From: nobody@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: Solani.org
x-no-archive: yes
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 06:47:10 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.free.nntp
 by: Nomen Nescio - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 04:47 UTC

Just finished are rather exhaustive look at so-called free and
trial usenet servers. Will report back if I get any good answers
to:

Solani makes an account for me, but when my socksified client
says "getting all groups" (or similar there servers time me out,
regardless of the ip. I am connecting but they don't transfer
the group data. Not a firewall issue. Any bright boy tell me why
and a workaround?

Re: Solani.org

<733b23b0931f6f08d273b2bb4e0d92dc@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=162&group=alt.free.nntp#162

From: anon@free.invalid (anon)
Subject: Re: Solani.org
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 06:33:49 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.free.nntp
 by: anon - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 04:33 UTC

On 18 Apr 2023, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> posted some

> Just finished are rather exhaustive look at so-called free and
> trial usenet servers. Will report back if I get any good answers
> to:
>
> Solani makes an account for me, but when my socksified client
> says "getting all groups" (or similar there servers time me out,
> regardless of the ip. I am connecting but they don't transfer
> the group data. Not a firewall issue. Any bright boy tell me why
> and a workaround?

Some news servers are blocking tor now. Symptom appears to be a connect
with eventual connection refused. Only way around that is use a socks
proxy or VPN.