From: usenet@stephenthomascole.com (Stephen Thomas Cole)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.systems,comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: Re: A retrospective look at Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:36:39 +0000
 by: Stephen Thomas Cole - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:36 UTC

In article <slrns4ct35.ero.g.kreme@m1mini.local>, Lewis
<g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:

> In message <super70s-C1D707.07185208032021@reader02.eternal-september.org>
> super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
> > In article <X6ydnXue7Jgg5qD9nZ2dnUU7-amdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
> > ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>
> >> http://morrick.me/archives/9220
>
> > Snow Leopard was very stable but so was Tiger, if you're going the retro
> > route I never saw an advantage of Snow Leopard over Tiger as long as you
> > have a machine that can still run Tiger. With Tiger you have the
> > advantage of the regularly updated TenFourFox and its better security
> > than Firefox 45.9 on Snow Leopard. Unfortunately the developer of
> > TenFourFox doesn't develop for anything past Leopard and the Power Mac
> > but he must have a good reason.
>
> Nope, the reason is he wants to write for PowerPC.
>
> There are MANY reasons to prefer Snow Leopard over Tiger, but both of
> them as so ancient no one should be using either,

Tiger was the first Mac OS I ever used back in 2007, so it has a place
in my heart for sure. I eventually upgraded to Leopard but kinda always
felt Tiger was the nicer version of the OS. Once I got into vintage
Macs, if I was installing a flavour of OSX then Tiger was always my
preference over anything else.

I did eventually upgrade my MacBook to Snow Leopard and used that for
years on end, resisting further upgrades for quite a few revisions.
When I did finally get a new "bleeding edge" Mac Mini around 2016, the
latest OS on it was quite a culture shock!

On balance, I think Tiger was my favourite OSX, it always felt more
comfortable than anything else.

--
Fleet Fellow