From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Shitty german laptop actually pretty good
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:58:23 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 02:58 UTC

On 7/11/2023 7:41 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> This HP ProBook 4520s is actually better than I thought.
>
> I just cleaned it for the first time.
>
> Must replace paste on cpu gpu combo chiplet when cleaning heatsink/duct/fan/pipe combo.
>
> I found this very interesting, the existing paste was super dry, so replaced it with some artic silver, two cute dots.
>
> I also blew out the carpet/dust deep inside the fan behind the heatsink, a noob might not know it's there. Blew it out like a harmonica, checked against the light, also cleaned fan blades a bit.
>
> What I Like best is the model name/number on a plaque on the bottom right screen, handy reference to find manual.
>
> Now the system is whisper quiet, major improvement.
>
> Reason for clean was shutdowns during blockchain/pascalcoin.
>
> Only down side is some plastic hole broke off from power bar/button construction on the side/back, flimsy, some sticky tape added just in case.
>
> The touchpad is shitty though, but this mini mouse makes up for it.
>
> With RAM/SSD upgrades this might make it an interesting cheap big keyboard/screen laptop
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck

It's possible DDR3 SODIMMs went out of production in Mar 2023 or so.
At least the good ones did.

The silicon fabs for memory, are doing poorly at the moment
financially, so they cannot afford to make old stuff. And
even new stuff, they have to reduce production rate, to
prop up the retail prices (make DDR4 and DDR5 harder to find
and more expensive).

Your machine takes a maximum of 2x4GB SODIMM DDR3.

And coin mining with a laptop ? Seems a "slow way to get rich" :-)

Paul