The nicest thing about the Alto is that it doesn't run faster at night.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Manually manage music

SubjectAuthor
* Manually manage musicAndré G. Isaak
`* Manually manage musicJolly Roger
 `* Manually manage musicAndré G. Isaak
  +* Manually manage musicgtr
  |`- Manually manage musicgtr
  +* Manually manage musicJolly Roger
  |`* Manually manage musicAndré G. Isaak
  | +- Manually manage musicAlan
  | `- Manually manage musicJolly Roger
  `* Manually manage musicAddictive
   `- Manually manage musicAndré G. Isaak

1
Manually manage music

<u8t7ki$adc9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16122&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16122

From: agisaak@gm.invalid (André G. Isaak)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Manually manage music
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 22:34:26 -0600
 by: André G. Isaak - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 04:34 UTC

This isn't really a macOS question, but I thought someone here might
know the answer.

My 2014 iMac running Mojave recently died and I am now on a more recent
iMac running Monterey. Unfortunately, this unanticipated upgrade forced
me to switch from iTunes to Music.app/TV.app which I *hate*. In
particular, I want to be able to go back to manually managing the
library on my iPod. Are there any good 3rd party solutions which allow
you to manually manage the music/videos on an iPod or which allow you to
see a unified view (music AND video) of what is on an iPod.

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.

Re: Manually manage music

<khfrtvF9otuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16123&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16123

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Manually manage music
Date: 15 Jul 2023 15:22:40 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:22 UTC

On 2023-07-15, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
> This isn't really a macOS question, but I thought someone here might
> know the answer.
>
> My 2014 iMac running Mojave recently died and I am now on a more
> recent iMac running Monterey. Unfortunately, this unanticipated
> upgrade forced me to switch from iTunes to Music.app/TV.app which I
> *hate*.

I'm not sure why you'd *hate* the Music app, since it's mostly the same
as iTunes.

> In particular, I want to be able to go back to manually managing the
> library on my iPod. Are there any good 3rd party solutions which allow
> you to manually manage the music/videos on an iPod or which allow you
> to see a unified view (music AND video) of what is on an iPod.

Syncing is done through the Finder now, and you still have the option to
manually manage music, movies, and TV shows in the General tab.

JR

Re: Manually manage music

<u8uvt3$ft0l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16126&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16126

From: agisaak@gm.invalid (André G. Isaak)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 14:34:43 -0600
 by: André G. Isaak - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 20:34 UTC

On 2023-07-15 09:22, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-07-15, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
>> This isn't really a macOS question, but I thought someone here might
>> know the answer.
>>
>> My 2014 iMac running Mojave recently died and I am now on a more
>> recent iMac running Monterey. Unfortunately, this unanticipated
>> upgrade forced me to switch from iTunes to Music.app/TV.app which I
>> *hate*.
>
> I'm not sure why you'd *hate* the Music app, since it's mostly the same
> as iTunes.

Except it lacks the ability to copy songs from the mac to the iPod.

>> In particular, I want to be able to go back to manually managing the
>> library on my iPod. Are there any good 3rd party solutions which allow
>> you to manually manage the music/videos on an iPod or which allow you
>> to see a unified view (music AND video) of what is on an iPod.
>
> Syncing is done through the Finder now, and you still have the option to
> manually manage music, movies, and TV shows in the General tab.

The problem is that I don't want to *sync* the iPod. The iPod contains a
substantial amount of music which isn't on my current mac and which I do
not want to be deleted. With iTunes, I could simply copy music files
from the computer to the iPod without it having an effect on the
existing contents of the iPod. With the finder's sync function it warns
me that the contents of the iPod will be erased and replaced with the
contents of the music library on the computer which I don't want.

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.

Re: Manually manage music

<u8v80d$grqu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16127&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16127

From: xxx@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 22:53:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 22:53 UTC

On Jul 15, 2023 at 1:34:43 PM PDT, "André G. Isaak" <agisaak@gm.invalid>
wrote:

> On 2023-07-15 09:22, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-07-15, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
>>> This isn't really a macOS question, but I thought someone here might
>>> know the answer.
>>>
>>> My 2014 iMac running Mojave recently died and I am now on a more
>>> recent iMac running Monterey. Unfortunately, this unanticipated
>>> upgrade forced me to switch from iTunes to Music.app/TV.app which I
>>> *hate*.
>>
>> I'm not sure why you'd *hate* the Music app, since it's mostly the same
>> as iTunes.
>
> Except it lacks the ability to copy songs from the mac to the iPod.
>
>>> In particular, I want to be able to go back to manually managing the
>>> library on my iPod. Are there any good 3rd party solutions which allow
>>> you to manually manage the music/videos on an iPod or which allow you
>>> to see a unified view (music AND video) of what is on an iPod.
>>
>> Syncing is done through the Finder now, and you still have the option to
>> manually manage music, movies, and TV shows in the General tab.
>
> The problem is that I don't want to *sync* the iPod. The iPod contains a
> substantial amount of music which isn't on my current mac and which I do
> not want to be deleted. With iTunes, I could simply copy music files
> from the computer to the iPod without it having an effect on the
> existing contents of the iPod. With the finder's sync function it warns
> me that the contents of the iPod will be erased and replaced with the
> contents of the music library on the computer which I don't want.
>
> André

This does not address your issue, but I would recommend you copy the iPod
files to your Mac. Then you can select those files alone to be synced with
your iPod.

Back to your issue: There are number of utilities that will let you copy
files, including songs, from one device to another. If that's the source of
your hatred for the app, it might solve your problems. Seems like DaisyDisk is
one of them, but I don't have an iPod.

I assume you not open a finder window and access file storage on the iPod
directly,

Re: Manually manage music

<u8v97j$gv92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16129&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16129

From: xxx@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 23:13:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 23:13 UTC

On Jul 15, 2023 at 3:53:01 PM PDT, "gtr" <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:

> I assume you *cannot* open a finder window and access file storage on the iPod
> directly,

Re: Manually manage music

<khguh9Ff1g0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16131&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16131

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 16 Jul 2023 01:13:13 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 01:13 UTC

On 2023-07-15, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-07-15 09:22, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-07-15, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
>>> This isn't really a macOS question, but I thought someone here might
>>> know the answer.
>>>
>>> My 2014 iMac running Mojave recently died and I am now on a more
>>> recent iMac running Monterey. Unfortunately, this unanticipated
>>> upgrade forced me to switch from iTunes to Music.app/TV.app which I
>>> *hate*.
>>
>> I'm not sure why you'd *hate* the Music app, since it's mostly the
>> same as iTunes.
>
> Except it lacks the ability to copy songs from the mac to the iPod.

Have you actually tried dragging music to the iPod in the Music app?

>>> In particular, I want to be able to go back to manually managing the
>>> library on my iPod. Are there any good 3rd party solutions which
>>> allow you to manually manage the music/videos on an iPod or which
>>> allow you to see a unified view (music AND video) of what is on an
>>> iPod.
>>
>> Syncing is done through the Finder now, and you still have the option
>> to manually manage music, movies, and TV shows in the General tab.
>
> The problem is that I don't want to *sync* the iPod. The iPod contains
> a substantial amount of music which isn't on my current mac and which
> I do not want to be deleted. With iTunes, I could simply copy music
> files from the computer to the iPod without it having an effect on the
> existing contents of the iPod. With the finder's sync function it
> warns me that the contents of the iPod will be erased and replaced
> with the contents of the music library on the computer which I don't
> want.

So you've enabled "manually manage music, movies, and TV shows" in the
General tab and still can't drag music to your iPod in the Finder?

I'm doubtful of your claim that you can't drag music to the iPod either
in the Music app or in the Finder. But even if what you say is true, you
can use a third-party app to copy the music from your iPod to your Mac,
then sync it back to the iPod.

JR

Re: Manually manage music

<MKVsM.153999$YL1.35929@fx04.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16132&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16132

From: colours@shades.of.grey (Addictive)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 17:26:04 GMT
 by: Addictive - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 17:26 UTC

On 15 Jul 2023 at 22:34:43 CEST, "André G. Isaak" <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:

> On 2023-07-15 09:22, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-07-15, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
>>> This isn't really a macOS question, but I thought someone here might
>>> know the answer.
>>>
>>> My 2014 iMac running Mojave recently died and I am now on a more
>>> recent iMac running Monterey. Unfortunately, this unanticipated
>>> upgrade forced me to switch from iTunes to Music.app/TV.app which I
>>> *hate*.
>>
>> I'm not sure why you'd *hate* the Music app, since it's mostly the same
>> as iTunes.
>
> Except it lacks the ability to copy songs from the mac to the iPod.
>
>>> In particular, I want to be able to go back to manually managing the
>>> library on my iPod. Are there any good 3rd party solutions which allow
>>> you to manually manage the music/videos on an iPod or which allow you
>>> to see a unified view (music AND video) of what is on an iPod.
>>
>> Syncing is done through the Finder now, and you still have the option to
>> manually manage music, movies, and TV shows in the General tab.
>
> The problem is that I don't want to *sync* the iPod. The iPod contains a
> substantial amount of music which isn't on my current mac and which I do
> not want to be deleted. With iTunes, I could simply copy music files
> from the computer to the iPod without it having an effect on the
> existing contents of the iPod. With the finder's sync function it warns
> me that the contents of the iPod will be erased and replaced with the
> contents of the music library on the computer which I don't want.
>
> André

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if iMazing also covered your
iPod. So just in case, please checkout

https://imazing.com/

I don't have an iPod, but this little gem does a wonderful job on all my other
iOS thingies.

--
Have fun!

September 15, 1996

Re: Manually manage music

<u93lk5$19bnh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16133&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16133

From: agisaak@gm.invalid (André G. Isaak)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 09:09:56 -0600
 by: André G. Isaak - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 15:09 UTC

On 2023-07-16 11:26, Addictive wrote:

> I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if iMazing also covered your
> iPod. So just in case, please checkout
>
> https://imazing.com/
>
> I don't have an iPod, but this little gem does a wonderful job on all my other
> iOS thingies.

Thanks for the recommendation. This looks promising.

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.

Re: Manually manage music

<u944c9$1av2g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16134&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16134

From: agisaak@gm.invalid (André G. Isaak)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 13:21:45 -0600
 by: André G. Isaak - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 19:21 UTC

On 2023-07-15 19:13, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-07-15, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:

>>> I'm not sure why you'd *hate* the Music app, since it's mostly the
>>> same as iTunes.
>>
>> Except it lacks the ability to copy songs from the mac to the iPod.
>
> Have you actually tried dragging music to the iPod in the Music app?

It turns out the you are correct and that this is possible. I had
neglected to trust the iPod when I had first connected it to the new
computer which prevented it from showing up in Music.app and which lead
me to believe that Music.app doesn't display devices in its sidebar like
iTunes did and the syncing through the finder was the only option.

Once I trusted the iPod, it does shows up in the Sidebar. So you are
correct in your original claim that Music.app is mostly the same as iTunes.

Mea Culpa,

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.

Re: Manually manage music

<u94b7a$1bmah$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16135&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16135

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 14:18:34 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 21:18 UTC

On 2023-07-17 12:21, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2023-07-15 19:13, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Except it lacks the ability to copy songs from the mac to the iPod.
>>
>> Have you actually tried dragging music to the iPod in the Music app?
>
> It turns out the you are correct and that this is possible. I had
> neglected to trust the iPod when I had first connected it to the new
> computer which prevented it from showing up in Music.app and which lead
> me to believe that Music.app doesn't display devices in its sidebar like
> iTunes did and the syncing through the finder was the only option.
>
> Once I trusted the iPod, it does shows up in the Sidebar. So you are
> correct in your original claim that Music.app is mostly the same as iTunes.

The only thing that's changed...

....is that to change the setting to ALLOW manual management of your
music, you have to do that part in the Finder?

And frankly, would it be so difficult to provide the same UI in both apps?

Re: Manually manage music

<khmdr2FbccjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16136&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16136

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 18 Jul 2023 03:05:06 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 03:05 UTC

On 2023-07-17, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-07-15 19:13, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Except it lacks the ability to copy songs from the mac to the iPod.
>>
>> Have you actually tried dragging music to the iPod in the Music app?
>
> It turns out the you are correct and that this is possible. I had
> neglected to trust the iPod when I had first connected it to the new
> computer which prevented it from showing up in Music.app and which
> lead me to believe that Music.app doesn't display devices in its
> sidebar like iTunes did and the syncing through the finder was the
> only option.
>
> Once I trusted the iPod, it does shows up in the Sidebar. So you are
> correct in your original claim that Music.app is mostly the same as
> iTunes.
>
> Mea Culpa,

No worries. Glad you figured it out.

JR