Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 09:32:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: CGSC Sid collection for real C64's and C128's
From: traymond160@gmail.com (traym...@gmail.com)
 by: traym...@gmail.com - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 16:32 UTC

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 10:06:00 PM UTC-7, kjh...@wavecable..com wrote:
> On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 4:23:17 PM UTC-7, Terry Raymond wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been working on a Commodore project for the scene to improve on
> > a rework on the original Compute Gazette Sid collection CGSC Peter Weighill worked very hard with this
> > but renamed to long filenames exceeding the 8-bit C64 16-character limit.
> > I'm in no way putting Peter down for his work is efforts he rescued tons of Sid music files.
> >
> > The renaming process is now finished so after while will be available for downloading the following
> > the same as Peter Weighil's collection:
> > CGSC Sid files (Standard) packed into .zip archive
> > CGSC Sid files in .d81 images
> > CGSC C64/C128 Sid Players (not sure about Editors)
> > CGSC Sid Fest's shows in .d64 images
> > To unpack the sidfiles in zip format on a real C64'S/128:UNZIP64V214
> > You may need a 1581 or larger drives and UIEC2SD.
> >
> > When this is all online I will make this announcement.
> > Thanks goes to Peter Weighill he has plenty of server space for a devoted website
> > NOT available yet! Please don't bother Mr Weighill this website will not take very long.
> >
> > I also tested all Sid files mainly the
> > .MUS
> > .STR
> > .WDS
> > extensions on my UIEC2SD using the stereoplayerv10.3 since these files are mixed with
> > mono and Enhanced stereo Sid files.
> > The Stereo player will work on the UIEC2SD
> > On the UIEC2SD set the device number to device 8 or 9
> > In stereo files DELETE STEREO.CONFIG (player in drive configuration)
> > Boot stereoplayerv10.3 or earlier
> > Note: boot stereo player
> > DONT try to load a song YET!
> > Press C= logo key
> > Halfway down is F (fastload)
> > Pressing F enables ir disables FASTLOAD (fastload is not compatible with UIEC2SD)
> > Disarm fastload, now press the left back arrow key to save current config.
> > From there you can enjoy loading and playing Sid music, if you disable fastload, some may know about
> > this but for those who don't they have a right to know.
> >
> > I will announce when this is online.
> >
> > I wanted to do something to help the Commodore scene and when I discovered these issues I jumped on this
> > because of need to have more Sid music and a lot if this BTW us from Q-Link
> > Peter Weighill rescued corrupted and bad files, the best he could.
> >
> > Till then.
> Did it ever go online?

Yes Peter has a link on his website but the files are on a different server now. I finished my work in around 2018. I wasnt trying to put Mr Weighill down in anyway but hes only supporing modern PC, Tablet and Cell phone players with Sid play, Mr Weighill just forgot how a real C64 works with a limit of 16 characters and that is why some of his work wouldnt show up in the older C=64 Sid player and Stereo Player, so my work here I shortened the song names to a minimum of 12 characters, that is mentioned in the older Sid Editor before you save the song. I tested all of this on my UIEC2SD on my real C64C to make sure all file extensions will load, I would edit one Sid artist at a time, but in 5 years I did finish, I rather enjoyed this work, but happy its done for all to now enjoy *more* of this older collection of great Sid Artists. The whole collection is in a .ZIP archive so you will need to use a PC to unzip everything, then if you own a UIEC2SD you can copy the whole collection to that. I would advise to make seperate directories for each Sid artist the player seems to not like regular directories and some really unpredictable results can take place. BTW I put everything in .D81 images. Some of this is kind of clunky but if you copy the .d81 images to wherever this should work. BTW I always included the later Stereo player V10.3 on every image so youre all ready to play Sid music. Just follow my instructions if using a UIEC2SD that device does not support the older Fastload, if you do not disarm that the player will lockup. I do hope more will hopefully enjoy playing this older collection, that was my intention, and I really enjoy it as well, Enjoy!