"Besides, I think [Slackware] sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?" (By Patrick Volkerding)

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player) (Doh!)

SubjectAuthor
* M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player)Alan Browne
+* M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player)Jolly Roger
|`* M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player)Percival John Hackworth
| `- M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player)Alan Browne
`* M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player)Alan Browne
 `* M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player) (Doh!)Alan Browne
  `* M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player) (Doh!)Jolly Roger
   `* M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player) (Doh!)Alan Browne
    `- M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player) (Doh!)Jolly Roger

1
M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player)

<iFT5N.7889$Ck2e.6334@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17512&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17512

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Subject: M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 19:35:26 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 00:35 UTC

Downloaded the free version (personal use declaration) of VMWare Fusion
Player.

Installed.

DL'd Ubuntu for ARM as an ISO.

Dropped that into the Fusion installer.

Fastest OS installation I've ever seen. Lickity-split - near instant.

Ubuntu seems to work fine, but I'll have to play some more with it and
install some useful things first.

Should I get Win 11 for ARM? Don't see any reason to other than curiosity.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player)

<krqh2qFhvcsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17513&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17513

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player)
Date: 18 Nov 2023 01:07:38 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 01:07 UTC

On 2023-11-18, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> Downloaded the free version (personal use declaration) of VMWare Fusion
> Player.
>
> Installed.
>
> DL'd Ubuntu for ARM as an ISO.
>
> Dropped that into the Fusion installer.
>
> Fastest OS installation I've ever seen. Lickity-split - near instant.
>
> Ubuntu seems to work fine, but I'll have to play some more with it and
> install some useful things first.
>
> Should I get Win 11 for ARM? Don't see any reason to other than curiosity.

I would try it. I haven't actually purchased an M-anything Mac yet. But
the day is coming...

JR

Re: M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player)

<krqms9Fj4c0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17514&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17514

From: pjh@nanoworks.com (Percival John Hackworth)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 18 Nov 2023 02:46:34 GMT
 by: Percival John Hackwo - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 02:46 UTC

On Nov 17, 2023 at 5:07:38 PM PST, "Jolly Roger" <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2023-11-18, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>
>> Downloaded the free version (personal use declaration) of VMWare Fusion
>> Player.
>>
>> Installed.
>>
>> DL'd Ubuntu for ARM as an ISO.
>>
>> Dropped that into the Fusion installer.
>>
>> Fastest OS installation I've ever seen. Lickity-split - near instant.
>>
>> Ubuntu seems to work fine, but I'll have to play some more with it and
>> install some useful things first.
>>
>> Should I get Win 11 for ARM? Don't see any reason to other than curiosity.
>
> I would try it. I haven't actually purchased an M-anything Mac yet. But
> the day is coming...

I bought VMware Fusion 13 so I could try and get my testing environment
running on M1. When M$ offered a $30 Windows 11 license, I bought one. It's
running just fine on my M1. I update it regularly paralleling the Windows 7
and 10 environments on my Intel Mac. One thing thought. There's no Shared
Folder feature. I don't know if that's Windows 11 or ARM. It uses OneDrive for
it's shared folder. I have to copy files to OneDrive with rclone or
OneCommander or some other utility to install them. Or copy the files from
within the VM.

It defitely starts a lot faster than W10 on Intel.

Re: M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player)

<QS36N.7496$xeV4.3109@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17515&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17515

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 09:29:04 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 14:29 UTC

On 2023-11-17 19:35, Alan Browne wrote:

> Downloaded the free version (personal use declaration) of VMWare Fusion
> Player.
>
> Installed.
>
> DL'd Ubuntu for ARM as an ISO.
>
> Dropped that into the Fusion installer.
>
> Fastest OS installation I've ever seen.  Lickity-split - near instant.
>
> Ubuntu seems to work fine, but I'll have to play some more with it and
> install some useful things first.

Belay that - I had run Ubuntu once, got network connection, did some
configuration items, etc. then shut it down.

This am it won't start and returns to the boot manager. Don't feel like
sorting this out today ...

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player)

<1046N.7497$xeV4.6782@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17516&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17516

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 09:38:52 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 14:38 UTC

On 2023-11-17 21:46, Percival John Hackworth wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2023 at 5:07:38 PM PST, "Jolly Roger" <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-11-18, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Downloaded the free version (personal use declaration) of VMWare Fusion
>>> Player.
>>>
>>> Installed.
>>>
>>> DL'd Ubuntu for ARM as an ISO.
>>>
>>> Dropped that into the Fusion installer.
>>>
>>> Fastest OS installation I've ever seen. Lickity-split - near instant.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu seems to work fine, but I'll have to play some more with it and
>>> install some useful things first.
>>>
>>> Should I get Win 11 for ARM? Don't see any reason to other than curiosity.
>>
>> I would try it. I haven't actually purchased an M-anything Mac yet. But
>> the day is coming...
>
> I bought VMware Fusion 13 so I could try and get my testing environment
> running on M1. When M$ offered a $30 Windows 11 license, I bought one. It's
> running just fine on my M1. I update it regularly paralleling the Windows 7
> and 10 environments on my Intel Mac. One thing thought. There's no Shared
> Folder feature. I don't know if that's Windows 11 or ARM. It uses OneDrive for
> it's shared folder. I have to copy files to OneDrive with rclone or
> OneCommander or some other utility to install them. Or copy the files from
> within the VM.
>
> It defitely starts a lot faster than W10 on Intel.

I'll wait until the urge is strong - good to know it works well(ish).

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player) (Doh!)

<Cu56N.38385$Wzw6.28926@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17517&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17517

Subject: Re: M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player) (Doh!)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 11:19:45 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 16:19 UTC

On 2023-11-18 09:29, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-11-17 19:35, Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>> Downloaded the free version (personal use declaration) of VMWare
>> Fusion Player.
>>
>> Installed.
>>
>> DL'd Ubuntu for ARM as an ISO.
>>
>> Dropped that into the Fusion installer.
>>
>> Fastest OS installation I've ever seen.  Lickity-split - near instant.
>>
>> Ubuntu seems to work fine, but I'll have to play some more with it and
>> install some useful things first.
>
> Belay that - I had run Ubuntu once, got network connection, did some
> configuration items, etc. then shut it down.
>
> This am it won't start and returns to the boot manager.  Don't feel like
> sorting this out today ...

Turns out I was running off of the ISO as a demo and hadn't actually
installed a runable VM. <blush>. Compounding this I had already
deleted the ISO.

The demo install is helpful in that the actual installer appears on the
desktop of the demo VM. Of course I didn't see that yesterday evening.

Big clue was that when running in demo mode it didn't go through the
usual language/location/account-creds procedure but of course I wasn't
paying attention...

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player) (Doh!)

<krsedrF1smdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17518&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17518

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 18 Nov 2023 18:34:35 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 18:34 UTC

On 2023-11-18, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-11-18 09:29, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2023-11-17 19:35, Alan Browne wrote:
>>>
>>> Downloaded the free version (personal use declaration) of VMWare
>>> Fusion Player.
>>>
>>> Installed.
>>>
>>> DL'd Ubuntu for ARM as an ISO.
>>>
>>> Dropped that into the Fusion installer.
>>>
>>> Fastest OS installation I've ever seen.  Lickity-split - near
>>> instant.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu seems to work fine, but I'll have to play some more with it
>>> and install some useful things first.
>>
>> Belay that - I had run Ubuntu once, got network connection, did some
>> configuration items, etc. then shut it down.
>>
>> This am it won't start and returns to the boot manager.  Don't feel
>> like sorting this out today ...
>
> Turns out I was running off of the ISO as a demo and hadn't actually
> installed a runable VM. <blush>. Compounding this I had already
> deleted the ISO.

I've done that more than once. 🤣👍🏼

JR

Re: M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player) (Doh!)

<H396N.42727$_Oab.40265@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17519&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17519

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 15:24:07 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 20:24 UTC

On 2023-11-18 13:34, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-11-18, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

>>> Belay that - I had run Ubuntu once, got network connection, did some
>>> configuration items, etc. then shut it down.
>>>
>>> This am it won't start and returns to the boot manager.  Don't feel
>>> like sorting this out today ...
>>
>> Turns out I was running off of the ISO as a demo and hadn't actually
>> installed a runable VM. <blush>. Compounding this I had already
>> deleted the ISO.
>
> I've done that more than once. 🤣👍🏼

I'll take that as face-saving support!

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: M3 with Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion (Player) (Doh!)

<krso17F3ri5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17520&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17520

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 18 Nov 2023 21:18:31 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 21:18 UTC

On 2023-11-18, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-11-18 13:34, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Turns out I was running off of the ISO as a demo and hadn't actually
>>> installed a runable VM. <blush>. Compounding this I had already
>>> deleted the ISO.
>>
>> I've done that more than once. 🤣👍🏼
>
> I'll take that as face-saving support!

Happens to the best of us (and the rest of us). 🙂

JR