Get hold of portable property. -- Charles Dickens, "Great Expectations"

computers / news.software.readers / on noffle and leafnode (Was: Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article)

SubjectAuthor
* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleSpiros Bousbouras
+* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleissdr
|`- on noffle and leafnode (Was: Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article)Julieta Shem
`* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articlecandycanearter07
 +- Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleDe ongekruisigde
 `- Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleDan Purgert

1
Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<HHKaLOxG+xiAnPuu6@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=943&group=news.software.readers#943

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,news.software.readers
Subject: Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 08:24:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 08:24 UTC

[ Dropped comp.lang.c , added news.software.readers ]

On Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:28:11 -0000 (UTC)
Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:
> In comp.misc candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
> > On 9/9/23 03:57, Sn!pe wrote:
> >> This is not to say that T'Bird is no good as a Newsreader, but there are
> >> better ones.
> >
> > It's hard to find one for Linux that I can find in the aur and also has
> > offline reading mode. Pan doesn't have any option to download all unread
> > messages from what I know.
>
> From the Linux perspective, that is out of scope for a newsreader.
> Offline read/write mode is done with, as one option,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafnode. Then you still use whatever
> newsreader you like, but can do so offline as well.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for a newsreader to have both a
"batch mode" and an interactive mode. For example one might want to go for
a trip and still set their newsreader to download all new messages in their
favorite groups once per day.

slrn claims to offer such capabilities but I don't use it so I can't speak
about details. It also seems to be easy to compile from source (very few
dependencies) which is a plus in my book because one can make modifications.
But slrn also supports an extension language called S-lang so I'm
guessing you can customise it a lot. Details are under http://slrn.info/ .

It should also be easy to write a Python script or Perl script to download
all new messages from some groups. But one must still use a newsreader which
supports the functionality to read messages from the local filesystem as
opposed to connect to a server and also the messages must be saved in a
format the newsreader can understand.

--
vlaho.ninja/prog

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<87r0n64cxp.fsf@ID-313311.news.uni-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=944&group=news.software.readers#944

From: p_u_n_k_i_n_d@yahoo.it (issdr)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,news.software.readers
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:04:02 +0200
T@A$^Vh,|cG:_4p59{<cR\^_^r9<1Iq/8?4,7|-PhJpEyE/v42omF=F]M<p?9+;~(nPqwCCm*IaHu
N4S.pGVU=E!6R=0!PVz1`vb&zc`.X<jw
 by: issdr - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 09:04 UTC

Spiros Bousbouras wrote:

> [ Dropped comp.lang.c , added news.software.readers ]
>
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:28:11 -0000 (UTC)
> Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:
>> >
>> > It's hard to find one for Linux that I can find in the aur and also has
>> > offline reading mode. Pan doesn't have any option to download all unread
>> > messages from what I know.
>>
>> From the Linux perspective, that is out of scope for a newsreader.
>> Offline read/write mode is done with, as one option,
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafnode. Then you still use whatever
>> newsreader you like, but can do so offline as well.
>
> I think it is perfectly reasonable for a newsreader to have both a
> "batch mode" and an interactive mode. For example one might want to go for
> a trip and still set their newsreader to download all new messages in their
> favorite groups once per day.
>
> slrn claims to offer such capabilities but I don't use it so I can't speak
> about details. It also seems to be easy to compile from source (very few
> dependencies) which is a plus in my book because one can make modifications.
> But slrn also supports an extension language called S-lang so I'm
> guessing you can customise it a lot. Details are under http://slrn.info/ .
>
> It should also be easy to write a Python script or Perl script to download
> all new messages from some groups. But one must still use a newsreader which
> supports the functionality to read messages from the local filesystem as
> opposed to connect to a server and also the messages must be saved in a
> format the newsreader can understand.

pan and sylpheed grant offline reading from what i recall. slrn has got
slrnpull, which is great for offline reading/posting (used it with gnus
in place of its native agent in the ol' days). leafnode2 is a good
alternative, not overshooting, as it's light and maintenance free once
porperly set up. i've heard of noffle, never tried tho

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<udkmpj$k3m0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=945&group=news.software.readers#945

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,news.software.readers
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:19:15 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 15:19 UTC

On 9/10/23 03:24, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:

> slrn claims to offer such capabilities but I don't use it so I can't speak
> about details. It also seems to be easy to compile from source (very few
> dependencies) which is a plus in my book because one can make modifications.
> But slrn also supports an extension language called S-lang so I'm
> guessing you can customise it a lot. Details are under http://slrn.info/ .

slrn errors when I tried to install it.
bytecode stream in file ‘/usr/lib/uudeview/fptools.o’ generated with LTO
version 12.0 instead of the expected 13.0

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<udkoj7$kf65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=946&group=news.software.readers#946

From: ongekruisigde@news.eternal-september.org (De ongekruisigde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,news.software.readers
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 15:49:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: De ongekruisigde - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 15:49 UTC

On 2023-09-10, candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
> On 9/10/23 03:24, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
>
>> slrn claims to offer such capabilities but I don't use it so I can't speak
>> about details. It also seems to be easy to compile from source (very few
>> dependencies) which is a plus in my book because one can make modifications.
>> But slrn also supports an extension language called S-lang so I'm
>> guessing you can customise it a lot. Details are under http://slrn.info/ .
>
> slrn errors when I tried to install it.
> bytecode stream in file ‘/usr/lib/uudeview/fptools.o’ generated with LTO
> version 12.0 instead of the expected 13.0

I downloaded the source and compiled it myself. For Termux (Linux under
Android; minor edits required but if it works there...)

GitHub - jedsoft/slrn: A multi-platform Usenet client
https://github.com/jedsoft/slrn

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<slrnufthg9.f45.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=947&group=news.software.readers#947

Followup: comp.misc
From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 07:46:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 07:46 UTC

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.misc.]
On 2023-09-10, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 9/10/23 03:24, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
>
>> slrn claims to offer such capabilities but I don't use it so I can't
>> speak about details [...]
> slrn errors when I tried to install it.
> bytecode stream in file ‘/usr/lib/uudeview/fptools.o’ generated with LTO
> version 12.0 instead of the expected 13.0

Are you using the version in your distro's repository, or getting it
elsewhere?

--
|_|O|_|

on noffle and leafnode (Was: Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article)

<87msurw9jj.fsf_-_@yaxenu.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1617&group=news.software.readers#1617

From: jshem@yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,news.software.readers
Subject: on noffle and leafnode (Was: Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article)
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 13:11:28 -0300
<3607596852@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet> <udcl13$30q7k$1@dont-email.me>
<uddvnt$3a9si$1@dont-email.me> <ude6v5$3av40$2@dont-email.me>
<fVDKthnhfJ8657wgg@bongo-ra.co>
<1qgqwud.1qo1i9s1j1n0cnN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>
<udgal6$3o6jv$2@dont-email.me>
<1qgsazz.1krmz46rq76noN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>
<udim22$74l3$2@dont-email.me> <udio1b$7f32$1@dont-email.me>
<HHKaLOxG+xiAnPuu6@bongo-ra.co>
<87r0n64cxp.fsf@ID-313311.news.uni-berlin.de>
sha1:4MOAvIWq9ixSzsQE6PFOsH5w8e0=
 by: Julieta Shem - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:11 UTC

issdr <p_u_n_k_i_n_d@yahoo.it> writes:

[...]

> pan and sylpheed grant offline reading from what i recall. slrn has got
> slrnpull, which is great for offline reading/posting (used it with gnus
> in place of its native agent in the ol' days). leafnode2 is a good
> alternative, not overshooting, as it's light and maintenance free once
> porperly set up. i've heard of noffle, never tried tho

I tried noffle. Noffle is as great as leafnode, but I moved away from
noffle because messages were stored in a GDBM while leafnode stores them
on a directory.