From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: How does immigration scam work?
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 23:01:10 -0400
sha1:QtHpDvD8W2BfS1OvrpThvHm2Jus=
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 03:01 UTC

Got a scam earlier today in French, saying my application for Canadian
citizenship was approved (I of course never sent one). Then citing what
jobs are needed and also that if I have no passport they will provide one
(just like that? ;-). It came with the drop box
infos.recrutement@europe.com (yeah, Immigration Canada uses a @europe.com
address ;-) and the likely valid phone number 581 203 2807. Interestingly
is 581 an area code of Quebec-City. Is the scammer really there? Spam was
sent via Gmail.

How does immigration scam work? After sending the things they need (copy
of passport and other IDs) they might use the data for identity theft and
before ask for a fee to process the application?

https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/2021_07_25_archive.html
--
Andreas

Re: How does immigration scam work?

<20240221152607.0d422550fec56bf7c12b57cd@inter-corporate.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1551&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#1551

From: noc@inter-corporate.com (Randolf Richardson)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: Re: How does immigration scam work?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:26:07 -0800
 by: Randolf Richardson - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 23:26 UTC

On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 23:01:10 -0400
Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:

> Got a scam earlier today in French, saying my application for Canadian
> citizenship was approved (I of course never sent one). Then citing what
> jobs are needed and also that if I have no passport they will provide one
> (just like that? ;-). It came with the drop box
> infos.recrutement@europe.com (yeah, Immigration Canada uses a @europe.com
> address ;-) and the likely valid phone number 581 203 2807. Interestingly
> is 581 an area code of Quebec-City. Is the scammer really there? Spam was
> sent via Gmail.

Phone scammers typically fake the Caller ID so it looks like they're
calling you from somewhere else. However, if it is a number you can call
them at, then it will either be forwarding the call somewhere else or going
through something like VoIP to whereever they actually are located (they're
likely in another country outside of the jurisdictional reach of the law).

> How does immigration scam work? After sending the things they need (copy
> of passport and other IDs) they might use the data for identity theft and
> before ask for a fee to process the application?
>
> https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/2021_07_25_archive.html

That's very likely what they're going to do, and probably try to
get you to send them some money somehow too.

--
Randolf Richardson, CNA - noc@inter-corporate.com
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada