From: anfi@onet.eu (Andrzej Adam Filip)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: Good News: Google intends to protect usenet from spam via Google by disconnecting itself from usenet [2024-02-24]
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:45:01 +0100
sha1:016PhOSFB6GTrlF+7GvnyQkT/vc=
 by: Andrzej Adam Filip - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 07:45 UTC

https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538
> *Google Groups ending support for Usenet*
> If you work with Usenet groups in Google Groups, support for these
> groups is ending soon.
>
> *What’s changing?*
>
> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to
> Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view
> and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22,
> 2024 on Google Groups.
>
> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will
> not support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with
> other NNTP servers. […]

Re: Good News: Google intends to protect usenet from spam via Google by disconnecting itself from usenet [2024-02-24]

<ulhu34$1kqu$60@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1478&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#1478

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:15:32 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:15 UTC

In article <anfi+uxg7d3qnof-ncf5@wp.eu>,
Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@onet.eu> wrote:
>https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538
>> *Google Groups ending support for Usenet*
>> If you work with Usenet groups in Google Groups, support for these
>> groups is ending soon.
>>
>> *What’s changing?*
>>
>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to
>> Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view
>> and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22,
>> 2024 on Google Groups.
>>
>> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
>> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will
>> not support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with
>> other NNTP servers. […]

And then there is spammiing gmaill
https://www.nk.ca/blog/index.php?/categories/14-Google-Spam
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Good News: Google intends to protect usenet from spam via Google by disconnecting itself from usenet [2024-02-24]

<87jzpepyey.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1479&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#1479

From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 23:24:37 -0500
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 04:24 UTC

On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:45:01 +0100, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:

> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538
>> *Google Groups ending support for Usenet*
>> If you work with Usenet groups in Google Groups, support for these
>> groups is ending soon.
>>
>> *What’s changing?*
>>
>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to
>> Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view
>> and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22,
>> 2024 on Google Groups.
>>
>> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
>> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will
>> not support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with
>> other NNTP servers. […]

Cool.

Maybe DejaNews is coming back? ;-)

Well another part of the usenet, even if not really usenet, is about to
be shoved out of the internet.
--
Andreas

Re: Good News: Google intends to protect usenet from spam via Google by disconnecting itself from usenet [2024-02-24]

<anfi+sjjyg8de6f-ncg6@wp.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1480&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#1480

From: anfi@onet.eu (Andrzej Adam Filip)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:07:09 +0100
sha1:IaZKXxiVlyoXbqF4gxcOJl7EJIU=
 by: Andrzej Adam Filip - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:07 UTC

Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:45:01 +0100, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>>
>> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538
>>> *Google Groups ending support for Usenet*
>>> If you work with Usenet groups in Google Groups, support for these
>>> groups is ending soon.
>>>
>>> *What’s changing?*
>>>
>>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>>> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to
>>> Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view
>>> and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22,
>>> 2024 on Google Groups.
>>>
>>> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
>>> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will
>>> not support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with
>>> other NNTP servers. […]
>
> Cool.
>
> Maybe DejaNews is coming back? ;-)
>
> Well another part of the usenet, even if not really usenet, is about to
> be shoved out of the internet.

Return of something "Deja-news like" is quite likely IMHO.
[ Text-usenet oriented search engine ]
AFAIR Google bought Deja-news *and destroyed it*.

Many news servers keep big/old archives. It seems to be possible to
develop it with keeping amount of unreturned investment quite low.

--
A. Filip

Re: Good News: Google intends to protect usenet from spam via Google by disconnecting itself from usenet [2024-02-24]

<ulkjum$65d$19@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1481&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#1481

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:40:54 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:40 UTC

In article <anfi+sjjyg8de6f-ncg6@wp.eu>,
Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@onet.eu> wrote:
>Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:45:01 +0100, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>>>
>>> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538

>> Cool.
>>
>> Maybe DejaNews is coming back? ;-)
>>
>> Well another part of the usenet, even if not really usenet, is about to
>> be shoved out of the internet.
>
>Return of something "Deja-news like" is quite likely IMHO.
>[ Text-usenet oriented search engine ]
>AFAIR Google bought Deja-news *and destroyed it*.

Correct!

>Many news servers keep big/old archives. It seems to be possible to
>develop it with keeping amount of unreturned investment quite low.

They made it worth less then 1 cent US!

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca