From: anfi@onet.eu (Andrzej Adam Filip)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: [Media/Legal] USA/NJ Making township email list subscribers public
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:46:10 +0100
sha1:2Vc2ga0IIT/MKqle5CJJieWPwuE=
 by: Andrzej Adam Filip - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:46 UTC

https://newjerseymonitor.com/2023/11/29/n-j-supreme-court-to-decide-whether-township-email-lists-are-subject-to-public-records-law/

--
A. Filip

Re: [Media/Legal] USA/NJ Making township email list subscribers public

<ukbvhh$1pbr1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1472&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#1472

From: tjoen@dds.invalid (tjoen)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: Re: [Media/Legal] USA/NJ Making township email list subscribers
public
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 07:47:12 +0100
 by: tjoen - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 06:47 UTC

On 11/30/23 10:46, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> https://newjerseymonitor.com/2023/11/29/n-j-supreme-court-to-decide-whether-township-email-lists-are-subject-to-public-records-law/
>> N.J. Supreme Court to decide whether township email lists are subject to public records law
>> ; November 29, 2023 7:05 am
>>
>> […] The appeal to the high court comes after nonprofit civil rights
>> group Rise Against Hate sued Cherry Hill, West Deptford, and
>> Bridgewater for fighting its 2020 and 2021 public records requests
>> seeking their lists of email subscribers. The Supreme Court took up
>> the case after an appellate court ruled in favor of the towns in
>> March.
>>
>> The attorneys representing the nonprofit and the towns clashed Tuesday
>> over whether sharing subscribers’ email addresses would violate
>> privacy provisions of the state’s Open Public Records Act, and whether
>> releasing them would advance transparency goals. The justices,
>> meanwhile, shared concerns about the subscribers’ expectation of
>> privacy, and whether businesses or harmful entities would gain access
>> to distribution lists, prompting spam and phishing scams. […]

That group Rise Against Hate wants email addresses? To spam?

Re: [Media/Legal] USA/NJ Making township email list subscribers public

<anfi+jkidunoiqf-nc15@wp.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1473&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#1473

From: anfi@onet.eu (Andrzej Adam Filip)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 08:06:19 +0100
sha1:sbIXXqkFF3GSFVsdPNghVuiC+ao=
 by: Andrzej Adam Filip - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 07:06 UTC

tjoen <tjoen@dds.invalid> wrote:
> On 11/30/23 10:46, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>> https://newjerseymonitor.com/2023/11/29/n-j-supreme-court-to-decide-whether-township-email-lists-are-subject-to-public-records-law/
>>> N.J. Supreme Court to decide whether township email lists are subject to public records law
>>> ; November 29, 2023 7:05 am
>>>
>>> […] The appeal to the high court comes after nonprofit civil rights
>>> group Rise Against Hate sued Cherry Hill, West Deptford, and
>>> Bridgewater for fighting its 2020 and 2021 public records requests
>>> seeking their lists of email subscribers. The Supreme Court took up
>>> the case after an appellate court ruled in favor of the towns in
>>> March.
>>>
>>> The attorneys representing the nonprofit and the towns clashed Tuesday
>>> over whether sharing subscribers’ email addresses would violate
>>> privacy provisions of the state’s Open Public Records Act, and whether
>>> releasing them would advance transparency goals. The justices,
>>> meanwhile, shared concerns about the subscribers’ expectation of
>>> privacy, and whether businesses or harmful entities would gain access
>>> to distribution lists, prompting spam and phishing scams. […]
>
> That group Rise Against Hate wants email addresses? To spam?

It does not matter what they want it for from my perspective.
I an sure their lawyers can present an innocent enough excuse.
They want to make them publicly available *also for spammers* .

Anyway: I can accepts subscriber list as "a public record"
(with huge negative enthusiasm) *ONLY* if subscribers know it
(have been warned) *BEFORE* subscribing in triple handshake mode.

--
A. Filip

Re: [Media/Legal] USA/NJ Making township email list subscribers public

<ukconk$3cb$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1475&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#1475

From: dannyb@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:57:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:57 UTC

In <anfi+jkidunoiqf-nc15@wp.eu> Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@onet.eu> writes:

[anip]

>It does not matter what they want it for from my perspective.
>I an sure their lawyers can present an innocent enough excuse.
>They want to make them publicly available *also for spammers* .

>Anyway: I can accepts subscriber list as "a public record"
>(with huge negative enthusiasm) *ONLY* if subscribers know it
>(have been warned) *BEFORE* subscribing in triple handshake mode.

I've run into this personally when my e-mail address
was Hoovered from correspondence I sent to a NYC office
a decade ago. I had actually sent paper mail, but
included an e-mail reply option.

When I started getting garbage, they replied that
all this material was, indeed, publicly available
with no expectation of privacy.

(Fortunately I have my own Internet domain and
activate specific addresses, which I can then killl).

I'd *love* to see a decision saying that NOPE, this
quasi private material remains private.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: [Media/Legal] USA/NJ Making township email list subscribers public

<ukd1j7$1uasl$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1476&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#1476

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 16:28:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 16:28 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@onet.eu> writes:

>[anip]

>>It does not matter what they want it for from my perspective.
>>I an sure their lawyers can present an innocent enough excuse.
>>They want to make them publicly available *also for spammers* .

>>Anyway: I can accepts subscriber list as "a public record"
>>(with huge negative enthusiasm) *ONLY* if subscribers know it
>>(have been warned) *BEFORE* subscribing in triple handshake mode.

>I've run into this personally when my e-mail address
>was Hoovered from correspondence I sent to a NYC office
>a decade ago. I had actually sent paper mail, but
>included an e-mail reply option.

>When I started getting garbage, they replied that
>all this material was, indeed, publicly available
>with no expectation of privacy.

>(Fortunately I have my own Internet domain and
>activate specific addresses, which I can then killl).

>I'd *love* to see a decision saying that NOPE, this
>quasi private material remains private.

There must not be a decision. A state or provincial legislature or
national congress or parliament would have to amend sunshine in
government laws to create this privacy right.

Do we want there to be a privacy right? Are there repurcussions to this?