wallet address on the public blockchain. When we checked,
nobody has so far.

In other words, if someone wants this alleged zero-day, they have to
send $2 million to a wallet that, at this point, there is no way to know
who it belongs to, nor — again — any way to contact.

And there is a very good chance that it will remain that way.
---

Believe the Trust Wallet FUD, folks! RUN, don't walk, to your nearest
fallout shelter! The sky is on fire! Trust us!

JR

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvupfg$37h0m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13653&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13653

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 09:59:13 +1200
 by: Your Name - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 21:59 UTC

On 2024-04-19 15:19:26 +0000, Mickey D said:

>>> You're confused by the huge number of Apple zero-day holes, only some of
>>> which are known to be found in Apple's M-series unpatchably flawed chips.
>>
>> M-series chips have nothing to do with iOS.
>
> Nobody said it did. You are confused by the huge number of zero day holes
> in Apple's products that you can't separate which of those many zero-day
> holes are in iMessage (which can be patched) and which of the holes are in
> Apple's millions of hopelessly flawed CPU chips (which can't be patched).

Many of which are the exact same flaws in most (if not all) other
chips, especially ARM chips.

Another idiot anti-Apple troll added to the kilfile.

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvurpn$2og82$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13660&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13660

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 04:08:47 +0530
 by: Indira - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 22:38 UTC

Your Name wrote:

> Many of which are the exact same flaws in most (if not all) other
> chips, especially ARM chips.

What is it about this group that two people (at least) don't have a clue
that there's a difference between iOS (software) and M1 (hardware) chips?

If they don't know the difference between iOS (software) & M1 (hardware)
then how can anything they ever say be trusted to be at all meaningful?

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<uvvufa$3ikkj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13673&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13673

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 08:30:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OZ9xb9EvHRWW8/rMWXJESj0jb88=
 by: Chris - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 08:30 UTC

Mickey D <mickeydavis078XX@ptd.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:00:57 +0100, Chris wrote:
>
>>> Non-hacker news has recently been reporting that it could be a false alarm.
>>> https://www.androidheadlines.com/2024/04/iphone-users-warned-about-imessage-exploit-but-it-could-be-fake.html
>>
>> These are all reporting on the Trust Wallet story. That's not a flood,
>> just an echo.
>
> While I disagree with the user who thinks this is all about the M1 flaws,

And you'd be wrong.

> I agree with you that initially, it was widely reported to be so bad that
> all iOS users were suggested to disable the app to prevent being hacked.

M1 flaws have no impact on iOS. Remind me which M1 device uses ios?

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<2qOUN.48386$cMe1.21008@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13674&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13674

iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 08:20:14 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 12:20 UTC

On 2024-04-18 16:32, Mickey D wrote:
> The recommendation by Trust Wallet is to disable iMessage until Apple

Pearl Clutching Panic.

--
“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<Co-cnSoHV6tAIL77nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13676&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13676

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 13:06:37 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 13:06 UTC

On Apr 20, 2024 at 4:30:34 AM EDT, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I agree with you that initially, it was widely reported to be so bad that
>> all iOS users were suggested to disable the app to prevent being hacked.
>
> M1 flaws have no impact on iOS. Remind me which M1 device uses ios?

To be fair, iPads run iOS. iPadOS is the same underlying OS. And until iOS
12 (or 13? Whatever) iPads ran iOS. There are M1 and M2 (and soon M3) iPads.

In fact, all of Apple's OSes are the same underlying OS. Mac, iPhones, iPads,
watches, VR goggles etc. all basically run the same OS. Different GUIs and
such (and other things), but very similar behind the curtain.

But even so, there is no way I am going "Disable iMessage NOW!" because some
weirdo Bitcoin goofball says so.

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<v00iqa$3n3gj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13679&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13679

From: confused@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 15:17:45 +0100
 by: Peter - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 14:17 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2024-04-18 16:32, Mickey D wrote:
>> The recommendation by Trust Wallet is to disable iMessage until Apple
>
> Pearl Clutching Panic.

Because Apple has never sufficiently tested their iOS software for holes,
the most exploited bugs are in Webkit, the kernel, and in the messaging.

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<l8ipufF3fa9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13696&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13696

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: 20 Apr 2024 21:21:19 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:21 UTC

On 2024-04-20, Peter <confused@nospam.net> wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> On 2024-04-18 16:32, Mickey D wrote:
>>> The recommendation by Trust Wallet is to disable iMessage until Apple
>>
>> Pearl Clutching Panic.
>
> Because Apple has never sufficiently tested their iOS software for holes,

Poor, little Arlen - he's a broken record with no new trolling ideas.

JR

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<svcVN.586639$jO2.207624@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13717&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13717

From: peterpiper@nospam.invalid (Peter Piper)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:59:19 -0000
 by: Peter Piper - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:59 UTC

Your Name wrote:

> Another idiot anti-Apple troll added to the kilfile.

This is not "another" one. This is the same Arlen. He has a
characteristic posting style and wording.

Adding him to your killfile will not stop you feeding him. He will just
morph when he wants you to feed him again.

Some of Arlen's recent nyms:

- Andrew
- Bill Powell
- Bradley
- david
- Enrico Papaloma
- Frankie
- Gelato
- Gunther F
- Harry S Robins
- Jan K.
- Jerry
- Mickey D
- Oliver
- Patrick
- Peter
- Ronald
- Sten deJoode
- Tamborino
- Wolf Greenblatt

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<v03lh9$ef3q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13720&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13720

From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:22:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:6rY6KN91nWf0ZwcOsdhMHLktAqU=
 by: Cameo - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:22 UTC

Peter Piper <peterpiper@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Your Name wrote:
>
>> Another idiot anti-Apple troll added to the kilfile.
>
> This is not "another" one. This is the same Arlen. He has a
> characteristic posting style and wording.
>
> Adding him to your killfile will not stop you feeding him. He will just
> morph when he wants you to feed him again.
>

> Some of Arlen's recent nyms:
>
> - Andrew
> - Bill Powell
> - Bradley
> - david
> - Enrico Papaloma
> - Frankie
> - Gelato
> - Gunther F
> - Harry S Robins
> - Jan K.
> - Jerry
> - Mickey D
> - Oliver
> - Patrick
> - Peter
> - Ronald
> - Sten deJoode
> - Tamborino
> - Wolf Greenblatt

At least he is inventive. 🤒

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<v03pp5$f9f5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13722&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13722

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:35:01 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 19:35 UTC

Am 21.04.24 um 20:22 schrieb Cameo:
> Peter Piper <peterpiper@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Your Name wrote:
>>
>>> Another idiot anti-Apple troll added to the kilfile.
>>
>> This is not "another" one. This is the same Arlen. He has a
>> characteristic posting style and wording.
>>
>> Adding him to your killfile will not stop you feeding him. He will just
>> morph when he wants you to feed him again.
>>

>> Some of Arlen's recent nyms:
>>
>> - Andrew
>> - Bill Powell
>> - Bradley
>> - david
>> - Enrico Papaloma
>> - Frankie
>> - Gelato
>> - Gunther F
>> - Harry S Robins
>> - Jan K.
>> - Jerry
>> - Mickey D
>> - Oliver
>> - Patrick
>> - Peter
>> - Ronald
>> - Sten deJoode
>> - Tamborino
>> - Wolf Greenblatt
>>

> At least he is inventive. 🤒

But his life has no meaningful purpose.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Disable iMessage NOW! (Trust Wallet Warns iOS Users About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)

<v03tfm$8agt$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=13723&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#13723

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
About New iMessage Zero-Day Vulnerabilities)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:38:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:38 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

> But his life has no meaningful purpose.

IIRC, Arlen has stated his purpose is to speak the truth.