From: spam@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: GPS Accuracy: Android versus iPhone
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 00:41:58 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 00:41 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> Even on my Android smartphone, I've had to reset GPS by deleting and
>> re-downloading the A-GPS database.
>
> that happens automatically whenever it's stale.

I agree with nospam that for Vanguard to manually load the A-GPS
information, he would likely need to have a reason to do so.

>> I've not found GPS in smartphones to be very accurate.
>
> then you need a better smartphone.

I'm curious if he's using GPS every day, what might be an observation he
might make that tells him that he needs to re-download the A-GPS database?

>> Yes, a guided
>> missile wouldn't care about being off 2 to 4 meters (unless it's trying
>> to fly through a window in a building) when it impacts and explodes, but
>> being off 12 meters when you return to a huge parking lot (e.g., Disney
>> theme parks) makes it tough to find your car, and everyone else leaving
>> the park at the same time using their key fobs to make their cars beep
>> means a lot full of beeping cars.
>
> it should be much better than 12m, but even with that, 12m is close
> enough to be able to find the correct vehicle.

I agree that when you're looking for your own car, being close enough
should be good enough to find it, as your memory will be jogged even if
it's a common white Tesla Model Y hiding in the huge Costco parking lot.

Some of the free find-my-car apps I previously listed also have a
parking-meter alarm feature, which can warn you when time is almost up.

These find-my-parked-car apps are certainly enticing to most people...

But what I find disturbing is how rude & ignorant most people are who
habitually put on the Google Maps Suicide Vest - which harms everyone.
*Remember where you parked with Google Maps*
<https://blog.google/products/maps/remember-where-you-parked-google-maps/>

These rude people ignorantly trade their convenience for your privacy.

When they could have used their brains instead, by using an app
that doesn't hurt everyone around you, in addition to yourself.

In terms of the privacy of the people around you, to use Google Maps with
the default settings is to wear a suicide vest which harms everyone around
you in that it uploads _their_ private information to Google Servers
without you obtaining any permission whatsoever from those people around
you.

What gives you the right to upload their unique GPS location and unique
identifier to their home router, for example, just because you drove by?

tech / sci.geo.satellite-nav / Re: GPS Accuracy: Android versus iPhone