From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: How to use 3x360 radiators with MEG Prospect 700R ?
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 12:14:15 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 17:14 UTC

On 1/8/2023 6:34 AM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> I love the look of this PC case:
>
> https://www.msi.com/PC-Case/MEG-PROSPECT-700R/Overview
>
> I would love to be able to implement
>
> 1. AMD 7950 X3D 16 core CPU stacked with 3D V-Cache
> 2. NVIDIA RTX 4090
>
> This particular PC case seems to be well suited for EK cooling solutions/radiators.
>
> However there is a problem:
>
> Theoretically this PC case can mount 3 x 360 radiators which would be needed to cool the CPU + the GPU both with water cooling.
>
> However some of the EK cooling solutions require a DISTRIBUTION plate which would replace one of the 360 radiators, which would be a problem, because then there is not enough cooling to cool the CPU + the GPU.
>
> The CPU is rumored to be able to generate close to 250 watts of heat.
> The GPU is rumored to be able to generate close to 600 watts of heat (CHIP+RAM)
>
> Basically the official narrative about both CPU and GPU are not thruthfull and could cause surprises for people building personal computers.
>
> So for now I am going to assume that 850 watts of cooling power will be needed to cool these two hot components.
>
> The general rule of thumb seems to be 120 mm/140 mm per 100 watts of heat.
>
> So 850/100 = 8.5 so close to 9 fans needed. Hence the need for 9 fans, basically meaning 3 x 360 mm, which would be 3 x 3 x 120 mm fans at the very least.
>
> Now I am wondering if there is a possibility to use all 3 radiator mounts, do away with the distribution plate, but where and/or how to mount a pump and a reservoir ?!?
>
> What would you do if you had this PC case and wanted to mount this hardware above, is there a way to do it with 3 radiators of 360 mm ?!?
>
> I am a complete noob with water cooling, so any help is appreciated.
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck.

https://hwbusters.com/gpu/nvidia-rtx-4090-detailed-power-analysis-ideal-power-supply/

System average power 602 W
System peak power 740 W

You cool for the average value.

The larger the water reservoir, the longer the
peak power period can last. You really need to see
graphs of power consumption, to understand the
characteristic.

And you can cool a PC, with an automotive radiator.
But your friends will laugh at you. If your water
block is copper, the automotive radiator should be
copper tubing as well (galvanic corrosion).

https://preview.redd.it/pixpb2w2eo951.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=765dec186d1e4b9fe276c8e4d2a77aad95b41e86

There are no fans on that radiator, and it relies on
its large surface area and convection cooling. It would
not take a lot of fan air velocity, to get more cooling
effort from it. The liquid flow can only be cooled to
ambient, and cannot cool below that with plain air cooling
of any radiator.

Your 4090 cannot be cooled with a water block entirely.
The power converter has waste heat too. Even the power
connector needs fan cooling on a 4090 :-/ One of the
properly-inserted connector tests had alarming temperatures.

Paul