"I prefer to think that God is not dead, just drunk" -- John Huston

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / M3 memory utilization

SubjectAuthor
* M3 memory utilizationAlan Browne
`* M3 memory utilizationgtr
 `* M3 memory utilizationAlan Browne
  `* M3 memory utilizationgtr
   `- M3 memory utilizationAlan Browne

1
M3 memory utilization

<LaFdN.30907$q3F7.17268@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17585&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17585

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Subject: M3 memory utilization
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 09:39:38 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:39 UTC

On my i7 iMac, with 24 GB of memory, it seemed happy to settle around 10
- 12 GB of memory in use at any given time for whatever my "usual" load
of apps was. The apps I use in daily grind are rarely shut down.
When using more hungry apps, of course that would grow - but they would
be shut down usually the same day.

I wanted to get more memory with this M3 iMac ... up to 48 GB to have
breathing room and some future proofness margin. Alas, at the end of my
rope waiting wise, it was offered with 24GB max.

Given the Mx memory "unification" I expected there to be less memory
utilization with the same typical loaded apps for my workday.

But ... it seems to have settled at around the same levels as on the
prior iMac, indeed, typically 14 .. 15 GB are in use. The OS is leaving
more of itself "loaded" at any given time. Kudos speedwise I guess.

Chrome on Mx seems to forget to deallocate memory. Every few days I
have to blow it off to recover a couple GB of memory. I assume that
good languages and programs these days request memory from the OS and
that it can be returned to the OS. Chrome devs don't seem to have
gotten the memo.

Regrettably, Chrome is still my go to for many things, but I use Safari
more and more, esp. as I use the Password feature of the Mac more. Just
wish Chrome had access to it.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: M3 memory utilization

<ul7k8g$390um$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17586&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17586

From: xxx@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: M3 memory utilization
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:26:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:26 UTC

On Dec 11, 2023 at 6:39:38 AM PST, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
wrote:

> On my i7 iMac, with 24 GB of memory, it seemed happy to settle around 10
> - 12 GB of memory in use at any given time for whatever my "usual" load
> of apps was. The apps I use in daily grind are rarely shut down.
> When using more hungry apps, of course that would grow - but they would
> be shut down usually the same day.
>
> I wanted to get more memory with this M3 iMac ... up to 48 GB to have
> breathing room and some future proofness margin. Alas, at the end of my
> rope waiting wise, it was offered with 24GB max.
>
> Given the Mx memory "unification" I expected there to be less memory
> utilization with the same typical loaded apps for my workday.
>
> But ... it seems to have settled at around the same levels as on the
> prior iMac, indeed, typically 14 .. 15 GB are in use. The OS is leaving
> more of itself "loaded" at any given time. Kudos speedwise I guess.
>
> Chrome on Mx seems to forget to deallocate memory. Every few days I
> have to blow it off to recover a couple GB of memory. I assume that
> good languages and programs these days request memory from the OS and
> that it can be returned to the OS. Chrome devs don't seem to have
> gotten the memo.

How to you perform this "blow off" to recover memory?

> Regrettably, Chrome is still my go to for many things, but I use Safari
> more and more, esp. as I use the Password feature of the Mac more. Just
> wish Chrome had access to it.

Re: M3 memory utilization

<_EIdN.17068$p%Mb.4262@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17587&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17587

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:36:42 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:36 UTC

On 2023-12-11 13:26, gtr wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2023 at 6:39:38 AM PST, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
> wrote:

>> Chrome on Mx seems to forget to deallocate memory. Every few days I
>> have to blow it off to recover a couple GB of memory. I assume that
>> good languages and programs these days request memory from the OS and
>> that it can be returned to the OS. Chrome devs don't seem to have
>> gotten the memo.
>

> How to you perform this "blow off" to recover memory?

Really? Quit the program. The OS recovers all memory allocated to it.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: M3 memory utilization

<ul910k$3is43$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17588&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17588

From: xxx@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 07:10:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 07:10 UTC

On Dec 11, 2023 at 10:36:42 AM PST, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
wrote:

> On 2023-12-11 13:26, gtr wrote:
>> On Dec 11, 2023 at 6:39:38 AM PST, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
>> wrote:
>
>>> Chrome on Mx seems to forget to deallocate memory. Every few days I
>>> have to blow it off to recover a couple GB of memory. I assume that
>>> good languages and programs these days request memory from the OS and
>>> that it can be returned to the OS. Chrome devs don't seem to have
>>> gotten the memo.
>>

>> How do you perform this "blow off" to recover memory?
>
> Really? Quit the program. The OS recovers all memory allocated to it.

Ah! I call that quitting the program. I've never heard it called a blow off.

Re: M3 memory utilization

<n%ZdN.20796$83n7.12339@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17589&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17589

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 09:21:07 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 14:21 UTC

On 2023-12-12 02:10, gtr wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2023 at 10:36:42 AM PST, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-12-11 13:26, gtr wrote:

>>> How do you perform this "blow off" to recover memory?
>>
>> Really? Quit the program. The OS recovers all memory allocated to it.
>
> Ah! I call that quitting the program. I've never heard it called a blow off.

Apologies, thought it was obvious.