From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:48:51 -0400
References: <uevcfb$2kglb$1@dont-email.me> <uf7oq1$gpps$1@dont-email.me> <uf87ti$fg0s$4@dont-email.me> <54aghitsekep1l3dp609i0lqrpsnstkh4h@4ax.com> <ufcs7r$1d43g$17@dont-email.me> <ufevtj.nh0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ufepsi$2vol3$2@dont-email.me> <uff581.koo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <uffnko$36oi4$1@dont-email.me> <ufhdnk.133k.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ufhc80$3jmrk$4@dont-email.me> <ufhtd7.fu4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ufhnlg$3mhia$1@dont-email.me> <ufi0ob.e30.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>
 by: Wally J - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 19:48 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote

> As I mentioned before, I've been using UNIX for over four decades, so
> I would also prefer to use Linux. The problem is that most software is
> only available for Windows and not for Linux.

Like Frank, I've been using the 'nix operating systems since the days of the DEC machines when I went to graduate school near Boston Massachusetts.

Then we moved to various Masscomp and SunOS solutions (later Solaris), well before the Linux distros started making their rounds in the community.

> So we (YTIW) use the OS which accomodates the software we need. We
> don't run an OS just for the heck of it, not even if we like the 'small
> is beautiful' paradigm of UNIX/Linux.

Like Frank, I use the OS which holds the software since it's rare that the
mothership (Apple, Microsoft, Canonical, Redhat, etc.) supplies it.

The software is what the developers think the users might want, e.g., Samba
on Linux and Columbia Appletalk allowed me to interface the Mac users with
the SunOS/Solaris users with the Windows users when I had a need for that.

> And that's why I *also* use the Linux-like Cygwin environment on
> Windows, so I have what - for *me* - is the best of both worlds.

We all used Cygwin but I didn't like the restrictions which is why I had
been running dual-boot Ubuntu/Windows for years, where the beauty of that
(if you knew how to turn off the hibernation and fastboot switches) was you
could access the file system of all three operating systems simultaneously.
<https://i.postimg.cc/fRtZFGSt/sharepod01.jpg> itunes removes functionality

<https://i.postimg.cc/NFkXsJ0X/files01.jpg> iOS/Win is 1-way & DCIM only
<https://i.postimg.cc/L8b18Zmx/files02.jpg> iOS "Files" does nothing useful
<https://i.postimg.cc/d3SGkdgr/files03.jpg> Android is two way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/QMk7tvZW/files04.jpg> Ubuntu is two way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/qqg61Rh8/files05.jpg> Ubuntu, movies _to_ iOS on USB
<https://i.postimg.cc/Jhmy9KH7/files06.jpg> Ubuntu uses iFuse for its magic
<https://i.postimg.cc/KjK4nHwf/files07.jpg> Ubuntu is two-way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xcCBngd/files08.jpg> iOS is just a dumb brick on Win
<https://i.postimg.cc/mDx3xkp4/files09.jpg> iOS only DCIM & only 1-way copy
<https://i.postimg.cc/9MGdc2s7/files10.jpg> Android is 2-way fast over USB
<https://i.postimg.cc/cChf8mx1/files11.jpg> iOS requires hacks just to copy
<https://i.postimg.cc/pVJf72fN/files12.jpg> iOS hacks very often will fail
<https://i.postimg.cc/g269S8rT/files13.jpg> How does macOS work with iOS?
<https://i.postimg.cc/s2x0f9Js/files14.jpg> Simultaneous linux, win10 & iOS

> For example I compose this response in vim and will post it with tin,
> which is a newsreader of Unix heritage (but built on tons of platforms).
> See my 'User-Agent:' header and note the '(UNIX)' part.

Like Frank, I compose all my text (including Usenet) in vim and my newsreader
is just a bunch of telnet scripts ported over from Centos days.

All the header lines are simply dictionary lookups. I don't even know what
they say as it's all handled automatically, tied to the thread & newsgroup.

That's why I think it's revealing that the iKooks think the only part of a
Usenet news message is the meaningless header wrapping paper & not the gift
of the value of the body of the intelligence inherent in the message body.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufhtoj$3mhi9$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17197&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17197

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:32:19 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 20:32 UTC

On 10/3/23 14:48, Wally J wrote:
> Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote
>
>> As I mentioned before, I've been using UNIX for over four decades, so
>> I would also prefer to use Linux. The problem is that most software is
>> only available for Windows and not for Linux.
>
> Like Frank, I've been using the 'nix operating systems since the days of the DEC machines when I went to graduate school near Boston Massachusetts.
>
> Then we moved to various Masscomp and SunOS solutions (later Solaris), well before the Linux distros started making their rounds in the community.

Neat!
> We all used Cygwin but I didn't like the restrictions which is why I had
> been running dual-boot Ubuntu/Windows for years, where the beauty of that
> (if you knew how to turn off the hibernation and fastboot switches) was you
> could access the file system of all three operating systems simultaneously.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/fRtZFGSt/sharepod01.jpg> itunes removes functionality
>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/NFkXsJ0X/files01.jpg> iOS/Win is 1-way & DCIM only
> <https://i.postimg.cc/L8b18Zmx/files02.jpg> iOS "Files" does nothing useful
> <https://i.postimg.cc/d3SGkdgr/files03.jpg> Android is two way, everything
> <https://i.postimg.cc/QMk7tvZW/files04.jpg> Ubuntu is two way, everything
> <https://i.postimg.cc/qqg61Rh8/files05.jpg> Ubuntu, movies _to_ iOS on USB
> <https://i.postimg.cc/Jhmy9KH7/files06.jpg> Ubuntu uses iFuse for its magic
> <https://i.postimg.cc/KjK4nHwf/files07.jpg> Ubuntu is two-way, everything
> <https://i.postimg.cc/3xcCBngd/files08.jpg> iOS is just a dumb brick on Win
> <https://i.postimg.cc/mDx3xkp4/files09.jpg> iOS only DCIM & only 1-way copy
> <https://i.postimg.cc/9MGdc2s7/files10.jpg> Android is 2-way fast over USB
> <https://i.postimg.cc/cChf8mx1/files11.jpg> iOS requires hacks just to copy
> <https://i.postimg.cc/pVJf72fN/files12.jpg> iOS hacks very often will fail
> <https://i.postimg.cc/g269S8rT/files13.jpg> How does macOS work with iOS?
> <https://i.postimg.cc/s2x0f9Js/files14.jpg> Simultaneous linux, win10 & iOS

Makes sense, Linux can handle NTFS/FAT32 systems pretty well. How did
you get windows to read the ext4 partition?

> That's why I think it's revealing that the iKooks think the only part of a
> Usenet news message is the meaningless header wrapping paper & not the gift
> of the value of the body of the intelligence inherent in the message body.

I'll be honest, I can't see the broken header that much. Then again,
Thunderbird could be hiding it.